[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How historically accurate is The Prince of Egypt?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 10
File: the-prince-of-egypt.jpg (393 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
the-prince-of-egypt.jpg
393 KB, 1920x1080
How historically accurate is The Prince of Egypt?
>>
>>83693073

Egyptians never had jew slaves
>>
>>83693408
>There won't ever be an Egyptian related thread without someone posting that stupid meme anymore
Thanks /pol/
>>
>>83693073
There are no archeological evidence to show that Egypt ever had Jewish slaves.
>>
Their is no proof and never will be that god had a hand in the jewish rebellion. He is a fabrication made up by that facist bitch moses to keep his feeble minded followers inline through fear.
>>
>>83693073
>Pentateuch
>historically accurate

choose only one anon
>>
>>83694028
I always wondered why Jews gave themselves the fantasy-past of being slaves in Egypt, when most societies give themselves a false but glorious past as national myth.
>>
>>83693073
>Moses I want you to let free my people
>But not before I harden the pharaohs heart and punish his subjects even though they didnt do anything
>>
>>83694189
The whole "God's chosen people" is pretty glorious tho.
>>
>>83694189
Most supported hypothesis is that during the exile in Assyria (which actually did happen, Hebrews were conquered by Assyria, whole population displaced and forced into indentured servitude) they made up the story as a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy, so that they'd escape Assyria and return home as well.
>>
File: 8363_044.jpg (33 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
8363_044.jpg
33 KB, 320x240
All sorts of fucked up shit. Egyptians didn't have chariots for starters. (That was the Romans.)
>>
>>83694189
For hundreds of years Judah was routinely conquered or dominated by a succession of empires, Assyrians, Babylonians, Persians, Greeks- etc. "We got out of it then, we'll get out of it now" is a compelling origin story under those circumstances considering the bulk of the Jewish Bible was believed to be written during those times. They are only unique in that their texts were saved from those times, other conquered societies aren't so lucky. History usually is written by the winners (I.E. the conquering empires).
>>
>>83693073
According to the Bible (the most accurate and honest account of history ever recorded), pretty close. There are some inaccuracies due to translation, and of course some drama added in to make it more entertaining.
>>
>>83693408
Egyptians were Nilotic, they had far lighter, more reddish skin than the neighbouring Nubians.
>>
>>83694189
there's a bunch of possibilities regarding how the jews came to be

Egypt did conquer israel, more than once. Jews could have made a legend of it and Moses

Jews could have been a nomadic tribe that immigrated to canaan

Or something completely different

There's also the possibility of it being a metaphor of Canaan / Judea not remaining under the hands of a given conqueror for long like other anons said

>>83694329
Don't you mean Babylon?
>>
>>83694423
Umm, no. The Egyptians adopted chariots after the Hyksos invasions in 1650 BC. The Romans only really used chariots for racing and looking cool, not for war.
>>
There is no historical evidence that can prove Martin Short and Steve Martin sang a stupid song about the gods
>>
File: 1461101042753.gif (1 MB, 386x286) Image search: [Google]
1461101042753.gif
1 MB, 386x286
>>83693073

0%
>>
>>83694189

One of the hypothesis that historians have come up with is that the Israelites were a client tribe of Egypt, taken from Palestine during its conquest by the Egyptians and settled in the frontier to guard against barbarians and other enemies of the kingdom as was common practice with Egyptian state policy. But as border threats waned the Egyptians wanted to use the Israelites as laborers in civic projects, but the latter simply weren't having any of it and left at the first opportunity.
>>
>>83694664
You're right, they sang a fantastic song
>>
File: Massimo-DAlema.jpg (20 KB, 450x322) Image search: [Google]
Massimo-DAlema.jpg
20 KB, 450x322
>>83694702
>Invincibro
>>
>>83694189
I was under the impression that the Jews were under a vassal state of sorts, a position which they greatly resented.
>>
>>83693073
The only accuracy I've seen is that there may indeed have been a lot of sand in Egypt at the time. Also some large buildings.

