[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Garth Ennis is a Hack
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: RCO017.jpg (824 KB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
RCO017.jpg
824 KB, 1988x3056
Just finished Preacher, really fuckin' disappointin'

Shooting god to death makes no fucking sense, does that mean he has organs and shit? Is he physical, spiritual, or ethereal?

66 fucking issues and they just shoot god, fucking hell.
>>
It's Garth Ennis. It's always the crude option.
>>
Pretty sure the entire point was the Saint of Killers could kill anything and everything. Doesn't matter if it was God.
>>
Vietnam is gay
>>
>>83628623
Man was made in God's image. Man has organs. Ergo God has organs.
>>
>>83628677
But that's still kinda dumb
>>
>>83628623
you were warned. you shouldn't have believed edgy fucktards
>>
Also just lookng at first issue than last issue I get what people mean when they talk about Dillon getting worse
>>
File: RCO018_1461903373.jpg (1 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
RCO018_1461903373.jpg
1 MB, 1988x3056
ohhh I get it now, Saint of Killers is a being of pure, dated 90s edge. And in Ennis world, it's the edgiest guy with the most guns who always wins.
>>
>>83628781
That's hilarious.
>>
File: RCO021_1461903373.jpg (1 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
RCO021_1461903373.jpg
1 MB, 1988x3056
>>83628781
wow he's actually so dark and edgy that he drives Satan himself into depression
>>
>>83628623
If there's one truth universal to Ennis, it's that he's an edgy faggot. Preacher is from a ridiculously edgy era, too.

I don't know what it is, but edgy stuff like this is just really popular among a certain audience. I kind of liken it to anime, because people who are into anime are so familiar with its tropes and stuff that they don't realize anyone who isn't is going to be jarred by them. I had that experience with weeaboo's recommending me anime, and I have that same experience with people who praise edgy comics. They say Ennis' stuff is good, but I read it, and I can't help but notice a guy's face is cut off and delivered in a box as just another day at the office. Like I said, jarring.

I feel the only time his edgy style worked, was in Crossed. And even that's a property done better by other writers, who were actually aware of the bizarre nature of its edgy universe, rather than Ennis, who probably identifies more with the Crossed than the survivors they're hunting down.
>>
File: RCO025_1461903373.jpg (1 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
RCO025_1461903373.jpg
1 MB, 1988x3056
>>83628803
okay this is actually pretty cool
>>
>>83628803
I'm so confused right now. On one hand, the art here>>83628623
looks downright atrocious, but on the other hand this is damn funny.
How is the series on the whole?
>>
>>83628827
Plus the constant, casual homosexual rape that goes on. "Right up the choccy starfish"? Fucking really? I'm not saying Ennis is a homophobe or anything, but goddamn it gets really tiring around the Salvation arc
>>
>>83628830
Genuinely awful once you've read all of it and reflect on what you've just read, but a pretty fun ride when you're going thru it. if you skip everything involving arseface you still understand the plot perfectly and be able to eat while you're reading
>>
>>83628781
>that dorky dialogue
I...kinda want to read this now
>>
File: UH UHM THU NUH.jpg (472 KB, 1680x1084) Image search: [Google]
UH UHM THU NUH.jpg
472 KB, 1680x1084
>>83628623
I started Preacher after reading Sandman, Swamp Thing, Animal Man etc. and assumed it'd likewise be a mind-blowing magical road-trip through the iris of eternity.
Instead I got Arseface.
The pitch is such a ruse cruise. It took somebody on /co/ explaining to me that's not Ennis' shtick at all to really get into it. Once you understand that he's all about the characters & the camaraderie, it's a really fun read.
Still think The Boys is better tho.
>>
>>83628868
I don't eat while I read though.
>>
>>83628827
If there's one thing I learned with comics, is that when you pick up on a writer's theme/voice, you start to like their work less. Ennis seems to run on this hatred on all powerful beings (The Boys, Preacher, etc). He loves the idea of a cold hearted asshole being able to topple the most powerful beings.

That and life is expendable.
>>
>>83628854
Oh come on, the buggerers were funny, and seeing Starr suffering worse and worse treatment over the series was a good bit.
>>
>>83628828
>okay this is actually pretty cool

If you're an edgy 13 year old I suppose it is.
>>
I'm not sure why Ennis is so revered and Millar is so despised when on a page-to-page level the only difference between them is Millar works with better artists.

I will admit Ennis seems like a really cool guy IRL while Millar is a deplorable backstabbing manipulative piece of shit.
>>
>>83628854
>>
Is it really any wonder why Seth Rogan was attracted to this series?
>>
>>83628883
>Jhuz
>Vuhh
>Uhfuh
My sides. Please no.
>>
>>83628901
No disagreement there, Starr was my favorite part and kind of sums up the entire comic with his character. He himself stops caring about The Grail and Armageddon and just wants Custer dead, same way the plot of the comic stops focusing on Jesse's hunt for god (which btw, how is he supposed to find god anyway) and starts focusing on the characters. And then at that point everything starts to seem like filler until you realize, no wait, this IS the plot.
>>
/co/ hates Ennis because Seth Rogan likes him
>>
>>83628623
Hitman
Punisher

Read those. That's Ennis in non-fag mode.
>>
>>83628913
fuck you fag a shadow showing a different thing than the thing that's casting it is fucking sweet
>>
>>83628883
>Once you understand that he's all about the characters & the camaraderie, it's a really fun read.

