[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just try and name an animated character more complex and deep
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 13
File: kp.jpg (35 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
kp.jpg
35 KB, 1280x720
Just try and name an animated character more complex and deep than Karl.

I dare you.
>>
File: Melanie.png (47 KB, 354x278) Image search: [Google]
Melanie.png
47 KB, 354x278
>>83900984
You win.
>>
>>83900984
he's not technically a character though
>>
File: photo_2016-06-10_21-10-36.jpg (118 KB, 721x1280) Image search: [Google]
photo_2016-06-10_21-10-36.jpg
118 KB, 721x1280
>>83901120

There are those that would argue he is
>>
>>83901166
He really isnt

He just becomes more self aware towards the end and spends more time thinking before speaking instead of letting his pure thoughts spew out everywhere
>>
>>83900984
"If you live in a glass house, you have to answer the door"
>>
>>83903076
"If you live in a glass house, don't be chucking stuff about"
>>
>It's a Ricky tips his fedora episode
>>
>>83903440
>It's a Ricky Gervais exists episode
>>
File: karl's courageous land dive.webm (3 MB, 624x352) Image search: [Google]
karl's courageous land dive.webm
3 MB, 624x352
Karl is a national treasure.

>>83903440
My favourite is when Ricky starts spewing off at Karl about something that's actually true. Granted Karl's really bad at explaining himself but still, it just makes Ricky look like the retard when he's scoffing at actual fact.
>>
>>83903440
>>83903677
>>83905067
Am I the only person who finds Ricky funny? At the very least, you have to admit his laugh is contagious.
>>
>anti-intellectual spews truisms
The only thing that made Karl bearable is that he really was a thinker, but nothing ever came of it and that 'nothing' was played off of Ricky and Steve until it became funny.
That was what was amusing.
>>
>>83905067
I liked idoit abroad when it was just Karl but when Wicket joined that shit sucked
>>
>>83905067
it's like, at what point do you just.. realize that he could be right and you don't know everything?
these fanatical atheists are so fucking hilarious and hypocritical. they're drunk on their own superiority. makes sense, they think they've figured something out no other humans in millennia ever did
>>
>>83905247
Karl had enough of it by season 1, it probably took some serious cash and convincing to make him do a season 2. Nobody really wants to do a TV show where the whole world is laughing and scoffing at you while you're forced to do awful things like eat rotten fish. By season 3 probably the only way they could get him to come back is by making it shorter and telling him that he'd share the screen with someone else. But it really does sort of ruin the whole concept and it makes it like a sideshow mockery; "Behold, it's Karl again, but this time he's accompanied by a MIDGET!"
>>
Nice to see /co/ is still a wholesome christian imageboard with no room for dissenting opinions.
>>
>>83905126
Ricky says some funny shit on the show.
>>
>>83900984
>complex and deep
>anything involving Ricky Gervais
Pick one.
>>
>>83906611
>invented an entire genre of comedy
>legendary wit
>universally recognized

Fuck off ya dopey cunt
>>
File: free shrugs.jpg (48 KB, 449x642) Image search: [Google]
free shrugs.jpg
48 KB, 449x642
>>83905555
>these fanatical atheists are so fucking hilarious and hypocritical.