Other than that all teh bible stuff is wibbly at best.
>>
>>83694993
yes, my dear lad?
>>
how accurate is a movie full of magic

fuck man i don't know

maybe some guy really did split a river in half that sounds like a sensible real world event not rooted in fantasy
>>
File: .png (52 KB, 368x300) Image search: [Google]
.png
52 KB, 368x300
>>83695258
I meant in terms of their clothing / technology / general regional politics you fucking queen.
>>
>historically accurate
>Bible
I hate to tell you, mate, but...
>>
File: 1443297636788.jpg (23 KB, 357x312) Image search: [Google]
1443297636788.jpg
23 KB, 357x312
>>83694423
And I thought /his/ was full of ignorant retards.
>>
Not very. Talking burning bushes weren't imported into Egypt until 712AD.
>>
>>83694189
The point was to transform a succession of defeats into divine trials of faith.
You know the "If bad things happen to you, it's because you don't have enough faith, pray harder!" trick, except applied to a whole country.
>>
>>83693073
>All those houses
>4 generations earlier there were about 20 Isrealites. In total in the world.
>In a desert nation reliant on a single river for food
No wonder the Old Pharaoh was shitting himself about how fast their population was growing.
>>
Well it's based on the Old Testament, so I'd say at least half of it isn't.
>>
>>83693152
also slaves didn't build the pyramids
>>
>>83696705
To be fair, that single river was the nile. Egypt never developed advanced agriculture, they didn't need to, just drop fist fulls of seeds on the muddy bank once a year and you have enough food to feed a city. It's even self cleaning and re nourishing thanks to the predictable, annual flooding.
>>
>>83696740
Well yes and no, obviously it took an army of skilled labourers to build, and skill usually needs to be paid for but there were probably slaves there doing donkey work. Of course if you must be a slave, it's probably better to be working on the kings vanity projects than in some limestone quarry owned by a foreign dickhead who is too cheap to feed you more than once per day.
>>
>>83696981
The unskilled workers were not slaves. They were corvee laborers at worst. Agricultural workers who had nowhere to go/nothing during the inundation of the Nile and worked on these vanity projects in exchange for food/board.
>>
>>83694189
One theory I've heard is that they were contracted for labor projects but for one reason or another left. Of course they rewrote their own history so it was a legitimate reason instead of them wanting more shekels
>>
>>83696981
Work for for food/board is slavery though, or at least serfdom. I suppose it comes down to how well they were treated, which has been lost to history.
>>
realer than real life
>>
>>83698052
>Work for for food/board is slavery though, or at least serfdom.
More like:
>I'm a fucking mud farmer when the Nile is low
>I'm so god damn hungry and I have no work to do
>Oh, the pharaoh is going to have a pyramid built over the next 20 years?
>Guess I know what I'm doing to eat for the rest of my life while I can't farm.
>>
File: 1358396624056.png (77 KB, 298x332) Image search: [Google]
1358396624056.png
77 KB, 298x332
>>83694244
For real though, every first born son had to bite it

Why?
>>
>>83698127
Because every Egyptian lost a brother that night, even Moses
>>
>>83695535
Damn anon I haven't seen a Quentin in a minute
>>
>>83693073
Well, you know how at the end of movies they have that "any similarities to real persons or events is purely coincidental" thing?

Yeah, that close.
>>
>>83698052
They were treated amicably enough that they had the freedom to hold protests, and quite often at that.
>>
>>83696740
it was WE melininin poeple who built the pyramids nah wha um sayin? we nubians built civilization and shieet!

WE WAZ KINGS!

oh ... and we didnt own slaves at all nuh, we melonin folk were just keeping non melonin folk around cuz WE WAZ TEACHERS and shieet!
>>
>>83696045
Died out almost immidiately afterward too.

People couldnt really grasp the whole 'dont water the burning bush' thing.
>>
> While artistic and historical license has been taken

Literally the second sentence of the movie
>>
File: realmoses.jpg (50 KB, 570x444) Image search: [Google]
realmoses.jpg
50 KB, 570x444
>>83693073
Why aren't any of the characters black?
>>
>>83698127
Punishment.
The whole thing started with the Egyptians killing all of the male Hebrew children. It's why Moses's mother put him in the basket and set him adrift in the Nile, to give him at least a chance of survival. Divine justice is seldom pleasant.
>>
Daily reminder that Pharaoh in the Bible is never named.

Daily reminder that the only reason we think it's Rameses II is because of one verse that says the Israelites built the cities of Rameses and Pithom.

Daily reminder that the city of Rameses was renamed from the original Avaris, occupied between 1783 to 1550 BC. Pithom was also occupied during that time.

Daily reminder that Merneptah, the son of Rameses II, was the pharaoh that conquered the Israelites as per the Merneptah stele. If Rameses II is Pharaoh of the Bible, why would the Israelites then go and say he was the one that they obliterated?

Daily reminder that Semites colonized the north of Egypt during the times that Pithom and Avaris were occupied.

