[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So why does /co/ have a hateboner for anime? I recently got back
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 640x360
So why does /co/ have a hateboner for anime? I recently got back into it an realized how lacking American animation has been. I'm not saying all animation from the west is bad (pic related takes the use of the medium to its absolute best) but what America specifically has on offer is extremely lacking. We don't really take advantage of the extra frames and a lot of shows here have the characters just standing and talking just as much as anime gets criticized for it. Could you shed some light of why people denounce animation if it comes from Jap'n
>>
I like anime but I don't really like the dialogue. Naturally this comes from translation issues and is something that is completely subjective on my end but I'd rather watch western animation because I find the dialogue more natural.
>>
Japanese animation sucks now because it's all CG instead of hand-drawn. You don't really feel the emotion in characters anymore like in 90s anime.
>>
Anime is mostly way too serious and dark for me with more of a consistent story. I watch anymation for shorter stories and comedy. And if it is a comedy show it's usually just le cute grills doing cute things, which is not my cup of tea either
>>
>>83670745
>Anime is mostly way too serious and dark for me with more of a consistent story. I watch anymation for shorter stories and comedy.

So you never actually tried watching good anime.
>>
>>83670746
Wew lad
>implying 95% of /a/ i not just waifu fights
>>
>LE Gumball is good on any level meme
>>
I just prefer the more simplistic style western animation has. I really like PSG and Osumatsu-San though. If anyone has any more western looking anime recommendations please share them with me.
>>
>>83670658
I actually like anime more especially with the current shit state we're in with cartoons right now where everything has to be a half assed comedy with half assed animation not all but a lot plus cause anime we got cool action shows even thou that time is over
>>
>>83670746
>Knowledge of anime here stops at stuff like Naruto and Digimon.

If you have dig deep to find content, then it's not a good genre. There's quite of share of good cartoons on television currently on mainstream television.

I understand the hatred of Naruto, but it's still a pretty decent story. I don't get when people treat it as the irate bad anime, when you have pure shit like Fairy Tail or Sword Art Online.
>>
>>83670883
>If you have dig deep to find content, then it's not a good genre.

1. >anime
>genre
2. If you think going past Naruto and Digimon is digging deep then you don't know what you're talking about
>>
>>83670791

I seriously hope you're not implying he should watch SoL jap shit.
>>
>>83670883
>If you have dig deep to find content, then it's not a good genre.
Sturgeon's law applies at every genre
>>
>>83670658
Why do people like Gumball again? All it does is use mainstream memes and reuses the same bland 90s tropes you seen thousands of times over.
>>
>>83670746
I'm an /a/ crossboarder who's in it for the animation, and this is the impression I got. I can go to /a/ and find anons discussing or willing to discuss any series dating back to Astroboy. I can find anons who have framed animation cells on the wall and anons who aspire to become animators themselves.
Sure, there are constant circlejerks on /a/, but there's a core userbase who know their shit. I've seen scant evidence of that on this board.

>>83670861
Anything by Gainax or Trigger, really. Google series names and see if the art style grabs you.
>>
>>83670930
He was not implying that. All SoL anime is just as bad, if not worse.
>>
>>83670930
Where did I imply that?
>>
>>83670981
Hey Aria is good.
>>
> /a/ makes a thread to pat itself on the back

i think we should all just move on, don't take the bait and they will go back to their board
>>
Gee god forbid some people not care about anime, anime is so kewl and every place should have it
>>
>>83671038
But OP asked good question, why do /co/ has big hateboner for anime? I never understood this.
>>
>>83671038
>Everything that triggers me is by people I don't like
>Nobody can have opinions or make threads that don't make my safe space comfortable for me
>>
>>83670658
I don't have a hateboner for anime, I really like anime. I just don't watch a lot of modern stuff.
>>
>>83671047
But this is 4chan you will see it anyway.
>>
>>83670883
anime is a medium to tell stories of various genres
that's like saying all comics are Dilbert
>>
File: 1420610483397.png (236 KB, 368x366) Image search: [Google]
1420610483397.png
236 KB, 368x366
>>83670658
>So why does /co/ have a hateboner for anime?
Because /co/ is full of casual knuckleheads who don't know shit about the things they claim to like or dislike.

What do I win?

>>83671120
Same.
>>
I really like anime, but I really hate anime fans so I try to make them angry.
>>
>>83670746
You just described /a/, anon.
>>
>>83671264
See>>83670951
>>
>>83670746
Anime is trash.
>>
>>83670927
What's there to go past to? It's all the same shit. If I named any other Shonen, you would reject it as "not deep enough". Personally that's just me trying trying to figure where the hatred of Naruto comes from, when there is legitimately worse anime out there.

Also I never even mentioned Digimon, I just quoted it because it was in the same sentence. I find it weird you would use this in example sine it hasn't been popular in western mainstream since the mid-2000s. Plus, it's a product placement anime, the point of it is to sell toys/card/game or whatever.

In the end, that's all anime is. Sure there are some gems, but most are cours/double cours used as selling pitches to get people interested in the manga. Cartoons for the most part don't come from comics.
>>
>>83671277
As someone has been in /a/ for ages, I can confirm that his analysis is bullshit. You only need to head over there now for 10 seconds to see that. It's extremely rare to have a proper discussion there or anywhere for that matter.
>>
>>83671444
Anon, what if I told you that Japan is arguably the largest producer of cartoons and comics in the world?
>>
>>83671038
They always do that. /a/ is pretty much just a raid board now. Very user is human garbage and deserves to be killed
>>
>>83670981
>>83671105

OP didn't ask a good question, if he wasn't an crossboarder fag he would know /co/ doesn't hate anime, there's toonami threads everyday, discussion about classic eastern pieces, this board likes all animation, what /co/ hates is /a/.

