[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Suppose you were tasked by Marvel with reinventing the Original
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7
Suppose you were tasked by Marvel with reinventing the Original 5 X-Men. You can do anything you want within the basic concept of the characters. How would you make these white-bread, WASPY teens of the early '60s relevant to modern audiences?
>>
>>83647536
Turn Bobby straight again
Make jean interesting rather than just MUH MUTANT MESSIAH
Turn Beast back into the deadpan, but likable stick-in-the-mud to bounce off the others
Give angel some form of offence rather than just dropping pipes on people
Cyclops is the respected, but sometimes too straight-laced leader
>>
>>83647643
>Turn Beast back into the deadpan, but likable stick-in-the-mud to bounce off the others
NOPE
>>
>>83647536
make em fuuuuuuwwwwwck,
>>
>make Beast into a dog/werewolf
>make Cyclops have one eye or make him blind
>make Jean have Green Lantern-like powers (her telekinesis is visible) and give her a mohawk or some other edgy female hair
>make Warren into a vampire with bat/demon wings
>make Bobby a slut
>>
Just throwing it out there but I'd have no problem at all if Beast was the gay one. Not even make a big deal about it.
>>
>>83647536
Make them say, SCREW THE X MEN WE'RE MAKING OUR OWN BASE
Take one of those many destroyed neighborhoods that should exist in NY with all the destruction superheroes regularly cause.
Set up there and move with all the young X men and overall young mutants willingly to live. Set up jobs that include intelligence and get shit on all the higher ups of the government, like everyone including obama dog and then through some deal get legalized so they don't get kicked out by the avengers. I'll call it reign of X and cyclops and Jean will lead the mutant neighborhood, set up fight clubs and make links between humans and mutants by giving them jobs that match their special talents
>>
I'd replace Angel. Probably with Storm but I'm open to other suggestions
>>
Make Scott a cute girl.
Make Jean a dude.
Ditch Beast so he can be a full time Avenger and get drunk with Wonder Man 24/7.
>>
>>83647937
>Make Scott a cute girl.
This
>>
>>83647995
Can her dad still be a space pirate?
>>
>>83647536
>>83647536
Why are you saying "white bread" and "waspy" like those are bad things?

All the best people are white
>>
>>83647536
Obviously, we go the Fox route and make iceman gay and make cyclops black

Then hand this foolish question back to Marvel
>>
>>83647937
>get drunk with Wonder Man
he dead
>>
>>83648349
What, again?
>>
>>83648349
In my revised continuity he isn't dead, because he's too busy getting drunk with Beast.
>>
>>83648047
Always. In fact, in my revised universe, there's a greater emphasis on space piracy, because it's fun.
>>
I would ignore the shit out of them and make a new O5 team about:

Cyclops
Jean
Storm
Beast
Sunfire
>>
>>83647536
Fun fact for all you diversity fags, unless you count gateway the magical, mute abo Jubilee is the only nonwhite character not named storm to be a member of the xmen after issue 100 and before the year 1990. For nearly Claremont's entire run storm is the only nonwhite on the team
>>
File: Absolutely Heretical.png (593 KB, 1185x1029) Image search: [Google]
Absolutely Heretical.png
593 KB, 1185x1029
>>83648865
>he thinks Irishmen are white
>>
>>83647536
7 members like the justice league
-Add in my own mary sue assassin character with ghost powers
-Add in Havok (make his powers like Vulcan)
-Make Scott an energy and Damage absorber(like Sebastian Shaw,Captian marvel)
-Beast is smart as ever now can control his transformation he also has an uber mode where his fur turn into a blonde and glows, he can even sprout wings
-Angel has psionic light base powers that manifest involuntarily as wings and a halo which he has to make an effort to suppress
he has enhance physiology and has regenerative and limited healing powers
-Turn Jean into a more fun loving science loving Raven
-make booby straight again

