[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First DC Rebirth Crossover, Night of The Monster Men Announced
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31
File: nightofmonsterman.jpg (132 KB, 843x1280) Image search: [Google]
nightofmonsterman.jpg
132 KB, 843x1280
Steve Orlando leading the new Batman family crossover, Night of The Monster Man, it'll cross over Batman,Nightwing & Detective Comics

more: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/batman-and-allies-to-fight-giant-kaiju-creatures/1100-6440994/
>>
>What titles will this crossover into? Will there be a self contained intro book and ending?

>Orlando: The cool thing about Monster Men is we'll be pushing all the stories forward. All the threads you're reading in Nightwing, Detective Comics, and Batman—everything Batman is dealing with with Gotham and Gotham Girl (two new heroes) will play directly into Monster Men. You'll see the sort of rift or tension between the different ways Batman and Nightwing do things is central to Monster Men and that comes out in Nightwing. Also, the idea that Batman has trusted Batwoman, and he knows there's something she can do better than he can in the pages of Detective. There's the idea that when something is too big for Bruce Wayne, the Bat-Family is now more than just one guy. That's the idea that kicks off in Detective. To move forward, we need to train the next generation and find a way to do what we do, better.
>>
Fuck crossover. It ruining comic
>>
>>83846215
The hell is a kaiju?
>>
>>83846215
>more Batfam wank
Yawn. Let me know when they actually start paying attention to other characters that aren't Batman.
>>
>>83846238
Japanese version of Godzilla.
>>
>>83846228
>There's the idea that when something is too big for Bruce Wayne, the Bat-Family is now more than just one guy
I thought the idea that when something was too big for Batman was for Gotham and Gotham Girl.
>>
>>83846228

>In the case of the Monster Men, I mean literally bigger. How does Batman, a man who has a plan for everything, deal with catastrophic Toho-style attacks on Gotham City? Along with that, I was especially excited to work with the Monster Men from a nerd standpoint because they showed up in the original Batman #1. They were in one of the three stories, and I think they're a historic group of characters. They haven't really appeared too much since then. There was a great mini-series by Matt Wagner, but in general, they haven't shown up that much for characters that have been with Batman for over six decades.

>>How would you describe the sorts of monsters we'll be seeing?

>Riley Rossmo: They're kind of kaiju, I guess. They're like Pacific Rim-scale monsters, for the most part.

>>How big are you talking?

>Rossmo: That's a good question. There's a bunch of different ones. The smallest one is sort of like the queen from Aliens. There's one kind of like the Slurm Queen in Futurama. The biggest ones are like Godzilla-scale.

>>How many different types are you designing?

>Rossmo: There's five, but then some of the cast members get infected. There'll be some monster-versions of some of the Bat-Family.
>>
File: 3082408-1+bm_cv7+copy.jpg (214 KB, 843x1280) Image search: [Google]
3082408-1+bm_cv7+copy.jpg
214 KB, 843x1280
Batman 7 Cover
>>
>>
>>83846274

>>What titles will this crossover into? Will there be a self contained intro book and ending?

>Orlando: The cool thing about Monster Men is we'll be pushing all the stories forward. All the threads you're reading in Nightwing, Detective Comics, and Batman—everything Batman is dealing with with Gotham and Gotham Girl (two new heroes) will play directly into Monster Men. You'll see the sort of rift or tension between the different ways Batman and Nightwing do things is central to Monster Men and that comes out in Nightwing. Also, the idea that Batman has trusted Batwoman, and he knows there's something she can do better than he can in the pages of Detective. There's the idea that when something is too big for Bruce Wayne, the Bat-Family is now more than just one guy. That's the idea that kicks off in Detective. To move forward, we need to train the next generation and find a way to do what we do, better.

>One of the things I've always found interesting about Batman is the intense bravery and futility in the character. That's not to say that Batman is futile. He's only human. Every time Batman saves someone from a mugging in Gotham City, odds are someone is getting mugged somewhere else. That's the sad and truth about Batman, but it also makes him incredibly inspiring. He never stops. That's also the reason Batman is looking for new ways to be in more places at once. When you have a threat of this scale, when you have the Monster Men coming to Gotham City, there's no better time to put that on display to see if it works or doesn't work.

>>Will there be any characters from outside the related titles?
>>
>>83846215
Glad to see Rossmo getting mroe work at DC, glad to hear they're using Strange as a big villain again. But not very happy about corssovers(though they can be done well(Phantom Stranger tie in to Trinity War comes to mind, that was a great issue) and I'm not happy to see this
>You'll see the sort of rift or tension between the different ways Batman and Nightwing do things
>>
File: 3082397-batman_007_inks_007.jpg (196 KB, 843x1280) Image search: [Google]
3082397-batman_007_inks_007.jpg
196 KB, 843x1280
>>
File: 3082397-batman_007_inks_007[1].jpg (315 KB, 688x1044) Image search: [Google]
3082397-batman_007_inks_007[1].jpg
315 KB, 688x1044
>>83846286

>Orlando: Well, I can say there will be a lot of Bat-Family characters in it. Working with Riley, the minute I sort of pitched him what these monsters were going to look like…when you work with Riley, it's not necessarily telling him what they'll look like, it's more like an email exchange of grotesquery we found in the animal kingdom. We talked about how we would put these into the designs. I knew immediately we were going to have to get him to draw as much cool stuff as possible.