Why? Because you turboniggers are incapable of proccesing the idea that maybe somebody doesn't like your shit the same level you do and have the guts to try enforce your shit meems and elitism on a board that isn't yours and then cry and moan "IM BEING OPPRESSED" when people tell you to fuck off. Constantly making bait threads and generally shitting the board with your "east>west" crap. This is the board for comics and cartoons, can you discuss non-western stuff? sure, as long as you're not being a faggot about it, which /a/utists seem to be incapable of doing.
>>
File: Eh, I dunno.gif (2 MB, 316x213) Image search: [Google]
Eh, I dunno.gif
2 MB, 316x213
I like anime just as much as I like Western animation. I don't watch a lot of either though, so whatever.
On a somewhat related note, Jin-Roh and Redline are my fucking shit.
>>
>>83671454
Just a side question, does those fans action to do with Internet and anonymous status? Basically, people can do the shitposts and trivial discussions since there is almost no consequence.
>>
>>83671553

sorry, meant for >>83671105 and >>83671094 only
>>
>>83670658

Because it's been pretty habitual to start /a/ vs /co/ wars here whenever anime is mentioned due to everyone's astounding lack of knowledge or astonishing abundance of bias for one side or the other.
>>
>>83671553
Yeah we had like a week long thread on Metropolis this week.
>>
>>83671454
>I didn't read the post, but /a/ is bad.

How is glancing at the catalog for "ten seconds" supposed to confirm or deny that good discussions happen from time to time? I said there's a core base of knowledgeable people, not that they're responsible for most of the traffic.
>>
>>83670861
Kaiba.
>>
>>83671487
Ow the edge
>>
>>83670858
>>83670940
Niggers, Gumball is what is saving Western Animation. It's like you never watched the show. There are barely ever any memes or overused tropes. The humor is usually character and dialogue based. Funniest cartoon in the west since Spongebob.
>>
>>83671444
>What's there to go past to? It's all the same shit. If I named any other Shonen

How about a show that's not in the same genre? How about you actually google what is considered good anime? That's like saying every cartoon is spongebob because it's the longest and one of the most popular cartoons.
>>
>>83671553
Well i do agree with that but i dont think /co/ is any better at this point. Well back in day you could sometimes storytime something /co/ in /a/ and nobody really gave a shit and enjoyed but things chanced with whole /co/mblr thing.
>>
>>83671478
The thread is about quality of an anime, not the quantity of it's marketing.
Degenerate Nips and Weebs love the collection of harem/ecchi shonen/school comedy that comes out every season.
Even potentially great concepts in modern times like Fate and Grimgar have to suffer the same kind of marketing.

Once again, Manga>Old Anime>>>Modern Anime
>>
>>83671553
>OP didn't ask a good question

More like, he triggered me and I'm a newfag.
>>
>>83671845

We all know you are, anon.
>>
File: image.png (98 KB, 444x250) Image search: [Google]
image.png
98 KB, 444x250
>>83671737
>There are barely ever any memes
>>
>>83671844
But Kabaneri is most selling this season but everyone knows japs have shit taste.
>>
>>83671836

>Well i do agree with that but i dont think /co/ is any better at this point

it certainly has its own problems but is nowhere near as bad as /a/ and i would like it to stay that way

im saying we don't need the autism from another board here, we have our own
>>
>>83670658
Its less a hateboner for anime (although it is a bit that) and more a hatred for /a/utists.
>>
>>83671737
>The humor is usually character and dialogue based.

I'm pretty sure that's Regular Show you're talking about.
>>
>>83671996
I do agree that boards should have own autism and not force them to other boards.
>>
>>83671662
I don't remember stating that /a/ is "bad". I simply said that his statement was bullshit because it's not as good as he made it out to be. The fact is if you glance over to the catalog at random times you're most likely only find very few or none good discussions at all.

If you're going to get triggered simply because I didn't agree with you then you're part of the problem.
>>
>>83670658
Fans of Western animation who have a hateboner for anime are usually motivated by jealousy and nationalism, or at best they are just ignorant.

>>83670723
Anime is still hand-drawn, mostly on paper and sometimes on tablets. 3DCG is used to supplement the hand-drawn animation.

>>83670745
"Dark" anime is the exception, not the rule. Comedies and other lighthearted shows are very common. There are also tons of short comedy shows with episodes lasting only a few minutes.

>>83670883
You don't have to dig deep, you just have to dig deeper than 3-5 extremely well-known and quite old shows that have run on Western television.

>>83671433
Then so is everything else.

>>83671444
>What's there to go past to? It's all the same shit.
Every genre found in live action is also found in anime. There is anime for every demographic in many different styles about many different topics.

>Plus, it's a product placement anime, the point of it is to sell toys/card/game or whatever.
>most are cours/double cours used as selling pitches to get people interested in the manga
Which doesn't tell us anything about the quality of a show or what its creators were thinking.
>>
>>83671844
>Degenerate Nips and Weebs love the collection of harem/ecchi shonen/school comedy that comes out every season.
They also love other things besides those. Harem, ecchi, shounen and school comedy shows aren't even all the same thing. Sakamoto Desu ga and Anne Happy for example are both school comedies, but they're not the same thing.

>Once again, Manga>Old Anime>>>Modern Anime
You just don't know anything about modern anime.
>>
>>83670700
It seems a lot of phrases in anime recur a hell of a lot. Not how they're translated in subtitles either, which can sorta vary, but literally what they're saying in Japanese.

I'm not saying media in general doesn't do this, with lines and phrases that are overused, but after a while of watching anime you start seeing certain situations and recognizing exactly what they'll say and how they'll deliver it.