Started off as a gov funded program disguised as a school to help treat mutants and they ended up as an independent investigation agency
>>
>>83647769
>give her a mohawk or some other edgy female hair
Kill yourself
>>
Cyclops is the dick nerd straightman nobody likes, not even jean, his main reason for existing in my X-Men is to eventually be martyred in battle, thus giving him some reason to have existed in that he saved the team

Iceman is a plucky wise cracker, basically the groups Spider-Man, because of his attitude nobody takes him seriously but when he gets mad he completely wrecks shit

Angel is similar to the character Sky Lynx of Transformers fame in terms of personality, like a comedically arrogant knightly persona...I would give him a sword, probably some family heirloom

Beast I'd basically just make Beast from the animated show

Jean is the team ass until newer hotter female characters are introduced and she's pushed into the background as an advisor along with Xavier
>>
File: 1370217882155.jpg (61 KB, 599x729) Image search: [Google]
1370217882155.jpg
61 KB, 599x729
fuck off bendis, we are not going to do your work for you
>>
>>83647536
Cyclops
> Black
> Joins gang
> Powers manifest during shootout
> Gang manipulates him to commit more crime
> Cyclops felt like he belonged rather than that he was being used
> Nearly dies when the gang decides his power is more trouble than it's worth
> Escaped, lived on the streets

Ice Man
> White orphan with abusive foster parents
> Runs away
> Nearly dies in cold of winter until his powers manifest
> Gets by being a pick pocket
> Meets Cyclops on the streets
> They bond upon realizing that they both have superpowers
> Both steal right in front of Prof X who follows them and offers them a home, an education, and the chance to be something greater
> They accept because he is a nice adult with superpowers

Angel
> Mexican
> Considered a miracle of God upon his powers manifesting
> Got to his head, is arrogant
> Abused his influence by taking advantage of others
> Prof X humbled him for the first time by showing how there are always bigger fish
> Sees potential in him yet and invited him to join

Beast
> East Asian
> Strict parents
> Brow beat into being nothing less than an A+ student
> Yearns to be physically active
> Parents tell him that his future lies in his mind, not with his body
> He will not be an athlete or a manual labor of they have anything to do with it
> Prof X convinces his parents that he will give him a most prestigious education

Jean
> Ashkenazi Jewish
> Raised as a traditional Jewish girl
> Powers manifest during her Bat Mitzvah (Telepathy)
> Keeps them a secret
> Uses telepathy to her advantage in social situations
> Uses telekinesis in mundane ways
> Notices Angel, Beast, Cyclops, Ice-Man, and Prof X at some event while she is sweeping through people's minds
> Prof X is curiously blocked off
> He notices her and returns a telepathic message back to her that he knows what she is and that she is in the company of peers
> Has a telepathic conversation that leads to convincing her to join his academy if they can convince her parents
>>
make angel black
make cyclops a transgender
make jean half asian, half eskimo
make beast a gay autistic compulsive masturbator
ice man can play the straight man (but he's pansexual though)
>>
>>83647536
>modern audiences
>Make Cyclops a nonbinary, genderfluid androgynous leader.
>Warren gay
>Bobby bisexual
>Beast an asexual apekin
>Jean a slut who beats every villain with philosophical revelations and/or crumbling their minds with thoughts of secks
>>
>>83650248

So is Cyclops MtF or FtM?
>>
https://youtu.be/UngE0qn3VRY
>>
What's with the obsession of turning cyclops into a girl?!
>>
>>83651044

This isn't bad but I think Wes Anderson's actual version would all go by about 50% faster.
>>
>>83651380

Got to make someone a girl sometime, anon.

