[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm honestly surprised with how good DC rebirth is, what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 9
File: tumblr_o7lj8rfnet1s5fhi7o1_1280.jpg (110 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o7lj8rfnet1s5fhi7o1_1280.jpg
110 KB, 640x360
I'm honestly surprised with how good DC rebirth is, what do you guys think about it?
>>
>>83911924
like 70% of /co/ are DC bias at least when it comes to comics, so I would say most of us here like it
>>
My response depends entirely on how well they do collected editions.

I am patiently awaiting the heck out of Green Arrow, and possibly Wonder Woman, need to see more of that.

When do 'Stroke, Hellblazer and Blue Beetle drop again?
>>
>>83911924
I haven't read one book I liked.
>>
File: newrebirthlist.jpg (3 MB, 1200x4773) Image search: [Google]
newrebirthlist.jpg
3 MB, 1200x4773
I've been pleased so far. Everything has come out at least somewhat good, if not great. I'm very excited for this Wednesday, when WW, Flash, and Aquaman get their real #1s.

>>83911947
Pretty much this.
>>
File: 1466179618940.gif (744 KB, 245x300) Image search: [Google]
1466179618940.gif
744 KB, 245x300
>>83912087
>People with opinion's that differ from my own
>They must all just be mindless drones

Come on now anon
>>
It's fixed some of the biggest lingering problems with the New 52 and finally let me accept it as not the destruction of something I loved, but as another era in the long history of the DCU.

Most of the really shitty things are getting swept under the rug.
>>
>>83912196
This, but
>Harper still exists
>Cass is still orphan
>Red Lanterns are back to lel-evil status.
>The Watchmen angle is stupid.

Except those things I have no problems with Rebirth.
>>
Most of the rebirth one shots were meh/shit but every #1 so far has been good to fantastic
>>
All oneshots except for GA were meh, but the #1s were a lot better

I'm expecting the quality to go down when we get to more of the b and c listers cause no way are BOP or RHATO going to be good.
>>
>>83912408
Those two, the Harley books besides SS, Batgirl, and HJatGLC are the only ones I'm really worried about. Still stuff like Priest Deathstroke coming.
>>
>>83912408
idk, Geoff personally picked those people for BoP and their latest interviews make it sound like they've been actually reading the source material

but yeah, RHATO is a lost cause
>>
>>83912274
I'm still gonna wait to see how the Watchmen angle works out. The Hypercrisis threads have led me to believe that it's all going to be metaphorical in the end.
>>
I like Wonder Woman and Superman, but hate the Batfamily, is there a Batman book without Batfamily? I liked Grayson because he was his own thing, not a Robin.

I am also going to miss smaller titles like Sinestro and Secret Six.
>>
>>83912535
Nightwing will have some of them but it's mostly him doing Owl shit so you might be a little safer.
>>
>>83912502
>it's all going to be metaphorical in the end.
Johns has been saying that this is Metaphorical ever since the beginning
>>
>>83912535
Batman is the best you'll get, outside of a panel here or there featuring Duke.
All-Star Batman is where Snyder is writing his Duke: Year One and villains
Tec is Batwoman, Tim, Cass and Steph + Clayface.
Nightwing is going to be mostly solo with the CoO outside of maybe some occasional Damian
Batgirl will be BatFam free in Singapore
Damian is in Teen Titans and Super Sons
>>
>>83912274
I'm pretty bummed about the Red Lanterns. I was a huge fan of Guy with them. Now all of them are back to mindless drones following Atrocitus, and Atrocitus is still retaining his shitty New 52 characterization.
>>
>>83911924
Nostalgia Pandering on Infinite Earths.
>>
>>83912988
Outside of Superman none of the books so far are really nostalgia pandering
>>
>>83913054
I was talking more about the Rebirth concept.
>>
>>83911924
Didn't care for most of the Rebirth oneshots but the #1s so far have been rather solid.
>>
>>83913054
Flash, Green Arrow, and Titans are totally nostalgia pandering.
>>
>>83911947
>/co/ is the one board with actual good taste
>>
>>83911924
I liked DC before Rebirth and I continue liking them. I really dug both King and Seeley on Grayson, so even though I'm pissed that the series had to end, I'm at least glad they're on two big titles.
I hope they'll continue to do well, because I hope that people will also pick up stuff like Young Animal and we'll get some more out-there books again.
>>
Really? GA is the only book I could call good.
>>
>>83911924
I found a old forum post on some websites asking what if they brought Watchmen into main DCU continuity and how much it would suck, had a hardy laugh.
>>
I think it's starting out strong enough. I haven't read anything that was insultingly bad from it yet.
>>
Didn't really care for the one shots, but the #1s have been good.
>>
Pretty fucking bad, honestly.