Or I've just been watching a ton of crap anime.
>>
File: fuck-my-life.png (80 KB, 262x251) Image search: [Google]
fuck-my-life.png
80 KB, 262x251
>>83670658
the japanese culture in any tackled genre makes most anime cringy for me to watch.
e.g. 'comedy' makes no fucking sense and isn't funny since japan doesn't understand satire/observational humor and sticks to 'word puns' and 'expressional slap-stick' with little to no variety.
>>
>>83672466
One Punch Man
>>
>>83670723
>
>>
>>83670658
I don't hate anime. I just have a stronger connection towards American made cartoons as an American.
>>
>>83670658
Maybe it's because of the smug superiority additude of anime fans like you. Ever since the early 2000's, we've constantly have had to put up with the claims that anime is in superior to western animation and that cartoon fans are manchildren (although the latter is argued by many more people than anime fans). It made some sense for this superiority additude in the late 2000's when even some western animation fans admitted that modern anime (experiencing a creative renaissance) was overall better than modern toons (especially those on TV) which were in a brief dark age. Now though, with cartoons experiencing their own renaissance and Anime being seen by many to have stagnated, the additude has now become annoying and alienating.
>>
>>83673537
>modern anime (experiencing a creative renaissance)
What renaissance?

>Now though, with cartoons experiencing their own renaissance and Anime being seen by many to have stagnated
This hasn't actually happened though. American animated shows are still waaaaaaaaaaaay behind anime, and the notion that anime has stagnated is nothing more than a myth.
>>
>>83672496
One joke man
>>
>>83673537
>Maybe it's because of the smug superiority additude of anime fans like you.
>He gets this upset by people saying obvious things like American TV animation isn't that good

Grow up?
>>
>>83670700
This.
I have nothing against it personally but the dialogue between character's always bothers me in a way that just stops from being able to continue watching.

It's a small pet peeve that is sadly an inherit part of the medium that adds up to become a large annoyance and deal breaker.
>>
>>83672466
Tiny Toons & Animaniacs will like to have a word with you.

In fact your picture is from Animaniacs.
>>
>>83673905
I thought they just did the animation not the writing.
>>
>>83673905
Tms was only animated in Japan
>>
>>83673929
>>83673938
They edited the scripts all the time.
>>
>>83673660
>What renaissance?
The one in the late 2000's (should've reworded it.

>This hasn't actually happened though. American animated shows are still waaaaaaaaaaaay behind anime, and the notion that anime has stagnated is nothing more than a myth.
Comments like this and >>83673827 are the exact reasons why some people despise anime fans. Maybe anime hasn't stagnated but not recognizing some people just enjoy the storytelling of the west better than the east makes one come off as ignorant and condescending.
>>
File: hope.jpg (3 MB, 4327x3869) Image search: [Google]
hope.jpg
3 MB, 4327x3869
>>83674323
There was no renaissance at that year, please read this, it will save your life one day.
>>
No one really hates it that much OP, it's just losers like you who keep shitposting the same /a/ vs. /co/ thread day in and day out.
>>
>>83674323
And what renaissance was that exactly?

>Comments like this and >>83673827 are the exact reasons why some people despise anime fans.
I was simply stating a fact. Maybe you should be despising the state of American animation instead.
>>
>>83674323
>Bring this mad because someone triggered your childish sensibilities
>>
>>83674412
I like this image because it's true in a lot of its points but it shits the bed by having Avatar and SBT on it
>>
File: No.jpg (22 KB, 286x328) Image search: [Google]
No.jpg
22 KB, 286x328
>>83674412
>Symbionic Titan
>Bad animation
>>
File: cartoons the then and now.jpg (4 MB, 4327x3869) Image search: [Google]
cartoons the then and now.jpg
4 MB, 4327x3869
>>83674412
>>
File: pennycomic_Page1.png (632 KB, 900x1816) Image search: [Google]
pennycomic_Page1.png
632 KB, 900x1816
>>
File: pennycomuc_Page2.png (700 KB, 800x1610) Image search: [Google]
pennycomuc_Page2.png
700 KB, 800x1610
>>83674938
>>
File: pennycomic_Page3.png (337 KB, 800x1182) Image search: [Google]
pennycomic_Page3.png
337 KB, 800x1182
>>83674964
>>
File: pennycomic_Page4.png (906 KB, 800x2255) Image search: [Google]
pennycomic_Page4.png
906 KB, 800x2255
>>83674983

all I got so far. I wish I could work faster
>>
>>83674938
>>83674964
>>83674983
>>83675002
>I could just transform into other people!

Christ, its' like you don't even watch the cartoon.
>>
>>83674412
>>83674885
You know star vs had some pretty good animation before the studio shift
>>
>>83674685
It's true, Rough Draft is soulless.
>>83674885
First one is still better but this is still valid.
>>83675111
Better then most flash shows but Wakfu/Dofus creams it however.
>>
>>83675309
>>83674885
Also, at least you agree with me that Laura Haruna was a wonderful girl.
>>
Well, I can think of a few reasons subjectively.

Anime leans heavily towards the "real". Realistic environments, realistic anatomy, realistic color palettes, realistic talking times, realistic flowy and smooth motions. It's all very pretty, but it's not what I look for in animation. It's a medium where you can literally do anything, and yet it sets itself within their own narrow boundaries. Sure you still have fantastical concepts, giant mechs and monsters and the like, but even they are still grounded by these natural constructs, and are relegated to small portions of the actual episode time.

Extreme caricature, effective character design, and surrealism are things I've yet to see in anime. I'm sure they're out there, things like Panty and Stocking and BoBoBo have been great and have really appealed to me, but I really have no time to dig out of the mountains of fairly homogenized material within the anime community to find more.

(If someone recommends me another high school anime I think I'm going to have an aneurysm.)

Also, how hard is it to use frames efficiently and effectively, with strong posing and transitioning techniques (squash and stretch, follow through) that use fewer frames while maintaining the life and energy of the characters, rather than relying on stills and mouth loops, which, for me, completely break emersion. Anime seems to forsake these in favor of big action and event scenes, but what's the good in this when the rest of the episode has so little motion that it could honestly be audio theater?