>We want to make [the book] as welcoming as we can for everyone following those titles. Everyone will see this is basically like a summer crossover in six issues. We'll have the characters from all the books, not just the lead characters. You'll see the GCPD involved, and you'll also have five new monsters that are truly brand new. They have fresh and exciting new designs that really are unlike anything you've seen Batman go up against before. I will say it is Night of the Monster Men. This story, much like many disaster stories, takes place over one night. We will be focusing on the cast of those main books and anyone else that could conceivably get there in time to help before the city is rubble.

>>Is this the first time Gotham has had to deal with something on this scale?

>Rossmo: Yeah, I believe so. I think its the first time Batman has fought Godzilla—something like Godzilla.

>>For the people in Gotham, it's going to be time to go on vacation or move away?

>Rossmo: Yeah, it takes place when a hurricane comes through Gotham. It coincides with the rise of the Monster Men. That's the night they reveal themselves.

>>You mentioned the Monster Men haven't really been used a lot. If we're going to have these giant monsters, how would you say this compares to past Batman crossovers?
>>
File: 3082409-2+ntw_cv5+copy.jpg (177 KB, 843x1280) Image search: [Google]
3082409-2+ntw_cv5+copy.jpg
177 KB, 843x1280
>>83846279
Nightwing 5 Cover
>>
>>83846264
>implying Gotham and Gotham Girl will survive the first arc
>>
>>83846299

>Orlando: There's been a lot of Batman crossovers. To me, Night of the Monster Men, especially when it's coming out, it's big and grandiose, but it's fun. Going back to 1989, it's like, "Where does he get those wonderful toys?" It's 2016. We have to give Batman even more wonderful toys. I think we haven't seen a story like this in a while in Gotham City or since Rebirth. We also haven't mashed up the genre of Batman with these Godzilla or Toho styles of element. It's like when you had Ultraman or Mecha Godzilla. There's a sense of fun to it. It's giant monsters, and it's lovably insane. At the same time, you have a guy with a plan for everything. I'm really excited about it because I think crossovers aren't foreign to the Batman Universe, but these massive and out of this world things are. It'll be cool to see Batman here. What makes Batman Batman remains the same. It almost doesn't matter if he's fighting a mugger or going up against a 30-story behemoth. There's definitely real danger in the book. There's real danger in the DC Universe, but it's all about meeting it with a sense of no-holds-barred.

>>What kind of gadgets or tools are you designing for Batman and his allies to fight them off?

>Rossmo: There's a rocket pack that's pretty awesome. There's a sort of jet ski rocket cycle. I guess there's a lot of rocket stuff in it. There's like air-motorcylces, almost like speeder bikes (in Return of the Jedi). I don't want to give too much away because it's cool, but Batman has an exo-suit like Hulkbuster Iron Man so he can go hand-to-hand with one of the giant monsters.

>>How's it feel taking on this first Batman Rebirth crossover?
>>
File: 3082410-3+dtc_cv941+copy.jpg (243 KB, 843x1280) Image search: [Google]
3082410-3+dtc_cv941+copy.jpg
243 KB, 843x1280
>>83846301
Detective 941 cover

best part about bi-monthly book crossovers? They only last a month
>>
>>83846316

>Orlando: I'm nervous. There's a lot on my mind, but honestly, it's an honor to be doing it. I'm a huge comics history nerd. The offer to do this was something I just couldn't ignore. We're not just relaunching Batman with a new number one. We're also getting to go back to the Monster Men. Like I said, it's something that deserves to be a pillar with how early they showed up in Batman's history. That couldn't get any better for me.

>>Riley, what was your first thought in getting the chance to draw Batman fighting kaiju?

>Rossmo: I'm a fan of the original Monster Men, and I liked the Matt Wagner story so the fanboy part of me was squealing. Squealing with delight. Then I started thinking about the mechanics of how you draw things and show scale with tiny little people fighting giant monsters. Then things like the Batman rocket pack becomes a really cool device so you can show the silhouette of this batarang-thing fighting a giant monster. I thought about the different ways to incorporate the scale. That's the technically interesting part—keeping the immediacy of battles, but you'd only be able to show little bits and pieces of monsters if you want close up of the figures.

>>Anything else you want to add?

>Orlando: I pitched Riley some of the craziest things I ever put into a book. I can't underscore how amazing he's been with all the designs he's doing for this. Whether it's the Monster Men themselves, Batman's technology, sometimes I'd be like, "Oh man, this idea is too weird." He'd make it cooler than you could ever imagine. I just can't wait for people to see what he's doing along with what Roge and Andy are doing on the book. There is Batman action and Batman armors you never thought of before. I can't wait for everybody to see it on the page. It's going to be really, really fun.

>Rossmo: There's this Clayface/Batman team-up section that's going to be fantastic.
>>
>>83846286
>>83846316
Those designs look cool as fuck.
>>
That actually sounds pretty neat
>>
If King's writing Batman, Seeley's writing Nightwing, and Tynion's writing Detective, why is the Supergirl writer involved?
>>
>>>Night of the Monster Men takes place in September and October. The story begins in Batman #7 (9/21), followed by Nightwing #5 (9/21), and Detective Comics #941 (9/28).

Orlando solo interview: http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/exclusive-steve-orlando-talks-batman-and-night-of-/1100-155691/
>>
>>83846347
then why is this pic >>83846279 labelled "batman 7 cover"
>>
>>83846365

Rossmo solo interview: http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/exclusive-riley-rossmo-talks-batman-and-night-of-t/1100-155692/
>>
>>83846315
But the same paragraph specifically mentions their involvement. Holy shit! You didn't even read the post did you? Fuck you just saw the single line of greentext I quoted and began spewing your opinion with no knowledge of anything else at all. Holy fuck what an idiot.
>>
>>83846357

Because they are all friends
>>
>>83846279
>>83846301
>>83846321
if nothing else, Yanick Paqutte's work is always a welcomed pleasure
>>
>>83846372
Sorry for mislabeling the OP pic.
>>
>>83846246
>Japanese version of Godzilla.
wut?
>>
>Orlando
Isn't he too busy with Supergirl and JSA?

