[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The first R rated DC Animated movie >Kevin Conroy >
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7
File: batman-the-killing-joke.jpg (183 KB, 841x474) Image search: [Google]
batman-the-killing-joke.jpg
183 KB, 841x474
>The first R rated DC Animated movie
>Kevin Conroy
>Mark Hamill
>One night only theatrical release
http://www.fathomevents.com/event/batman-the-killing-joke

Is anyone else going? I've been following the development of this for years. I am so hyped I will get to see it on the big screen.
>>
>>83904368
I can't because none of those theaters are close to where I live. When was the last release of a non-Disney/Dreamworkd 2D cartoon in theaters? I think for WB it was Mask of the Phatasm?
>>
>>83904368
I've only been hearing bad things about this movie.
>>
Too bad it looks like shit.
>>
>>83904427
Yeah, the only other DC animated movie to get a theatrical release was Mask.

>>83904475
There is literally no way they could fuck this up.
>>
>>83904427
Couldn't have been that long, Simpsons at least. And South Park.
>>
>>83904475
Fuck what you heard homie
>>
>>83904504
Even if it's just a 1:1 adaption it will likely be inferior. Almost pointless to do something like this in a movie.
>>
>>83904368
Jesus. Just look at that still alone compared to any panel in the comic.

Some cheap ass motherfuckers.
>>
>>83904530
It's pointless unless your goal is money. I'm excited and want to see this, but with the rep of this story's soggy knees, Timm probably got the greelight because of the dosh it'll rake in.
>>
>>83904368
>not wearing the silly tourist costume

dropped
>>
>>83904694
Pretty sure that's from another scene? Wasn't there supposed to be additional material?
>>
>>83904651
True, it will indeed make a ton of money. I've just grown tired of this entire animated line. It's movies made for people who are too lazy to read comics. Or those who don't appreciate comics as an art form and think the stories need to be moving to be considered legitimate.
>>
>>83904368
>Hamill
>Conroy
This will be the greatest audiobook of all time.
>>
File: 1462873617795.jpg (34 KB, 426x341) Image search: [Google]
1462873617795.jpg
34 KB, 426x341
>>83904728
As someone whose just getting into comics this shit is scary as fuck

You need to have a near autistic understanding of time lines and writers and tie-ins and events and lord Jesus make it stop just to get started on a single character

It gets worse when there's team ups and more events and even more retcons and line restarts and fuck somebody shoot me already

The cartoons and movies definitely kept me interested and pushed me to finally pick up and try reading

I still have absolutely no idea what the fuck I'm reading 9/10 because I didn't read 3 different stories but atleast it's a start.
R-right?
>>
>>83904868
I don't really find it to be that difficult. Like it's no different from TV or something, start at the beginning of the run (or season, for TV). Sometimes you have to go back further if it's picking up from a cliffhanger, sometimes you don't.
>>
>>83904368
>I've been following the development of this for years.
It was announced last year.
>>
>>83904868
>You need to have a near autistic understanding of time lines and writers and tie-ins and events and lord Jesus make it stop just to get started on a single character

No you don't. I just read comics about characters I like, and I sure as fuck don't have the understandings you describe.
>>
>>83904368
How long is this movie supposed to be?
>>
>>83904868
You just get the interns to look that stuff up for you
>>
>>83904868
Are you retarded?
>>
>>83904948
Probably 70minutes including credits like the others. It's not a long story anyway.
>>
Nah Killing Joke is junk
>>
File: 1437252700241.png (225 KB, 456x472) Image search: [Google]
1437252700241.png
225 KB, 456x472
>>83904368
>That animation
Holy FUCK that's terrible.

Did they blow their entire budget on hiring Conroy and Hamill or something?
>>
Where was the fucking budget? I've seen plenty of DC movies that look great, so why not for this adaptation of something that normal people have actually HEARD of?
>>
>>83904868
I just looked up stories I heard were good and if they bad a continuation read them. The occasional crossover might interest me in someone I didnt think of reading before as long as it isnt one of those "the other guy is being a super jerk to the main character" stories. There will always be moments when you read something and dont know what event/battle/interaction theyre talking about, even of you have some encyclopediac knowledge. Unless everything you read is directly linked to something else then you dont need any of that level of attention to detail that you described
>>
>>83904868

