[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me /co/ what do you consider a good fight? what are the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: kuvira vs suyin.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
kuvira vs suyin.webm
3 MB, 640x360
Tell me /co/ what do you consider a good fight? what are the necessary aspects in animation or anything else that are needed?
>>
>>83700310
Sword of the Stranger is the gold standard for East and West.
>>
Context to the story being told, clear and coherent action, characters acting in ways that make sense for those characters at that point in the story, characters who can be hurt actually appearing to be hurt, and the overcoming of an obstacle with no fucking deus ex machinas in sight.
>>
>>83700310
The best fights are the ones were one side is trying to block or protect something.

The most boring ones are where the two sides are trying to defeat the other.
>>
>>83700561
Something or someone? because to be honest it gets quite boring for me when they're just fighting to defend someone
>>
>>83700540
>Context to the story being told
That's dumb.
>>
>>83700561
>The most boring ones are where the two sides are trying to defeat the other

I'd say that depends on who's fighting. When it's mostly a battle of wits when both parties have unique abilities to each other that aren't necessarily weaker than each other is when it's the best. That's why jojo's battles are loved.
>>
>>83700310
It's great to have context to a fight but I can admire fights on technical merits alone. Personally I like fights with a good display of martial arts and the movements have believable weight and are generally readable. I'm not necessarily looking for strict realism, it just needs to look aesthetically pleasing and cool.
>>
>>83700310
The only good fights in Korra involve Earth/Metalbending.

Actually, you could extend that to Avatar too.
>>
>>83700310
I'd say contact, what I despite the most from some action movies is that the punches doesn't have any sort of impact, most of the time they will just change the scene just as the person is being hit
>>
>>83701609

Uh, Zuko and Azula?
>>
Suyin fightes like Aang in this fight, just noticed that.
>>
>>83701609
I'd like to disagree
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SASEatPebx8
this was the best fight by far in all the last airbender, the music, the colors the tension between the characters and of course the choreography was the best
>>
>>83701609
Korra's first fight with the Equalists is one of the best in the series and that had firebending and close range combat.
>>
>>83701609
>Actually, you could extend that to Avatar too.

I disagree.

The Zuko/Azula fight obviously, the Katara/Pakku fight, Azula/Aang fight on the drill are a few examples of good non-Earthbending fights.
>>
>>83701729
what do you mean?
>>
File: 1461891840374.jpg (273 KB, 800x1080) Image search: [Google]
1461891840374.jpg
273 KB, 800x1080
>>83700310
Well I think a major problem is that at times the animators don't really have a good understanding of how dynamic movement works when drawing it.

Like they have the way they envision the fight going down in their head, but the actual execution feels weightless.

I'm not exactly sure of the exact reason why, but I feel like pic related might be somewhat related to it.
>>
>>83702276

When you're trying to make human characters that look realistic, you can't have them doing exaggerated actions like that or everything looks stupid. It works for more cartoonish fare like Steven Universe or something with a less "realistic" take on human bodies and such. Something like Avatar/Korra? Not so much.

That said: there's something to be said for at least some exaggeration in action poses/animation when dealing with "realistic" bodies, and lots of animation feels stiff because it doesn't exaggerate nearly as much as it should.
>>
Meaningful context, good choreography and hits that actually matter.

I remember DBZ was the hypest shit when I was younger, but watching it now it feels kind of flaccid and meaningless. You're basically having the entire cast throw themselves impotently at a villain until Goku and the other Saiyans can get the powerup of the arc going.

But on the inverse side, my appreciation for the heavy slugfests between Superman and Darkseid in the DCAU have only grown over time.
>>
>>83700310
Weight
>>
>>83701609
>(you) bait the post
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.