[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Im trying to start an animated series but my main character is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: LSD.jpg (64 KB, 500x284) Image search: [Google]
LSD.jpg
64 KB, 500x284
Im trying to start an animated series but my main character is a direct reference to two extremely popular franchise characters to the point where I will have to claim it as a parody to get it copyrighted. Is this going to be seen as a copout that I couldn't create my own character or will it be a fun reference to get people into the world i'm creating (it's a video game world).
>>
Yes and yes. If the world itself is interesting and original (or at the very least fun) you should be fine.
>>
Dude look at Rick and Morty, you can do it
>>
>>83663535
Go ahead and make your first project a parody, short thing to get in practice and show what you are capable of. Then do something original.
>>
>>83663535
Mate, you literally described Astro City and that's fantastic.
>>
>>83663535
If it genuinely passes the legal test for parody, then it's (as far as almost anything is) an original work.

Worry more about getting the world right than about whether people will draw comparisons. If you get it right, the comparisons won't matter - but some people will make them anyway. I'm not suggesting you ignore all criticism, but you do need to be realistic about the level of it you're going to come in for - you will always find people who want to criticize your work simply because it's out there, the trick is to have a sense of perspective about it.
>>
File: baman.jpg (149 KB, 1600x600) Image search: [Google]
baman.jpg
149 KB, 1600x600
update fucking when
>>
File: Issuezero.jpg (69 KB, 492x640) Image search: [Google]
Issuezero.jpg
69 KB, 492x640
>>83663535
Go away, Chris.
>>
>>83663535
Well who are these popular franchise characters you're basing them off of?
>>
>>83665267
See
>>83665156
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.