I had high hopes for the creative teams on Wonder Woman and Batman but even those were pretty unexciting.
>>
>All this Rebirth hype
It happened for DCYou and it's happening now: the books haven't been outright offensively bad yet, so everyone is ascribing quality to them that is still, presently, only potential. The actual books are fucking mediocre, people are just desperate for DC to not be shit. Soon enough, people will realize nothing interesting is happening and sales will tank again.

Fuck everything.
>>
I found rebirth itself to be weal as fuck. Geoff basically wrote an empty nostalgia trip with no substance that everyone for some reason was blow. Away by.
"Oh my God wally is here and he's doin wally west stuff in His kid flash costume. This is So goddamn deep!"
The rest of it has ranged from boring shit to really good. And honestly the only standouts that felt really good were green arrow and aquaman so far. Green lanterns is surprisingly not shit but...trust me it's Humphries. It'll be shit.
But stuff like the superman books or the flash or titans were all just horrifyingly mediocre. Dective comics was outright dull shit as was wonder woman and batman felt good and almost really good.

Overall it feels like dc is playing it safe with fans. Basically pandering to our nostalgia. I'm still hopefull though. Detctive comics looks like it could be interesting. And wonder woman has a good team on it. Also I can't wait for young animal and doom patrol.
>>
>>83913054
Titans was a fucking clip episode of a tv shot showing you the old fun times. It was the height of pandering.
>>
I haven't read a single book that I liked. At least Marvel "totally not reboot" had Vision. I think I've finally outgrown the big two.
>>
File: same shit.jpg (63 KB, 473x339) Image search: [Google]
same shit.jpg
63 KB, 473x339
The only difference is that we're not getting minor titles anymore
>>
>>83916400
oops, Green Lanterns is now tied, forgot to change
>>
>>83913054

Superman isn't even really nostalgia pandering. Yeah he's the "Real" Superman but he has nothing of Supermans old life except for Lois. He isn't even named Clark Kent anymore
>>
>>83916352
Yeah I though Titans was the weakest, and the worst in this regard. Still, they can probably build something solid out of this though.
>>
>>83915672
link
>>
I'm enjoying it much more that I thought especially the Green Arrow book.
>>
>>83916246
>interesting is happening and sales will tank again

They didn't go up with DCYou though. DC won't be beating Marvel a few months down the road but it's going to look like the big 2 again
>>
>>83916516

DC won't be beating Marvel a few months down the road because Marvel is about to announce all their new #1s for September which will drown out most of DC's current success.
>>
File: Mai Husbando.jpg (892 KB, 3240x2160) Image search: [Google]
Mai Husbando.jpg
892 KB, 3240x2160
>>83916246
DCYou had a lot of good stuff, though.

Like an astonishingly high level of quality. Thing is, it was a natural progression of a lot of good things that had been brewing over in the Bat Office under Mark Doyle.

Catwoman, Gotham by Midnight, Gotham Academy, Grayson, Batgirl, all that stuff lead to some really neat, genre-diverse things across DC.

Rebirth is that, meshing with a larger respect of older things fans wanted, and stuff characters were lacking.
>>
>>83916547
I think that things might finally be swaying. I can't wait for harder numbers, but Civil War II is by all accounts tanking hard, and most everybody who runs a comic shop seems to be expressing disdain for Marvel's bullshit sales ploys, which egregiously rely upon #1 incentivized variants.

Things might change, anon.
>>
>>83916721
nice optimism but it won't happen anon
>>
As soon as I realized the Rebirth issues were setup for what follows, I was able to accept them for what they are, basically as prologues. Since I see them that way, I'll rank them based on how excited they got me for what follows:

>Green Arrow > Flash > Wonder Woman > Titans > Green Lanterns > Superman
>>
well being one of the few people who liked NuSupes I'm kind of upset that they're dumping him off for old Supes.