Also, as someone who's studying to become an animator, there's very little reason for me, as a western artist, to focus on the eastern anime aesthetic. We will never have the manpower or economic incentive when we compete with their own style. And because I don't intend to learn Korean or Japanese any time soon, I need to look within the limitations of my own industry and adapt accordingly.
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 300x168
>>83675544
>Extreme caricature, effective character design, and surrealism are things I've yet to see in anime.
>>
>>83675544
>Also, as someone who's studying to become an animator, there's very little reason for me, as a western artist, to focus on the eastern anime aesthetic.

Aren't you supposed to look at animation from all over the world? You do realize even Walt took inspiration from the East?
>>
>>83675544
>It's a medium where you can literally do anything, and yet it sets itself within their own narrow boundaries
American animation is much, much more limited because it covers such a narrow range of stories and has a more limited range of animation. You're probably thinking it's less limited because of "squash and stretch" and whatnot, but that's just a single style. Doing funny faces and cartoon gags for the better part of a century does not constitute breaking boundaries.

>Extreme caricature, effective character design, and surrealism are things I've yet to see in anime.
That kind of stuff can be found in anime. Masaaki Yuasa is probably the most well-known example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVgv1d0PeZQ

Shinya Ohira is another one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BosH9d56SsM

>Also, how hard is it to use frames efficiently and effectively
Anime makes super efficient use of drawings. That's really the basis of its limited animation style.

>rather than relying on stills and mouth loops, which, for me, completely break emersion.
You get "immersed" by cartoon animation rather than sets, lighting, music, sound design and camera work?

>Anime seems to forsake these in favor of big action and event scenes, but what's the good in this when the rest of the episode has so little motion that it could honestly be audio theater?
This is a myth and not what anime is actually like.
>>
>>83675821
Again, Tiny Toons & Animaniacs will like to have a word with you.
>>
>>83676318
Yes?
>>
>>83676339
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x27aspu_hollywood-plucky-tiny-toons_shortfilms
>>
>>83676396
What does that have to do with my point?
>>
>>83676432
The episode has extreme caricatures, effective character designs, and surrealism.

This also has surrealism.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2neqnn
>>
>>83676513
I never said it didn't.
>>
>>83676513
I don't think you're comprehending his point. He posted Space Patrol Luluco, an anime, in response to: "Extreme caricature, effective character design, and surrealism are things I've yet to see in anime." He didn't say anything about American shows.
>>
>>83675070

I do watch the cartoon anon, I know penny only transforms depending on her emotions.

bitch
>>
>>83676606
Tiny Toons & Animaniacs were made in Japan by TMS.
>>
>>83677143
Ok, but I don't see how it's relevant to what he said.
>>
>>83670658
Let's be honest, there have been some obnoxious anime fans here before, riling people up with their "anime is superior, suck on it" bullshit, and it only takes a few of those to give /co/ a bad impression of /a/ altogether.
>>
>>83670858
its a great fucking show
the fact it can entertain a kid and a adult for 2 whole different reasons proves it
>>
>>83677366
It has extreme caricatures, effective character designs, and surrealism.
>>
>>83677569
Ok? He wasn't disagreeing with you.
>>
>>83677726
Good, I'm glade.
>>
>>83671844
you actually have no idea that you're talking about, do you?
>>
>>83675070
>>83676803
it seems a small fanbase can be as terrible as the bigger fanbase. Why I am not surprised?
>>
>>83671444
>If I named any other superhero comic, you would reject it as "not deep enough"

that's a single genre, anon, not all there is.
>>
>>83677775
What scent?
This is important
>>
>>83678026
Cherry.
>>
>>83672466
you don't understand just how guarded emotional displays are in jap culture.
everyone is trying to ferret out each others emotions while trying to remain guarded. they are like the Elcor from mass effect to a degree.

what you consider satirical or observational is not the same thing as what the Japanese do.
>>
>>83678194
But like John K said, most Japanese humor sucks hence why he hates Tiny Toons & Animaniacs.
>>
>>83678183
I'm sorry anon, it just wasn't meant to be
>>
>>83678278
How?
>>
>>83678239

>implying anime was ever made for people of the USA
>bunch of anonymous faggots who are too much of pussies to say much of anything they write out in public write it anyway

If you wimpasses ever get the gall and the balls to do this in public to anime fans, I'll reward you. Bonus if it's an Asian person.

<spoiler>hahahahahahaha, like any of you ever will</spoiler>
>>
>>83678361
Space Dandy says hi as that was made for a US market, Bones even had 2 episodes produced by TMS (episodes 2 & 17, the later being the Aikatsu parody of which TMS did most of the first season and the movie).
>>
>>83678239
it's true that subtlety is difficult for Americans to grasp, but i doubt i'm wrong in saying that most anime isn't trying to be funny.
>>
>>83678444

I'm sorry, I'm looking for a confrontation, NOT A FUCKING PEDANT CONVENTION

FUCK OFF FORUM DEBATER MASTURBATER
>>
>>83678492
John K is Canadian however.
>>83678494
You are getting a confrontation.
>>
>>83678444
one example to the contrary does not disprove the general fact.
>>
>>83678528
America is a continent, Canadians are just as bad.
Nobody cares about central and south america.
>>
>>83678533
Blue Jacket aired first in Italy but was 100% funded by subcontracted funds over the span of 6 years (PSO2TA, Orange & All Out were only done because they want over budget on Blue Jacket),
>>
>>83678575
America = USA in this case.
>>
>>83678639
When he said that one example to the contrary doesn't disprove a general fact he didn't mean that two examples to the contrary are enough.

Anime is rarely made for foreign markets.
>>
>>83672376
>It seems a lot of phrases in anime recur a hell of a lot
I lost count of how many times I saw "serves you right" in anime
>>
>>83678681
don't you tell me what i meant, anon.
>>
>>83678742
is that not a common turn of phrase in general?
>>
>>83678707
Thundercats 2011 was made for the west.