THIS

The true worth of Preacher lies in the friendships and relationships Ennis crafted, and the strengths of the various personalities. Jesse, Tulip, Cass, these are strongly defined individuals that drive the story as a result of their personalities. The admittedly edgy humor doesn't stop their tale from being heartening
>>
File: Preacher40_003.jpg (370 KB, 1680x744) Image search: [Google]
Preacher40_003.jpg
370 KB, 1680x744
>>83628868
Motherfucker Arseface is the best part of the entire series.
>>
>>83628914
Ennis is the best character writer ever in the medium.
>>
>>83628974
Oh dear god I need to go read this right now.
>>
>>83628854
Well, gay rape is edgy. And edgy is Ennis' gimmick. I mean, straight rape is edgy, too, but the sort of edgy that's one step too far for someone like Ennis, because the edginess is still a sort of adventurous wish fulfillment in the end. And putting a lot of straight rape into something will quickly make it look like you want to be the rapist, whereas gay rape just communicates a gritty setting where no-one is safe, because of established gender roles.

Looking back at Crossed (the only thing Ennis I've read beginning to end), there's more gay rape than straight rape. Of course, the Crossed don't care what they fuck, as long as they fuck, so it's not jarring. Like I said, it's the one setting where Ennis' edginess actually makes sense. It was also his first work I read, so when I saw some WWII comic by him, and it's EXACTLY THE SAME THING, I noped the fuck out.
>>
>>83628962
>fuck you fag a shadow showing a different thing than the thing that's casting it is fucking sweet

I guess you proved him right now didn't you ?
>>
>>83628914
Millar doesn't write good stories about how hard the SAS are, or how bad the IRA were.
>>
>>83628948
Just wait til they STOP giving him subtitles, It becomes pretty fun trying to figure out what he's saying.
>>
>>83628985
Is crossed the comic with the one page of the wife and husband getting raped and murdered at the same time, and the wife is like LOOK WHAT YOU DID LOOK WHAT YOU FUCKING DID
>>
>>83628781
>>83628803
>The devil's name is "Nick"

Have people considered that this story is meant to be funny?

Because holy shit this is hilarious. Saint of Killer's face is literally " :C "
>>
>>83629004
If I could figure out what Kenny said, I can figure out this guy.
>>
>>83629000
>or how bad the IRA were
>were
I AIN'T NOBODY'S NIGGER!
>>
File: RCO006_1461909694.jpg (1 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
RCO006_1461909694.jpg
1 MB, 1988x3056
woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

I can't believe i've never heard of this character, he's literally the most overpowered character in all of fiction, holy fuck.
>>
File: 1401293373942.jpg (107 KB, 762x659) Image search: [Google]
1401293373942.jpg
107 KB, 762x659
>>83628914
I asked this question of /co/ when I first got into Preacher and the consensus seems to be that Ennis is genuinely a great writer of layered developed human beings you want to read more of 'neath all the edge. Whereas Millar begins and ends with how the big picture sounds to movie execs.
>>
>>83629056
>walks off into the sunset
Ahh, a classic.
>>
File: RCO008_1461909694.jpg (1 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
RCO008_1461909694.jpg
1 MB, 1988x3056
Holy hell everything about this page. Anyone notice that both the guy on this page and Eisenstein look just like old Bruce Wayne from Batman Beyond.
>>
>>83629033
Yeah. Admittedly, I like that scene, because it skewers zombie survival movie clichés. I like it a little less that I would have otherwise, because the guy is written as an overt neckbeard, and they named their daughter Arwen. Which I still remember, but wish I didn't.

It's probably the first time the comic really pushes home how horrible this universe they're living in is. Now, after some of the Crossed stuff seeming to be in a race for showcasing the edgiest forms of violence, it feels like it lacks punch. But when you're reading it for the first time, it shows you that this shit is for real.

And hey, they actually murder a child in the comic itself. That's so edgy that I actually have to give them props for doing it.

Funnily enough, another thing I remember about that scene is that one of the Crossed is wearing a loincloth held up by an USB cable. It's the little things, really.
>>
File: Steamroller 3.jpg (315 KB, 900x1420) Image search: [Google]
Steamroller 3.jpg
315 KB, 900x1420
>>83629035
>Have people considered that this story is meant to be funny?
Well it is Garth Ennis
>>
>>83628978
>>83628949
This is a very good point about Starr, I hadn't seen that before, but now it's obvious in hindsight.

I agree completely. Ennis' strength is in characters, and it's rare I don't fall in love with his cast and become heavily invested in their relationships. Constantine & Kit, Tommy & Nat, Tulip & Jesse, Jesse & Cass, Frank & Franking, you care for all of them.
>>
OK, this dialogue is actually pretty funny. But hole hell, the art looks like ass. If it just looked a little better, I might be able to get into this.
>>
>>83629130
>Wolverine, Frank & the Midget Mafia
Aww, nuts.
>>
>>83628985
But his WW2 comics are nothing like Crossed, anon.
>>
>>83629160
i'm assuming he meant the one he read had a bumrape.
>>
>>83628914
Millar always is in your face and everything feels so forced. Sure, Ennis is a bit forced, but at least he's consistent with his tone. You know what you're getting yourself into. Millar on the other hand feels like someone who always trying to one up everything and make it seem cooler.
>>Miller "Look at my awesome new book! It's like James Bond!"
>>"Yeah, that seems okay"
>>Miller "Not interested?! Well now he's fucking a chick while firing a rocket launcher at a jet as he's plunging down to the Earth from an exploding plane!"
That's what I feel why Millar doesn't work as well. Hell, I remember reading a Spider-Man story of his where a simple fight with Electro ends up with several cars blowing up and Spider-Man saying "Monster! There were kids in those cars!" Didn't break Peter or anything. Just an off handed comment that kids were killed because "COLLATERAL DAMAGE TOTALLY ROCKS!!!"
>>
>>83629046
Finn, Jaysus this ain't Belfast
>>
>>83629063
A lot of Millar characters read the same to me. Like they talk the same and they say the same things because Millar's more interested in pushing them into different situations than he is in the characters themselves. Ennis might tend to write the same character over and over but it's a distinct character that feels like a genuine person. Millar's all high concept and paper thin characters, Ennis is all about dialogue driven character pieces combined with his ultra violence and edgy nastiness.
>>
>>83629130
>CanuckleheadCanuckleheadCanuckleheadCanucklehead

fucking kill me

>>83629145
Why do people shit talk the art so much? I think it ranges from great with all the wide open Mesas to passable towards the end.
>>
>>83629160
Just saw the same jam-coloured gore, the revelling in violence. I don't know, man. My grandparents lived through that war. I know what that shit was like, and I was greeted by a panel of someone just casually, gruesomely murdering someone for my entertainment.