Scott's just, I dunno. Obvious.
>>
>>83648865
>who is forge
>>
>>83649551
You still believe in Santa Claus anon ?
>>
>>83650237
Damn that's some green text abuse
>>
>>83647536
>Angel
Spoiled atheist hipster. Largely do to the way he looks Warren takes a very anti religious stance on things, often voicing his opinion when it's not needed. Party/drunk bi
>Beast
Not animal like and definitely not blue beast but very hairy with the same large hands and feet. Extremely shy in person but has a very active social life online. Has a habit of catfishing girls.
>Cyclops
Really nice all American guy in a total bullshit kind of way. Very pessimistic but never expresses it. Doesn't really trust the group or Xavier but goes along with it because he feels he's out of options.
>Iceman
I really wouldn't change that much. I think there was a time when the ice covered him like an armor instead of him becoming ice, I'd go back to that. And when drawn you could see a person in the ice. When he was done he'd look wet.
>Marvel Girl
Extremely judgemental,The ability to read peoples minds has made her asexual. Feels most comfortable around Xavier because of his ability to block his thoughts. At the beginning she can't really separate her telekinesis from her telepathy. So if she's actually trying to read or control your mind she may just end up throwing you against a wall...or exploding your head.
>Prof X
Founding member of the Brotherhood. Some personal event makes him quit. He's a publicly wanted terrorist but he uses his telepathy so no one will recognize him.

It's not a school but a boarding house for mutants with nowhere else to go. All the kids are runaways or were disowned. Jean and Bobby are the only ones that go to a near by school. Xavier hires a tutor for the others. Even with just the five of them there is a divide between those who can "pass" and those with more obvious mutation.

The X-Men start off as a more covert mutant rescue operation. Abused mutant kids, illegal mutant testing, mutant hate crimes, and things of that nature.
>>
>>83650979
depends who is writing him!
>>
They're fine as they are. Having dark skin is not an interesting character trait.

>>83650237
You literally gave Iceman Cyclops' origin story for no reason.
>>
>>83651380

anon just like prison, someone's got to be the girl.
>>
>>83648609
>>83648349
Is he still inside Rogue?
>>
The unlicensed X-Man
Cyclops
>Team leader, idealistic with a strong desire to be a hero. Never hesitates to do the right thing, but sometimes put the mission above his teammates. Secretly is envious of his teammates for their more versatile powers. Trains daily and studies military strategy. Huge Captain America fan.

Beast
>Self loathing, but hides it with self deprecating humor. Genius intelligence, designed the X uniforms and Cyclops's visor. Super strong(near Colossus) but hates direct fighting and would rather use his smarts and gadgets. Loves surprising people, chose the code name "Beast" to mislead people.

Jean Gray
>No Phoenix, has a hard time not reading minds. Nosy and will try to fix other people's problems for them. Sometimes making it worse, but mostly just disregarding their own way of handling their problems. Is fond of Cyclops's sincere and unflinching dedication. Defensive of how the public treat her teammates. Wants to be the team mom, but is more like the team little sister.

Angel
>wings actually use electromagnetism to fly. So he can clurl them around himself to create a force field, as well shoot feathers out, when the feather hits its target a bolt of lightning is shot from his wing to the feather. Pretty boy with blonde hair and blue eyes, but is actually a very grungey person. Annoying liberal at times, but will listen to a rational argument. Struggles with a favoritism towards mutants over normal humans.

Bobby Drake
>Had a stint as a solo hero, but found himself on the bad side of the Brotherhood. Cocky and aware of just how powerful he is. Difficulty with a team dynamic, mostly out of concern for his less durable teammates. Argues with Cyclops often, but still admires his patience and tactical ability. Is mistrustful of mutants who have not proven their stability. Protective of normal people in a rather patronizing way.
>>
I would add in Storm and Colossus to make a team of 7.

>Cyclops is one of the most powerful energy output mutants ever born. He would accidentally nuke cities if not for technology keeping him in check.
>He is wanted as a main asset for at least three different mutant factions, Xavier got to him first and is trying to keep in in line because of the threat he makes
>He is completely afraid of his own power and is terrified of losing control. This makes him act like an authoritative ass because he hates carefree attitudes
>His crimson energy powers all of the X-Men technology

>Beast can manifest a variety of animal abilities, always appear blue. He can take an agility form as a gorilla, a strength form as a rhino, a flight form as a bat, combat form as a lion, or any other blue version of an animal for whatever situation. Always mammals, not reptiles or birds.
>they are not normal animals, something more like a blue TMNT mutant humanoid
>Jean is just telekinetic, not telepathic.

