[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DC Rebirth thoughts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 185
Thread images: 27
File: eboydvoc78hhm4ubmsug.png (1 MB, 1024x757) Image search: [Google]
eboydvoc78hhm4ubmsug.png
1 MB, 1024x757
So with the second week landing, how have you liked/disliked the issues so far?

I think all of it has ranged form okay to great, although my biggest gripe with it all is that they're all just kind of previews.

Also the best one yet is Green Arrow and you're a fool for thinking otherwise.
>>
I have honestly enjoyed everything so far. Some range toward meh tier but there was at least something redeeming from every book.
>>
>>83622746
>I think all of it has ranged form okay to great, although my biggest gripe with it all is that they're all just kind of previews.
That's about how I feel. I haven't been turned off by anything but none of them have been super exciting

I liked this week more than last week overall though, Green Arrow aside.
>>
>>83622746
pretty much agree with what you said

Feel bad for Action Comics though, I don't have not much faith in Jurgens
>>
>>83622746
Been away from comics. When did Green Arrow drop?

Also, what is this I'm hearing about John Constantine being back? Like, the old John? Is it for good or just for the duration of a mini-series and then he's gone forever again?
>>
>>83622973
>When did Green Arrow drop?
last week

>Also, what is this I'm hearing about John Constantine being back? Like, the old John?
I don't think so? He's probably still deaged
>>
>>83622746

I haven't outright hated anything yet, but the Rebirth issues so far just feel like a lot of exposition, monologues and set-up.

I really liked Flash's though, it seems like Williamson has a great grip on the concept of the characters even though the art was wonky.
>>
File: conjob.jpg (202 KB, 600x922) Image search: [Google]
conjob.jpg
202 KB, 600x922
>>83622973
I don't think Vertigo John was canon in main DCverse.

He looked hella young in Brightest Day Swamp Thing mini
>>
File: d60-600x344.png (277 KB, 600x344) Image search: [Google]
d60-600x344.png
277 KB, 600x344
>>83623113
>>83623289
A comic is coming out called Constantine: The Hellblazer, with a "Rebirth" after it at least for some issues.
>>
>>83623347
well, time will tell

and I'm dumb enough to give them another shot
>>
>>83623347
There's been a Constantine book consistently for a while now

The current one is called Constantine: The Hellblazer and it's pretty good
>>
>>83623380
>Constantine: The Hellblazer and it's pretty good

ehhh...
>>
>>83623380
I'm curious what (if anything) it means that they're giving it a "Rebirth" subheading though.
>>
File: F7bttaW.webm (639 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
F7bttaW.webm
639 KB, 720x404
>>83622928
Yeah Action comics was kind of weird, I mean it was gripping sure but Superman just kind totally hating Luthor and not giving him a semblance of a chance just threw me off.
>>83623278
This. I'm more excited for the Flash than i have been in years.
>>
>>83623412
it just means it's part of the relaunch
>>
>>83623412
It means they'll focus on establishing the status quo going forward for that character
>>
>>83623425
>This. I'm more excited for the Flash than i have been in years.

It feels even more refreshing coming off of Venditti's run that ranged from mediocre to outright shit.
>>
>>83623471
>mediocre
I think even that is being generous.
>>
File: internal screaming.gif (862 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
internal screaming.gif
862 KB, 500x300
>>83623471
>2 long arcs of evil speedster from the future as the villain
>in a row
>>
File: 1459048263996.png (427 KB, 670x286) Image search: [Google]
1459048263996.png
427 KB, 670x286
>>83623471
>Flash finally gets a decent writer
>Venditti still on GL
>>
Pretty much agree OP. They all feel like extended previews, which is fine for one-shots. I still liked pretty much all of them, even the worst ones (probably Action Comics as my least favorite for me personally) were still fairly enjoyable.

The one thing I dislike about them though is that a lot of these have fill-in artists, so it doesn't really do a great job of being a preview if you can't tell what the art's going to be like now does it?