There was a similar panel in Glory (the one with the amazingly buff superheroine, right?) that also put me off from ever reading that comic. It's her casually breaking a Wehrmacht soldier across her knee, while an American soldier is standing next to her just having a regular ol's conversation. That's the sort of stuff that communicates the writer and I just don't see eye to eye on violence in comics, so I'm simply not reading their shit.

So yeah, I admit, I don't know what his WWII comics are like. But they're enough like Crossed that I'm not going to read them.
>>
>>83629235
>My grandparents lived through that war. I know what that shit was like
>I know what that shit was like
No.
>>
>>83629145
>But hole hell,
>Butt Hole Hell
Ah haaaaa
>>
>>83629235
You should read his Hellblazer, you really should. There's very little casual man-on-man violence, and it's probably mostly (like what, 70% at minimum?) character work.
>>
>>83629235
But what about Ennis' infamous boner for Vietnam?
>>
the whole redneck family thing was a fedora-tier meme
>>
>>83629198
Sorry man, the art in these pages just looks like shit. it doesn't do anything for me, and in some panels it's work to get a good idea of what's going.
>>
>>83628695
He also killed Satan, dipshit. God had bestowed the Saint the ability to kill anything and God was less than all mighty when he was not sitting on his throne and got shot
>>
>>83629191
That actually fits with James Bond, though. Not the shitty Craig ones, but some of the older ones.
>>
>>83629282
Most of the pages posted here are not by the regular series artist, but part of a special one-shot.
>>
>>83629269
Which one? Theres like 3. The one that raised Custer, the one that kidnaps and cannibalizes Starr, and the one that the cyclops girl comes from.
>>
>>83629235
Same anon here.
I don't know which war comic you read, but many of them don't even involve violence.
You should try his War Stories: Johann's Tiger, Screaming Eagles and Nightingale are all great.
>>
>>83629256
Well Anon, unless you're 90 fucking years old, neither do you, so whatever shitty point you're trying to make is completely moot.

>>83629265
Sounds interesting. Fuck me, it has a long run, though.

>>83629267
I have no knowledge about that, and I don't think I've ever seen any Vietnam War stuff by him. I'd imagine his style is a little more appropriate for paranoid jungle wars, though.
>>
>>83629282
>>83629297
Yea the artist for the actual series is Steve Dillon, known for his sameface and full, kissable lips. Srsly, the first thing I read by these 2 was Welcome Back Frank and the first thing I noticed was the lips.
>>
preacher is good, fuck you guys
>>
>>83629322
>I don't think I've ever seen any Vietnam War stuff by him.

Are you talking about Ennis or Miller here? Because Ennis writes a fucking TON of Vietnam stuff.
>>
>>83629265
>70% character work
As someone who's analyzing Hellblazer issue by issue this is true. There's political commentary, but not nearly as much as was in Delano's run
>>
>>83629295
The Kingsman comic was absolutely terrible. It's what you'd get if you let a fanboy write a James Bond film, rather than a writer who knew what he was doing. It's the lowest form of edginess and wish fulfillment.
The movie turned out great, though. Funny how that works.
>>
>>83629322
>neither do you
I know. Never said I did.
>whatever shitty point
You're seriously going to get salty because I called you out on your bullshit? You didn't experience that war. You don't know what it was like. You don't get to go around telling people you do.
>>
>>83629311
That's good to know, at least. Maybe I'll give those a shot. People here do seem to have a high opinion of his as a character writer, and I thought his Crossed characters were pretty good.
>>
>>83629328
Don't really disagree. While you're reading it and getting to know the characters and going on this wacky adventure with them in Ennis' cartoon world of casual gay rape and inbred southerners (or to Ennis, Southerners) it's a lot of fun. It's when you get to the end that you say "well that sucked"
>>
File: Dillon-Faces_of_Alzheimer's_1.jpg (2 MB, 6721x2028) Image search: [Google]
Dillon-Faces_of_Alzheimer's_1.jpg
2 MB, 6721x2028
>>83629327
Reposting my examination of Dillon's deterioration over Preacher's run.
Note the proto-Frankface in 1996, too.
>>
File: Dillon-Faces_of_Alzheimer's_2.jpg (2 MB, 5042x2019) Image search: [Google]
Dillon-Faces_of_Alzheimer's_2.jpg
2 MB, 5042x2019
>>83629388
>>
>>83629350
was he also the writer for the Wanted comic?
>>
>>83629322
His run's not all that long, it's like what, 40 some odd issues? It's only 3 1/2 Fat Trades.
>>
>>83629350
Mathew Vaughn at least knows when some of Millar's ideas are terrible.
>>
>>83629388
>>83629394
Does he really have Alzheimers?
>>
>>83629388
>>83629394
This is pretty bad.
>>
>>83628974
Is... is he saying "my fairy arsemother"?
>>
>>83629343
Ennis. I'm not a regular Ennis reader. I just read Crossed and, apparently, managed to stumble into only his maximum edge stuff. I'm up for a good Vietnam comic, so I'll definitely check it out.

>>83629357
I talked to the people who went through it. That's about as knowledgable as anyone is going to get unless you actually went through it yourself. I plainly fucking said it, and we all assume we're functional adults, so you're meant to fill in the blanks yourself when I say my grandparents went through it and I know what it was like so we don't have to write entire fucking novels for simple communication, like I'm doing now, you fuckwad.