Face it, eestern studios pay more hence Japanese studios are heading out west as the pay checks are 10X larger (but a 1/4 of Disney animators).

Why do you think IG & TMS are making content for Netflix with $4 million to spend per episode?
>>
>>83678639
so, 2 out of how many? keep going, you'll break into "it's exceedingly rare" soon.
>>
>>83678840
Blue Jacket just aired 1st in Italy, it was funded 100% by 6 years of contract fees.
>>
>>83672376
Owari da!
>>
>>83678816
I'm talking about anime made entirely in Japan, not contract work (which isn't common these days either).

There were about 45 new half hour long shows aired this season and about 22 short ones. In addition to movies and OVAs. That's how much anime is produced these days. How many are made for foreign markets? Maybe one per year, at most? Maybe not even that?
>>
>>83671120
Well, there's obviously more in the past than what's come out recently, so "a lot" is pretty subjective.
Also, there are a lot of technical advancements lately. You'd always expect animation bumps, but modern shows look SIGNIFICANTLY better when they go all out and exactly the same in the budgeted moments.
>>
>>83671844
>Manga>Old Anime
Those aren't the same medium. They're not comparable.
Also, define "old" and "new", because modern otaku pandering started at latest the 80s.
>>
>>83679005
Thundercats 2011 like Tiny Toons & Animaniacs was a co-production, it was not ditched to 4C, 4C did ditched the show to TMS/Moi (episodes 1, 5 and 26) and The Answer Studio (episode 7) however.
>>
>>83679139
>otaku pandering
Doesn't exist.

>>83679163
So?
>>
>>83672466
>satire/observational humor
And that's the only form of humor? Though you're obviously not familiar with all the snarking used constantly in every show ever since Clannad and Haruhi made it cool.
>>
>>83670746
You arn't wrong but anime fans arn't better.
>>
>>83679193
Explain Kill La Kill then.

Also, higher pay checks mean happier animator/directors.
>>
>>83679267
Explain what about Kill la Kill?

>Also, higher pay checks mean happier animator/directors.
What about it?
>>
>>83676177
>sets, lighting, music, sound design and camera work
These are definitely stronger in the east. Western shows usually have layouts designed to show everything in a single shot, and don't have much dynamic camera work or lighting outside close-ups, which are themselves limited. But that's to be expected when nearly everything is a comedy. It's not uncommon to see a shot angled from the ground in Japan, but I've never seen that outside of first-person shots in the west, let alone the shot framing a character or group.
>>
>>83679287
That Kill La Kill is otaku bate and you said that does not exist, but it does.

If you are only getting payed only $1000 a month you can't do anything meaningful but if you get $10,000 a month you can live a normal life.
>>
Western cartoons are almost exclusively comedy and or non sequential. It's rare to see an ongoing narrative or topics that arnt comedy. It's also extremely expensive and therefore extremely cheap. Not all cartoons are like this but ithe feels like no one is trying to push the medium forward.
>>
>>83679193
>Doesn't exist.
I'm not saying anime is in a bad state, but come on.
>>
File: tms-15.png (239 KB, 472x352) Image search: [Google]
tms-15.png
239 KB, 472x352
>>83679419
>Extremely expensive.
Remember when comedy show were allowed to be this?
>>
>>83679393
How is Kill la Kill otaku bait?

>If you are only getting payed only $1000 a month you can't do anything meaningful but if you get $10,000 a month you can live a normal life.
What about it? Why are you bringing this up? How is this relevant?

>>83679440
No, you come on. Hundreds of people have made this claim and nobody has provided any proof of its existence. That's because the whole idea is based on a misconception of how things work in Japan.
>>
>>83679484
>nobody has provided any proof of its existence.
Oh, you're that guy.
Maybe you should spend some time on 2ch, because they tend to disagree with you.
>>
>>83679509
>Oh, you're that guy.
This is not Reddit.

>Maybe you should spend some time on 2ch, because they tend to disagree with you.
A misconception is still a misconception even if it's said on 2ch.
>>
>>83679484
Sexism.

Also Japanese animators barely get payed anything and the only time they got a actual pay check is when they were doing american projects.
>>
>>83679612
How is it sexist, and how does being sexist make it otaku bait?

>Also Japanese animators barely get payed anything and the only time they got a actual pay check is when they were doing american projects.
WHAT ABOUT IT? Where the fuck are you going with this? What is your point?
>>
>>83679646
Their outfits showing off so much of their body.

People need money to live a actual life and Tokyo is expensive to live in.
>>
>>83680063
>Their outfits showing off so much of their body.
What about it?

>People need money to live a actual life and Tokyo is expensive to live in.
What about it?

Are you actually going to say anything or will you just keep making these empty, random statements?
>>
File: Ok.png (120 KB, 350x270) Image search: [Google]
Ok.png
120 KB, 350x270
>>83670658
>It's an OP baits /co/ be saying American animation is bad episode
>>
>>83680109
It's you that is making the mind fucks.
>>
>>83680063
>Their outfits showing off so much of their body.
What is wrong with that? I like my anime girls like that.
>>
>>83680149
???
>>
File: lala-66.jpg (157 KB, 876x979) Image search: [Google]
lala-66.jpg
157 KB, 876x979
>>83680182
Girls are not walking talking flesh lights, they are humans, this is how you do a female character.

Ignore the hamster as he is a boy.
>>
>>83680230
>>>/Tumblr/
>>
>>83670940
I didn't get it for a while either. Apparently Season 1 is bad or something but the rest is great.
>>
>>83680230
But they are 2d not real so who gives a shit.
>>
>>83680266
NO!
>>>/Cartoon Research/
>>83680308
It matter because it make you be able to get a real woman.
>>
>>83670658
Because they don't like that anime is free from SJW faggotry.

