[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain why Marvel's handicapping the X-Men
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: send more sentinels.png (1 MB, 878x818) Image search: [Google]
send more sentinels.png
1 MB, 878x818
Can someone explain why Marvel's handicapping the X-Men in the comics? I hear people say it's to weaken the brand so they can get the movie rights from Fox, but that doesn't seem right. They don't have room to put out any X-Men movies. Disney's already putting out 3 MCU films a year, plus a Star Wars movie, plus 2-4 animated films a year. Any more and they start cannibalizing themselves.

Are they doing it for TV? Netflix money probably wouldn't be worth it but I could maybe see them trying to make a broadcast X-Men show.
>>
I don't know man, but I just find it really disappointing how much bullshit like that affects the stories.

Like the whole cramming Mystique centre stage because JLaw is popular, even though it makes no goddamn sense with the intrinsic logic of the world. Like, imagine if in Dragonball they suddenly turned some goober from the Ginyu Force into this universal symbol of heroism for warriors everywhere.

Sure that might be good for a laugh, but when you think about it for more than one second it's just like "fucking what?"
>>
They are just being spiteful
>>
>>83914708
i know it's like shoehorning batman into a superman movie just because batman is more populat
>>
>>83914708
I haven't kept up with recent X-Men since AvX. Is that happening in the comics too or is it just the movies?
>>
>>83914527
X Men fans buy X books regardless of quality so marvel can make them as shit as they want, focus on other properties, and X men will still sell.
>>
>>83914859
That might work if they were just kinda neglecting X-Men, but not when they're practically erasing their most popular franchise from existence.
>>
>>83914708

I'm not super up-to-date, but I just finished the post-AvX run on Uncanny and suddenly Mystique becomes a huge important deal.

She was still a villain in the eyes of the heroes (Jean Grey School, Cyke's school, SHIELD) but she took over Madripoor and made it into her vision of a mutant paradise and was completely entwined with the whole run, like, everyone's suddenly acknowledging how cunning and ambitious and formidable she is out of nowhere.

It felt just as weird as in the movies.
>>
>>83914954

Sorry, meant to quote >>83914805
>>
>>83914527
>I hear people say it's to weaken the brand so they can get the movie rights from Fox, but that doesn't seem right
That's indeed silly. The X-Men comics have no influence on the movies. It's the other way around.
>>
They blew their load by releasing like twenty X books a month during the 90s and people got sick of them.
>>
>>83914527
It's an enigma, the claims about Fox are unfounded since when the X-Men do get good stories and writers they're ignored, yet if the slightest problem happens it's suddenly all part of the conspiracy.

Honestly to me it's possible there is some subtle bird flipping intended, that's just business really, but it's also possible the writers just don't know where else to take the mutants and like EVERY OTHER team, group, etc they're just going through the period where they either get bad stuff or nothing put out.

>>83914708
This post also brings up an interesting counter to the idea Marvel is doing only negatives to affect things. Deadpool is over at Fox and not only has his book continued on without switching the writing for more Way but they also recently had him do a team up or two and made the benefactor of an Avengers team. If Marvel honestly felt as much hubris as the plot leads us to believe it would be the other way around.
>>
>>83915450
>memeing instead of referring to the sales

Why do you people do this?
>>
>>83914527
After the issues regarding Quicksilver and Scarlet Witche's movie rights they don't want any more material that could be used in the MCU being entangled in the X-Men license.
>>
>>83915571
Deadpool is a personal favorite character of the chief editor.
>>
>>83915595
They're more interested in being internet cool than actual make a statement.
>>
>>83914527
i dont understand it either. the whole point, the ONLY selling point of comics is "We aren't restricted by who got what adaptation rights to what, nor by the content appropriate to different forms of adaptations"
so you use all your characters, promote them all, include mature content, and there you go. that's what made comics popular.
>>
>>83914527
Has anyone ever before told you that random assholes online are not the best sources for information?
>>
>>83914527
>I hear people say it's to weaken the brand so they can get the movie rights from Fox, but that doesn't seem right. They don't have room to put out any X-Men movies. Disney's already putting out 3 MCU films a year, plus a Star Wars movie, plus 2-4 animated films a year. Any more and they start cannibalizing themselves.

Think about this: Originally they planned to put Black Panther and Captain Marvel earlier, but then when they made a deal with Sony, they pushed Panther and Marvel back further to leave room for Spider-Man. If they got back the rights to X-Men or came to a favorable deal with Fox, then they'd move their films back further to fit in the X-Men films.

And the reason they want to weaken the brand is to emphasize the MCU (and Spider-Man) over the X-Men.

Remember what Tom Brevoort said?