And nigger, YOU are the one getting salty and offended, here, because your autism means you take everything at face value. And this is my family's history, so no, you don't get to tell me what I know about what my family (people I actually talk to in real life) went through.
>>
>>83628695
Can God create a rock that's so heavy that even He cannot lift himself?
Can God make someone into the avatar of Murder, so powerful that he could even kill Him?
>>
>>83629459
Yep. What you're looking at is one of the worst parts of any comic ever made, Arseface's World. Don't buy into the "Arse Face is funny" meme. He's filler of the absolute highest caliber
>>
>>83629429
The evidence is undeniable.
>>
>>83629488
no and no, ending is dumb
>>
>>83629476
>y-you're the one who's salty!
>nigger! autist!
Uh-huh. Sure. If you care about your family's experiences that much, maybe show them the respect of not pretending you know what they went through just because you talked to them about it?
Bye now.
>>
>>83629493
>the moral anchor of the comic is filler of the highest caliber
>not realizing how Jesse, Starr and Arseface all mirror each other throughout the run
Shameful.
>>
>>83629344
I mean it's hard to get more political than "Margaret Thatcher was hand-picked by the hordes of hell".

How far into Hellblazer are you? I've read all of Delano, Ennis and Azz, but not too much more. How's Jenkins?
>>
>>83629388
>>83629394
Looks like he mainly just stops worrying about detailing of skin folds and shadows
>>
>>83628677

Exactly. God didn't give him weapons which had the magical property of "can kill anything except me," he gave him weapons with the magical property of "can kill anything." He was hoisted on his own petard; effectively killed by his own powers.
>>
>>83629559
And Jesse's really inconsistent 5 o Clock shadow
>>
>>83629579
Maybe he shaves sometimes?
>>
>>83629566
Satan gave him the guns and powers, God just orchestrated the events preceding it
>>
>>83629566

The god of Preacher is very much the god of the old testament. The same god who you could win an argument with over whether or not a city could be saved. The same god who would enter into a bet with satan. The same god who would forget to deliver any moral code to the world before condemning it to death by drowning as a result of breaking rules he hasn't set down yet.

In other words, much like the god of the old testament, this is a god who is capable of being blind, shortsighted, irrational and petty, just like the gods of other religions at the time.

Accidentally sowing the seeds of your own undoing is honestly pretty in keeping with most gods of most religions from around that time, and consistent with the god he'd been writing thoughout this series.
>>
>>83629630
Don't forget this is the same God who was losing to Jacob in wrestling until he kicked him in the nuts.
>>
>>83629515
Life's too short for this, Anon. Get this bug out of your butt and go outside or something. That's exactly what I'm going to do.
>>
>>83629655
That was just an angel, wasn't it?
>>
>>83629594

Okay, but the powers still derived from god, since originally his guns were the sword of the angel of death; they wouldn't have worked without having been infused with that divine will. And of course as you say, god wanted him to have those powers and set things in motion which would have that result.

It's like with the story of Job; while technically of course it was the devil who caused Job all his woes in that tale, it was the inevitable result of events which god set into motion, for his own vain reasons. It's just in this case, it was god himself rather than Job who suffered the consequences of his decisions.
>>
>>83629670
No, the whole point was that he wrestled with God and got the name Israel (struggles with god) from that.
>>
>>83629670

You're both a little wrong. It was god. And not even "god, having taken another form" or anything like that; this was during the point where the writers of the bible still thought of their god the same way the Greeks or Norse thought of theirs; just a really, really powerful guy.

He didn't kick him in the nuts, though; he struck him on the hip and shattered the bone, crippling him for life just to prove some insane point.
>>
File: RCO052_1461903276.jpg (1 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
RCO052_1461903276.jpg
1 MB, 1988x3056
>Literally everyone hates you and your entire life is shit
>HOW DARE YOU TRY TO KILL YOURSELF YOU MIGHT HAVE MADE SOME PEOPLE SAD

wew
>>
>>83629697

That's a really shitty way to go about that. Surely a friendly arm-wrestling match which doesn't end in life-long debilitating injuries could have done the same trick. Honestly, it just comes across as petty, sadistic and cruel.

(Which, again, is pretty consistent with the god which Ennis writes in Preacher)
>>
>>83629717
>He didn't kick him in the nuts, though; he struck him on the hip and shattered the bone, crippling him for life just to prove some insane point.
My mistake. Still, I miss it when gods were people and not concepts.
>>
>>83629697
Looks like it's just the bible being vague.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_wrestling_with_the_angel
>>
>>83628949
>Jesse's hunt for god (which btw, how is he supposed to find god anyway)
Good question. When a preacher loses his faith, how IS he supposed to find God again?
That's the joke.
>>
>>83629741
This is the God who came up with the idea of mutilating dicks for religious reasons.
>>
>>83629741
Like sucking a dudes eye out of his socket for some fucking reason
>>
>>83629757
But LITERALLY, how is he meant to FIND god. Like is he hiding under a rock on earth or something? Why not just go to Mars? Did the god in Preacher create the entire universe or just planet earth
>>
>>83629670
No, God disguised as an angel if I remember.

Anyway, he refused to bless Jacob until Jacob harassed him enough. He got rewarded for being a stubborn ass.

So, if you find God one day, challenge him in some kind of contest, put up a good fight, and you might go on to start a new nation.
>>
>>83629790
Also learn to play the fiddle in case Satan ever offers you something.
>>
>>83629790
>voluntarily being responsible for jews 2.0
Haven't the goyish people suffered enough?
>>
>>83629758
>>83629760

Bingo and bingo. The god of the old testament is pretty big on bodily disfigurement. biting out someone's eye just to make a point is pretty on the mark in terms of established characterization.
>>
>>83629745

Agreed. The new testament god comes across as incredibly bland and impersonal compared to the frothing, insecure maniac in the old testament. A much less interesting character overall.
>>
>>83629718
>everyone hates you
>you might have made some people sad