Enjoy your lesbian rocks, female Thor, and Muslim Captain America.
>>
>>83670658
I like anime, but I don't mix my anime with my cartoons. Even with my blu-rays/dvds I make sure the cartoons and anime don't share the same space. I don't want some sort of gang war to break out between them and have some of my blu-rays/dvds go missing.
>>
>>83680462
But i dont want real woman.
>>
>>83680141
Stop making inane posts
>>
File: hayao_article_story_large.jpg (152 KB, 1012x675) Image search: [Google]
hayao_article_story_large.jpg
152 KB, 1012x675
>>83670658
Because /co/ doesn't know shit. If they knew any shit about animation they would know that those western animators they consider so good look up to Japanese animation.

Pixar head John Lasseter spoke about wooing his wife by showing her scenes from Miyazaki's debut feature, "Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro," the day after he met her. The film "had adventure, heart, action and humor, done with such style and sophistication and a wonderful eye for the details of human behavior," he said. "It was proof positive, as Walt Disney had showed so many years earlier, that animation was for everyone…Every time I watch a Miyazaki film, I learn something about the craft of filmmaking."

"The Japanese do the best action films in animation, so when you're studying animation, you look to the best sources you can for whatever you're trying to be inspired by."
Craig McCracken

"I’ve always been very inspired by Japanese animation."
Ben Bocquelet

Also the Japanese animation companies who do the most original stuff usually look up for inspiration on the west as well. You won't do much good if all you do is suck your own dick.
>>
>>83670658
/co/ likes immature animation and comics aimed literally to children but they feel somehow above immature animation for japanese adults
>>
>>83680940
You have to be with one, end of story.
>>
>>83670658
I prefer anime because I'm not an american and their particular cultural brand of doing things irks me, while grolious nippon doesn't irk me. Or at least doesn't irk me as often.
>>
>>83681614
But i dont, i just want to die alone with my 2D girls.
>>
>>83681524
Just because they're inspired by it doesn't mean I have to like it. I can appreciate it for what it's attempting to do, but I just happen to dislike.

Don't know why, might be the dialog, humor, or culture that I don't like.
>>
>>83680063
Kill La Kill is a parody of anime tropes. They made fun of fanservice by making the outfits absurdly revealing. Also they show naked men as well as naked women.
>>
>>83682836
bobobo was the best parody of any of them and should've ended there.
>>
>>83682631
Those animators were pretty clear on how much they like anime.
>>
>>83670658
Star vs Evil
Gravity Falls
Rick and Morty
Korra
Wakfu
There are just WAY less cartoons than there are Japanese animemes.
>>
>>83682852
That's just your opinion.
>>
>>83670658
I like anime, I just don't like "/a/ tries to prove they are better than /co/" threads
>>
>>83682870
I thought I got my point across in that post.
>>
>>83682924
/a/ doesnt think they are better, some people even likes /co/ stuff in there like samurai jack or PPG.
>>
>>83682976
Pretty much this. It is just that /co/ have a inferiority complex. They are a board dedicated to western productions where their biggest representatives are either rehashing the same shit for almost a century, or in a dark age making them feel insecure.
>>
>>83682924
In general they are mostly because /co/ doesn't know much about obscure European productions and a couple of hidden gems from other countries so due to the huge variety of genres available in anime the comparison between anime and American/Canadian cartoons is unfair. Anime beats by far in number, range of themes and genres so you have to compare it to western animation for a fair match and not just north American animation that is all most people here knows about.
>>
>>83682836
It was not a parody and they were 1000X more naked women then they were naked men.
>>
>>83674412
>First couple frames are at least semi-reasonable
>Penultimate frame has shows with garbage, mediocre, good, and fucking great animation all lumped under sub-He-Man.

THIS is how you troll.
>>
>>83683474
>Actually believes KLK wasnt a parody
>>
>>83683718
Not them, but it's a self-indulgent parody.
It teases the concept, but revels in it. There's no contempt, they're making fun of something they enjoy.
>>
>>83672376
That's just the nature of the language. There are many more set phrases in Japanese than English.

t. David-kun.
>>
>>83683775
I don't think anyone ever said it was Satire.
>>
>>83683718
It is not a parody, it was however a insult to women.

Laura Haruna for life.
>>
>>83683775
That is 100% false.
>>83683842
It's not.
>>
>>83683871
tumblr pls. Just because anime still can have sexy women doesnt mean it is sexist.
>>
>>83683923
Kill La Kill is indeed sexist.

Laura Haruna was created for a reason.
>>
>>83684002
You don't belong on this website. Leave.
>>
>>83684028
Yes, I do.

You're delusional, please seek help.
>>
File: 1280369480567.jpg (30 KB, 500x353) Image search: [Google]
1280369480567.jpg
30 KB, 500x353
>>83670658
I guess I... grew out of anime?

I love 80's-90's-early 2000's stuff like Gundam and Golden Boy, and of course, I was introduced to the genre through Pokemon and Digimon as a kid. I also enjoyed Naruto and One Piece as a teenager, more for the worldbuilding and humor than being a hardcore fan. It goes without saying that I am a Miyazaki fan (Princess Mononoke is my favorite film of his), and though I'm not crazy about it, I did greatly appreciate Akira.

But as an adult, anime just makes me feel... "eh."

Most of it today just seems like Moe slice-of-life crap. Seriously, why do grown men and teenagers watch shows about little girls? I always ask and they say "just cute girls doing cute things!"