WAITAMINUTE
>Kaijus
>in Gotham
>concept taken from E2
>Orlando rumored to be on JSA and has no ties with the Bat-books currently

This is the Allan Scott reintroduction arc.
>>
File: 1461603138456.png (2 MB, 1988x1555) Image search: [Google]
1461603138456.png
2 MB, 1988x1555
Will this chap be in the book too?
>>
God dann it. I really didn't want to deal with this cross over shit, especially so early in a new run of a book
>>
Continuing the greentext from >>83846365:
October's crossover issues are Nightwing #6, Batman #8, and Detective Comics #942. After that Mikel Janin may be drawing Batman, Marcus To on Nightwing, and Eddy Barrows back on Tec.
>>
>>83846365
>The story begins in Batman #7 (9/21), followed by Nightwing #5 (9/21), and Detective Comics #941 (9/28).
Holy shit, this literally finishes in 2 weeks. Fucking nice
>>
>>83846486
See >>83846299
>>
>>83846471
Supergirl is not twice monthly, so he probably has plenty of time. If he gets JSA, I imagine it won't come out earlier than December/January.
>>
>>83846471
I think the same, plebs usually forget that gotham is filled with magic and monsters
>>
>>83846508
Not to mention, I think Seeley,King and Tynion may be co-writing still
>>
So what's the deal? Is Orlando co writing these 3 titles for 1 month with guest artists like Rossmo? Or is there a book end type deal like Robin War had and tie in issues in between?
>>
it seems orlando's just showrunning this while others write individual issues.
i like that he says he's a huge comics history nerd and that this will be him playing with bat-history for a bit.

on another note, I feel like in the past five years we've seen this revival trend of weirdly obscure batman villains, like from tiger shark to dr. double-x to deacon blackfire and so on
>>
>>83846625
>>83846633
I honestly can't tell. Someone ask on twitter how the issues are gonna be written.
>>
>>83846471
Gotham is Alan Scott.
>>
>>83846633
> dr. double-x
fuck, for real?
>>
>>83846238
Japanese word for giant monsters, so like Godzilla or Mothers ect
>>
>>83846679
it was briefly in batman eternal. they did an edged-up horror revival kind of thing of him
>>
>>83846633
Steve Orlando's own tweet says that the crossover will also involve Roge Antonio (possibly on Nightwing) and Andy McDonald (probably on Tec). This possibly means Rossmo will draw the Batman parts.
>>
>>83846679
>>83846688
also scott snyder did crazy quilt in the batman endgame arc, and dr. death in zero year

the snyder era of bat comics and all writers associated with him has in part been about reviving obscure villains
>>
>>83846688
worth a read or not?

>TFW the first comic i ever owned was an issue with dr. double x
>>
Gotham is alan scott mark my words
>>
>>83846702
And yet, none of them still stick around.
>>
>>83846717
eternal was alright
>>
>>83846724
>Gotham is Trump.
>>
>>83846717
Meh. It's uneven as fuck but there's good parts and some really good artists.
>>
>>83846717
Yeah. Batman Eternal was fun to me.
>>
>>83846742
>>83846733
sounds worth a look, cheers
>>
>>83846717
not really
the eternal books kind of fizzle out halfway through because they had a selection of mediocre writers on em
like batman eternal starts off with a cool premise and runs with it for a bit and then it gets retarded with a bunch of sub-plots. It brought back spoiler though

batman and robin eternal, its sequel, is shit front to back except for reviving azrael. they said it was a celebration of robin's 75th when its literally "HARPER ROW IS PERFECT THE COMIC"
only good thing it did was bring back cass cain
>>
>>83846753
that last part is a little contradictory. I think its cool they brought back azrael but the execution of it was pretty bad. the only revival it got right was cass imo*
>>
>>83846753
You'd say it's 10/10 comic if comic shilled Cass instead of Harper.
>>
>>83846813
no i'm not that much of a characterfag. the stuff with harper felt genuinely forced especially towards the end when it was like "harper and duke are the perfect choices to be robin, my first picks" like not only is that a dumb shift in batman's early years, it kind of totally invalidates dick's place as robin, as batman's adopted son, who set the example to follow and evolved into something more than robin, more than batman.
>>
>>83846813
Cass was his daughter, there's. A difference between bruce kids and people like batwoman, harper or even babs.
>>
No thanks, love the creators but there is no lead up to this story at all, it just came out of nowhere. I find it hard to believe that King, Seeley and Tynion have been leading their books in to an eventual event involving Kaiju Men. I'm getting worried that the bi-weekly schedule has finally caught up, easy pass.
>>
>>838464801

>Janin on Batman

I know he doesn't do horrible tracer work, but his tracer artwork still bothers me from time to time.
>>
>>83846957
They said for a while they'll have crossovers so that writers can keep up the bi monthly schedule
>>
Not even 10 issues into Rebirth and we already have crossovers interrupting stories.
>>
>>83847288
Were you expecting anything else?