So not everybody hates you, then.
>>
>>83629778
It's stated literally and there's the Genesis element to consider, but Jesse's actual goal is soul searching. It's what he does through the entire story, going where he goes, doing what he does.
Who's to say he couldn't just say "God, show up right the fuck now" from the get go?
Maybe he couldn't because he had lost his faith.
>>
File: RCO054_1461903276.jpg (1 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
RCO054_1461903276.jpg
1 MB, 1988x3056
>>83629871
yea maybe some chick you talked to for half an hour and maybe your drunken pill popping mother would be a bit sad for a while. The only thing more selfish than suicide is making someone elses suicide all about yourself.
>>
>>83629778
That's basically what Ennis had trouble with. Preacher God created the universe and everything, but he needs to sit on his throne in Heaven to do the really omnipotent stuff, otherwise he's a very low level reality warper. Genesis gave Jesse the power to really fuck God up, he just didn't know how to use it, most of the early series was him trying to work out a way of doing that while God hid like a little bitch.
>>
>>83629855
The OT God prolly only seems a bit unstable because the ancient hebrews would've been polytheistic, then henotheistic, all before monotheistic.

A lot of stuff started to be attributed to Yahweh that wasn't before.
>>
>>83629920
or maybe bad writing. For a comic willing to have a character as overpowered and broken as SoK, the Word of God power is really underutilized.
>>
>>83629942
I've seen a few lectures on that stuff, how he used to have a wife and everything.
>>
File: jesus serves.jpg (11 KB, 250x202) Image search: [Google]
jesus serves.jpg
11 KB, 250x202
>>83629790
>>83629802
Olde timey supernatural entities respected mad skillz.
>>
>>83628623
Preacher's "God" is pretty pathetic as far as cosmic beings go. He probably isn't even Marvel Odin level. As far as I'm concerned, it wasn't really God that SoK shot. Rather, it was the throne that was God all along, since that was ultimately the source of "God's" power. The Spawn comics have done something similar where the being calling itself God isn't really God.
I'm pretty sure if SoK went up against an actual Supreme Being (Presence/TOAA) or even any type of high-tier cosmic, he'd get his shit pushed in. Even certain non-cosmics could probably kill him.
>>
>>83629986
You're thinking of power as Kirby dots and zappy beams of energy.
The power in question here is verbal. God engineers a Saint of Killers, who represents the act of killing. That's what he is, that's what he does. No matter who's on the other end.
While at the same time it's perfectly fine for God to die because he's found to have no purpose after creation. He started things with his great power, but he developed a self sustaining system.

Actually this reminds me a bit of Ponce Stibbons trying to teach God about evolution in Discworld's "Last Continent".
>>
>>83629986
>He probably isn't even Marvel Odin level.
He was up there with Dr. Manhatten. But he was a golden haired borderline personality disorder case instead of an autistic blue cue ball.

The Saint of Killers was just too OP.
>>
>>83630065
He had to teach the God of Evolution about reproduction when he kept trying to Natural Design elephants with wheels instead of legs. And when he finally grasped the concept his idea of the perfect lifeform was the cockroach.
>>
>>83628781
>the edgiest guy with the most guns who always wins.
read Hitman, The Boys, and Hellblazer
>>
>>83630075
>>83630065
Outside of the chair, it's clear "God" had barely any power, so he was essentially like someone using the Infinity Gauntlet or a Cosmic Cube. SoK is overrated outside his own universe anyway, any speedster could kill him just by disarming him and shooting him with his own guns, let alone any abstract cosmic.
>>
File: RCO019_1461946649.jpg (461 KB, 1074x1650) Image search: [Google]
RCO019_1461946649.jpg
461 KB, 1074x1650
tbqph the bonus issues that ignore the stupid ass main plot are the best
>>
The thing about Ennis is that the gore and lewd comedy is really just dressing. Like adding pickles to a burger. You could take them out and you'd still have something good underneath. Thing is, yeah, not everybody likes pickles in their shit.

But he writes some good shit. His war stories are a must for anyone who thinks he only writes shit like horsecock.
>>
>>83630245
oh Christ, this guy was such a fag
>>
File: Persona 4 Girls Laughing.jpg (523 KB, 1000x708) Image search: [Google]
Persona 4 Girls Laughing.jpg
523 KB, 1000x708
>Butthurt Christfags

Your fictional character's power levels aren't set in stone you sissy.
>>
>>83628623

God made that gun (well, originally it was a sword) so that it could kill anything.

So... really?

But yes, Garth Ennis IS a hack. But 'Preacher' is probably his best work. Well, and 'Hitman'.
>>
File: sharetemp.jpg (1 MB, 1680x2576) Image search: [Google]
sharetemp.jpg
1 MB, 1680x2576
Did somebody say Arseface?
>>
sharetemp.jpg
1 MB, 1680x2576
Anyway, here's Wonderwall.
>>
sharetemp.jpg
1 MB, 1680x2576
>>
>>83630825

>Bill Hicks

Surprise surprise.
>>
>>83629056

Yeah, he's basically One Punch Man, if Saitama could one-punch you from the far side of a battlefield and never miss. His role in the story is not to be defeated but to be avoided at all costs. He's literally the embodiment of the certainty of death itself.
>>
>>83628677
He couldn't kill God on the throne
He himself said that if God sat on the throne then nobody and nothing could stop him
>>
sharetemp.jpg
1 MB, 1680x2576
>>83630895
Since you asked so politely...
>>
>>83628781
>And in Ennis world, it's the edgiest guy with the most guns who always wins.

This is almost never true of an Ennis story. The edgiest guys almost always get their comeuppance and find themselves in grim and terrible ends.