Really? Sure, a small minority of atheists "euphoric", but most aren't. The truth is, it doesn't take a genius to figure out every religion ever is made up. But, no matter how politely to try to explain that to religious people, they get salty and call you a fedora nerd anyway, because they don't want to hear the truth. Then they project on to atheists how up their own ass they are. Maybe, it's just better not to talk about religion IRL, and just vent on the internet.
>>
>>83906924
Atheism is a religion just like any other. The only truth is Agnosticism.
>>
File: 1462912248377.jpg (140 KB, 520x678) Image search: [Google]
1462912248377.jpg
140 KB, 520x678
>>83906987
>Atheism is a religion
>Implying atheism and agnosticism are mutually exclusive
Nice bait mate.
>>
File: bait doublemint fun.jpg (108 KB, 1146x1148) Image search: [Google]
bait doublemint fun.jpg
108 KB, 1146x1148
>>83907059
>>
>>83906924
Religion: "The Faith is infallible !"
Atheist: "*I* am infallible!"
>>83906987
>The only truth is Agnosticism
This anon gets it. Whether or not any religion is right, claiming to definitively know that a deity isn't real is just arrogant. For example, tons of mathematical and scientific discoveries were thought as nonsense before conclusive proof was found, but they were still real (and would continue to be so regardless of whether human discovery advanced or not); until (or if ever) we have proof of a higher being, it's prudent to at least recognize it as a possibility, if nothing else.
>>
>>83907059
>Implying atheism and agnosticism are mutually exclusive
By their respective definitions, they are. Did you ever finish high school?
>>
>>83906987
Agnosticism and atheism are the same. Both refuse to believe in any god because they see no evidence to support religious claims. The difference is how unlikely they think the proof will ever come up.
>>
File: 1466250402889.png (274 KB, 485x500) Image search: [Google]
1466250402889.png
274 KB, 485x500
>>83907416
>butthurt religionfag thinks you need a god to have a religion
>>
>>83907517
>I sure disagree with core foundation of other people's values, but at least I don't say it in their faces
>>
>>83905067
>My favourite is when Ricky starts spewing off at Karl about something that's actually true. Granted Karl's really bad at explaining himself but still, it just makes Ricky look like the retard when he's scoffing at actual fact.

Examples of times this happened?
>>
>>83905555
>it's like, at what point do you just.. realize that he could be right and you don't know everything?
It's kinda funny to see this kind of statement in defence of religion. Like, you know, movement based on belief that they know everything because their got told me.

I don't know everything, but if lower my standards low enough to accept religion as possibility worth considering, I would need to worship all the gods, as well as tooth fairy and some crazy guy in Nashville who claims he's Messiah every time he gets his hands on tequila.
>>
File: 2mgr32c.png (173 KB, 506x356) Image search: [Google]
2mgr32c.png
173 KB, 506x356
>>83907347
>By their respective definitions, they are.
Seriously?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_atheism

>>83907303
Religion: "I believe, despite having no evidence."
Atheist:: "I don't believe because I have no evidence."
>>
>>83907303
>This anon gets it. Whether or not any religion is right, claiming to definitively know that a deity isn't real is just arrogant. For example, tons of mathematical and scientific discoveries were thought as nonsense before conclusive proof was found, but they were still real (and would continue to be so regardless of whether human discovery advanced or not); until (or if ever) we have proof of a higher being, it's prudent to at least recognize it as a possibility, if nothing else.
But that's atheism.
>>
>>83907676

Off the top of my head, the thing with the sandwich/charity to africa or something, karl wanted to fix the underlying causes like moving them if there's no fucking water/helping them out with agriculture if that's the problem, all the while ricky calls him a tard.
>>
>>83908354
Karl's flippancy in 'solving world hunger' was in fact very retarded. His ideas were literally something a 6 year old would ask their parents after watching PBS.
>>
>>83908354
>the while ricky calls him a tard.

That's the point of the show.
Making fun of Karl - with Ricky and Steve.
Of course it works better when he says something actual stupid.
>>
>>83906924
>it doesn't take a genius to figure out every religion ever is made up
You clearly don't understand religion in the context of hermeticism or transcendentalism. Atheists can never think outside of immediate objectivity and it really shows.
>>
File: STR vs DEX.webm (634 KB, 624x352) Image search: [Google]
STR vs DEX.webm
634 KB, 624x352
Why can't we just talk about a bald mank orange headed moron without all this bullshit?
>>
>>83909470

This. Best RG episode?
>>
>>83907676
There´s the time Ricky asked Karl to describe how the fufutre would be, Karl pretty much described VR glasses and Ricky just brushed them off as nonsense.
>>
>>83908552
He was shit at explaining what he meant. But I'm pretty sure he was trying to say that these poorer countries need one on one assistance with producing their own food, helping build farms and buildings, instead of sending a package of food which is a short term solution.
>>
>>83910057
His solution is moving. And that's what many refugees do today. It works but isn't a good solution.
>>
>>83909074
Ok, I'm an atheist, I'll bite. I have an open mind.

