[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Be a solider in the Spartan army resting at camp after a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 11
File: greekbust.jpg (83 KB, 651x1037) Image search: [Google]
greekbust.jpg
83 KB, 651x1037
>Be a solider in the Spartan army resting at camp after a long day of war
>Blind old storyteller comes up and join me and my battle brothers at the campfire to tell us some epics
>The old man during his storytelling has the nerve to say that Batdysseus is a better hero than Supercles
>At that very moment I wanted draw my sword and run the old fool through
>Now I understand why he is blind, for Zeus must have cursed him for having such horrible taste.
>Not knowing that Supercles of DCieos Epics and Tonycius the Iron-Greek of Maverllus Epics are the best heroes of the epics.
>>
Why not just use Hercules as an example OP he's neither permanently tied to Marvel or DC
>>
>>83830061
In all fairness, op, 4chan is much gayer than the Greeks ever were.
>>
>>83832175
I dunno.. Greeks were pretty gay. Full on naked Olympics gay.
>>
>>83830061
>Iron Greek
>Not Centurion Macedonia
Surely you jest.
>>
>>83832249
It was more narcissistic than gay anon. People also get this comparison of mythology to comics books all twisted up and backwards, assuming myths were as vapid as comic books are now, rather than understanding that comic books should instead be striving for the depth of meaning the Greek mythological canon has.
>>
Spartans were just a bunch of overrated fuckbois.
>>
>>83830061
>Be a solider in the Spartan army resting at camp after a long day of war
>talking shitty epics instead of fucking your boytoy to relax after battle
Pretty faggy son.
>>
File: Michelangelo_'David'_by_JBU0001.jpg (3 MB, 2063x3095) Image search: [Google]
Michelangelo_'David'_by_JBU0001.jpg
3 MB, 2063x3095
>>83830061
>Greekbust
>Clearly neither Greek, nor a bust, but David
>>
>>83830061
As expected from a city of losers
>>
>>83832338
>>83832444
Say that to my face and not by messenger and see what happens?

Don't let me catch you at the temples of Ares or Zeus or the city of Sparda.
>>
>>83830061
But what about little Robinises?
>>
>>83830061
>not Winter Hoplyte

REEEEEEEEEEEEE NORMIES
>>
Get this guys. I heard from some of the other hunters that some of the women in their villages are trying to tell their own epics about Arachnid-Women and Harpy-Girl. By Zeus, women can't be epic heroes.
>>
>>83832301
>implying 90% of greek myth isnt just vapid shit just like comics

I really do enjoy these faux intellectual posts though 4chan
>>
>>83833352
There's a reason that these mythologies have been studied and translated throughout all of human history. There isn't a single one that is vapid, it's just your understanding of them that is lacking.

You can't just simply admit that you only have a cursory, exterior understanding of this knowledge, you have to in arrogance assert that your limited understanding is actually correct, and it's the knowledge itself that is lacking, then claim anyone who disagrees is only pretending to understand the knowledge.
>>
File: sphinx.jpg (18 KB, 480x315) Image search: [Google]
sphinx.jpg
18 KB, 480x315
>that agony felt when the gods will never bless me with a sphinx as a wife
>that agony felt when I will never hear her whisper lewd riddles into my ear with which the answer lies between my legs
Oh how Hades is so cruel for making me wait for death, for life with out her is worse than the fires of tartarus
>>
>>83832437
I fucking love Michelangelo's David.
>>
>>83833612
Not them but just because they are studied doesn't mean they aren't vapid. Shakespeare was vapid and pandered just as much as comics do now and he's studied the world over.
>>
>>83834251
King David is a pretty striking heroic figure, the Warrior Poet of Israel, performing heroic deeds across the land, wielding the sword of Goliath that was made for the hands of giant.
>>
>>83834383
Again, it's your understand of the subject matter that is vapid, not the subject matter itself. I don't pretend that subjects that I haven't studied are as exterior as my personal understanding of them. These texts do have significant meaning, and just asserting that they don't based on nothing is arrogant on your part.
>>
>>83833966
>>>/tg/
Gorgons are superior anyway.
>>
>>83834489
No, they were literally vapid entertainment of their time. Bear fighting was the high brow entertainment of the day.
>>
>>83832304