Even the saint himself, in the end, doesn't really "win"; I doubt he got any real satisfaction or pleasure or happiness out of killing god; it was just something that he felt needed doing. And given the way that god had behaved throughout the series, he was quite likely right, but I doubt he got much comfort from it.
>>
File: sharetemp.jpg (949 KB, 1680x2576) Image search: [Google]
sharetemp.jpg
949 KB, 1680x2576
>>
File: sharetemp.jpg (909 KB, 1680x2576) Image search: [Google]
sharetemp.jpg
909 KB, 1680x2576
>>
File: sharetemp.jpg (986 KB, 1680x2576) Image search: [Google]
sharetemp.jpg
986 KB, 1680x2576
>>
File: sharetemp.jpg (931 KB, 1680x2576) Image search: [Google]
sharetemp.jpg
931 KB, 1680x2576
>>
>>83630154
>Outside of the chair
He could bring them back from the dead, set them ablaze with a word, invade dreams, teleport or at least had unbeatable mobility, and become the hulk, etc. He actually created everything besides himself. Supposedly that included the throne and it seems he is the only one that can use it's powers. In a way, it was like creating a rock so heavy he couldn't lift - his creation was so great it made him smaller.

SoK can survive a nuclear strike without a scratch. He is basically unmovable. You can't disarm him unless he wants you to.
>>
>>83629056
>he's literally the most overpowered character in all of fiction
>What is Black Bolt
>>
>>83631077
>>83631122
>>83631137
>>83631154
>>83631168

God, I hate Hicks. Wow. How utterly unsurprising that Ennis likes him.

What is this infatuation that some people have with the guy?
>>
>>83631288

Middle-tier, at best.
>>
>>83631197
>He could bring them back from the dead, set them ablaze with a word, invade dreams, teleport or at least had unbeatable mobility, and become the hulk, etc.

Silver Surfer has most of those powers. Also surviving nukes isn't a very high-end feat as far as comics go, that doesn't make you unmovable.
I recall a part in the Preacher comics where it's basically stated that "God" wouldn't have been able to have been injured if he was sitting on the throne, which clearly shows there's a limit to SoK's power and shows that there are things he can't kill. He isn't anywhere near as strong as he's said to be and against an actual omnipotent/high-tier cosmic he'd be slaughtered.
>>
>>83631412

...Did this really devolve into a power level thread?
>>
>>83631497
Could Goku kill God?
>>
>>83631412
Dude. Power-levels don't scale that way.

God sitting beats Sok beats God standing beats almost everything else.

Preacher universe operates under certain rules, you don't get power level readings over 9000 or shit like that. It's like you are looking for a match-up to OP Man. It just doesn't work that way.
>>
>>83631412

SoK did kill Satan.
>>
>>83629110

>But when you're reading it for the first time, it shows you that this shit is for real.

Yeah, I remember Kieron Gillen bringing this up while discussing the arc he wrote for Badlands.
>>
>>83629388
didnt he work on some of the hellblazer comics?
>>
>>83631520
Considering he's stronger than every god he ever met? Yes.
>>
>>83631386
it was the 90's - Bill Hicks was THE counter culture comedian of the day

Remember, this was before the internet (high speed) and writers could signal their interests through their writing.

If you have any of the single issue when they had letter columns, you'll find that ennis played a game with his readers.

He put a line from a movie he liked in every issue and challenge readers to identify it.

Life before the internet was grand mainly because it moved slower.
>>
>>83631801
>He put a line from a movie he liked in every issue and challenge readers to identify it.
I wish more people did this. It's like reading One Piece, there's references to something in almost everything, from how characters look, to their names, to architecture, to straight up shots from non-mainstream stuff, hidden messages and shit.
>>
>>83631887
Too bad one piece is awful hideous shit.
>>
>>83631412

>SoK's power and shows that there are things he can't kill.

There was that early scene (that I think Ennis now regrets) where Cassidy survived being shot, since the Angel of Death's weapons apparently can't effect the undead.

The presence of vampires felt off, as I think their the only supernatural thing besides Heaven and Hell (which we never learn their relation to) in this. They're just these weird anomalous things presumably only there because Ennis wanted to have an old Irish character.
>>
>>83631773
Just don't hit him with a laser beam.
>>
>>83631913
Nice hook, shame there's no bait on it.
>>
>>83631974
Not even surprised you think anyone disliking a shitty show like one piece would be considered bait.
>>
I haven't read Preacher in at least a decade now and I don't know if I want to go back and do so again because I DID enjoy it at the time when I was much younger and a different person. I think I'd rather just remember it fondly and move on. I remember some great moments I don't mind admitting I found extremely badass back then as a wide-eyed comic neophyte that today would probably make me cringe.

Is it fair to say it was a creature of its time (or at least it showed you of a vision OF a certain time) but that time has passed?
>>
>>83631927
Every Ennis comic is an exercise in how he can jam the IRA into the story
>>
>>83631887
yeah, but this one line.

Ennis loves American pop-culture especially movies so it could be from just about anywhere. But good places to look were Westerns and War films - Ennis true loves and major influence on Preacher

They were really tough and sometimes never identified. It was a pretty exciting when one was correctly identified.
>>
>>83628968
This is what people who shit on Ennis don't understand. They only see the surface level of a work and can't grasp the subtleties of good character writing. But I guess that's to be expected from someone who likes a substanceless 'check out this great idea I had' writer like Morrison.
>>
>>83632169
It's pretty cringey at times, but still has those roflol moments.

it was a character comedy at heart. Laughing at and with the cast.

Herr Starr is still my favorite of the series
>>
>>83632282
>sudden swerve to shit on Morrison out of nowhere
But why tho
>>
>>83632282
Morrison?
don't you mean Millar or Bendis
>>
>>83632308
Cause he mentioned liking Animal Man. But yes, it was pretty irrelevant, I take it back.
>>
>>83632484
>not liking Animal Man
>>
>>83632283
TBQH, it ending was a bit of a let down back then.

Not sure anyone really cared about the series at that point. just the zombies coming in to buy it in order to have a complete run
>>
>>83629110
>they actually murder a child in the comic itself

Why do the adults get raped, but the kid just gets ripped to shreds?
>>
>>83629388
>>83629394
Dillon became really lazy later on and pretty much mastered Frank-Face by the end. Shame, because the characters actually looked different in the beginning.
>>
>>83632397
That would mean they had a great idea in the first place.
>>
>>83628962
>>83628962
>fuck you fag a shadow showing a different thing than the thing that's casting it is total cliche

fixt
>>
File: RCO019.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2969) Image search: [Google]
RCO019.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2969
OP here, started reading Crossed, just got to the part where all the infected soak their bullets in their cum (piss?) to infect people they shoot

Because that's a sentence that I just typed.