What make's you think your religious beliefs are true? Why should I be convinced that your religion is true?
>>
>>83907676

this one is my favorite because Karl is actually touching on a really profound issue with consciousness and memory. Ricky makes fun of him because he has a hard time articulating himself, but Ricky's the one who sounds dense as fuck because he's laughing at what he can't understand.
>>
>>83912510
forgot link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zduw1GXrGI
>>
Anyone else think that Carl is right/ has interesting thoughts?
I think he's just bad at expressing what he means to say so Ricky takes the piss out of him.
Steven gangs up on him because he's a cunt.

> that one episode where Karl snaps and points out how pathetic Steven is for being a cynical loner
>>
>>83912789
holy fuck, what episode?
>>
>>83905126
>his laugh sounds like a ridiculous old woman/chicken hybrid and by extension is funny

FTFY, skip to 8 minutes in: http://youtu.be/MZKrnZ2B3Lw
>>
>>83912871
Don't know if off the top of my head.
If i remember the context correctly, Steve and Ricky were giving him shit about something involving Susanna.
He went after Steven because he can't touch Ricky
>>
>>83912510
>>83912628
Wow, that's pretty awful. Clearly Karl's thinking more of a clone scenario, where the other person has all the same thoughts and memories, and is trying to say "if that guy has all the same memories of me, how can I be sure I'm the real me?" This videos explores that pretty nicely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdxucpPq6Lc

And it's Ricky/Steve's fault too, because they say the other person "has the same thoughts", but I thought the idea behind a doppelganger was that they just look exactly the same as you.
>>
>>83913665
This?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wWyH87MbxI
>>
File: sonic.gif (1017 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
sonic.gif
1017 KB, 500x281
>All these people who think Ricky is a genuine presumptuous asshole

Have you guys ever watched anything else with Ricky? He puts on a show and eggs Karl on because otherwise they wouldn't get anything out of him. Some of the best stuff came from Karl being put on the spot and getting frustrated, like the negotiator or the perfect animal.
>>
>>83916350
There must be better ways than that, right?
>>
>>83916407
I've seen some of Ricky's original stuff.
He's not a very good.

Karl really is his goldmine to a point he had to put Karl in one of his garbage shows to make it more bearable.
>>
>>83908641

I wouldn't say that that's even what the show is about, because you can't really make fun of someone who doesn't even really notice or even care if you're making fun of him.

Karl is legit an interesting dude, and I think Ricky recognized that in his own "smarter than thou" way.
>>
>>83911534
The way you're phrasing it only further shows that you're trying to turn all of religion into a statement on the existence of a particular supernatural deity. This is only at the forefront of religious discussion today because of cultural clashes that have escalated since the Enlightenment and the increasing schisms in Christian theology. Western religion has since become too obsessed with "is this God and what I practice about Him true?" and less with man finding transcendental truths and coming to terms with his place in reality.

If you believe that humanity was created to praise reverence and serve God, then all humans should have that innate desire to assess himself within a larger framework, in ways which other creatures seem unable. One could say that ancient pagan religions were a means to "explain" the world without proper science, but if that was only the case, then there would be no need for the philosophical and ritualistic patterns of religions. There has been plenty of secular psuedoscience over the years, but the need to orient oneself within a framework, even if that framework is "the scientific universe," is a uniquely human and transcendental matter.
>>
>>83916195
>Ricky and Steve make fun off Karl everyday
>Doesn't give two shits, even goes as far as to tell his fans to stop being so thin skinned and stop being sad for him over nothing
>Steve makes fun of Susanna
>In one sentence manages to give a better verbal beat down then any of them could ever make
It's moments like that make you realize despite being incredibly annoying in real life most of the time he is still a pretty cool guy push comes to shove.
>>
>>83901166

Nah Karl was never a character. What made people think this was the podcast which covered a bunch of stuff that had happened in the XFM radio program and they all try and play it like they were original topics they hadn't covered anymore.
>>
>>83905735

Season 3 really made me hate Warrick. Little cunt couldn't handle anything and wanted to laugh at Karl
>>
>>83912510