Honestly, it's really weird how /co/ thought Rebirth was anything else but a way to get more sales. Renumbering DC and AC to get the sweet #1000 money, 95% of the books being A-listers, crossovers/events and books being pretty much made by commitee with Johns overseeing everything. It's pretty clear writers don't have much freedom to do what they want. Can't even blame them, sales were in the shitter and WB probably demanded they do something quickly to bring more sales.
>>
>>83847388
If more people bought DCYou...
>>
>>83847118
>>twice-monthly schedule
ftfy
>>
>>83847288
It probably won't interrupt stories. King said months ago that the double shipping would meant that crossovers only take up one issue a month while stories continue in the other one.
>>
>>83846652
>Gotham is Alan Scott.

I've been saying this for like a week or two now. It fits well enough.
>>
>>83846246
I have never before written or said these words which I am now to post.
"Spot the casual"
Now, I know you're going to say /co/, but I had to point it out.
>>
>>83846239
DC will let you know when their top selling titles aren't 4 Batman titles, 4 Harley Quinn titles, 1 Justice League title and 1 Superman title
>>
>>83847777
>and 1 Superman title

Superbooks don't sell that significantly. Basically the same as Flash and GL.
>>
>>83847612
Yeah, lots of ifs.

I supported those books and told other people about them, but I can't do more than that. Unfortunately that's how comic book fans are. I'm glad people are enjoying Rebirth, but nostalgia pandering and bland superhero stories are not for me. I got used to my on and off relationship with the Big Two, I'll just wait for the Young Animal books to come out.
>>
File: Batman-and-the-monster-men.jpg (42 KB, 300x463) Image search: [Google]
Batman-and-the-monster-men.jpg
42 KB, 300x463
Is there any correlation?
>>
>>83846238
Godzilla and related characters. It's retarded to not just call it "giant monsters", but whatever.
>>
>>83846633
King is bringing back Kite-Man too
>>
Well this just killed a ton of the goodwill Rebirth had built up.
>>
File: godzillavsbatman.jpg (123 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
godzillavsbatman.jpg
123 KB, 650x366
>Batman vs. Godzilla
>Intended Release: 1966
>Conceived by: Shinichi Sekizawa

>The original idea for this, seemingly, mismatched crossover comes from the hand of series writer Shinichi Sekizawa, who submitted a manuscript of the proposal on November of 1965. Sekizawa's concept featured several characters from the Batman universe, including Robin and Commissioner Gordon. To actually battle the King of the Monsters, Batman and his sidekicks would have utilized several vehicles to engage in combat, including the Batmobile, the Batcopter and the Batcycle. Interesting to note, the concept also featured the introduction of a weather control apparatus, an idea which would later be worked into the Son of Godzilla (1967) script. It also was going to have another device to control Godzilla himself, which would possibly indicate another antagonist being behind pitting the two characters against each other.

>In terms of Sekizawa's motivation, his reasoning seems clear in these drafts: to try and repeat the mammoth international success that the King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962) crossover enjoyed. This is made apparant in allusions to the earlier 1962 film, as even this extremely early take at the concept included mention of Godzilla's battle with King Kong, which was noted as being included with stock footage of the two titans fighting.

>Not surprinsgly, though, the concept never got far enough for a full fledged script to have been created. There are many questions related to the proposal still unknown as well, such as if DC comics was ever actually approached with the idea or not. It's also not known to what degree the then recent Batman TV series, which debuted two months after Sekizawa proposed this idea, might have played, if any. It's also interesting to note that references to "Batgirl" are made in the concept, which would predate the Barbara Gordon version of the character that would later become synopsis with the name in 1966.
>>
File: hugo3-1.jpg (52 KB, 392x285) Image search: [Google]
hugo3-1.jpg
52 KB, 392x285
>>83847876

Of course there is. The Wagner comic is a modern update of the original Monster Men story and this will probably be similar
>>
>>83846215

Seriously if double shipping means lame crossovers every three months I guess I don't have to worry about my bloated pull list, as I won't be spending a dollar on them unless the crossover feels earned.
>>
>>83847388
Don't forget more trades coming out and less time in between them
Two trades will be complete by December for the June books

And Robin War and the Superbooks were the crossovers for the past year and sales were getting to be ass for almost everybody
Of course there's gonna be more crossovers
>>
>crossovers every 3 months so the artists can keep up with a bi-monthly schedules
>two year underlying storyline that will culminate in an event
Rebirth was a mistake.
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 636x355) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 636x355
So it seems like they'll do this type of stuff to give the creative teams of Batman/Detective/Nightwing time to keep up with the schedule. Wouldn't be surprised if the Superman line will have something like this too.
>>
>>83846279
>Dick's face
>>
>>83848350
>Wouldn't be surprised if the Superman line will have something like this too.
It sounds like a perfect opportunity for Mark Millar next year.
>>
>>83848088
Yeah it's actually kind of good because some months you can skip out on the crossover issues and only pay the 2.99 once for what you actually want.
>>
>>83848365
I don't want whatever he's writing (if he picks the DC project) to be trapped in the setting of Jurgens and Tomasi. That makes it almost pointless really.
>>
>>83846295
Took me a second to figure out what was going on with those cops.
>>
Honestly the entire thing sounds neat as fuck, I still like Orlando so far, this seems right up his alley, but it's still a crossover

