[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is anyone else still pissed that they're incorporating watchmen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 165
Thread images: 15
File: image.jpg (250 KB, 1789x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
250 KB, 1789x900
Is anyone else still pissed that they're incorporating watchmen into the DCU with rebirth?
>>
>>83683809

I'd much rather wish Johns either used a character that's already in the DCU for it, or made up an OC for that purpose, but I think it's too early at this point to judge how the Watchmen universe is going to be used.
>>
>>83683809
I'm kinda mad, yeah. Granted, I'm done (for the most part) with non-imprint Big Two at the moment, so it's just adding insult to injury.
>>
>>83683809
Slightly. But i feel that the way the incorporated dr manhattan makes sense.
>>
>>83683809
Yes. My childhood is raped. Literally triggered harder than when One More Day happened.
>>
>>83683809
Nope.
>>
>>83683809
I don't have autism, so no.
>>
>>83683809

I'm pissed that nothing has happened after the first two weeks of Rebirth.

I have a hard time even calling this an event because all the comics are just going along the nu52 continuity, business as usual. I wanted nu52 to be smashed into pieces from issue one.
>>
>>83683809
More disappointed than pissed. At some point you get used to the Big 2's bullshit
>>
>>83683809
No more than when they incorporate my favorite Disney movie into Kingdom Hearts.
>>
>>83683809
ALAN MOORE'S GONNA FREAK!!!!
>>
i dont care im just going to drop DC aside from King and MAYBE priest
>>
>>83683809
No. I hope they kill them all off though. Watchmen is a shit book and deserves to get pissed on.
>>
File: 1413681948596.jpg (97 KB, 702x960) Image search: [Google]
1413681948596.jpg
97 KB, 702x960
>>83683809

I don't get why the fuck the button was buried under rocks in some random corner of the Batcave.
>>
>>83683809
I'm disappointed they're doing it for the wrong reasons. It'd be a great way to sap power from Moore's dark crystals and finally take down the wizard, but instead of being a vindictive retaliation for years of Moore telling them all to collectively fuck themselves, it's because they're reaching the bottom of the barrel even when Rebirth can be done great without it.

Regardless on your stance on capeshit, it would have been fun to see old arguments brought back. Instead it's because they're shitting the bed in their big event.
>>
>>83684066
Guess you need to learn to read comics cause they showed you.
>>
>>83684066
Did you read the comic? The button shot out of the speed force and stuck into the wall when Wally visited him.
>>
>>83684068
>it's because they're reaching the bottom of the barrel
Which does nothing but strengthen Moore.
>>
>>83684056
t. retard
>>
>>83683809
Its stupid,but i don't really give a shit.
>>
>>83684066
People speculated it was a small hint to help the reader understand what was going on

Then the comic turned and every other page turned out to be a "small" hint
So the conclusion is because the pin is iconic or whatever
>>
>>83684056
Morrison pls go and stay go.
>>
Im ok if its because
money.
If this is not the case
WTF.
>>
>>83683809
Why don't you Moorefags get as offended on Steve Ditko's behalf as you do on Moore's? Moore fucking STOLE those characters from Ditko and you don't even care. Ditko contributed more to the medium and had a million times more talent than Alan Moore ever could.
>>
>>83684386
t. Somebody who never actually read Watchman or Ditko's work
>>
File: guy14.jpg (23 KB, 307x362) Image search: [Google]
guy14.jpg
23 KB, 307x362
>>83683809

>havent read superhero comics in years
>havent been on 4chan in years
>decide to check /co/ out of nostalgia
>first thing I see is this shit

I'm glad I stopped reading DC/Marvel

How can they be this fucking retarded
>>
>>83684386
>Moore fucking around with OCs so that the real characters they were based on wouldn't be affected is the same as DC fucking around with Moore's precise characters
>>
>>83684386
>Moore fucking STOLE those characters from Ditko and you don't even care

That's not remotely true. Basing a character on another is not stealing a character.
>>
File: 1237906568192.jpg (91 KB, 362x420) Image search: [Google]
1237906568192.jpg
91 KB, 362x420
After Watchmen was already incredibly retarded

Why they fuck are they doing this? Do they really think there are more worthy stories to be told with these characters? This shit is like making a Great Gatsby 2.