The best one was how Karl was trying to say that having a chip in your brain that could access the internet would make people lazy and wouldn't really learn anything. He was dead right on that but he couldn't put it into words
>>
>>83917544
Yep. You don't need to learn anything yourself when you can just google something and parrot the answer. We wouldn't bother consciously retaining anything.
>>
>>83912789
Karl is fucking ruthless in XFM series 2. He's always making backhanded insults towards Steve.
>>
File: 1416440535270.png (147 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1416440535270.png
147 KB, 500x375
>>83916866
get a load of this faggot
>>
>>83917875
Looks like Joseph Joestar.
>>
>>83910057
>>>83908552
>He was shit at explaining what he meant. But I'm pretty sure he was trying to say that these poorer countries need one on one assistance with producing their own food, helping build farms and buildings, instead of sending a package of food which is a short term solution.

Horseshit.

World hunger is caused by political problems.

World hunger is easily solved with more nitrogen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haber_process

" Nearly 80% of the nitrogen found in human tissues originated from the Haber-Bosch process."

Think about that for a second, children. Eighty percent of EVERYBODY is alive because the Haber process stops them from starving to death.

We already "solved" world hunger. All that's left is fixing the political issues.
>>
>>83920875
Well, political problems are in Africa, not in other places.

You know what they say. Give a man a fish and he will breed way beyond sustenance, knowing no other way to survive but to demand more fish from you until you run out of fish.
>>
>>83917911
that what the refrance
>>
>>83905555
nice quads

I personally like to read about religion and mythology occasionally in my spare time. While I don't think I could confidently say I believe in a higher power, some things I read about do resonate with me, and it's interesting how human and cultural experiences help to manifest religions and key symbols.

I remember an anecdote, I think it was from Joseph Campbell, who said that a priest once said to him that he wished he could somehow prove God's existence to give him a solid reason to have faith (Campbell at the time did not belong to any religion). But he replied with something like, if it was that easy, then there would be little value in faith.
>>
>>83920942
>Well, political problems are in Africa, not in other places.

Uh...yeah.

Right, anon. Sure. No political problems in the Middle East. Or SouthEast Asia. Pakistan and India aren't rogue nuclear-armed states at all!

Nothing going on in the Caucasus, either, and for SURE there's no issues in South and Central America. Venezuela is a paradise!

But, speaking of nitrogen, it's fascinating that nitrogen is both the key to human prosperity by feeding untold billions every day, but it's also the key ingredient for the production of explosives!

Heck, have you ever heard of the DFR, and the proposals to convert nitrogen to liquid fuels to replace fossil fuels?

http://festkoerper-kernphysik.de/dfr.pdf

http://festkoerper-kernphysik.de/FR13_T1-CN-199-481.pdf

Running cars on hydrazine, which is made of nothing but nitrogen and hydrogen. Literally making fuel out of air and water. Genius!
>>
>>83916195
Holy shit, I haven't listened to this one. It's like a switch flipped
>>
>>83920875
Is the Haber-Boasch process really feasible for third world shitholes which have experienced an upheaval in or never developed modern infrastructure? It requires massive amounts of energy, the type of industrial development people only dreamed of 100 years ago.
>>
>>83917499
Yeah, I watched the first episode of season 3 and then just dropped the show there. It was a lot better when it was mostly just Karl and the audience, not when some other guy's there to bicker.
>>
>>83921158
>Is the Haber-Boasch process really feasible for third world shitholes which have experienced an upheaval in or never developed modern infrastructure?

Sure it is, it's not complex, it's just scary as shit. It was invented back in the days when men had some fucking balls.
>It requires massive amounts of energy, the type of industrial development people only dreamed of 100 years ago.

Uh....

The Haber-Bosch process was running at full industrial scale in 1914, 102 years ago. So...yeah. It's just fine.

I'd imagine with todays tech we can make something that works well.
>>
>>83916866
None of that really answered my questions. It's just a bunch of pointless rhetoric.
>>
>>83921093
The middle east is part of africa dumbass.
>>
>>83900984
He's as deep as a kiddy pool innit he?
>>
>>83921525

Only Egypt. The majority of it is Asia
>>
>>83905126
Straight man roles are often unappreciated.
>>
>>83909959
They are still nonsense, even if they are real.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.