Who sold all of Greece out to the Romans.
>>
>>83830061
The Greeks had tons of stories about their gods just from town to town. They didn't exactly have a canon so to speak.
>>
>>83835197
They were actually the metaphorical framework for artists, poets and scholars to express philosophical and metaphysical concepts within their cultural expressions. It's only your conception of these myths that understands them as vapid entertainment. You can't just keep asserting this kind of blatant ignorance over and over again when you clearly know that you're incorrect.
>>
>>83835426
They absolutely did have a cohesive, unified canon, you just have to put the work in to piece it together, as it is a massively fragmented and ancient canon that demands effort on the part of anyone who wishes to understand it
>>
>>83835442
But I'm not incorrect, they were essentially the penny dreadfuls of their day. Cheap entertainment, the only thing that gives them relevance is time.
>>
File: greek pepe.png (103 KB, 624x434) Image search: [Google]
greek pepe.png
103 KB, 624x434
>>83832765
Lechaeum
Tegyra
Leuctra
>>
>>83835442
They were just shitty stories about monsters and guys who slept with their mothers. Yes, we all took high-school level literature classes, believe it or not. Just because you were the one that sucked up and got an A doesn't mean you know shit about good writing.
>>
>>83835561
They were actually expansive symbolic murals that weaved a metaphysical narrative through metaphorical imagery. Each myth has deep layers of philosophical meaning that only expands in relation to the tapestry of the canon. You haven't read these stories, and aee making a false equivalence out of ignorance.

I don't know why you insist on arrogantly pretending that you understand this subject matter
>>
>>83835651
>They were actually expansive symbolic murals that weaved a metaphysical narrative through metaphorical imagery. Each myth has deep layers of philosophical meaning that only expands in relation to the tapestry of the canon.
Sounds a lot like capeshit comics to me anon. Like exactly like capeshit comics.
>>
>>83835197
[Citation needed]
>>
>>83835691
Well that's obvious, capeshit is quit clearly the only thing you read.
>>
>>83835633
Why do you think your high school level understanding of the entirety of the Greek mythological canon gives you the necessary foundation to make these claims anon?
>>
File: 1368066794309.png (89 KB, 1000x941) Image search: [Google]
1368066794309.png
89 KB, 1000x941
>>83832301
>>83833612
>>83834489
>>83835442
>>83835651
>>83835779
>>
>>83835482
Explain yourself
>>
>>83835779
No, I was drawing the parallel between one cheap and shitty form of entertainment to another, i.e greek myth to capeshit.
>>83835727
Bear-baiting was loved by the royalty in England, they had great amphitheaters built for them. This is a known thing.
>>
>>83835859
I miss Quentin.
>>
>>83830061
This blog post is actually relevant.
>http://bettermyths.com/captain-america-isnt-bi-or-a-nazi-hes-just-god/
>>
>>83835846
Anon, cut the bullshit. The biggest factor in why we study what we do today from the old world is because that's survived. Just because a few gorgon stories with "deep" insights into modern literature were scraped up by an archaeologist doesn't mean they're good. The bible is the number one most-sold book in the world, but that doesn't make it deep or thought-provoking, quite the opposite, in fact. Whoops, can't say that on a christian imageboard!
>>
>>83835959
*that's what survived
>>
>>83835872
If you study the writings of ancient Greece in depth, you'll inevitably begin to piece together a cohesive mythography that portrays the entirety of the ordered Cosmos of the Olympians from it's creation to an open ended continuation of it's history. There is a clear progression through the Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age, Heroic Age and Iron Age. There are scholarly debates over details of canonicity, and there always will be differing interpretations, but this does not invalidate the existence of the canon as a whole.

>>83835896
Where did all of these extensive scholarly writings and analysis's of the allegorical and philosophical meanings of Greek Mythology come from them if these writings were so cheap and shitty? Why have scholars bothered to translate and preserve these writings throughout all of human history if they're so cheap and shitty?
>>
>>83835959
You just have a massive, unearned arrogance about yourself, and it's clear that you aren't nearly as intelligent as you think you are. You just have too sensitive of an ego and it can't withstand a simple admission of ignorance in regards to a subject you don't understand. You don't even see how absurd it is that you're trying to lord your superior intelligence over some of the greatest scholarly writings in all of human history, dismissing their significance off hand like you actually have any grasp of what they really are.

It's only your own personal understanding that lacks depth. Don't blame the knowledge itself for your own ignorance.
>>
>>83836119
>lord your superior intelligence