>>83848350
They most likely will when the Batman one is over.
Same with the GL books
They may put a month or so in between the two to have them rest
>>
All right lets agree on future cross-overs
>Reign of the Supermen finale
>Titans, Teen Titans, JL and JSA cross-over
>>
>>83847847
And they'll have decent stories and nobody will buy them.
Not your fault, of course. Readers are terrible.
>>
>>83848470
>Hal and Friends, GLs
More space and lantern shit
>Titans, Teen Titans
probably to lead up to a YJ book lets get real
>Superbooks
Some massive thing that takes Superwoman, Kenan, Supergirl, and Superman and anybody else to beat
Maybe new 52 Superman is seen and explained
>>
>Giant monster is wrecking everything
>Suddenly, BatGattai
>>
>>83848470
TT and Titans are where it starts to hurt because I believe both of those are just monthlies.
>>
>>83846284
>>83846286
>>83846301
I wanna fuck that kaiju
>>
If there is Kaiju monsters them Batman is going to need its own BAT-GIANTROBOT!!!
>>
>>83848687
Snyder gave him enough robots and mechas
>>
>>83846316
That infected red horned monster looks like that new Gothan man, I mean, his clothes.
>>
>>83846215
>Steve Orlando leading the new Batman family crossover
>it'll cross over Batman,Nightwing & Detective Comics
>Orlando
>Nightwing
I'm in.
>>
This sounds pretty good but I still think it's a bit early for crossovers.

I hope they're not gonna do crossovers every 3 months for every line.
>>
>>83847796
>Justice League title
Superman tend to sell in the 40 to 50 range and does ok in digital.
Sometimes evn gets in the top 10 withc special issues.
>>
We want the Attack on Titan audience
>>
>>83848517
Quality is subjective. So what tone people want to see in boos.
>>
>>83848843
Crossover sells, they certainly replaced the old team up books as well in function.

People want to see their favorites all together or the big names.
>>
>>83846215
>bringing back the Monster Men
Based as hell
>>
>>83846316
Look the designs.
>>
>>83846215
Mah nigga Orlando is moving up in the world. Fuck yeah.
>>
>>83848845
No, Superman is mostly 30k. Only went higher in early new 52 and then a little later when Johns was on the book for a short time. It doesn't sell that well.
>>
>>83849159
still sells better than all the image books not walking dead or hipster comixs.
>>
>>83849281
Is that supposed to be an achievement?
>>
>>83849309
yeah considering all the faggot love for image and hipster books.

Marvel is the obv king of sales.
>>
>>83846357
He's an exclusive writer at DC who has worked with Doyle and the bat offices in the past. They got him to write two issues of each book to give the other writers a break
>>
>>83846633
Orlando brought back Sterling Silversmith in 4 page Gotham Academy short too. This guy is awesome.
>>
>>83846957
>it just came out of nowhere.
Literally the point faggot. Did you even read about it or you just want to shitpost?
>>
>>83848365
Whatever he's writing, probably won't be edited by berganza
>>
So when DC said they would take ideas they would normally put in stand alone minis and work them instead in to the main comic, I guess they meant this.
>>
>>83849548
faggot.
>>
Orlando will be co-writing with the regular writings of Batman, Tec, and Nightwing.

Here are the artists for this crossover:
>Batman - Riley Rossmo (CONSTANTINE: THE HELLBLAZER)
>Detective Comics - Andy MacDonald (THE NEW 52: FUTURES END)
>Nightwing - Roge Antonio (GRAYSON)

Sauce: http://www.newsarama.com/29773-batman-detective-nightwing-take-part-in-dc-rebirth-s-1st-crossover.html
>>
>>83848350
>He's writing it all
Based. At least the quality will be consistent. My problem with Robin War was how uneven it was in terms of quality and pacing.
>>83848365
He's gonna get his own title.
>>
>>83849652
Did Millar say he's coming back to DC or something?
>>
>>83849150
>King wrote half of Robin War
>now main writer of Batman
>Tomasi writes entire Superman crossover
>becomes Superman writer
>Orlando writes an entire crossover
>???

dc pls give him more stuff
>>
>>83849646
>Rosmmo
Based
>Roge Antonio
Yuck
Don't know about the third guy.
>>
>>83849646
>writings
writers*
>>
So, I'm guessing this is going to be:
>9/21: Batman 7, Nightwing 5
>9/28: Tec 941
>10/5: Batman 8, Nightwing 6
>10/12: Tec 942

From Rossmo's interview
(http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/exclusive-riley-rossmo-talks-batman-and-night-of-t/1100-155692/)
it seems like he'll specifically be drawing Batman 7 and 8. Interesting, given that Janin should have more than enough of a break with Finch doing Batman 1-6. I'm guessing with drawing Superman 51/52 and Batman:Rebirth, he still needed more time.

Overall, it sounds...OK. My biggest gripe is that I'm not a huge fan of Orlando, so him writing Batman and Nightwing is something of a letdown (although, looking at the info, it seems he'll be co-writing everything, which seems better).

It's a cool premise, and bare minimum, I'm alright with crossovers if they're over with quickly. Here, it's just 4 weeks and it's over with. I can deal with that.
>>
>>83849700
He said he has a Superman project he has been dreaming to do for ages and he has a special project for Marlel. He's going to do one of them by the end of the year.
>>83849713
JSA
S
A
WHEN?
H
E
N
?
>>
>>83849646
Weak artists for Detective and Nightwing, Rossmo is fucking awesome though.
>>
>>83849739
>Interesting, given that Janin should have more than enough of a break with Finch doing Batman 1-6. I'm guessing with drawing Superman 51/52 and Batman: Rebirth, he still needed more time.
Janin will use Poser more to make up for that
>>
>>83846215
I'm actually really excited. They finally realized that with all these Batfamily members they needed a team book. Turning Detective comics into the Bat team up book is a great idea.
>>
>>83849899
Damian ?
>>
>>83849713
He's very likely getting the JSA book, if/when that happens. My, and some other people's, working theory is that the JSA book is the still-under-wraps JLA bi-weekly.