I get why they're doing it, especially by going back to the old numbering for action. It's just I wanted to keep up with NuSupes.
>>
>>83912502
>The Hypercrisis threads have led me to believe that it's all going to be metaphorical in the end.

Hypercrisis threads should've also taught you that it doesn't matter what was intended, you can interpret it as whatever the fuck metaphor you want.
>>
>>83916400
I would do this with the actual #1's and not the Rebirth specials. The specials are more like primers and stage setters, I don't believe any of them thus far have acted as the first part of their books' actual first story arc.
>>
>>83917270
Green Arrow
>>
>>83916547

And then those sales will drop like a rock like they have with each relaunch. But anybody who thinks DC won't be in a better place with Rebirth than they were with You is retarded. The double Shipping of Batman and Justice League alone will cover the sales of about 16 DCYou books
>>
>>83916246
>It happened for DCYou
The fuck it did. DCYou sold like shit from the outset and zero hype about any of it's titles despite some of them being goat.
>>
So is Flash going to fuck up the Nu Universe or is it Dr Manhattan.

Or is this just one big nana nana boo boo to Arch Wizard Alan Moore and his anti capitalism anti DC talk by bringing it into the DC cape verse. Like what they did with Constantine?
>>
>>83917344
Was that labeled part 1 of the story? I mean, it followed up from it but issue one stood up just fine on its own. IMO, it was the stronger issue.
>>
>>83917129
I liked him and pre-Flashpoint stuff when done well. I would probably not care about (at least temporarily) pushing him to the side if the pre-Flashpoint Superman stuff was done well, but it's pretty shitty. Not much to get excited over outside of the hope that the Kal-L theory is right because I think it's kind of cute if he and Kal-El ended up having this switched roles thing where Kal-L is the younger guy while Kal-El is the older outsider from a different world married to Lois.
>>
>>83916271
>Geoff basically wrote an empty nostalgia trip with no substance
I don't want to be an unironic 2deep4u fag but this is objectively not true. Rebirth had a fuck tonne of subtext (both in verse and meta)
>>
>>83911924
Meh it's boring.
>>
>>83917389
When done well is key here. I was honestly enjoying how Pak was getting back to the honest we're all in this together Superman. Tomasi is fine more or less so I'm optimistic for the standalone superman book.

It's Jurgens and Action I'm worried about. He's going back to Pre Supes retaining all of his history, including the Death of Superman and Lex Jr arc. The very story he was the major architect for.
>>
>Nostalgia pandering is wrong

Nah fuck that. Salting the earth and trying to start from scratch is whats wrong
>>
>>83917560
Yeah Tomasi doesn't interest me but I think he'll be readable I guess. Jurgens is already a disappointment and I'm sure it will get worse. Sucks not having a Clark book I actively want to read but the side books mostly seem ok at least based on interviews (we'll see on the execution) so I guess it's not all bad.
>>
File: 1462197764627.jpg (65 KB, 540x487) Image search: [Google]
1462197764627.jpg
65 KB, 540x487
Jurgen's Superman is the only book that I didn't enjoy out of the issues I've purchased.

Overall, really good launch thus far. Books have ranged from okay to great. Superdad, Green Arrow and Aquaman being my personal favs.

Not all pandering is bad. Especially when it panders to me.
>>
>>83911924
It sucks less than DC did before. I'm reading the Superman books at least. Might read some other shit depending on what comes out.
>>
Anyone who is legitimately excited about anything DC is doing currently is part of the problem. An 80 page advertisement, a new logo and some mediocre comics do not indicate that anything has changed and the fact that they are still trying to maintain the New 52 universe and the utter idiocy of the Doctor Manhattan shit show that the clusterfuck will continue for a while.
>>
>>83911924
I think Geoff Johns blaming Alan Moore for the "darkness" in DC is absurd considering that he's been the one pushing that direction since 2006 and has had a lead creative voice since 2011.

Never mind the BS "Johns #1 he brought back Wally!" when it was him who sidelined Wally to begin with.
>>
>>83919738
He's not blaming Moore himself
>>
>>83919738

I think you're a fucking cunt if you think he's blaming Moore and not the idiots who tried to emulate him
>>
Pretty hyped that they have a new jumping on point for me to add them to my pull list, Flash, Detective Comics and Batman are all really good, but I wish I would have put Superman on my pull list instead of Batman, it's so fucking good.
>>
>>83919881
Johns is just as responsible for the empty darkness and violence trend you fucking cunt.
>>
>>83919622
Yea, but Young Animal.
>>
>>83919933
yeah it's an apology
>>
>>83919867
>>83919881
Fuck off. There's not a reason to even pretend to paint Watchmen as some foreboding force of doom like he is in rebirth if he's not still pissy at what Moore had to say.