Stop doing this DC
>>
>>83684386
He doesn't own those characters, DC does. Sounds like DC robbed both of them.
>>
>>83684818
I always had an idea to turn the great gatsby into a trilogy, after he is shot by George gatsby is frozen cryogenically by his good friend from rich circles, Walt Disney, he is thawed out out in the 3020's alongside Disney, Gatsby and Disney explore the dystopia 3020's samurai jack style in the sequel "The greater Gatsby", where using their nihilistic and narcissistic know how, create a new 1920's golden age in the future, the end would be Disney being murdered by a gang of occupy Wall Street style mutants in an attack that leave gatsby injured beyond repair, in the third install,ent "The greatest Gatsby" he will be given a robot body by a futuristic mechanic who turns out to be the descendant of George Wilson, they learn the villain is the descendant of Tom Buchanan, the mechanic builds a sex robot for gatsby with the consciousness of daisy, so he can finally live out his dream. Together they attempt to prevent the subsequent economic crash of 3030, which will be caused by the mutant horde let by General zom Buchanan, and create the American Dream - IN THE FUTURE!!!! (80's synth noises.).
>>
>>83683809
I believe johns is to stupid ti handle the characters. The guy doesnt have the skill to tell a good story anymore
>>
>>83683809
when and where is this arc going to unfold? Will there be a rebirth 2? Justice League rebirth maybe?
>>
>>83683809
wait until you hear what they're announcing at SDCC this year

you'll shit yourself with rage or delight, but you will shit yourself
>>
>>83683809
I'm a huge Watchmen fan and I laughed out loud when I saw that page, I think it's a really funny idea. If you have to have an all-seeing, reality-altering character in the universe, Dr Manhattan is a nice choice. It works on a meta-level and could work on a story-level too.
Not sure about including any of the other characters, but frankly you don't really need them.
>>
>>83683809
Not ready the way I look at it is that its better then what marvels bringing out for the tumblrs cunts.
>>
>>83684386
>>83684826

Yeah, DC's contracts have been watertight ever since they found out the shit you write on the back of a check doesn't stand up in court (thanks to Siegel, Shuster, Kane, Finger and so on).

By contrast, when Moore was told who had actually owned Marvelman/Miracleman all along, he happily signed over any revenues from his own work with the character to the creator/owner, Mick Anglo. This was a couple of years before Anglo died, and about five years before his wife died, so it wasn't really life-changing, but it's a fine gesture.

Turns out that Anglo's contracts with L. Miller & Son ltd reverted the rights to him after they stopped printing, but nobody ever checked up on that, so the rights were sold on to various people who also didn't check, and who then in turn hired Moore, Gaiman, and others to work on producing new stories. Gaiman discovered by accident that Anglo owned the rights while researching his own case against the supposed owner, Todd McFarlane, who was at that time claiming that characters created in an Image (creator-owned) comic were owned by Image/McFarlane and not the creator of the characters. Which was wrong, as it turns out.

Ironically, if it weren't for DC (and Marvel, and a lot of other publishers who've mostly gone to the wall) having such tight contracts, McFarlane would never have started Image, Gaiman would never have been able to argue over the characters he created there, and Mick Anglo would never have got paid because Moore would have never agreed to sell his part of the rights on.
>>
BUT DUDES, METATEXT LMAO
>>
Watchmen was meta, it's characters are analogs of superheroes we know and love. Shoehorning them into the DCU and having them coexist with the characters they're satirising makes no sense. Alan Moore is turning in his grave, or at least he will, when he dies.
>>
It's nowhere near as canon-bed-shittingly stupid as three Jokers.
But yeah, I don't really care for it in concept. We'll see about execution.
>>
>>83686613
Care to elaborate on that?
>>
I've wanted it to be a part of the D.C. multiverse for a while now. I understand peoples' concerns, though. The companies aren't good with cross-overs much of the time.
>>
>>83683809
>getting actually pissed because of a superhero comic

You must be a man child with man titties
>>
>>83683809
I really like Watchmen. But this doesn't destroy the Watchmen by any means, it will just be another rendition of them with the old Watchmen still existing just fine. There are several renditions of Superman and other characters that I outright dislike but it doesn't stop me from loving Superman nor does it ruin my enjoyment of all of them.
Besides, I honestly believe that it is an interesting opportunity for Watchmen and main DC to complement eachother for better or worse. I am almost certain I'll see things I'll dislike or even outright disapprove of, but I also figure I'll see several things involving them I'll genuinely find interesting. And I repeat, it's not like they're ruining Watchmen or anything. It's not like they'll start to print new Watchmen ongoings and run the damn thing to the ground to the point where it has no soul left. It is but yet another multiversity crossover like the many others before this one.
>>
>>83683809

No, I'm too jaded by all the sacrilege that's come before.