Hell, if comes with the next solicits, then September will be the month of Orlando through and through:

>Bat-family crossover
>Supergirl launched
>JSA/JLA book

But, again, that's a lot of "ifs".
>>
>>83849920
Pretty sure they confirmed JSA is a book that's coming later with Atom, Shazam, and LOSH
Like 2017 later
>>
>>83849915
In Teen Titans hell and Super Sons.
>>
>>83846215
What about Batgirl, Red Hood and Robin?
>>
>>83850035
Isn't Batgirl finding herself in Asia or some shit?
>>
>>83849915
He's going to be appearing a lot in Nightwing
>>
>>83849978
>Batman, & Detective Comics
"Get No Money From Me" -:/
>>
File: new-batsuit-greg-capullo.png (405 KB, 620x568) Image search: [Google]
new-batsuit-greg-capullo.png
405 KB, 620x568
>>83846215
People already ditched the Capullo belt at the start of Rebirth. Looks like people are already ditching the Capullo yellow bat-trim?
>>
>>83849899
My problem is that if Tec is about training newbies then why Duke is in Batman and not there?
>>
>>83850035
Not a part Orlando says it twitter.
>>
>>83850093
He'll still recurringly appear in Bat books, for Christ's sake he hasn't been banished or anything, and he was barely in Batman or Detective before the rebirth anyway.
>>
File: Batman (2011-) 050-013.jpg (4 MB, 3975x3056) Image search: [Google]
Batman (2011-) 050-013.jpg
4 MB, 3975x3056
>>83850143
>ditched the Capullo belt at the start of Rebirth.
SHADOWS! HOW THE FUCK DO THEY WORK?!
>>
>>83850191
>'l still recurringly appear in Bat books
Nope.
>>
>>83850093
Ditto.
>>
>>83846274
>>>How would you describe the sorts of monsters we'll be seeing?
>>Riley Rossmo: They're kind of kaiju, I guess. They're like Pacific Rim-scale monsters, for the most part.
>>>How big are you talking?
>>Rossmo: That's a good question. There's a bunch of different ones. The smallest one is sort of like the queen from Aliens. There's one kind of like the Slurm Queen in Futurama. The biggest ones are like Godzilla-scale.

Fuck. I hate crossovers (they wouldn't be so bad if there weren't so freakin' many of them all the time) but I really want to see Batman and friends fight giant monsters. I'm not sure how to feel about all this.
>>
this seems really weird to me, so Orlando is taking over those Batbooks for a month for a crossover?
>>
>>83850284
faggot.
>>
>>83849978
Both aren't under Berganza. At least TT isn't so there's still hope anon.
>>
>>83850035
>>83850178
DC are turning down a Bat crossover sales bump? Only reason I can think of is because its coming so soon those books won't have their own plots set up yet.
>>
>>83847979
For fucks sake
>>
>>83850297
Gives time for artists of those books to prepare for the second arc.

Expect a Superman crosover too.
>>
>>83850035
Robin is in Teen Titans and Supersons so that book can't crossover

Batgirl and Red Hood are monthly so there's no point in them crossing over
>>
No Babara No money from me, then.".
>>
>>83850353

i get why i guess i thought it would be later or have some forewarning (tho I guess Tomasi's Superarc at the end of nu52 was a precursor)
>>
>>83850357
It is an insult to Batgirl and Red Hood fans..Fuck That Shit.
>>
>>83846299
ooooh, love the short ears on Batman there.
>>
>>83850357
>Robin is in Teen Titans and Supersons so that book can't crossover
Actually Titan's in the New 52 always got involved in Bat crossovers since Robin was the biggest name on the team. Or that could have just been when Lobdell was the writer they only one I can really remember is Death of the Family.
>>
>>83850442
Gotta make it fresh somehow.
>>
>>83850353
>Expect a Superman crosover too.
This actually has high probability of being decent, who'll write Superman crossover? Jurgens? Tomasi? Shit even before they're announced.
>>
>>83850478
They can make it fresh by fucking off
>>
>>83850490
If only we'd be so lucky.
>>
>>83850460
>>83850442
Report Damifag so that he gets banned, again.
>>
>>83850158
Tim and Cass are a lot further along than Duke, Tim's already had some training from Batman and has led the Titans.
Steph at least has some combat training from Catwoman

All of them have way more experience than Duke and can actually be trusted enough to be allowed out in the field.
>>
>>83850191
>He'll still recurringly appear in Bat books
Not in Batman.

>he hasn't been banished or anything
You sure about that? The way Tom King talked about it in a podcast, it seemed DC told him not to use Damian that they had other plans for him.
>>
>>
>>83850442
>>83850478
It can''t be the original Damifag if you argue back with them they start shouting
>>you; ARE jasonfan; leve now
>>
>>83850609
>What is dynamic IP
But seriously, ban this faggot.
>>
>>83850229
Not the way that belt's been coloured. It keeps flip flopping.
>>
>>83850654
Damifag is evolving.
>>
>>83850689
Then all hope is lost.
>>
>Steve Orlando @thesteveorlando
>#Batman - Night of the Monster Men will hopefully further establish #Batwoman #Batman and #Nightwing as equal pillars of the Bat-Family