Either way, after reading 9 (or however many there are so far) books and coming away from all of them enjoying them on some level is a ridiculous feat compared to how often the big two usually pump out crappy/mediocre titles.
>>
>Green Arrow: Rebirth
"SJW" Green Arrow but not really/tier. Also gets together with Black Canary, best part of the book.

>Batman Rebirth
Calendar Man is actually interesting now and hope he comes back in a later story arc

>Superman Rebirth
Doug Manhke's art makes my dick hard but the story was over all decent.

>Green Lanterns Rebirth
Geoff Johns still wanking over his established mythos with Hal Jordan but Sam Humphries is setting up some interesting stuff.

>Aquaman Rebirth
Aquaman is a political figure now, yippe?

>Wonder Woman Rebirth
Art is god awful and story is convoluted as fuck especially for a set up.

>Flash Rebirth
My dick is rock hard over all this Barry and Wally having a dialogue with eachother. Also only Rebirth issue so far to be a direct continuation of the DC Rebirth one-shot. Very excited for what's to come.

>Action Comics
Old Supes is a jerk and everybody loves him.
Lex is just trying to do good but also doing it for all the wrong reasons.
DOOMSDAY AGAIN?!

>Detective Comics
Tynion writing is bland as fuck like always, only interesting character in the team so far is Clayface. I'm not buying a book every two weeks just for one character who only got 3 pages so far.
>>
I've read Flash Rebirth and Green Arrow Rebirth. What else is worth picking up?
>>
>>83623728

I thought Superman and Aquaman were both pretty good.
>>
>>83623728
Green Lanterns if you're a fan of the Red Lanterns. Also Superman Rebirth if not for just the couple of spreads that are just homages to the original Superman Doomsday story. It sounds lame but those three spreads alone are worth the $3.
>>
>>83622746
Flash was the best, Tec has the best art, Wonder Woman was the weakest book so far.
>>
>>83623843
>Wonder Woman was the weakest book so far.
It was very exposition-heavy, but it has me very, very hype.

I want my old Wondy back.
>>
>>83623781
Computer monitors don't do how good these books look in person any justice, just check the corners I've gotten 2 book where the spine is cut along the top from 2 different stores.

Storywise the big beats continuing the Rebirth story happen in Action, Flash and Detective
>>
File: flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg (157 KB, 908x1000) Image search: [Google]
flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg
157 KB, 908x1000
>>83623781
>If your a fan of the Red Lanterns.

They fucked the Reds. Bleez and Rankor were awesome and they fucked it all up. Rankor gets killed of panal and Bleez is on Atrocitous dick again, even though she outright hates him. Just fuck my Canon up.

Also I'm sure there going to fuck up the good will the Sinestro Corps had just to let Hal have his number one bad guy again.
>>
>>83623289

He was, but Geoff Johns is stupid. Either way you can explain his young looks on the demon blood magic.
>>
Justice League #51 when?
>>
>>83624127
Next week, apparently.

>>83537391
>>
>>83624166
Oh they rescheduled it. thanks
>>
It all looks promising so far. I like that they're putting their best foot forward and allowing their "core" books get momentum before setting other things up.

One interesting thing that I've just now picked up:

There seem to be 3 main groups at the moment for the Rebirth books.

* Batbooks + WW (aka Mark Doyle is group editor)
* Super+GLbooks (Berganza is group editor)
* "Big Leaguers" (Brian Cunningham is group editor) -- currently has Flash, Green Arrow, and Aquaman, all of which are my favorites coming out of Rebirth

If I'm being perfectly honest, I'm most surprised at how....imperfect Doyle's books are right now. Out of all of them, you'd expect a lot more cohesion and initial thrust from the Batbooks, but: Batman Rebirth was mediocre as hell, WW did nothing at all except set things up and wag its finger at the two New52 WW runs. 'Tec might have been the only highlight, and even that was just because of Barrows' art.