I am a total Moore fanboy. But I can't care. Before Watchmen didn't ruin the original for me, fuck, the movie didn't either.

We don't even know to what extent they will be included. It might just be Manhattan.

It's not going to matter anyways, much less before anything comes out.

You know what I give a fuck about more than that?, they got rid of the toilet logo. I'm so hyped about that.
>>
>>83683901
>I have a hard time even calling this an event

its not an event
>>
>>83683809
>there are people who actually care if one set of imaginary characters exist in the same universe as another set of imaginary characters
kek
>>
>>83686855
>implying Moore won't dig a grave in his backyard and proceed to turn in it
>>
>>83684386
probably in Titans Hunt
>>
>>83683809
Yeah
putting some unknown comic book like watchmen that only turbogeeks will know and care with an iconic superhero like batman is sacrilege
>>
>>83683809
I'll do the creazy thing and fucking wait to see HOW they're incorporated before throwing a tantrum.
>>
>>83687947
>Watchmen

>An unknown comic

What the fuck it's like the most mainstream graphic novel of all time.
>>
>>83684497

Don't believe you, faggot.
>>
>>83687947
That bait would work if Batman fans werent the more pissed fandom about rebirth
>>
>>83688043

First: The Dark Knight Returns

Second: don't take the bait.
>>
The only thing that will make this worthwhile is if
A) The local multiverse of 52 universes is just one of an infinite number, bringing back Hypertime to explain why The Watchmen are able to fuck with the DCU
B) The writers make an honest attempt at undoing the mandatory grimdark writting that writers felt they had to do after Watchmen by bringing lightheartedNess and comedy back into DC.
>>
>>83686613
Can you elaborate? I want to shit my pants, either with rage or with excitement, either will suffice.
>>
>>83687947
>unknown comic book like watchmen that only turbogeeks will know

Yeah, I'm sure nobody has heard of the comic that's been DC's best selling trade for like 30 years straight
>>
>>83688043
SARCARM
A
R
C
A
S
M
>>
>>83688080
Trust me if I asked my non-comic reading, joss whedon worshipping, myth busters watching Reddit pseudogeek friends about eith, they'd only know watchmen.
>>
>>83688081
>the mandatory grimdark writting

There were never such thing.
>>
>>83687511

Then what the fuck is it? A marketing stunt?
>>
>>83688081
Are you implying that lighthearted adventures and comedy ever left the DCU?
>>
>>83687371
>it will just be another rendition of them with the old Watchmen still existing just fine

That's not how Johns work.
>>
>>83688135
Who the fuck is Sarcarm? Some new edgy image comics reject or something?
>>
>>83684587
>>83684691
The whole project started as Moore wanting to take some old superheroes and fuck with them, he only got talked down to expies because DC didn't want to waste up the Charlton characters on him.
>>
It doesn't retroactively ruin Watchmen so what's the big deal. If it's shit it's shit.
>>
>>83688215
This is true.
>>
>>83688200
That's how it'll inevitably will work unless they start printing new Watchmen regulars and then just keeps doing them. And that's hardly happening.
>>
>>83683809
If it's just doctor Manhattan, I'm fine with it considering he is a reality defying astral being at this point, and him travelling to another universe makes sense.

If they bring the rest in and resurrect Rorschach and the comedian, I'll be pissed.
>>
Please keep capefaggotry out of Watchmen
>>
>>83688215
>The whole project started as Moore wanting to take some old superheroes and fuck with them

True, however it's still false to say he stole anything. He asked for the keys to those characters, and when he wasn't given them, he created his own versions that are radically different and frankly better.
>>
>>83688215
Yeah, but that was a pitch, do we know how much the story changed since he imagined it with Charlton characters? After all for example Watchmen shows a lot of the characters' origins and backstories, did Moore plan to re-write the Charlton's origins so they could fit his story?