https://twitter.com/thesteveorlando/status/743815797106151424

Will he succeed anons?
>>
>>83846299
>I think its the first time Batman has fought Godzilla
Old Godzilla was jumping around...
>>
>>83850746
Nah, no one will ever be as important as Batgod.
>>
File: Rebirth Lrg.png (2 MB, 1100x2020) Image search: [Google]
Rebirth Lrg.png
2 MB, 1100x2020
>>83850667
The black on the belt has always been shadow. The belt has never been colored black for any other reason but to convey shadow. The "Capullo Belt" wasn't dropped because it is still painted black post Rebirth to convey shadow. Shit, the fucking Rebirth promo art had him looking like pic related...
>>
File: DETECTIVE COMICS #934.jpg (421 KB, 1200x1822) Image search: [Google]
DETECTIVE COMICS #934.jpg
421 KB, 1200x1822
>>83850779
...while the Tec cover had him looking like this, because the black has only ever been meant to be shadow. Those who disagree suffer from low levels of grey matter within their skull.
>>
>>83850746
>Batwoman #Batman and #Nightwing as equal pillars of the Bat-Family
Seeing as how they haven't even given Batwomen her own book, and if Nightwing being Batman and a secret agent didn't already do that then no.
>>
>>83847288
Remember people, DC threw out pre-Flashpoint for money. Now all they're doing is bringing it back for money.
>>
>>83847288
It's only one issue of the month and the main artists literally need filler artists to give them more time
And I think they said it'll replace minis that would sell worse and crossovers just sell more

And the last Batman crossover was Robin War back in December so that's pretty good imo
>>
>>83850836
>Company trying to get money produces stuff to get money.
So insightful, anon.
>>
>>83850905
The only reason for that is that B&R Eternal only ended in March and Bruce wasn't even Batman again until the other month.
>>
>>83850958
I'm just saying, Rebirth isn't some great artistic shift towards the promised land of perfect comics, it's just a marketing scheme.
>>
>>83850792
>>83850792
Show me one instance of it being yellow in the interiors of detective comics and Batman. You can't, because it's not shadows.
>>
All this sounds hilariously awesome.
>>
>>83850978
Post-Rebirth, right?
>>
>>83851023
Yes.
>>
>>83851055
Okay. I mean the first thing I was responding to was the assertion that the use of black on the belt was thrown out, but okay.

Panel 1
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-sfML_YpergY/V2Nn0ONdRgI/AAAAAAAU1EM/08FurHu3cd4E4pvoXtZcxPfhOvgnflmZwCLcB/s1600/04_04.jpg

Panel 3
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-EyVLo9KK7YI/V06RO87EZvI/AAAAAAAUr_w/buUG2L9lQD4Azx3u5w4hztG8gec0NN2BACLcB/s1600/01_10.jpg
>>
>>83846215
>written all by Orlando

So that dc/marvel thing Millar teased recently is definitely going to be the inevitable Superman crossover after this, right?
>>
>Orlando's book
Whelp, that's an instant buy for me
>>
>>83850977
That's wrong though. That's exactly what Rebirth is. It's the dawn of a new age. The savior of cape comics. The uncontested best stories being produce by the big 2 currently. This is an objective fact so far.
>>
>>83846357
Orlando's friends with all three of those writers. And he's a DC exclusive.
>>
>>83851274
DCYou flopped, non DCYou books in general started to flop, and ANAD flopped, so they were finally allowed to bring back fan favorites that people have been screaming about for the past 5 years
If sales were still like they were in the first or second year of New 52 they'd still be just thinking about it instead of actually doing it
>>
>>83850035
Nobody cares.
>>
>>83851274
Anon are you posting behind seven layers of irony?
>>
>>83846215

Oh okay, it's just a Bat line thing. Nothing to see here, folks.
>>
>>83850337
>Only reason I can think of is because its coming so soon those books won't have their own plots set up yet
Probably. Batgirl and Red Hood will be in their second issue in September and TT will be just starting their rebirth issue.
>>
>>83851349
You obviously cared enough to answer.
>>
>>83851365
Not a single thing he said isn't true though. Ign even wrote an article about it.
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 614x262) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 614x262
>>
File: 1456202431622.jpg (28 KB, 334x299) Image search: [Google]
1456202431622.jpg
28 KB, 334x299
>>83851722
>Ign even wrote an article about it.
>>
>>83852332
IGN is the master of comics when they say something I agree with
>>
>>83851209
It's not yellow there, it's black. The Black is not just shadow.
>>
File: 5636.png (148 KB, 297x247) Image search: [Google]
5636.png
148 KB, 297x247
>>83851274
>>83851722
>>
>>83852332
>>83852443
No. Ign is a normie site though that usually has a Marvel bias. It's telling that normie journalist sites are starting to gravitate more towards DC.
>>
>>83852447
Maybe on the second one, but the first has black on the other parts of the costume that are supposed to permanently be black, like the Bat for instance. I'm still not sure what you're trying to argue, or if you're the anon I responded to in the first place.
>>
>>83852298
I'm honestly surprised Seeley and Orlando could come up with a crossover that doesn't involve Wildstorm.
>>
File: 250px-Madmonk_3.jpg (31 KB, 250x391) Image search: [Google]
250px-Madmonk_3.jpg
31 KB, 250x391
So we're getting either Hugo Strange or the Mad Monk with this, right?
>>
Cool, only weak link here is Tynion.
>>
>>83852518
I'm saying the black bits on the belt aren't shadows. They're black throughout the issue. Change in lighting did not affect it.
>>
>>83852632
you're an idiot.
>>
>>83852654
Except within the same issue it was introduced and drawn buy the guy who designed it, you mean, right? >>83850229
>>
>>83852683
The guy didn't colour it though. And I'm only going by what's in the actual current books, which so far have not treated them as shadows. Besides, if it was shadow wouldn't FCO had done it coloured it before like so as well? I can't seem to remember him doing so, but I could've missed it.
>>
>>83852768
>Besides, if it was shadow wouldn't FCO had done it coloured it before like so as well? I can't seem to remember him doing so, but I could've missed it.
Gonna give you a mulligan on this, because I didn't understand it.
>>
>>83852803
Sorry about that. What I meant is that if the black bits were shadow, wouldn't FCO (the colourist) have coloured the belt black before the redesign as well? I don't seem to remember him doing so, but I could very well be mistaken.
>>
>>83852847
I really don't know, man. I can only go by what I see, and while Batman since the Rebirth hasn't really been in bright light to contrast/compare against, he was introduced standing on top of a spot light, and the page following that introduction (the one I linked to previously) had it colored differently per the lighting, with the parts in shadow colored with the same color scheme as the new logo. I would like to believe that while Capullo may not have colored it, his sketches would have most likely included the black areas that would have been intended to be shadows. Post that issue, it is entirely up to artistic interpretation of the respective artists. Has anyone just flat out texted Capullo and asked him yet?
>>
So, while we are on the subject of crossovers, has Saturn Girl turned up in anything since Rebirth?
>>
>>83853211
No
>>
>>83853211
No. Expect her in the Superman books.
>>
File: gosh.png (7 KB, 191x234) Image search: [Google]
gosh.png
7 KB, 191x234
>>83853249
>The inevitable super crossover is actually there to make LOSH a spin off book
>>
>>83846386
Superfriends?
>>
>Orlando writes Super crossover
>LoSH reintroduced
>New Legion book by Orlando
Sign me up FA.M
>>
>>83850158

