[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In your opinion how long do cartoons stay funny? Are the oldest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: Popeye.png (117 KB, 402x420) Image search: [Google]
Popeye.png
117 KB, 402x420
In your opinion how long do cartoons stay funny? Are the oldest Looney Tunes, Popeye, Disney etc still funny by today's standards? What about in 100 years? What about cartoons today in, say, 50 years?
>>
Outdated
>>
>>83726812
I don't know but when i watch that Betty Boop cartoon i find that very cool at 3:30 to the end https://youtu.be/ZjJRbMIuF5g?t=3m30s

and it's very """""dated""" but i don't care.
>>
>>83727192
Could you elaborate?
>>
>>83726812

1930s slapstick physical humor (esp. Disney, Popeye) still funny. 1930s verbal humor (esp. Looney Tunes) still kinda funny but a lot of it falls flat.

1930s adventure cartoons (e. g. Mickey Mouse) aren't exactly funny, but they're great as long as they move fast. When they're slow, they're murder.

From about World War II onward the verbal humor in cartoons is still pretty sharp and funny today. Any mature Bugs or Daffy cartoon is usually really good.

1940s and 50s slapstick physical humor (e. g. Tom and Jerry) is good as long as the budget is high, when they start to go Cinemascope and look cheap they lose me.

Old-time "cute" cartoons, usually about animals fighting and making up, exemplified by Pluto and Betty Boop's dog, are really boring.
>>
>>83726812
>What about cartoons today in, say, 50 years?
I feel that Steven Universe & Rick and Morty are two groundbreaking cartoons that will go down in history as two of the greatest animated series on television.

t. /co/
>>
>>83728641
what about 1920's and even 1910's stuff? that's very primitive i know.
>>
>>83727393
Fuck, her head is horrifying
>>
File: 1336115670244.gif (343 KB, 326x400) Image search: [Google]
1336115670244.gif
343 KB, 326x400
>>83726812
if it's pop-culture references, it gets unfunny as soon as the reference isn't popular anymore

if it's situational or character humor, it's basically timeless

Popeye's snarky comments and Bluto's grunting and WHYYY'ing never get old
>>
>>83728728
That just means people in the future will have the same lack of taste as you do.
>>
>>83728973
>if it's pop-culture references, it gets unfunny as soon as the reference isn't popular anymore
Not necessarily.
The Dover Boys is a classic to this day, and nobody even remembers what it was parodying.
>>
>>83729123
because it's got the situational/character humor

>a runabout...
>I'LL STEAL IT! NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!
>>
>>83728843
>>83728843
>MUH THE HEAD MUH THE HEAD MUH THE HEAD REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Her head is not more horrifying than animes girls, also she's very cute on this short.
>>
You know which cartoons are going to age like shit? The ones that mistake pop culture references for humor. Go watch any Family Guy episode from before 2012. See how good the references hold up.
>>
>>83729616
Literally almost all episodes of family guy have this kind of shitty stuff.

with celebrities jokes (something not really very famous or important people) and 80's live tv shows references who everyones forgotten.

this shit don't make me laugh and i don't think that make laugh future generations.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.