Berganza's "high flyers" have been a lot better -- or, at least, better than one would expect. Superman and Action Comics avoided big missteps and went for a solid, simple storylines (Superman is really dead; somehow a different Clark Kent is alive; Mr Oz is back; and he's brought back Doomsday, for whatever reason). Green Lanterns somehow came out as a non-trainwreck, and the recent preview for the real #1 looks just as strong.

Cunningham's miscellaneous Leaguers are probably the most guilty of retreading plots/characterizations, but they all have stronger creative teams than they've had in a while. The writers are particularly notable, and the stories they've crafted so far for the characters (GA's back-to-left story; the tragic tale of Aquaman's place in the world; Flash's juggling of responsibilities) are as poignant as ever. Plus, it'll be interesting to see what's different and what's the same in these stories.
>>
Getting back into comics starting with DC Rebirth after about a year of reading almost literally none.

>The Flash Rebirth
Digging it. This was the first Rebirth comic I read, and I'm glad I started here. Seeing Barry remember Wally, and knowing a lot of the old shit is probably going to get merged with (or maybe replace) the new, makes me pretty optimistic about the rest.
>Green Arrow Rebirth
Ollie is still just kind of liberal-y, not the straight up left wing radical he has been in the past. Liked seeing him admit his flaws. I hope they reference him liking chili sometime soon.
>Wonder Woman Rebirth
Not a lot happened in the comic action/plot-wise, but a lot of clues were laid out that I hope will come together really well. I'm actually really excited about this.
>Superman Rebirth
I was a bit lost about who this alternate universe Superman is. Or if he's the Clark we know, and the one we died is an alternate Supes? Someone please clarify for me.

About to read Aquaman Rebirth now.
>>
>>83624450
Superman is the Superman from pre-flashpoint, but based on the DC Universe one-shot, is actually the "real" superman, and the one we've been following as the post-flashpoint superman is someone else.
>>
>>83624524
>based on the DC Universe one-shot, is actually the "real" superman, and the one we've been following as the post-flashpoint superman is someone else.

this is a fan theory, by the way

The DCU Rebirth Special didn't hint that either Superman was real/fake. Just that they weren't who they thought they were.
>>
>>83622746
Batman and Green Lanterns were the weakest books, at least for me.

Batman addressed nothing and I couldn't care less about Baz and Cruz.
>>
>>83624579
Combine it with the 10 years thing though
>>
>>83624450 here.
>Aquaman Rebirth
Interested to see where this goes. Felt almost more like an extended teaser than an actual comic, much like WW did.

Now I'm going to find Green Lantern Rebirth.
>>
>DC found a way to release back-to-back #1s of the same book in the same month
How jealous is Marvel right now?
>>
>>83623425
>, I mean it was gripping sure but Superman just kind totally hating Luthor and not giving him a semblance of a chance just threw me off.

I suppose it could have emphasized a little more that he was pissed off by the fact Luthor had taken his family crest and proclaimed himself as the new Superman twenty minutes after Nu52 Superman had died.
>>
File: superfriends.jpg (36 KB, 400x316) Image search: [Google]
superfriends.jpg
36 KB, 400x316
Action Comics has got my attention. And yes Lex deserves to have Superman breathing down his neck. This isn't some down on his luck d-list villain, this is a proven psychopath in every universe.

Flash just benefits so much from dealing with continuity shit, and I like how Barry prefers to look at Batman as a partner in forensics.

I like how Aqua Man is one of the only books that doesn't want to skip a beat from the previous New 52 stories. Mera's best wife.

The Detective Comics writer looks like he's going to have fun with Clayface but it's a tall order writing all these popular characters with really stingy fanbases. Putting Steph and Cass fans in the same room too?