Buddy, you're the guy trying to argue something from a first year philosophy class to a bunch of people on 4chan. Do yourself a favor, and shut the fuck up.
>>
>>83836041
>Where did all of these extensive scholarly writings and analysis's of the allegorical and philosophical meanings of Greek Mythology come from them if these writings were so cheap and shitty? Why have scholars bothered to translate and preserve these writings throughout all of human history if they're so cheap and shitty?
Because it's old and survived, that's it. Greek mythology became stageplays which became penny dreadfuls which became dime store novels which became pulp magazines which became short fiction magazines which became pulp fiction which became comic books. All of which have the expansive narratives you are talking about and all of which were seen as cheap entertainment of their day
>>
>>83832282
>Centurion Macedonia
>not Arachnius
Leave this forum, fool.
>>
>>83836173
I've never really went to school anon. Nothing I'm talking about comes from any class. I'm just responding to your extreme, absurd arrogance, as it seems to be a pervasive issue in our society, people like yourself who aren't as intelligent as they think they are assert just blatant ignorance as truth because you don't understand the limitations of your own knowledge and can't accept when you don't understand something. Your ego is too fragile to withstand such a humble admission without crumbling, so you instead just insist that the scholarly knowledge complied of the philosophical thoughts of the ancient Greeks throughout all of human history is as simple and cursory as your understanding of it intrinsically.

We're even anonymous, and you suffer no consequences outside of experiencing a slight sense of humility, and you can't even admit when you don't know something.
>>
>>83833966
Fvrfags are not welcome here, imbecile.
>>
>>83836234
Are you really struggling this hard to realize that it's only your conception of this knowledge that adheres to this reductionist narrative? You only think like this because you have a limited frame of reference and have never actually spent the time to study these writings.
>>
>>83836340
>not wanting to fuck a cutie pie sphinx
the v as u thing is roman not greek
>>
>>83836365
It's ironic that you fail to see that you are just as limited in view because of how little fiction from that era survived.
>>
>>83836413
A great deal was preserved and restored by various scholars and writers in different eras throughout all of history, scholars who had access to these writings when they were written within a handful of past generations and still were largely intact. So much more has survived than you know about. I wouldn't say that your claim that I'm as ignorant and as limited in my understanding as you are holds any water.
>>
>>83836482
No anon, not a lot survived. And most of what did was children's stories that you now think are the height of culture because the people that wrote it died a long time ago.
>>
>>83836545
Why are you assuming that I have the same empty, ignorant understanding of these writings that you have? You know that I've actually read them and know that they aren't simplistic children's stories and you know that I know exactly how much has survived. What do you think you're going to accomplish just continuously asserting things that you know are clearly incorrect to a person who himself knows that they are incorrect?

What writers are you even referring to right now?
>>
>>83836413
>No u
Wow, I feel bad for the guy who's trying to show you something right now, because you're blind.
>>
>>83830061
>Praising the epics of Maverilius
>The very same that spreads the tasteless epic of the Nord pagan deity, Thor.

Truly the words of a castrated servant.
>>
File: took the bait.jpg (80 KB, 700x421) Image search: [Google]
took the bait.jpg
80 KB, 700x421
>>83836692
Anon, he's taking you for a ride. Just stop.
>>
>>83835442
>They were actually the metaphorical framework for artists, poets and scholars to express philosophical and metaphysical concepts within their cultural expressions
so like a grant morrison comic then
>>
>>83836784
It's something that all good comic book writers attempt to emulate in one way or another, yes.
>>
>>83830061
Beats the shit out of mainstream Greekshit

Literally every plot is

>Zeus got horny, terrible shit followed
>>
>Spartan
>laughingAthenaiwhores.frsco
>>
>>83836692
Aesop, the most famous "writer" in ancient Greece.
>>
>>83834420
What a nice bod he has there
>>
>>83830061
thug life
>>
File: David_Bernini_1623.jpg (208 KB, 915x960) Image search: [Google]
David_Bernini_1623.jpg
208 KB, 915x960
>>83834251
Not only is it not the best marble statue, it's not even the best David. Pleb.
>>
>>83835859
>implying you can't just be fucking both

why does 4chan have this whole, "if your this, then your this" mentality? it reminds me of that one song in high school musical when they have that song saying that certain people with certain hobbies can't do anything other than that hobby, just as fucking stupid and asinine as this.
>>
>>83839168
found the gamer
>>
>>83838978
>Bernini
Mah nigga. Was just going to say that Bernini is far better of a sculptor.
>>
File: the problems with comic books.gif (298 KB, 500x2188) Image search: [Google]
the problems with comic books.gif
298 KB, 500x2188
>itt: capefags think their vapid and stupid comics that are void of any substance and are all about wish fulfillment and pulls things out of their ass are better than the literal foundations of modern literature.

Jesus christ, I find ever more reason to hate capefags.
>>
>>83841157
You're not wrong and neither is he. Yes, by studying the myths we can glean much information on how the Greeks saw their world (though they are from the end-all be-all for Greek philosophy) but they were very much entertainment for the common man as well. The fact that they were Greek popular culture is probably in part why they've endured.

There are a handful of comics you could compare, but none that have the lasting appeal that the Myths did. Naturally this is because they were created very recently and have not had time to endure.