The autismos have already compiled all the info you need to know on wikis and websites.
Just pick up a story and if you need to know something from a tie-in then just look it up on google if it doesn't make you want to read all of it.
>>
>>83905066
It probably went to paying Hamil. Even though he wanted to do The Killing Joke, his Star Wars prestige has come back to him. It'll probably be like Timm's Justice League. It'll have wonky frames here and there, but look good where it counts and be smooth.
>>
>>83904868
No you don't, idiot. Instead of "getting into comics" why don't you just read some fucking comics?
>>
>>83904368
Why isn't he wearing the Hawaiian shirt and hat?
>>
>>83905616
Probably isn't the same scene. Although there isn't any other one where Joker has a gun. Probably part of the added stuff.
>>
>>83905450
>why don't you just read some fucking comics?
We're on /co/, why the fuck would he?
>>
Jeez, the animation is shit. This is going to be another lame DC animation just like Song of Batman and other stuff
>>
>>83904868
You don't, my first introduction to the Cassie, Bart, Kon, and Tim was in the YJ/Titans graduation day comic which was a bad place to start but I then went along with it bot knowing who most of these characters were and ended up teading John's TT comic and then had no problem following what was going on and ended up knowing the characters.

Afterwards I heard the actual YJ comic was better and just ended up looking for the actual YJ comics and ended up loving them and having a greater appreciation for them.

Honestly reading comics is not hard even with the continuity thing, I dunno why people cry about it and I am not that knowledgeable about comics myself.
>>
>>83906150
I think they overthink it. They come in believing they have to read everything and get overwhelmed. It's not the comics themselves that are the problem but people projecting things onto them.

There are a few times where it can be difficult, but it's not the norm.
>>
>>83904368
I intend to go but it really depends on if anybody I know will go with me.
>>
>>83904427
Iron Giant.
>>
>>83906224
>>83906150
What's really grating is they claim to know the characters from movies & TV, but if they really watched those shows non-casually, they wouldn't feel so totally overwhelmed. At least, this is true of Batman, which is what the thread's about so...

...I mean, I read The Dark Knight Returns as a tween and understood it just fine cuz it barely used anything I hadn't seen in BTAS.
>Bruce and Harvey have a complicated relationship that shows Harvey as tormented, and Bruce hoping against hope that Harvey hasn't reverted to type despite knowing better.
>Joker's obsessive fixation on Batman.
>Catwoman is named Selina, oh she must've retired and got fat, huh.
>Superman and him have a tense relationship because of the differences that were obvious even in DCAU's "World's Finest" team-up.
>Oh, who's Jason? Some old Robin who died apparently, I know that that's not Dick, but it doesn't matter here meet the new Robin.
>>
>>83904368
Got my tickets the other day. Fortunately, there's a showing at my local AMC, which is really convenient.
>>
File: 1283416920775.jpg (48 KB, 500x381) Image search: [Google]
1283416920775.jpg
48 KB, 500x381
>>83904368
I'm interested, I'll definitely go see it.

>mfw it's playing in 5 different theaters near me
decisions, decisons
>>
>>83904868
Nope, you only need a "near" autistic understanding if you're actually autistic and cannot handle not having read the stories in chronological order
>>
File: ayy lmao.gif (1 MB, 268x304) Image search: [Google]
ayy lmao.gif
1 MB, 268x304
>>83908154
>mfw it's playing at the theatre I always see my movies at
>>
File: 1465110286433.jpg (156 KB, 601x907) Image search: [Google]
1465110286433.jpg
156 KB, 601x907
>my town actually has it playing

Well shit, maybe I will go.
>>
>>83904586
This. Why bother when it just looks like the new lame DC animated style. They could have done something really different and similar to Bollands work.
>>
>>83904368
Friend of mine's a huge Jokerfag. We go to college abroad and will be back around that time for resits and shit, so we'll be closer to one of the cinemas.

I'm content just to torrent the thing but I may end up going to see it.
>>
It really is sad that the animation is so terrible. Hell they could've just recycled old animation from Justice Leauge Unlimited and I would've been happy.

But at least it's Conroy and Hamill, and not Troy "I'm in every fucking video game now" Baker, or the guy they used for Arkham Origins' Bats voice
>>
>>83907803
I've been seeing quite a a few people ordering their tickets early. I'm gonna buy mine at the door, but I gotta admit, I won't exactly be disappointed if they turn up sold out.
>>
>>83904368
>not using Higgins' color scheme
but y
>>
>its playing in my town
>its playing in the worst theater

chairs are uncofy as fuck and if you don't get teh VERY best seats,. like two rows you're cranking your neck

i'll go see it though, I need to reread killing joke again now though
>>
Already bought two.
>>
>>83904368
It's only 71 minutes long and the animation is shit
>>
File: Chinman.png (657 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
Chinman.png
657 KB, 1136x640
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi5qoxxQpMY

If only
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.