>Female characters ALWAYS wear their school uniform and NEVER change out of it (see Kagome from Inu-Yasha)
>Series that have over 600 episodes
>Everyone, from high ranking military officials to scientists to scholars, is between the ages of 14-22.
>Fight scenes that go anywhere from 15 minutes to three episodes (Naruto, seriously fuck the Zabuza arc)

Modern anime, even non-moe things like KLK and Attack on Titan look so bland to me.
>>
Why am I always the thread-killer?
>>
>>83684334
Try Diamond is Unbreakable
>>
File: 1465500875738.jpg (87 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
1465500875738.jpg
87 KB, 1440x1080
>>83684334
>why do grown men and teenagers watch shows about little girls?
I dont even know myself why i watch those shows.I guess it is escapism from my shitty life. Well i dont watch every moe anime but i do like shows like K-On and Tamako market.
>>
>>83684028
I agree with that anon and I've been here a long time, buddy. Maybe it's time you open up your world view a little.
>>
I watch two animes right now -- Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Sakamoto desu ga? -- and have watched two or three animes a season for the past few years. I used to be REALLY into anime when I was a teenager, grew out of it in a really aggressive way, and then kind of slowly got back into it. I don't hate it now, but it's a lot harder to convince me to watch any give anime compared to when I was 16. While there are obviously exceptions, most anime is just bad. Even if it looks good, the plot will be recycled garbage. This isn't to say that western cartoons can't be bad as well, but there is far more anime produced in any given year than western cartoons which leads more anime to be trash.

Also, it's really funny when weebs find out you don't like their favourite shit.
>>
>>83683894
>That's false.
How? They fucking love sexual content and comedy derived from it at Trigger, they just made a show making fun of that stuff while BEING the same thing.
>>
>>83684754
>not telling them to start at Phantom Blood so they can fully appreciate the beginning of the saga
>wanting to rob someone of the perfection of Battle Tendency
>denying someone the full experience of Stardust Crusaders

I'm on to you, DIO.
>>
>>83684849
You do realize a good number of the English fanbase started with Part 3 or 7. Plus Part 4 is currently airing
>>
>>83684885
Of course, but parts 1-3 are readily available. It's not like there are no options here.
>>
>>83674412
>>83674885
>>83675309
>>83677143
>>83677569
>>83680230
>>83680462
>>83683871
>>83684122
>>83684002

Fuck yourself and die Famicom you fucking subhuman piece of shit.
>>
File: anime then and now.jpg (2 MB, 3860x3860) Image search: [Google]
anime then and now.jpg
2 MB, 3860x3860
>>83681524
I doubt that Western animation has been influential in Japan for decades. They have grown completely apart and are philosophically, techically and stylistically very different.

>>83684334
>Most of it today just seems like Moe slice-of-life crap.
See attached picture.

>Seriously, why do grown men and teenagers watch shows about little girls?
This is a dead giveaway that someone has actually never watched any of these shows and doesn't know anything about them (yet still complains about them). The vast majority of moe shows don't have little girls in them; the characters are in middle or high school.

It's also an absurd, arbitrary idea that the characters and viewers have to be the same age and gender.

>Female characters ALWAYS wear their school uniform and NEVER change out of it (see Kagome from Inu-Yasha)
That's not usually the case.

>Series that have over 600 episodes
There are only a few of those, and the modus operandi for American shows is to run as long as they possibly can (The Simpsons has been running since the late 80s, and South Park since the late 90s).

>Everyone, from high ranking military officials to scientists to scholars, is between the ages of 14-22.
There are a lot of young and very young characters in anime, but this is clearly an exaggeration.

>Fight scenes that go anywhere from 15 minutes to three episodes (Naruto, seriously fuck the Zabuza arc)
In a handful of daytime shows. The same few shows from the past 30 years or so that everyone keeps bringing up again and again and again as evidence of whatever it is they think is wrong with anime.

>Modern anime, even non-moe things like KLK and Attack on Titan look so bland to me.
I don't get the impression that you've actually watched modern anime beyond a couple of shows.
>>
>>83684822
>While there are obviously exceptions, most anime is just bad. Even if it looks good, the plot will be recycled garbage.
How do you know this when by your own admission you hardly watch anime? And why is a plot bad just because it's been done before?
>>
>>83685158
Because I start and drop a lot of anime pretty fast. And a plot isn't bad JUST BECAUSE it's been done before, the plots they tend to reuse (moeblobs doing moeblob things, shounenshoulders doing shounenshoulder things) are pretty bland and easy to spot.
>>
>>83685218
Moeblobs don't exist, moe shows don't have plots, and shounen isn't a genre. There are also only a few moe shows per season.

As expected, you just listen to stories on the Internet and then pretend they're part of your personal experience.
>>
Because this is a board about western cartoons I guess
>>
File: 1422572187324.jpg (177 KB, 700x1137) Image search: [Google]
1422572187324.jpg
177 KB, 700x1137
>>83684832
It's not, it's just being sexist.

Laura Haruna for life.
>>83684998
Lots of people like Laura Haruna and I'm not subhuman piece of shit.

I have done nothing wrong, TMSGuy has by jumping over the gun at times.

Reminder over at >>83674885
>>
>>83685299
>Moeblobs don't exist.
Yes they do and when they used to be alot more of them they got cut back alot due to Abe's draft.
>>
>>83685941
There is no such thing as a moeblob.
>>
>>83685999
Yes there is, see K-On!
>>
>>83685871
>It's not, it's just being sexist.
Are Japanese women also being sexist when they create, direct or contribute to works that feature female characters showing skin or being in sexual situations? Because they do that a lot. They also do it with male characters.

Maybe you should go over there and save them from themselves.

>>83686014
I have seen K-On and I saw no moeblobs anywhere. Because they don't exist.
>>
>>83672376
Japanese writing in general is unbelievable trash, filled with endless reuse of tropes and clichés over and over again.
Japan hasn't produced a single well written thing in years.
>>
>>83686039
Only Takahashi has a habit of doing that.

The rest, not so much, but it's there.

>K-On
What do you think is a moeblob as Naoko Yamada is known for her blobby art style.
>>
>>83686051
Watching Dragon Ball Z doesn't qualify you to make statements about all Japanese writing.
>>
>>83686051
And yet, all of those great 90s things were speared headed by Americans (mostly Tom Ruegger).
>>
File: 0.png (815 KB, 1000x1450) Image search: [Google]
0.png
815 KB, 1000x1450
>>83686119
>Only Takahashi
Confirmed for knowing absolutely nothing about manga and anime.