>Angel is a Korean girl that is insanely proud of her large black wings. They are too large to hide but she never tries to and loves to flaunt them everywhere.She is headstrong, super confident and always flies straight into trouble
>Like all feral mutants she has a healing factor which also contributes to her loving to jump straight into harm's way, she has no sense of danger or consequence

>Ice Man is an Indian teen from the UK that is incredibly nervous about his powers and rarely uses them to their fullest. He thinks he might not be human any more and that scares him.
>>
>>83648802
Cool team would throw out every O5 but Cyclops, and throw in Colossus and Nightcrawler.

We giant size x men now.
>>
>>83647536
I would let them have adventures
>>
I think the best way to make them stand out would be to give each of the 616 teams some kind of individual purpose.

>Fantastic Four are a science team that go on exploration adventures for research, they are not superheroes
>Avengers are the superheroes, the front line defense against external and internal threats to world security

>X-Men pose as a support group for emerging mutants that have nowhere to go or are outcast.
>They have evolved into a large fraternity associated with the Universities across the US, Xavier pays for their education and upkeep through an institute.
>In reality they are formed because Xavier knows about the Celestial plan and the fact that they might return very soon
>He wishes for the mutants to be judged worthy by the Celestials when they return to Earth or else be exterminated.
>He needs to prove that mutants are capable of thriving and surviving as a species successfully and will not fall to infighting and war that eradicates life like so many worlds have collapsed to in the past.
>>
File: 1462142234321.jpg (155 KB, 516x453) Image search: [Google]
1462142234321.jpg
155 KB, 516x453
>>83651527
I agree, Bub.
>>
>>83655759
Dayum Storm, you're dressed for sex, not combat.
>>
>>83655907
Add that to the improvement lists: everyone should be dressed for sex!
>>
Make everyone 80% hotter. Add Doug because modern audiences can't handle action unless a nerd is watching cctv footage and anime hacking.
>>
>>83656165
Douglas Ramsey was before his time, that is why he had to die!
>>
>>83647536
Okay,okay,okay, here goes... Reinventing... Reinventing...

>>83656165
"80% hotter..." - How about one of them just be ridiculously sexy, absurdly so, women want to kidnap him for sex, men do too... um, let's make that Angel. Oh, and he should be exciting when random people aren't trying to rape him, so lets make him a jetsetting heir to a vast fortune like Bruce Wayne... oh, and a secret vigilante at night too!
>>83647804
"...Beast was the gay one..." Sure, why not? He seems like a fun bear type, let's have him just as excited as Iceman to head off to Greenwich village... and that takes us to...
Iceman - Let's make Iceman a flaming gay nudist who runs around making bad puns and extremely queer comments in a snarky southern accent. You know, go really overboard with it.
Let's see, how to make boring Jean GRAY more exciting? Well telekinesis is lame, let's make her a pyrokinetic! And her good girl personality? Boring. Let's have her be a total psycho-crazy split-personality headcase! And that whole "Mutant Messiah"? Bah! She should be the walking, talking, endtimes! Pure chaos and death barely contained in human form! She should be The Destroyer of WORLDS! Bwa-Ha-Ha!
Hmm... >>83651527>>83652499
Seems like here's a consensus on this one. Plus, we get to add in a lezzzbian ship here...

Is that still too boring? I can go back to the drawing board...
>>
File: WarryBoy-1461182136329.jpg (112 KB, 438x369) Image search: [Google]
WarryBoy-1461182136329.jpg
112 KB, 438x369
>>83656475
Oh my stars and Garters! I forgot the pic! ... (DID he wear garters???)
>>
>>83651647
Someone who doesn't join the xmen Until after Jubilee, faggot
>>
>>83650237
Fuck off with your multicultural agenda
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.