He's pulling a Mark Millar. Coming back after he's done getting his rocks of by killing and raping characters and now wants to pretend he's always been a silver-age apologist and really hated all that nasty doom and gloom.

>>83919958
He can shove it up his ass. If he actually felt bad He'd let someone with a better track record handle this shit.
>>
>>83919738
>Geoff Johns blaming Alan Moore
But he's not.
>>
>>83919933

And at least he tried to fix it unlike that fucking faggot Moore who moans about it yet does nothing. It's exactly like him moaning about creator rights. He leaves it to better men
>>
What did johns say about Moore or doom and gloom and when did he say it.
>>
File: greenarrow3.jpg (445 KB, 1031x1566) Image search: [Google]
greenarrow3.jpg
445 KB, 1031x1566
>>83912052
>checklist
I prepared the PSD for the September solicits coming out in several others, and one other update included is pic related.
>>
>>83919975
geoff did nothing wrong, you need to relax
>>
>>83919975

>he's not still pissy at what Moore had to say.

Typical Moore. All talk
>>
File: Green_Lanterns_Placeholder_Upd.jpg (479 KB, 1280x1968) Image search: [Google]
Green_Lanterns_Placeholder_Upd.jpg
479 KB, 1280x1968
>>83920024
>others
hours*

Meanwhile, the placeholder images for the existing Rebirth titles except Batman on CMX are updated.
>>
>>83920007
No you see it's worse because Johns is a fucking hypocrite and is shifting the blame and then fucking off to go ruin the movies.
>>
Also I don't get the criticism on doom and gloom. You can't criticize green lanterns fridge girl and city being blown up for being dark while you glorify millers dark knight or moores swamp thing.

It's not about being too dark and gritty. It's about using it appropriately. Same thing happens with marvels punisher all the time.
>>
>>83920006
Except he is. Maybe stop sleeping in English so you can learn how to read between the lines.

>>83920037
>I've never read a Geoff Johns book in my life.
Got it.

>>83920048
kek
>>
Let me put it to you this way. It's made me kind of want to buy Aquaman, based solely on how good the other recent comics I've read are.

I really don't think I need to say more. But I will, because I fucking loved Rebirth Batman #1. Seriously, I think it's like one of the best first issues of something I've ever read, showing us all in those scant few pages what kind of a man he is, who the characters in his story are at this point in time, the ways he uses his resources to stop the threat (which I found hilarious, good on you Bats) and showing JUUUUST enough of the new characters to leave you hanging for more, asking the same questions running through Batman's head right now: "Who the fuck are THESE guys, and if it comes to it, how's he gonna take them down?"

I'm kinda rambling here but I love Rebirth. And I'm not usually a big fan of DC. But holy fuck does everything about it blow Marvel out of the water right now, Doctor Strange not withstanding because I love me some Strange.
>>
>>83920055

>Ruin the movies

Like they can get any worse.
>>
>>83920087
>Except he is
Are you a legit fucking retard or just baiting? He's not blaming Moore, he's not blaming Dark Knight and he's not blaming Watchmen. He's blaming people's response to those series popularity (including DC's own response)

Was a cape comic from one of the big two really too complicated for you to understand?
>>
>>83920156
He's scapegoating Dr. Manhattan as some malevolent being that took away all the love in comics. That speaks for its fucking self.

I'm not the one failing at symbolism 101 here Anon.
>>
>>83920156

It's OK for Moore to moan about this (And then write fucking crossed) but not OK for Johns to say the same thing and then actually try and write something hopeful
>>
>>83920205
>He's scapegoating Dr. Manhattan as some malevolent being that took away all the love in comics.

He's already gone down saying that Manhattan isn't a villain
>>
>>83920206
>all comic books are the same

Seriously bro?
>>
Moorefags are worse than poop
>>
>>83920232
Believe it when it's printed. Until then Johns can kiss my ass with his lying lips. Faggot has a track record of saying shit to appease whoever is asking.