And this still doesn't change what's happening right now, you'd be blaming Moore for something that in the end never happened
>>
>>83688364
I'm saying that playing with other peoples characters is one of Alan Moore's favorite things. Acting like his stuff is sacred is just hypocritical bullshit.
>>
>>83688169

Yes and also just a general editorial shift for certain titles that signals they're going to start folding in some pre-New 52 stuff back in.
>>
File: 1464515916788.png (109 KB, 532x451) Image search: [Google]
1464515916788.png
109 KB, 532x451
>>83683809
>When we're being watched just right
>>
File: 1464658445965.jpg (158 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
1464658445965.jpg
158 KB, 450x450
>>83683809
>>
My big problem with Rebirth is that it is not a full return to the old universe but an even more confusing thing they really haven't explained yet. I don't care if it was Manhattan or Darkseid that did it the story is dumb.
>>
>>83688418

Be that as it may, the original claim of
>Moore fucking STOLE those characters from Ditko and you don't even care
is objectively false.
>>
>>83688575
Different anon than that anon, sorry mate
>>
>newfags who haven't been through similar shit before
Kevin Smith wrote a comic where Batman shit his pants during Year One. It's technically still canon that Gwen got knocked up by Osborne. The Killing Joke, which definitely wasn't meant to be made canon, has become a cornerstone of canon. Watchmen itself already had prequels we shit all over when they came out.

People are going to write shitty stories or shove things into continuity that are stupid. That's just reading DC/Marvel. If you're so autistic you can't just ignore bad writing then you probably should find another hobby.
>>
>>83688571

This, also it's happening way too slowly.

Like, I wanted the whole Nu52 universe to explode at the end of the Rebirth one-shot, and then they'd spend the next few weeks explaining how it happened and reintroducing the old, good status quo. Instead they're slowrolling it. I don't have fucking patience to wait for them to get around to removing the cancer that's killing DC, it should have been done yesterday.
>>
File: questions.jpg (156 KB, 508x822) Image search: [Google]
questions.jpg
156 KB, 508x822
Watchmen isn't going to cease to exist because someone fucked around with the characters. Before Watchmen didn't ruin it and this certainly won't.

I do really wonder where they're going with this, though. Is it supposed to be some sort of statement about capes being unable to escape the shadow that Watchmen cast over the genre?
>>
>>83688606

Then why are you even responding you fucking faggot, when this string of responses has been directly about refuting that one bullshit claim? It doesn't concern you.
>>
>>83688418
But we know Moore is very respectful of the characters he's handled. LoEG was about obscure, old, public domain characters so even if the work was "insulting" to their legacy no harm was given, MiracleMan we know Moore felt sorry once he realized the original creator was still alive and kicking when he wrote it so he decided to give up all the rights he had on the books and donate all the earnings to the creator's family... what else is there to mention, the Twilight pitch? In his mind it was meant to be an epic Ragnarok-like ending for the DC superheroes, if that's fucking around with others' characters then so is Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow

I still stand my point, whatever Moore did in his career is not the same as what DC is doing right now. And no, i'm not that mad and i know this kind of bullshit is daily bread for long-time comics readers, i'm just discussing shit
>>
>>83688632

this guy knows. if you get caught up in the continuity of all the stupid shit that gets put out over the years there's no way to enjoy comic books. just enjoy the good stuff when it comes out and decide what "counts" for yourself
>>
>>83688571
>>83688633
You were expecting things that had no chance of happening. It's like expecting DC to go back to pre-Crisis a few years after CoIE.
>>
>>83688651
>I do really wonder where they're going with this, though

Just looking for one last taboo to break to make a quick buck.

We all know DC being shit isn't Moore's fault. Moore hasn't done anything DC-related in decades and has been actively telling them to fuck off from his lawn. The actual culprits are DC's shortsighted idiot editors, but they're not the villains of the comic.
>>
>>83688633

Uhh yeah that's never gonna happen pal.
>>
>>83688571

Story > Continuity.

This is just another extension of that philosophy

>>83688633

This is a legitimate complaint though, but if they just rolled out all the actual #1's with no intro, then you'd have people reading Wondy or Batman wondering what the fuck is going on with the changes ans bitching regardless.

Still, is frustrating to have Batman and Flash talking in the batcave, going "Yeah there's some big shit going down.... but we don't know anything about it so let's just wait for it to happen."