P fun to be honest
>>
>>83631122
>greatest goddamn comedian
Yeah, sure, Ennis. That's not comedy Hicks does, it's standing on a stage and ranting, like Carlin. It's not funny, it's YouTube before YouTube existed. You want comedy, go watch Robin Williams' stand-up material, go watch Richard Jeni, Jeff Dunham, Gabriel Iglesias, George Lopez. Hell, anyone except Hicks and Carlin.
>>
>>83628623
Nice JRPG plot
>>
it's basically that paradox of could god make a rock so heavy he himself couldn't lift it. I like that it ended that way because it's basically about how we don't need god/religion anymore, humans are becoming as powerful as a god anyway and we never created life solely to worship us, cept maybe dogs but they love it
>>
>>83633386
did you deliberately name 4 of the worst comedians
>>
>>83633386
Dude you can fuck right off for everything you believe
>>
File: 5222440108490.jpg (23 KB, 500x327) Image search: [Google]
5222440108490.jpg
23 KB, 500x327
>>83629871
Her point was more that he was climing the point was he was blowing his brains out when nobody care when the fact of that matter is that's life. You want to blow your brains out? It's not they don't care it's you don't care. You might put that because of a shitty family or not getting a person to stay in your life like you wanted but it's the fact that you just punch your own ticket because you decided it wasn't worth it

In short he can't say he was blowing his brains out because "nobody care" he was blowing his brains out because he stop caring, other people be damned.
>>
>>83633428
>>83633481
All these tender heinies hurting like mad.
>>
>>83633600
cringe
>>
>>83628623
Did you actually read the book? Preacher's God isn't "God Allmighty, omniscient Creator of all" but rather a fraud. A small god that fooled his people to make himself look bigger than he was (and abused them for his own amusement), being mighty and omniscient only when sitting on his throne.
>>
>>83629522
Ok, you got me curious, please explain your point.
Not same anon btw
>>
>>83629522
Ok, you got me curious, please explain your point.
Not same anon btw
>>
File: 1453215583180.jpg (21 KB, 400x418) Image search: [Google]
1453215583180.jpg
21 KB, 400x418
>>83633780
>>83633781
>>
File: 87541-150609-god.jpg (47 KB, 400x309) Image search: [Google]
87541-150609-god.jpg
47 KB, 400x309
>>83633753
Don't forget needy and insecure like a teenager on the internet. You must love him, you will love him.
>>
File: 1462298483888.png (94 KB, 225x247) Image search: [Google]
1462298483888.png
94 KB, 225x247
>>83630825
>>83630895
>know nothing of him
>google his last performance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2y9uZwf6CQ
>first minute is joking wanting to kill flavor of the month (at the time) country singer.
>The whole thing is just rambling about topical points with no real jokes and ranting/lecturing
>google other videos
>they are all like that
>most of this shit is just life 101
I want my wasted half hour back.
I'm guessing most of his fans were/are under age as fuck
>>
>>83629670
Retcon.
>>
>Omniscient being

>Doesn't see this coming ahead of time

Why?

Also, how did the Devil forge weapons to kill a vastly more powerful being?
>>
>>83633386
Is this some sort of joke
>>
>>83634057
He was like a less self aware Lewis Black with more emphasis on authority is manipulated by higher beings
>>
>>83633753

Who made the throne?
>>
>>83634187
Ennis has stated God got rather board and pooled all his overpower skills in the thrown to make things interesting.
Like a pride fill being he didn't want to be face with the reality that he really should take that power back as a safety measure when genesis bolted.
>>
>>83634230
Ennis
>>
>>83633865
I just want to know how Custer, Starr and Arseface mirror each other man
>>
>>83631773
>Considering he's stronger than every god he ever met?

Not Beerus.
>>
>>83628623
the saint of killers isn't liimited by physicality
he is murder, in physical, spiritual, even platonic form
if it exists he can kill it
>>
>>83629855
That's why we have Jesus in the NT
Really charismatic dude. He was like that guy from school that was just nice with everybody
>>
>>83634057

At the time he was pretty damn funny but like most comedians of the 80's/90's his material has aged poorly.
>>
>>83628828
Is that MAXIMUM FRANK?
>>
>>83634679
He is but one of many that have tapped into the Frankforce.
>>
>>83628914
Millar is usually hated on /co/ for two things.
First one the problems he had with Morrison and second being Millar more interested on selling stories to hollywood than making a comic.
While I agree with those poins I still like his work even his bad stuff is so absurd that is funny. But what he does best like anybody does, is making heart warming characters and stories. The best of his authority run are those little moments, like the previous doctor going full lex all stars, the wedding and other things. That or stories like Superior, Starlight and Huck
>>
File: 1459075796297.jpg (465 KB, 1024x1593) Image search: [Google]
1459075796297.jpg
465 KB, 1024x1593
>>83634711
What happens if you get the FRANKforce?
>>
>>83628677
Cant kill undead
>>
>>83634187
Because Preacher's god wasn't more powerful, just in a better position. Why would an all-poweful-god need to orchestrate the creation of the Saint of Killers, to kill the devil? He could simply kill him with a thought. Instead he doesn't dare to openly raise a finger and let's others do his dirty work.
>>
>>83628718
>If there are any negative elements of a story it's shit
Absolutits go
>>
>>83634679
He really franked the frank, this time.
>>
File: 1456013137013.jpg (31 KB, 353x353) Image search: [Google]
1456013137013.jpg
31 KB, 353x353
>>83628868
>its bad after reading but good during reading
>arseface isn't fucking hilarious
>>
>>83628915
I hope Rogen and Franco play them in the show
>>
>>83634876
>Story is shit
>I'm to to ignore that because it appeals to my sense of edge
>You just hate it being negative!
>>
>>83634786
>Millar is usually hated on /co/ for two things.

