[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I just got done reading fables #1-150 over about 2 weeks and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8
File: Fables_Vol_1_136_Textless.jpg (840 KB, 1500x2258) Image search: [Google]
Fables_Vol_1_136_Textless.jpg
840 KB, 1500x2258
So I just got done reading fables #1-150 over about 2 weeks and I can say that I'm pretty dissatisfied (I'd rate a 7/10 but it could've been better) and I need something to read to make up for it. It's probably the only DC comic I ever cared for (not milked and actually original) but I'd like to read some original Marvel or Dark Horse now.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>83627507
read it again
then read it again

then read Y: the last man
>>
Nexus
>>
>>83627507
Does Dark Horse and Marvel even have books like the Killing Joke and Watchmen? Stuff that are just really good reads on their own that you don't have to worry about continuity or the overall universe?
>>
>>83627507
>Dark Horse
Hellboy. All of it.
>>
>>83627555
Are you talking about stuff that are as good as Killing Joke and Watchmen? Or are they just part of your examples of good standalone comics?
The former can be really rare, it's Alan Moore's masterpiece after all, but I'm pretty certain there are plenty of later in Dark Horse. The company is all about indie and writer-owned brands.

>>83627507
7/10 sounds about right, maybe I'll give it an 8. It started off really fresh but Mr Dark chapters got dragged for too long. Most things after are kind of bland, except for Cubs in Toyland. That shit is brutal.
>>
>>83627507
If you considered Fable being part of DC, why not check out other original titles from Vertigo?
>>
>>83627642
Both in general. I never see Marvel or Dark Horse stand alones getting talked about like Killing Joke or Watchmen.
>>
>>83627507
>and I can say that I'm pretty dissatisfied
At least I hope you came out loving Israel like they expect you to.
>>
>>83627754
You shouldn't let that bother you. Personally I dislike The Killing Joke and think Watchmen is okay. Then again I read things for their entertainment value, not for their cultural significance.
>>
Joe the Barbarian
Astro City
Bone
Dial H
Nextwave
Promethea
Greyshirt: Indigo Sunset

Wait.

What are you looking for exactly?
>>
>>83627903
He obviously likes Alan Moore, so I'd recommend Saga of the Swamp Thing.
>>
>>83627803
LOL It doesn't bother me I still enjoy all Dark Horse, Marvel, and DC overall, I was just hoping someone could possibly drop a gem on me.

Silver Surfer Requiem was pretty great.
>>
File: 2911541-darien2 (1).jpg (456 KB, 1117x1038) Image search: [Google]
2911541-darien2 (1).jpg
456 KB, 1117x1038
>>83627642
Cubs in Toyland still hurts. Jesus Christ.

I thought Fables was excellent, though you're right - Mr. Dark dragged on and by the end, Willingham had no idea where to go. It seemed like a lot of plots were arbitrarily dropped, and the ending nonsensical. Rose wasn't a particularly wonderful Fable by the end, but her "war" was absolute stupidity. Her solution more so.

I wish he'd just let others write for him. I could read Fables until I die. I've read every single bit of Fables out there (including the various spin-offs, one-offs, books, and novels). My appetite hungers and if he's not up to the challenge, surely someone in DC's stable is. Also Cindy is best girl.
>>
>>83627935
Oh i'm not OP btw. I'm just some random poster.
>>
>>83627957
I know. That's why I said "he" not "you".
>>
>>83627969
I was saying i'm:
>>83627938
>>83627754
>>83627555
And i'm not OP.
>>
>>83627955
I'll give it a 9/10 if it ended after The Great War.
Sure the [unsolicited opinions on israel] and the Arabian Fables left me a little bit speechless. but boy the rest of the stuff, before Mr Dark, is so inspiring and interesting I couldn't pull my eyes away.
Bellflower is the best girl, she can lure me to her gingerbread house anytime.
>>
>>83627955
brah i legit fell in love with cindy when i was reading fables.
>>
>>83628075
I see.
>>
>>83627507
been a long time Fables fan and I have to agree. The ending was pretty crap and it left me sitting there thinking, man, I am aboslutely not satisfied. There were no nice tie offs and it kinda just lolled about and didn't hit as well as the first few issues. The whole [bigby dying and then coming back only to not be a real threat sorta thing irritated me] They could have tied it off nice and neat but dragged us about. Not happy.
>>
File: fab.gif (2 MB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
fab.gif
2 MB, 636x358
>>83627775
What's this Israel meme that keeps popping up in Fables threads? I've only read a handful of volumes, but I'm really not getting the simile
>>
>>83628559
No Bigsby, bad!
>>
>>83628559
Fabletown is Israel.