On one hand it's interesting to rediscover all these reemerging parts of the DCU alongside the characters themselves, but on the other hand it's frustrating to have that unravelling paced out slowly.
>>
>>83688651

According to Johns, yes, but Johns is pretty bad about the "characters as metaphors" layered narratives that other writers do.
>>
>>83688683
>But we know Moore is very respectful of the characters he's handled.
Hahhahaha holy shit Moorefags
Antichrist Harry Potter and sex object Alice in wonderland are sooooooo respectful
>>
>>83685601
This is exactly why this is a great idea.
You niggas need to chill with your sacred cow shit.
>>
>>83688862
I have a feeling he takes a lot of his ideas from hanging out with Morrison, not that that's a bad thing.
>>
>>83688950
>What is satire

Let me guess, Moore 100% unironically meant it when he made Clark say that Superman was stupid?
>>
>>83688683
>But we know Moore is very respectful of the characters he's handled

That's not strictly speaking true. I was reading articles on Moore's early days and more than once a thing happened where he was handed some existing property, and the very first thing he wrote in them was something that deleted everything in that universe so that he could do whatever he wants. One of these was Miracleman/Marvelman, where he made it so that all Marvelman comics that existed before his run were a hypnotic dream. In another one (I forget which comic) he just straight blew up the universe and had some different characters from alternate universe take over the comic permanently.
>>
>>83689010
>if it'snot respectful it's satire!
>Holy shit Alan your cock feels so good!
Are you kidding me? Lost Girls is satire? Claing that Harry Potter destroyed modern literature is satire?
Fuck off Moorefag
>>
>>83689068
>I read an article about Miracleman to discover this rather than just fucking reading Miracleman
Disgusting
>>
>>83689094
Then what are you trying to say faggot, Moore hated fucking Alice in Wonderland and wanted to insult the book?

>Claing that Harry Potter destroyed modern literature is satire?
Did he ever say that? Post a source, because to me not-Harry being the Antichrist was a parody of how christian fundies claimed the HP series was satanistic and that it was teaching black magic to kids
>>
>>83688986

Oh no they're totally on the same page when it comes to treating the DCU as a living, evolving organism and like to revive older concepts and characters for new use within the universe, but Johns has always been better at the characters alone rather than trying to fold the characters AND concepts in together.
>>
>>83688325
watchmen is the quintessential examination of capefaggotry
>>
>>83686490
nobody knows
>>
>>83686763
>Anglo owning rights
all he did was do shitty rip off of Captain Marvel when they lost the rights to the original
should've sued him really
>>
>>83686877
>canon-bed-shittingly stupid as three Jokers
comics being comics
>>
>>83688683
what
>>
>>83690302
Say what
>>
>>83683809
Not really no.
>>
>>83684826
DC bought Charlton though.

I think Ditka only really wanted Mr.A and he still has him
>>
>>83684068
>It'd be a great way to sap power from Moore's dark crystals and finally take down the wizard, but instead of being a vindictive retaliation for years of Moore telling them all to collectively fuck themselves

That's straight up what it is

>The bleak tone and ideas of “Watchmen” – particularly the notion that superheroes can be bad, or at least horribly flawed, people — seeped into and spread throughout the genre. “I do think what happened afterwards is that a lot of people tried to emulate the tone on every character,” says Johns.

The writer says he knew exactly how the “Rebirth” issue would end even before he wrote it. Dr. Manhattan gives Johns and the creative teams at DC a powerful antagonist — not a supervillain, Johns stresses — and the character gives the comic a metaphorical weight. It’s time for the universe, then, to confront the legacy of “Watchmen” the way “Watchmen,” three decades ago, confronted the legacy of superhero comics.