Remember Dexstar vs Krypto?
Remember Rise of the Seven Seas?
>>
>>83920243

All Moore books are the same

>"I need some drama. I know, RAPE"
>>
>>83920297
Morrison please go.
>>
>>83920295
yeah but this time he's not writing any of it so it might actually happen
>>
>Implying that Rorschach isn't the real identity of the Joker
>>
>>83920321
So let me get this straight.

The guy who writes a book that's supposed to be the salvation of DC and is apologizing for what everyone else has written isn't going to write the story that apologies for DC all but instead is letting the people he's saying sorry for write it themselves.

Yeah, ok, this will work out great.
>>
>>83920205
>what the characters in the universe think happened
>what actually happened
He's already said that Manhattan isn't a villian. We're not going to have Supes punching him.
>>
>>83920399
See
>>83920295
>>
It's not a criticism of Moore or dark gritty. It's an apology for the hard reboot and promise that all of the legacy is going to bleed back into the dc line over time. Johns said in an interview the day of rebirth that the whole absense of love is a direct comment on an editorial mandate that the characters couldn't be married or have families because the new 52 reboot was about youth and marriage made them seem too old.
>>
>>83920488
The apology is essentially meaningless and it's spineless as hell. We are still in the New 52 universe run by the same people who have been making terrible decisions for the past decade.
>>
>>83920543

>We are still in the New 52 universe

Going straight back would have killed DC as would another reboot. Johns found a way to have the best of both worlds and get fans hyped
>>
>>83920579
They are still miring themselves in a clusterfuck of terrible and superfluous continuity and continuing the legacy of one of the biggest blunders in their history.
>>
>>83916721
Marvel is just too popular with fucking casuals. Even Deadpool sells better than Superman or The Flash. DC is just not popular.
>>
>>83920488
> It's an apology for the hard reboot
That is still in place
> and promise that all of the legacy is going to bleed back into the dc line over time
Under the pens of those that decided to remove those legacies in the first place.
>>
>>83920650

And pretty much nobody cares and most seem to be happy with what DC are doing right now. shared universes that have been around for decades are going to be a cluster fu ck no matter what you do
>>
>>83920686

>Don't ever try and fix anything!
>>
>>83920700
The same was said when nu52 launched.

>>83920718
When you're the ones that fucked it in the first time yeah that's probably a good idea.
>>
>>83920488
They're trying to have their cake and eating it, because they're still in New 52 continuity. Wait until everyone realized they've been tricked again and old continuity won't ever come back.
>>
>>83920700
If you're happy to swallow shit sandwiches because they have glossy coat of PR speak I don't begrudge you that, but to declare that DC has made changes for the better after a handful of mediocre at best comics come out is absurd.
>>
>>83920650
What do you expect? Another reboot? Publicly acknowledgement that they fucked up?

They're doing it safe by not rebooting but slowly trickling in the pre reboot history into the universe. Let them try this first. If not they can just have dr Manhattan do a new crisis and pull the old universe back.

Not like the old universe was perfect either.
>>
>>83920742

That's just your opinion man
>>
>>83920758
>They're doing it safe by not rebooting but slowly trickling in the pre reboot history into the universe

Are you really sure about this? Characters like Black Canary and Green Arrow are meeting again for the first time but they're not remembering their past time together before the reboot. How are going to make this work?

Not to mention characters that were retconned and appeared for the first time again like Cass, Steph or Jean Paul Valley. Knightfall was supposed to happen in this universe but for some reason Azrael wasn't around. If you retcon Knightfall back into continuity you create a nonsensical clusterfuck of Azrael being introduced two times into continuity.
>>
>>83920758
I'd expect that if the company actually gave a damn about shifting its focus and narrative it would terminate its contracts with the people who can only write one style and start filling positions with writers that have different approaches.

I'd expect a sincere apology from the company about the abandonment of legacy heroes to not be written by someone who terminated TWO entire legacies himself and wants us to just forget all about his own obsession with forgoing "love" in comics with "realism".
>>
>>83912052

Do we know if the new WW is going to retell her origin AGAIN?