Millar is hated for being the edgiest edgelord that ever edged around the edge of Edgetown. He's the very definition of "OW THE EDGE" and incorporates everything cynical and awful in comics.

>But what he does best like anybody does, is making heart warming characters and stories

Mark Millar has never made a heartwarming anything. "Heartwarming" is the complete opposite of what Mark Millar does. All his characters are either psychopaths, or future victims of psychopaths.
>>
Why do they call him "arseface" in Texas? who in Texas says "arse"?
>>
>>83634967
I agree the ending is bad but that doesn't mean over all that its a funny comic with good characters.
>>
>>83634973
>Mark Millar has never made a heartwarming anything. "Heartwarming" is the complete opposite of what Mark Millar does. All his characters are either psychopaths, or future victims of psychopaths.
Casual. Fucking faggots never read Adventures of Superman or Swamp Thing
>>
>>83633326
wouldn't that burn off?
>>
>>83635020
Cassidy the Irish Vampire named him
Didn't read the comic sport?
>>
File: 1461467266024.jpg (118 KB, 960x952) Image search: [Google]
1461467266024.jpg
118 KB, 960x952
>>83628623
Better questions:
Why didn't God's Word f God stop SoK but Jesse did (issue 3 I think?)
How the hell did Cassidy survive being shot by him but God doesn't?
>>
>>83634973
>Millar is hated for being the edgiest edgelord that ever edged around the edge of Edgetown

But what about Garth Ennis?
>>
>>83629509
>no and no
lmao
>>
>>83635079
Yes.
It would completely evaporate
This is also another reason why Bullets made from ice would never work.
>>
>>83634973
Well I'm saying aa lot of his stuff isn't edgy because it is. But one of the main reasons he even admits is that he doesn't know how to write bad guys and only when he makes edgy and over the top characters it seems for him like they are bad guys or antiheroes.
> never made heartwarming stories
False. Adventures of superman, superior, Huck, and Jupiter Legacy seem to be cheerful
>>
>>83635173
I'm not saying*
>>
>>83635112
>Cassidy
Maybe where she's a vampire she is already "dead"
no that makes no sense because his guns shouldn't have done shit to the forces of Heaven or Hell since it's stated they are not alive by our standards.
>>
>>83635147
>This is also another reason why Bullets made from ice would never work.
Make it saboted so friction from the barrel won't melt it and fire it from an airgun.
>>
>>83633326
Jesus, that old guy is ripped af
>>
>>83634939
It kinda fits desu
But it looks like the show is going a different route, I don't know why, so unless they randomly go south I don't think we would see them
>>
>>83635128
Garth Ennis is a great character writer when he hits his stride like with Preacher, Punisher, and The Boys.
>>
>>83635231
Mythbusters tried it
didn't work
>>
>>83634269
The way I remember it, god was responsible for engineering the series of events that gave birth to genesis.
Preacher's god gets off on being worshiped, and by creating a being that could actually endanger him and getting it to worship him as well, it would be that much more satisfying.
>>
>>83629130
Woudlnt the adamantium bones fuck up the roller and keep Wolvie's brain intact?

His heart and other organs would go pop, but that usually doesn't phase him for very long.
>>
>>83635345
Damn. Too much friction from the air?
>>
>>83635173
>Jupiter's Legacy
>cheerful
So have you not read it or
>>
>>83635404
More likely that his bones would be crushed into the asphalt. Has anyone tried just sticking his bones into concrete so his flesh would have no room to grow back?
>>
>>83635404
Yes, but it doesn't matter how strong your bones are if they're pressed into the ground several tons of metal machinery.
>>
>>83635472
>>83635473
SOunds like it would turn him into a skeleton and hamburger ground into the floor.

But unless you pour acid all over that mess, Wolvie could probably heal from it.
>>
>>83635472
https://youtu.be/oUg_xOsvFwM?t=178

It's reasonable to say that something like this could happen if Adamantium is really that invincible. A Logan shaped indent in the ground and roller
>>
>>83635531
He's probably healed from worse thanks to snikt-force.
>>
>>83635556
>Snikt Pack
>Route Snikty Snikt

please dont make me remember
>>
>>83634973
>Mark Millar has never made a heartwarming anything. "Heartwarming" is the complete opposite of what Mark Millar does.

Go read Superior, Jupiter's Legacy and Stardust. Apologize to everyone for filling their screens with nonsense when you are done.
>>
>>83635548
>A Logan shaped indent in the ground and roller
More like a roughly logan-silhouetted mush on the ground, and a metal logan-skeleton shaped indent in the ground. Indestructible bones or not, it's likely gonna mess up the alignment of his overall skeleton shape. That must have been quite a time coming back from.
>>
Preacher is kinda dumb that is 100% its charm.

Also it is early in the Garth Ennis fully and completely defines macho bullshit.
>>
>>83635112
>Why didn't God's Word f God stop SoK but Jesse did (issue 3 I think?)

God specifically arranged for Genesis to be more powerful than god himself. That was the whole point; he wanted there to be something in the universe more powerful than himself so that he could get that more-powerful-than-god entity to worship him. It would please his ego more than having an entire race of finite mortal beings begging and grovelling before him. One can thus presume that Jesse, with Genesis's power, could do things god could not.
>>
>>83637096
Unfortunately this was never explored and Jesse never tapped into Genesis's power beyond learning the truth about it and the Saint of Killers via trippy visions.
>>
It really shows how /co/ has changed and the influx of edgy teenagers.

I remember when Preacher and Crossed were criticized, and rightly so, now they are cherished and treated like good works.
>>
>>83637348
Obviously because the only reasons people could like this book is because they are both younger and less mature than I perceive myself.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.