>“He took things away that are starting to come back,” Johns says of Dr. Manhattan. “I think that’s a compelling story to tell. Ultimately, what is the more powerful force, is it belief or disbelief?”
>>
>>83688081
That was done last year with multiversity and convergence
>>
>>83688187
After the start of the Event Age (Avengers Dissambled on forward), it feels like a lot of DC started to get overshadowed by overly grim writing.
>>
>>83690460
I REALLY want there to be a DC Exiles book.
>>
File: 1451868575090.png (600 KB, 714x726) Image search: [Google]
1451868575090.png
600 KB, 714x726
>>83690434
>and the character gives the comic a metaphorical weight. It’s time for the universe, then, to confront the legacy of “Watchmen” the way “Watchmen,” three decades ago, confronted the legacy of superhero comics.
>>
>>83683809
Too bad. I would have loved to see a completely new Universe that takes place years following the aftermath of the events of Watchmen. A new set of original heroes dealing with the prospect of "world peace" that was built on mass murder and lies. Missed opportunity.
>>
>>83690593
It does make sense. The only real argument against it is the supposed sanctity of a comic written by a guy who gets mad when his creations are used by the company they belong to, but has no problem with using characters he did not invent. Luckily that sanctity was never there and the only thing Moorefags can do is stay mad.
>>
File: 1462455743207.jpg (185 KB, 728x546) Image search: [Google]
1462455743207.jpg
185 KB, 728x546
>>83690711
Sure thing, buddy
>>
>>83686786
I suppose you were also mad when Alan Moore turned Harry Potter into the antichrist for LOEG.
>>
I think it could be pretty cool if Manhattan is the only returning character, and his presence is limited, with him affecting the events of the story but not personally showing up too often. More likely, though, they'll shoehorn in a bunch of Watchmen characters and have them team up with DC characters and it'll make no sense and suck.
>>
>>83690802

>>83689231
>>
Not at all, but then again, I'm not autistic. If it pisses you off don't read it and read the stuff you like. I'm still waiting to see if it's good or not.
>>
>>83683901
>I wanted nu52 to be smashed into pieces from issue one.

Do you not understand how frame work stories work? If they were to switch everything back to normal in the first issue it would be rushed and extremely shitty. The way to go about this is a gradual progression, which is what it seems like they're doing.
>>
>>83684826
DC didn't rob shit. DC owns both of those characters. When they hire an author, the author is hired to make characters for the company, not for themselves.
>>
>>83688337
Rorschach is not better than the Question, and Nite Owl is certainly not better than Blue Beetle.
>>
>>83683809
It's not even going to involve any of them except Dr.Manhatten himself. Rorsach is already dead, and really, would could Night Owl and the rest really do?
>>
>>83692320
Comedian being the Joker.
>>
>>83688337
>frankly better.

not really. a pschopath and a mid life crisis depressed guy is not better
>>
>>83683809
Not really, I don't think it's a good idea but I feel like by the end, it's going to turn out like them incorporating Wildstorm into DCU. A few character show up more than likely to poor reception or barely used and then ultimately forgotten about with focus shifting back to main DC characters.
>>
>>83692320
mr. oz = ozymandias?
question = rorschach???
>>
>>83692400
Pls no. Didn't The Question try being like Rorshach and get his ass kicked?
>>
>>83683809
Yes all DC, Watchmen, and Moore fans.

Marvelfags are laughing, and Snyderfags are loving it.
>>
>>83683809
No. I am all done being mad for Alan, and this was an inevitable move.
>>
>>83692427
That was the Vic Sage Question who is a separate person from the New 52 Question.
>>
File: 1465392358703.png (78 KB, 280x255) Image search: [Google]
1465392358703.png
78 KB, 280x255
I just picked up Rebirth #1 and it was still confusing as shit. How are there 3 Jokers? Is it goldenage joker, pre-new52 joker, and new 52 joker? So now there are two Wally's named Wally...but they're also cousins? Then where did the white wally go after Flashpoint? This is just all too confusing...
>>
File: 1358732754130.jpg (224 KB, 1325x312) Image search: [Google]
1358732754130.jpg
224 KB, 1325x312
>>
>>83690941
>The way to go about this is a gradual progression

Considering they're trying to move from "unreadable shit comics" to "readable good comics", I don't think taking things slowly is ideal.

But you know, fine. I can just not read DC for another year, and check next summer if they've reached the part where their universe isn't trash anymore.
>>
In the end it will be the giant psychic squid that's behind everything
>>
>>83692887
it's just the beginning. nobody knows yet.
>>
>>83692887
congratulations, you're now intrigued to buy the next comics
>>
>>83694286
Cringe
>>
>>83694286
Why didn't he know he was going to go time-blind in 1985 when he was first created?
Chekmate Atheists.
>>
hot shit, are they rebooting AGAIN? Jesus Christ, and they wonder why no one buys this shit. Maybe build up some good will instead of shitting the bed every four years
>>
File: QIWqRY.png (188 KB, 492x440) Image search: [Google]
QIWqRY.png
188 KB, 492x440
>>83694286
The only good part was him bein confused about secret identities.
>>
>>83690177
Who could possibly have sued him? Fawcett were out of comics because of DC's anti-Captain Marvel lawsuit, and L. Miller were publishing on the other side of the Atlantic where DC had no dog in the race. Besides which, his contracts were clear: he owned the character rights after his publisher went out of business.