I was a fan of Azarello's work and I'd hate to see that revisited.
>>
>>83920821
Johns wasn't responsible for the reboot. DiDio was. Hell, the strongest ally Johns had for his writing has continuity. The best work of the guy is entirely based upon that. They took away its greatest asset with the reboot and it shows in the decline of his writing.
>>
>>83920861
Johns was/is a creative director at DC during and before the reboot. He wrote the fucking event and lead ups that brought about the New 52. Bull shit he wasn't involved.
>>
>>83920729
So they shouldn't try to fix a bad editorial decision? By that reasoning comics would have been done before the bronze ages.

The fact that they're reducing editorial mandates on creativity and allowing loved past stories and characters to influence and emerge in future story telling.
>>
>>83912408

RHATO is going to be what has been for the past five years, it's catering to the audience that has loyally been reading it all along and enjoyed the throwback 90s buddy team up over the top action book.
>>
>>83920912
Not what I said. I said the people that made the mess by trying to fix shit shouldn't be the ones in charge of un fucking everything when all they have done to date is made everything worse.

>The fact that they're reducing editorial mandates

DC has been saying this ever since the shit storm over Batwoman's marriage. Did we forget about the colossal failure of DC You? You know, that push for creators driven titles that DC didn't promote at all past bare minimum?

Oh and looky here, The Bat-line has a crossover slated for September. Betcha those writers were just itching for the chance to start tieing into other books only four months into their projects.
>>
Can we all agree that Rebirth is easily one of the best relaunches of the modern era? Every comic in Rebirth is better than anything Marvel has published ever
>>
>>83920909
Johns is a continuityfag, he must have agreed in that moment since DiDio convinced him it was the best business decision, but he sure as fuck wasn't completely convinced of throwing away his precious continuity including everything he wrote and loved (like The Flash family or the JSA)
>>
I've been collecting comics since I was a kid. regularly.
marvel whored its brand out to movies, ruined the xmen and allowed the sjw's (who dont actually read the books they are protesting for) to run the direction of the characters.
New 52 was ok but even batman as jim gordan was hard to read. I nearly quit reading comics altogether -
rebirth came out and it was everything that i missed reading as a kid; the focus on characters not the epic mind blowing universe changing for ever storylines that over took the storylines for the last few years.
>>
>>83921011

>Hating JimBats

Fuck you buddy
>>
>>83921002
Again, he wrote the fucking event that brought about its creator. You don't sign off on that project if you're not on board to make the transition. He was right there along side Didio praising the new direction. He headlined Aquaman, Green Lantern, and Justice League during the first year of the new 52. The man was a true believer in the nu52. It's only now that he's starting to change his tune.
>>
>>83920988
Marvel hasn't relaunched. They just renumber at issue one after 9 issues under the justification that they do seasons like tv now. Each new number one is a new season. The last big thing they did was kill the ultimate universe.
>>
>>83921075
>The last big thing they did was kill the ultimate universe.

Which you can thank the nu52 for. Initial success caused Marvel to abandon the universe, pull their big names (minus Bendis) off their books and shift them elsewhere. We got Hickman's Avengers instead of Ultaimtes because of DC.
>>
>>83921053
You've never worked for a company before. Or at the least not in a managerial position. When your company adopts a position or sales pitch so do you. Being the rebel even if justified means going home demoted or fired.
>>
>>83921149
Holy fuck do you not fucking understand Johns position at DC? He's not some midlevel clerk that's just gotta pass along orders to the underlings and go with the flow. He was the fucking CREATIVE DIRECTOR at the company! He's the fuck wit that was in the meetings to start coming up with the fucking plan, he is the asshole that came up with the whole fucking idea with Dido in the first place, he's the part of the company that forced everyone to fucking go along with it.

Jesus Christ how does none of this sink into your fucking thick ass skull.
>>
>>83921075
>Each new number one is a new season.

That's what they tell their cucks fans.I'll believe it when I see "season 1" on a cover. There's a reason DC kicks Marvels teeth in when it comes to trades
>>
I don't really get the hype for Rebirth. So far, there hasn't been anything that amazing. Most of it isn't terrible, but I can't think of anything that just grabbed me. Green Arrow has been good, but even that isn't amazing.

I don't think the quality has anything to do with the event, per se. There was okay stuff before the relaunch. There will be okay stuff after. No matter the current version of the DCU or whatever reboots or relaunches they go through, there will be good and shitty titles. This is no exception. It's just that, within this past month, I haven't yet seen anything that good.