Because they are field ready. Also Tim is the TA not a student.
>>
>>83846477
Fuck off Kekwing
>>
>>83853626
>>83853938
>edited by Berganza and Cotton
>>
>>83850158
Duke is mostly going to be in the cave in batman. It's because Snyder going to have the most focus on him. It is his character.,
>>
File: in the name of love.png (351 KB, 451x314) Image search: [Google]
in the name of love.png
351 KB, 451x314
>>83854147
>>
>>83846215
I'm glad Orlando's getting more exposure so that when he does work on Authority it doesn't sell like shit.
>>
How can anyone have a problem with this?
>>
>>83854147
Only Andy Khouri, accept no substitutes.
I kid, but him, Orlando and Seeley seem to be the nicest people on twitter
>>
>>83854261
going a year without crossovers would be nice
>>
>>83854318
It might as well just be a miniseries that's pumped out in a month and it's a FAR more preferable way of building lead-in time for biweekly books than just shoving in fill-in artists.
>>
>>83854147
Leave us be, have we not suffered enough already?
>>
>>83854360
true but i just really hate crossovers
>>
Since Middy is basically supporting cast for Grayson, I wonder if we'll see him here? I mean they do need someone to take down a Godzilla-sized monster.
>>
Unrelated but I'm fucking hype for Atom and JSA
>>
>Sterling Silversmith in Gotham Academy
>Lar-On in Supergirl
>Monster Men in the Batbooks
Fuck, I love Orlando. He's on a roll here.
>>
Night of the Monster Girls when?
>>
>>83854317
>Andy Khouri seems to be [one of] the nicest people on twitter
No.
>>
>>83854402
You're the ones fantasizing about a LoSH book spinning off of a superman crossover.
>>
>>83855957
no anon
>>
>>83846228
>You'll see the sort of rift or tension between the different ways Batman and Nightwing do things is central to Monster Men and that comes out in Nightwing

Because that's a story we've never seen before ◔_◔
>>
>>83849646
This is New 52 all over again. How does DC expect a new title to be successful when they toss it into a crosover on the 5th fucking issue?
>>
>>83856556
Crossovers help most titles be successful

Batwoman kept dropping in sales while Nightwing and Batgirl kept going back up due to CoO and DOTF despite the three of them being very close in sales at the start.
>>
>>83856556
Crossovers increase sales. It's why they do it.
>>
>>83856556
The increase in sales was already mentioned, but this also allows the bi-monthly artists to finish upcoming issues without resorting to fill-in artists on main stories. At the very least Finch needs a head start and I'm sure he's not the only one.
>>
already a crossover. fuck sake
>>
>>83856606
>>83856645
>>83856762
I should have been more specific. I mean successful from an artistic standpoint. Most Bat-family crossovers are guided by the main Batman book and derail the plots and momentum in the other titles.

Bat-Crossovers like Robin War or Brotherhood of the Fist that spawn out of a minor book are rare
>>
>>83856843
Did you even read the interview, you spastic?
>>
>>83856843
>I mean successful from an artistic standpoint.
I don't think they care about it as long as people buy it

Nightwing got destroyed by crossovers yet it and the trades all sold better than Grayson and probably still do
>>
>>83846215
What's the continuation of the comediant's pin on batman's cave? JLA? What volume?
Not trolling, just got into DC.
>>
>>83856843
>crossovers are guided by the main Batman book and derail the plots and momentum in the other titles
That's not the case here
>>
>>83856937
So far it's been in Flash Rebirth
>>
>>83856883
Go read the interviews for Court of Owls or Death of the Family. Same high ideals, same promises, shit results for every title outside of Batman. Develop some skepticism.
>>
>>83854317

The guy who does the art for Action Comics right now, Patrick ZIrcher, is a pretty cool guy too.
>>
>>83852646

Even then Tynion has written some good stuff before, he's just mediocre on a regular basis.
>>
>>83857246
Yeah the only thing that gives me hope about this crossover is it's short and runs through only 3 titles so it can't destroy that much
>>
>>83846274
>There'll be some monster-versions of some of the Bat-Family.

Not as interested after reading this but what the hell.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.