But feel free to get all bitter about it.
>>
>>83701361
>bitter
not bitter, just pointing out the irony
>>
>>83683809

I don't get it, why bother with the Watchmen? They had their story, it had a beginning and an end. Why bring them in when you could actually create new characters?

I mean what the shit are they doing with the Comedian's badge, it makes zero sense out of the context of the original story.
>>
>>83683809
it has potential, but its more likely to fall flat on its face
>>
>>83692320

>implying they wouldn't just bring Rorschach back to life just cuz
>>
>>83683809
not pissed, annoyed though. dumbass gimmick
>>
>>83683809
Fuck Alan Moore. He's an old bitter cunt.
>>
File: 1465695787548s.jpg (2 KB, 125x112) Image search: [Google]
1465695787548s.jpg
2 KB, 125x112
>>83687459
Check out Superman: Rebirth. It shows Nightowl's vehicle landing on a rooftop.
>>
>>83699346
>and they wonder why no one buys this shit.

It was the best comic book of the month. Considerably above any other from the big 2.

Also nothing was catually rebooted and they have done like 2 reboots in 78 years.
>>
>>83687947
Nigga, I ain't even a fan and I know Watchmen is a huge book. You are just being a faggot.
>>
>>83705850
Best selling*
>>
>>83705917
It's bait you dumbass pleb
>>
>>83688364
He had an idea for a superhero murder mystery, and thought that maybe using stablished characters would lend his story the elegiac tone he was aiming for. Then he learned that DC had just bought the Charlton line and he went and called dibs on the characters because he figured they'd be a perfect fit for what he had in mind.

He wrote his proposal, sent it to the editors and they liked it but weren't sure about letting Moore fuck them over with the properties they'd just bought. Someone suggested he changed the characters because the story was good. Moore says that at first he thought about dropping the project, but then he realized that if he was clever enough he could make new characters and build an artificial backstory that lent a nostalgic weight to them, the same effect he wanted with the Charlton characters.
>>
>>83683809

I'm not really pissed because I'll never actually read it. I'm just waiting for Grant Morrison to come out with the next Wonder Woman: Earth One volume which happens in its own contained alternate universe.
>>
>>83690711
>>83690711
What? No. Watchmen is supposed to basically be "what if superheros (especially Batman) were real?" Just throwing them in with actual Batman is weird and it doesn't make sense to say they're "confronting the Watchmen" Ozy, Owl and Rorsch are pretty much three seperate sides of Batman made into their own characters. Putting them up against Batman is stupid and redundant.
>>
>>83705850
I meant comics in general. What a waste of an industry. And fuck you, they've had like a billion crises that no one read and have literally had two 52s. They just can't stop fucking up their own comics. The general public just wants fucking consistency and good characters, none of this cheap cash-grab crossover reboot retcon bullshit

Fuck, just pick a universe and stick with it
>>
>>83706730
>pleb
While I don't appreciate your reply, I do respect your help in identifying the statement.

Faggot.
>>
>>83707392
Exactly, best selling comic of the month in general. It was usually a crisis per year before the big crisis of 1985, it's been roughly 10 Multiverse spanning crossovers, and at least a couple of them were critiques of big event comics. Only one 52 was a reboot, the other one was a series like any other that is published.

>crossover reboot retcon

What are you even doing in /co/ if you can't tell the difference between those? Retcons tend to happen quietly in individual stories without most people noticing. Crossovers can be big or small depending on the story that is being told. Also taking away the multiverse for the sake of "concistency" was arguably one of the worse Ideas that DC ever had, it took away so much storytelling potential from the dc multiverse for decades.
>>
>>83707392
>and have literally had two 52s.
The fuck are you talking about
>>
It's kind of cool in theory, making the company's most noteworthy story play a bigger role in the universe at large, but it just adds on to a story better left alone.
I'm excited though.
>>
>>83708918
He's talking about either 52 and Countdown or 52 and nu52
>>
>>83711946
Those have no similarities outside of release schedule and the number 52
>>
>>83712525
Yup. Those ARE those similarities.
Thread replies: 165
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.