I'm giving it time, because sometimes it takes more than an issue for things to get warmed up. But come on, some of the new titles that debuted last June with the DCYou thing, I was hooked on from the first issue (Omega Men and Prez). What's been like that for this? Like, Batman COULD be good. It good just be okay. I dunno yet. Same with Superman or Wonder Woman or whatever else. What's the thing that people are seeing in this that gets them so excited?
>>
>>83921262
Lee and didio decide the direction of the brand. Johns decides the direction of the story.

Maybe he's deflecting and didio and Lee let him but he always says he's been busy writing comics when they dump these new directives on him. Then he becomes a good stooge and says how great it is.
>>
>>83921350
>I don't really get the hype for Rebirth
you basically won't see it anywhere else outside of /co/

this is DC territory
>>
>>83921125

Oh please, Ultimateverse had been limping for several years at the point where they finally pulled a plug on the universe. It had already gone from having some of their biggest titles to being a place where Bendis writes Spider-man and other books just being a testing ground for lesser known writers.
>>
>>83921262
>He's the fuck wit that was in the meetings to start coming up with the fucking plan, he is the asshole that came up with the whole fucking idea with Dido in the first place, he's the part of the company that forced everyone to fucking go along with it.

I dunno for sure, but there were rumours that WB is the one that told DC to pull some marketing thing quick or else face consequences, and that Flashpoint was just gonna be some Flash story, but it was forced into a reboot (kinda makes sense... I mean, the reboot was so abrupt and came out of fucking nowhere, it caught everyone off guard and things were all wonky for the first couple years of it).

There were also rumours that Johns was kinda the old-school guy, whereas Didio and Lee were the ones pushing for more change and shakeups.

If this is true, it seems Johns probably did have his differences with the DCnU.

I mean, is it any surprise that the campaign that is "amending" it carries the same tag Johns uses whenever he (for better or worse) tries to take a concept back to its roots? And it just happens to follow another campaign, more closely identified with Didio, that tried to do things "new" and "fresh," but failed in terms of sales?

It seems to me like somebody in the company said, "Didio, you do your thing, and if it fails, we let Johns do his thing. We'll see which one works better."

I dunno, maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I feel like there is some politics going on behind the scenes at DC.
>>
>>83921440
Right, but Marvel was about to put some support back behind it. Hickman's been very candid when talking about his Ultimates and stated plainly that the nu52 killed the line and forced Marvel to abandon it entirely.
>>
>>83921401
>you basically won't see it anywhere else outside of /co/

Lie
>>
>>83921401
>you basically won't see it anywhere else outside of /co/

I dunno. Rebirth has been dominating sales, and stores have been selling out. I had to go to three different shoppes just to get all my Rebirth titles this week. It's beating Civil War: Rehash. Pretty sure more than just /co/ is responsible for this.

My hunch is: Wally is back, characters people miss are back, and people like that so much, it takes precedence over whether the stories are any good. Even if these are characters everybody said they liked, but nobody was reading before they were deleted (how much was JSA selling?), take them away, and people suddenly appreciate them more.

I like these characters, too. I'm happy Wally is back. But I still like actually interesting comics more than anything. Bring back familiar stuff I miss, and it means nothing if you stick it in a boring comic like this week's Titans.
>>
>>83921442
Only reason I don't buy this is because Johns is now essentially out the door with this last book. He's not on any solicits going through September and was promoted to handle the movies. Seems odd to promote the guy whose idea was the back up in case things went wrong with Plan A.
>>
I still don't think dc will be able to keep a bi monthly speed for long. They already had a lot of problem with some artists to make monthly or semesterly title so bi mopnthly seems not possible on the long run. it is also making their title more expensive for readers.
>>
>>83921552
>it is also making their title more expensive for readers.

As opposed to Marvel where everything is at least a dollar more expensive?
>>
>>83921552
Most bi-monthly titles have two artist attached to them.
>>
>>83921586
>All twice-monthly (two times a month) titles have at least two artists attached to them.
ftfy
>>
>>83921611
thanks anon
>>
>>83921565
agreed. Marvel quietly rose the price to 4 dollars for all of their books while dc announced a price drop to 3 for all books including the main sellers. Regardless of double shipping most main stream consumers see a price drop compared to a price increase and think dc is doing good.
>>
>>83921350
The big thing, again, is that so many of the big-name books have improved dramatically. Whether they'll stay at this level of "7+ out of 10" as they are right now, who knows?