"If you had two things, and on one you earned 100% of the revenues from the efforts that you put into making it, and the other you earned a much smaller percentage for the same amount of time and effort, you’d be more likely to concentrate more heavily on the first, wouldn’t you?"

So for Fox stuff, they have to pay Fox a cut every time they produce movie-related merchandise like action figures. They don't have to do this with MCU or Spider-Man film merchandise, where they get "100% of revenues." If they merchandised Quicksilver they'd inadvertently promote Fox's Quicksilver.

Fantastic Four got canceled not because of low sales but because they wanted to not promote something that Fox was doing. Low sales was just an excuse because if it were the main priority, then Silver Surfer and the Inhumans comics would've stayed canceled. X-Men sells too high for them to dare cancel, though. But they want to deemphasize them so it'd avoid a scenario like what happened with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.
>>
>>83917465
>Fantastic Four got canceled not because of low sales but because they wanted to not promote something that Fox was doing. Low sales was just an excuse because if it were the main priority, then Silver Surfer and the Inhumans comics would've stayed canceled. X-Men sells too high for them to dare cancel, though. But they want to deemphasize them so it'd avoid a scenario like what happened with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.

It's Ike Perlmutter doing this. He's a spiteful old fuck and he's doing his best to poison the brands he can't own bar Spider-Man. This is a guy who murdered kids during the Six Day War, you really think upsetting some fans is going to bother him?
>>
Well in All New after AvX it did seem like they were trying to devalue X-Men in favor of Inhumans. They even put Inhumans in their SHIELD show and planned a movie.

But Inhumans isn't doing well book wise and now that Fiege mothballed the Inhumans movie you'd think they'd be more open to X-Men books. Look at Deadpool, a film they don't have the rights to but still got a major push comic wise after his movies success. He's got 2 books, an Avengers book, and it seems like every 2 months Deadpool standalone gets an 8 or 9 dollar special extended edition book.

So the X-office doesn't really make any sense right now. Killing them off with a new M-Pox and segregating them from the main universe with the sole exception of Wolverine 23.

Personally I figure it's Tom Brevoorts personal bias and dislike to them.
>>
>>83918418
>But Inhumans isn't doing well book wise and now that Fiege mothballed the Inhumans movie you'd think they'd be more open to X-Men books.
Remember that Marvel Studios is no longer reporting to Marvel publishing and that Ike still has control over publishing and TV. The other story is that Feige wanted to do a Captain Marvel film and that Inhumans was Perlmutter's pet project.

Agents of SHIELD will probably still involve the Inhumans.

>Look at Deadpool, a film they don't have the rights to but still got a major push comic wise after his movies success. He's got 2 books, an Avengers book, and it seems like every 2 months Deadpool standalone gets an 8 or 9 dollar special extended edition book.

Deadpool still hasn't been brought into the mobile games. But he does sell far more than the X-Men normally do, which might be why he's an exception. Plus it probably might've helped that the film used a suit design very close to the comics, making it easier for Marvel to market.
>>
Any xmen comic that marvel makes fox has the rights too. So since they are making xmen comics anymore fox has nothing to use.

They are teaming up deadpool with avengers because fox can't use any of the avengers so it's a win win.
>>
>>83919502
But Fox could make movies for decades with the stories that have already been written before the MCU was even a thing. And Fox could always write new stories. The ones they've been making only vaguely follow the comics anyway.
>>
>>83919502
Movies only get about 10 years until they reboot anyways. 15 if the money is good. Actors age and lose interest. The newer fans aren't caught up and are hesitant to jump into an ongoing story.

So it's safe to say you'll get an act one origin. Act 2 will be one of the better acclaimed book events. And act 3 will probably be two book events squished together in hopes of topping act 2. Then a reboot. Keep in mind that the acts aren't necessarily stand alone film sequels as evident with marvel who is using the "phase" terminology to denote acts.

Days of future past was the exception because while it was act 2 of the reboot and act 1 of the recon xmen universe.
>>
>>83919896
Anyone else think it's really weird how they handle the continuity in the movies? Instead of just starting things from scratch after a while they write them like comics where there's some time travel/interdimensional retcon bullshit to change the history and go on from there.

I think that's holding the movies back. It's just too cumbersome and confusing. Plus at the end of Days of Future Past everyone is 20 years older than they're supposed to be.
>>
>>83919593
you know, the only movie lifted straight from comics was DOFP, and even that movie was a completely different plot than comic
>>
I just want Gambit, Sage, and Pixie back.

Gambit's last series was pretty fucking awesome, did it just sell like horse shit? (I'm guessing, since it got canceled.)
>>
>>83917465

Brand recognition, sales tactics pushing what you have, more familiarity to more profitable future properties ect. ect.

It sucks to be an x-men fan, but its the way things are. They cant do anything and everything with x-men, so they do anything and everything with who they can.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.