>What do you think is a moeblob as Naoko Yamada is known for her blobby art style.
Moeblobs do not exist.
>>
>>83686180
>great 90s things
Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Nadia, Serial Experiments Lain, Ghost in the Shell, Memories, Princess Mononoke, Perfect Blue--these were all spearheaded by Americans, you say?
>>
>>83686187
There are 10X more male H-artists.

>Moeblobs do not exist.
Yes they do, Naoko Yamada created them.
>>
>>83686226
I was talking about Tiny Toons & Animaniacs which puts those shows and movies to shame to infinity and beyond.
>>
>>83686252
Seeing as how Comiket has been dominated by women and was still majority female in 2009, that may not be the case. But it doesn't even matter whether it is or not, because it's completely irrelevant to what we're talking about.

>Yes they do, Naoko Yamada created them.
Moeblobs do not exist no matter how many times you make the completely unsubstantiated claim that they do.

>>83686280
You are delusional.
>>
>>83685035
Sorry to break it to you but that image you posted a load of BS. It's not as bad as anon stated it but it's still pretty bad. You still get a LOT of moe/school/sol crap that makes it to the top which is probably why the image you posted barely gave that many examples that break the sol genre.

>>83686127
Not the same guy but I have never watched Dragon Ball Z and know that most Japanese writing is shit based on everything else I've watched so far.
>>
>>83686319
Men use other means to sell their porn.

Yes they do and it's you that is delusional.
>>
>>83678239
>b-but lord john says it's not funny, so it must not be!
Jeez man, just formulate your own opinions or at least listen and try to reason with someone else's.
>>
>>83686427
The thing is that I love those shows but John had issues with TMS's staff and when their show became a monster hit, his show was nowhere near as big so he always attacked TMS any chance he got.
>>
>>83686358
>It's not as bad as anon stated it but it's still pretty bad.
It isn't.

>You still get a LOT of moe/school/sol crap
Nobody said those aren't made anymore, nor is there any reason why they shouldn't be made. Or do you think that the anime industry exists exclusively for your sake, and even a single show that isn't to your liking should not be made? And why do you even have such a hateboner for shows that you have never watched and don't know anything about?

"School" doesn't mean anything by the way. It's just a setting. More proof that you don't know what you're talking about.

>the image you posted barely gave that many examples that break the sol genre.
So it should list every single non-SOL anime that has come out since K-On? Is that what you're saying? There are about 30 shows this season alone that aren't SOL.

>based on everything else I've watched so far.
I.e. almost nothing.

>>83686390
>Men use other means to sell their porn.
What is this supposed to mean?

>Yes they do and it's you that is delusional.
This is like saying Home Alone is the greatest movie ever made.
>>
>>83670658

Says who? There's a lot of crossboarders here and we just keep our powerlevels secret.
>>
>>83686588
There are other outlets besides Comiket to sell porn.

As much as I love that movie, it is no Roger Rabbit.
>>
>>83686621
>There are other outlets besides Comiket to sell porn.
And?

>As much as I love that movie, it is no Roger Rabbit.
Saying that Roger Rabbit is the greatest movie ever made would be just as stupid.
>>
>>83670746
dude just yesterday there was an actual thread that just discused devilman and the day before that it was about an anime justice league
>>
>>83685035
>This is a dead giveaway that someone has actually never watched any of these shows and doesn't know anything about them (yet still complains about them). The vast majority of moe shows don't have little girls in them; the characters are in middle or high school.

>It's also an absurd, arbitrary idea that the characters and viewers have to be the same age and gender.
You didn't answer my question. What is the appeal of the genre?
>>
>>83686720
Why do I need to justify the appeal of the genre to you, especially when you're condemning it without knowing anything about it?
>>
>>83686641
But Roger Rabbit is the greatest movie ever made.

End of story.
>>
>>83686777
I'm just asking what it is about moe anime that would garner a fanbase of teenage/adult men. I'm not condemning it, I'm just curious what they see in it.
>>
>>83686358
>You still get a LOT of moe/school/sol crap
It is true but it doesnt sell as much like K-On or Lucky Star did. And i really wish japan will never start pandering west at this point. Anime and Manga is only thing what i enjoy have ruined by SJWs.
>>
>>83686833
Escapism.
>>
>>83686794
Yes, I'm sure any critic would rank it above the likes of Citizen Kane, Birth of a Nation, Battleship Potemkin, Godfather, Apocalypse Now, 2001, Taxi Driver and Lawrence of Arabia and whatnot.

>>83686833
http://www.japanesestudies.org.uk/articles/2009/Galbraith.html
>>
>>83686933
Alot of them did.
>>
>>83687181
Again, you are delusional.
>>
>>83687263
No, you are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jchyev9bNk
>>
>>83687279
What the fuck does that video have to do with anything?
>>
>>83683474
There were more naked men than naked women. But there were more barely dressed women than barely dressed men
>>
>>83687302
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ijkn_i-love-to-singa_shortfilms
>>
>>83687906
Again, you are delusional, seek help.
>>
>>83687908
What the fuck does that video have to do with anything?
>>
>>83687949
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hRSfvpOz4A
>>
>>83688042
WHAT THE FUCK DO THESE VIDEOS HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING? Answer the fucking question.
>>
>>83688106
Everything, thats what.
>>
>>83688133
???

What the fuck is going on here.
>>
>>83688174
We are talking about animation.
>>
>>83685035
>I doubt that Western animation has been influential in Japan for decades. They have grown completely apart and are philosophically, techically and stylistically very different.
Media as a whole influence each other, not only animation but also cinema but western cartoons do influence Japanese animation, it is just more subtle, they just don't try to copy it as a whole like they do in west.
>>
>>83688225
We were talking about your delusion that Roger Rabbit is the greatest movie of all time and that critics agree it is. What the fuck do these videos have to do with that?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.