But Wonder Woman's, Flash's, and Green Arrow's improvements are enough to jump for joy. Green Lanterns getting out of the weird post-Convergence "there are no Green Lanterns" funk is more than welcome. Aquaman fully in Abnett's hands is fantastic news, after Bunn's less than stellar run. It's arguably true for Superman; arguably true for Action Comics, towards the end. Tec oddly seems like an improvement over the various directions new52 Tec went in.

Batman might be the only case that's not an objective improvement, but I think King's first solo issue shows he has a good handle on the character, probably better than Snyder did.

Overall, Rebirth is improvements, not reinventing the wheel. I've said this before, but I think of Rebirth as the Windows 7 to the New52's Windows Vista: roughly the same thing with a lot of the same limitations, but better in the areas that matter. And, most importantly, Rebirth is what the New52 should have been: not perfect, but pretty good.

All this, combined with what we know of DC editorial massively improving (because besides Berganza still leading the Super and GL books, the rest of the slate has the best editors DC has worked with in a while; plus, there's something of a "bullpen" across at least the Batbooks if not more places, so the writers are back with more power), means that things should be consistent for the foreseeable future. And maybe, as the newer writers get more comfortable on their characters' books, maybe we'll get the best era of DC ever.

I know, I know. It's a stretch. But the fact that it's even a possibility is fantastic.
>>
>>83921350
We're also not getting a lot of the more niche launches for awhile, mind you.

Stuff like Christopher Priest's Deathstroke, and Giffen/Kollins Blue Beetle are likely going to be the high-quality darlings we long for, as well as the Young Animal stuff.

Right now they're slowly rolling out their new slate of acceptable quality A-list titles, making sure they have a stable base to build from.
>>
>>83921401
>you basically won't see it anywhere else outside of /co
Yeah, the Rebirth titles totally aren't selling incredibly well literally everywhere. Must just be /co/
>>
Okay, so Rebirth floppies seem to be launching pretty well, yeah?

What do we think trade sales are going to be like? We're only like, 3, 4 months out from first trades on double shipping titles.

That's the info I'm dying to see. I expect Rebirth to be a MASSIVE success in trades.
>>
>>83921689

All Marvels Number 1's will be $5 from no on. So DC is doing good
>>
>>83921812

DC sells better in trades than anyone else. I think Schoolastic surpassed them recently but with DC pumping out trades faster they will be back on top
>>
>>83921812
Considering DC always does well with trades I'd expect Rebirth trades to do super fucking well.
>>
>>83911924
the fact /co/ hasn't turned on DC yet makes me happy.
>>
>>83920916

>throwback 90s buddy team up over the top action book.

It isn't that, it's just a shitty book.
>>
>>83912408
B and C listers have the better talent on them. >Orlando on Supergirl
>Hope Larson on Batgirl
>Priest on Deathstroke
>Giffen on Blue Beetle
>Seeley on Nightwing
It's much better than Tynion, Humphries and Jurgens on A-listers.
>>
>>83916246
DCYou had really great stuff though. Omega men and Prez were better than anything ANAD and Rebirth.
>>>/TheMarySue
>>
>>83911947
you mean /co/ has a bias towards good comics
>>
>>83920297
>dis nigga hasent read Top Ten, Swamp Thing (only the one rape in the entire fucking series, and it was by a demon from hell), Moore's Wildcats, Whatever Happened to The Man Of Tomorrow, or For The Man Who Has Everything
man get some taste you fucking shit faggot
>>
Too soon to say anything. But except for Green Arrow, most Rebirth titles looked like stretched out previews. The #1s were much better though. Nothing spectacular so far, but nothing bad so far(even from Humphries). But we haven't seen much, so I'll have to wait for some more releases to judge whether it's good or not.
Compared to his earlier work, King's Batman was a little disappointing. He didn't seem to get Batman's voice right and it didn't feel like a Batman story either.
>>
>>83922838
>Swamp Thing (only the one rape in the entire fucking series, and it was by a demon from hell)

No, you're forgetting the extremely graphically described rape of Swampy by that living planet, told in disturbing first-person from said rape-planet.
>>
File: 1466231748008.gif (2 MB, 500x391) Image search: [Google]
1466231748008.gif
2 MB, 500x391
>>83922815
Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.