Bigby makes a speech to the Enemy about how much he loves Israel for being awesome, and having a shit ton of weapons, and being willing to bomb the shit out of everyone around them that "wants them dead".
>>
>>83628559
In an issue, Bill Willingham had Bigby describing the rebellious Fables as Israelis who would retaliate any threat violently.
Personally I thought it wasn't that out of character because Bigby had a history of fighting in wars for fun. His worldview is rather primal, unforgiving, survival of the fittest so the readers don't always have to agree with him. The problem is the scene has him as a major protagonist preaching at the ultimate villain of the series so it became one of these in-your-face kind of message.
I didn't read any interview so I don't really know what Willingham think. However some of his beliefs are rather transparent in the books so you can probably tell he's a little bit...well......
>>
File: frau.png (116 KB, 200x233) Image search: [Google]
frau.png
116 KB, 200x233
>>83628559
>>83628625
>>83628706

> Literally title a chapter "THE ISRAEL ANALOGY"

That one gets a little silly, specially when their situation at the time couldn't really be compared with any modern armed conflict, and there's no actual ethnic component to it at all, as they can pick sides and their territories are neatly encapsulated, with no border skirmishes or anything

It's his book and he's entitled to do whatever he wants, but he *is* able to do better in representing issues in a less black and white fashion than he did in there; for example, at some point he makes clear the Fables consider abortions a pretty shitty deal, presumably expressing his own views, but then he heavily implies Frau Totenkinder (for whom he obviously harbors a major creator's boner) uses them to fuel her powers
>>
>>83629039
It was obviously going to be a major plot point at some point until DC made it very clear neither prolife/prochoice (the abortion bombing story in Manhunter) were going to get any say on DC's dime.
>>
File: Fables81.jpg (697 KB, 900x1350) Image search: [Google]
Fables81.jpg
697 KB, 900x1350
>>83627507
I stopped reading when James Jean dropped the cover work; it looked like as good a cutting line as any. For what I hear, I haven't missed a great deal
>>
>>83628094
Seriously this. I dropped it after the end of the war.
>>
File: JUL070303._SX312_QL80_TTD_.jpg (35 KB, 312x479) Image search: [Google]
JUL070303._SX312_QL80_TTD_.jpg
35 KB, 312x479
Good Prince arc is still best
>>
File: 3173689-fru+2.jpg (17 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
3173689-fru+2.jpg
17 KB, 320x320
>>83628094
I kept expecting her to be Snow and Rose's grandmother or something. It's crazy, but I half expected those two to be Rapunzel's missing daughters since time is wonky between the Mundy and the homelands.

I distinctly remember the Fairy Godmother involved in this crazy theory, but I don't remember how.

Also poor Ozma, poor Blue. :(
>>
>>83628559
One of the characters in the comic is pro-Israel, and /pol/ has been endlessly butthurt by it.
>>
>>83631558
Yeah, Ozma had a rough deal.
>>
>>83632032
>/pol/
>liking Israel
>>
>>83634216
Ignore me I'm fucking retarded for some reason I thought you said one of the characters was anti-Israel and /pol/ was angry, I guess this is what I get for not sleeping at all last night I swear my reading comprehension is perfectly fine normally. God, I feel stupid.
>>
>>83632032
Fuck I'm slow today I meant for this >>83634319 to be a response after I realized my first response was idiotic but I ended up responding to my first response.
>>
>>83634478
I too will bump this thread.
>>
>>83627507
You have to be into the universe to read Marvel. They don't have anything like Vertigo unless you go back to Epic in which case you should read Metropol, Dreadstar, Groo, and Alien Legion. They also have the Icon line but well all those comics are garbage except the Brubaker stuff which is at Image now.

Dark Horse has lots of good stuff, try Hellboy and Concrete.
>>
File: xfactor.jpg (381 KB, 550x852) Image search: [Google]
xfactor.jpg
381 KB, 550x852
>>83627507
>12 hours ago
>I just got done reading fables #1-150
>I'd like to read some original Marvel

Chances are slim that you're going to read this post, but give Peter David's X-Factor a shot.

Read the Madrox mini and then X-Factor v2 1-50, 200-262. At around issue 30, there's also two one-shots you might want to read.
Messiah Complex event interrupts rather early, but I don't think you actually need to read the event to keep following X-Factor. Just don't get a heart attack when one of the covers is suddenly "Messiah Complex Part 5" or something. Just keep reading X-Factor.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.