Additionally, it is true that we are the ones who have ascribed such importance. In their day many of these myths were probably derided for being childish wastes of time. It is not until after the fact that one can really place something's importance in the greater human "canon."

You're both being smarmy cunts though.
>>
>>83841543
Anon, you're speaking out of ignorance too. You're literally basing your assertions about the nature of Greek culture on nothing. This is hard for secular minds to understand, but the Greeks genuinely lived by a spiritual Tradition aligned with the Olympians and their Mythology has religious significance. It isn't just some childish thing. Greek culture revolved around philosophers and poets, who all practiced in Mystery religion.
>>
>>83841683
You don't seem to realize that the surviving myths were recorded long after the originals were first recanted. I never said that the myths weren't important to Greek culture, quite the opposite actually.

I suggest you work on your condescending attitude my friend. It will not get you far, especially without formal study.
>>
>>83832249
They're gayer than that. Like assfucking 13 year old boys gay.

>>83835846
The Dunning Kreuger effect. We have documentation of the old Pompei equivalent of shitposting.
>>
>>83841683

>DISCIPLE: I wonder what then would you say, if you knew another of Socrates' contrivances?

>STREPSIADES: What is it? Pray tell me.

>DISCIPLE: Chaerephon of the deme of Sphettia asked him whether he thought a gnat buzzed through its proboscis or through its anus.

>STREPSIADES: And what did he say about the gnat?

>DISCIPLE: He said that the gut of the gnat was narrow, and that, in passing through this tiny passage, the air is driven with force towards the breech; then after this slender channel, it encountered the rump, which was distended like a trumpet, and there it resounded sonorously.

>STREPSIADES: So the arse of a gnat is a trumpet. Oh! what a splendid arsevation! Thrice happy Socrates! It would not be difficult to succeed in a law-suit, knowing so much about a gnat's guts!

-- Aristophanes, The Clouds
>>
>>83836715
I'm stealing this, thanks.
>>
>>83832338
Wasn't that just a meme going around that said the Spartans were gay
>>
>>83842125
>They're gayer than that. Like assfucking 13 year old boys gay.

>assertin your superiority as the alpha male and fucking a boy
>gay

No wonder the west is falling
>>
>>83842125
>>83842235
The existence of humorous or absurd writings does not invalidate the writings that were held with a religious significance. It's a false equivalence to claim that their cultural expression was alike to ours in anything other than the most exterior similarities.
>>
>>83837402
Mad gains for the glory of The Lord, brah.
>>
>>83832437
Why peanus so tiny though?
>>
>>83842356
>meme

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_Band_of_Thebes?wprov=sfla1
>>
>>83842016
There are a great deal of scholars and poets who lived in times where these myths were well preserved wrote extensively about them, and their writings are well preserved to now. It was never just one culture that decided to translate and preserve these writings through out all of human history.
>>
>>83841157
Did Giffen and DeMatteis complain when they had to create JL without Clark, Diana, Hal and Barry? For fuck's sake, they had Batman on team only because O'Neil felt sorry for them. What a whiny cuck.
>>
>>83842508
>Barry
Wally, even. Barry was Crisis'd.
>>
>>83833612
How can you say they're not vapid? There are only 3 Greek myths

>that time Zeus raped something and Hera got mad
>that time one of zeus's rape babies was awesome in spite of Hera, and he beat up all the gays and had all the sex
>batshit nuts fuckery

Don't forget th Greeks were the first people to be like "fuck, the gods are dumb pricks, they really aren't worth praying too are they?"
>>
File: image.jpg (214 KB, 1223x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
214 KB, 1223x640
Mirk Jones is GAYLORD.
>>
>>83843410
>"fuck, the gods are dumb pricks, they really aren't worth praying too are they?"

Illiad in a nutshell.
>>
>>83843410
>>83843704
The Mystery religions of the ancient Greeks are not really comparable to what you understand as religion in the modern world. There is nothing in either the Iliad or the Odyssey that would suggest they thought ill of their Gods
>>
>>83842411
masculine confidence and feminine contentment propaganda
>>
>>83843410
Okay, "batshit nuts fuckery" is a cop out and could cover literally anything.
>>
>>83844907
>could cover literally anything.
Could it cover a story where a man is thirsty and he finds a spring and drinks from it and his thirst is quenched?
>>
>>83842411
Most common opinion is that it's shrinkage. David is shown right before the fight and has a worried, scared look on his face and his dingus has shrunk.
>>
>>83845664
>has a worried, scared look on his face
He looks completely devoid on any expression. If anything, he looks bored.
>>
>>83843813
Have you read the Illiad? the whole point is the juxtaposition between the foolish courage of men and the fickle pettiness of the gods
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.