Daily reminder that the New Chronology is the only chronology.
>>
>>83694028
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZPGdSTNsOk
I know it's an unreliable source, but I'm pretty sure a similar, if not the same mural was mentioned in a natgeo documenal some years ago
>>
>>83699028
Well, we WUZ actually teachers, most Greek philosophers had to travel to Egypt to learn most of their shit before they go on thinking up their own philosophies that Indians already thought up three thousand years before them.
>>
>>83700042

This

The Greeks stole so much shit from the Egyptians it's ridiculous. The Greeks were also relatively backwards and underdeveloped compared to their contemporaries.
>>
>>83700175
>>83700042
The Egyptians weren't Black, they were Arabic.
They didn't like the Nubians, who were closer related to modern Blacks.
>>
>>83698052
You're thinking like someone in the 21st century.

Getting paid in food and board for labor was fairly common when the pyramids were made (Giza pyramids were in the 2500's BC, many more pyramids predate those).

Money as a concept became a thing at the same time the Great Pyramids were built and that was the use of gold and silver and this was primarily for trading goods. Labor wasn't paid with money at this point in history, at least not in many places.
>>
>>83698052
>>83701613
More like someone from the 19th.

Blame America for its slave society anochronizing how slavery worked in antiquity.
>>
>>83694545
I can't tell if this is completely a joke or only kinda.
>>
WHAT YOU ARE SEEING NOW IS THE POWER OF GOD'S _______
>>
Funfact: the Prince of Egypt is banned in Egypt for depicting a Islamic Prophet.
>>
The majority of Egyptians were black the ones that weren't wasn't this many like the movie portrayed the story in this movie is convoluted and white washed to the brim with white fantasy. And here goes people at /co/ defending this period piece as "her der there were Caucasian influence in Egypt". Well news flash the Egyptian empire's influence spreaded all the way to the Nile do the vary least will have people of different shades of black. And again I don't expect the people in /co/ to understand as a lot of them don't know what white washing is.
>>
>>83703874
Stop falseflagging /pol/. It's really apparent here mane. Black nationalists don't talk like that, and the only ones that do so tend to be nazis pretending to be black nationalists.

Anyways, being a center of trade from all over the known world at the time, the Nile was multicultural, holding people of many different skin pigmentation, which Prince of Egypt faithfully represents. There are plenty of dark-skinned and black folk in Prince of Egypt.
>>
>>83700466
The term black is meant to put all blacks from different parts of Africa as one group so being African meant that your black and most Arabs are from Africa do your wrong
>>
>>83700466
They only didn't like them when they started to rival them. Otherwise they were pretty chill, using their people to help fight wars.

But then Nubia took over Egypt, and like the Egyptaboos they are, they ruled over the land, and were hated like every other foreign ruler.
>>
>>83704081
Arabs are primarily from the Middle East, which is equal parts Europe, Africa, and Asia, and from the very northern edge of Africa.
They are a distinct race and different from Blacks, Whites, or Asians.

>>83704134
They ruled for all of a century.
>>
>>83703599
Those bans are really more a formality than anything else, loads of VHS were still sold anyway.

I guess it didn't get a theatrical release either way.
>>
>>83704163
Being African is not having one ethnicity and pigmentation yes your right Arabs did come from the Middle East but again they congregate in certain parts of Africa hence why they have traces of African Dna making them of African descent later on
>>
File: 1447860227134.jpg (32 KB, 455x455) Image search: [Google]
1447860227134.jpg
32 KB, 455x455
>>83693073
>and then after leaving Egypt the Hebrews became the most violent and bloodthirsty army you can imagine, spreading around killing and destroying every single city/village they found because it was what God told them to do, even killing the nomads who rescued Moses from the desert and gave him a wife.
can you feel the love of God now?
>>
>>83700466
The Egyptians weren't Arabic. Egypt was only conquered by the Arabs centuries after the last Pharaoh.

>>83704163
So what? They were next door neighbors. Egypt in antiquity was as "Arabic" as it was Nubian.

And Arabs being seen as a distinct race from whites is something that only started to appear in the past two decades
>>
>>83704305
>even killing the nomads who rescued Moses
They never attacked Jethro and were willing to walk by groups without harming or pillaging anything, unless said group did something stupid or were one of the apostates marked for destruction.
>>
File: 1396661987159.png (706 KB, 740x599) Image search: [Google]
1396661987159.png
706 KB, 740x599
>>83694189
>derive from lesser semetic ancient societies
>literally call themselves "chosen"
>Abrahamic religions state that if you're a victim you're doing the right thing

Gee, it's a mystery.
>>
>>83704163
>different race from Europeans

Not since the Neolithic age, when early (ironically light skinned) Middle Eastern farmers mixed with dark skinned Europeans and Central Asians.
>>
>>83704803
sorry but they killed them. they had a different god and conversion wasn't an option
>>
>>83705066
>Mohammad looks the most human compared to the goblin pope and monster rabbi
>>
>>83699255
Because it's too historically accurate to entertain that particular fantasy.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.