Wonder Woman left me cold. I like that it's dealing with Rebirth confusion but it felt like he was laying it too thick.
>>
DC Universe - Rebirth 001 (2016) (4 Covers) (digital) (Minutemen-Drunk Monk)
http://www16.zippyshare.com/v/2zLA75jZ/file.html

Batman - Rebirth 01 (2016) (2 covers) (digital) (Minutemen-Faessla)
http://www8.zippyshare.com/v/IIxSTHH9/file.html

Green Lanterns - Rebirth 01 (2016) (2 covers) (digital) (Minutemen-Thoth)
http://www58.zippyshare.com/v/XWsP6Axd/file.html

Superman - Rebirth 01 (2016) (2 covers) (digital) (Minutemen-Drunk Monk)
http://www117.zippyshare.com/v/SmpEfeOH/file.html

Action Comics 957 (2016) (2 covers) (digital) (Minutemen-Drunk Monk)
http://www67.zippyshare.com/v/JhawWcSD/file.html

Detective Comics 934 (2016) (2 covers) (digital) (Minutemen-Drunk Monk)
http://www116.zippyshare.com/v/yi8Pbg3h/file.html

The Flash - Rebirth 01 (2016) (2 covers) (digital) (fixed) (Minutemen-Slayer)
http://www116.zippyshare.com/v/mhxceTM5/file.html

Wonder Woman - Rebirth 01 (2016) (2 covers) (digital) (Minutemen-Thoth)
http://www33.zippyshare.com/v/fl3dqs7n/file.html
>>
File: Rebirth_checklist_Week_2.jpg (3 MB, 1200x4800) Image search: [Google]
Rebirth_checklist_Week_2.jpg
3 MB, 1200x4800
>>
Green Arrow was the best, Aquaman and Wonder Woman were close seconds. (Though I'll admit I've never read a WW comic before. EO and Perez are on my reading list, but I have a lot to burn through).
>>
>>83626310
>>
>>83622746
Flash > Action Comics > Aquaman > Superman > Green Lanterns > Wonder Woman
didn't read Green Arrow because of the SJW /co/ outrage, even though /co/ apparently likes it now.
>>
>>83628536
Also, I'd put Batman between Superman and Lanterns
>>
>>83622746
From what I've read, I don't think most of the Rebirth issues are indicative of what the actual runs are going to be like. That said:

>Batman
Entirely forgettable, although I feel like the first issue was more Snyder than King. Will probably get better when he starts doing his own shit.

>Aquaman
Meh. Basically just a primer for people who don't know shit about Aquaman. Abnett's writing has been hit or miss on his few issues so far, but I'll give it a chance. On a side-note, the WORST Aquaman costume ever. Scale mail was a million times cooler.

>Wonder Woman
Has Rucka forgot how to write? This whole issue seemed like him spinning his wheels. I mean, I suppose a lot of these Rebirth issues are just that, a chance to get new readers, so they want to show something without totally delving into the meat and potatoes of the stories. Wonder Woman's issue in particular feels like Rucka was trying to retroactively write a prologue to a story that didn't need one.

>Superman
Just depressing. There was that single panel of Lana burying Supes between his parents in Smallville. I honestly felt more sadness over that one image than I did during the entirety of the original Death of Superman. He had a tough life, and this just seems like a totally forced and appeasing "passing of the torch" to shut up whiny neckbeards to want post-crisis Supes back. Issue itself was just an excuse to recap the original DoS anyway.

>Action Comics
So old fans piss and moan for years about how current Superman isn't "MUH SUPERMAN". About how New 52 Supes and DCEU Supes are just angry, edgy, cocky, dumb jerks who cause property damage. So what does Post-Crisis Supes do, his very first day on the job? Selfishly antagonizes Luthor for saving lives, lays a hand on him despite being warned not to, the proceeds to throw the first punch, starting a fight in public, endangering bystanders, with little to back it up besides his own hubris. So much for "MUH SUPERMAN".
>>
>>83628536
>didn't read Green Arrow because of the SJW /co/ outrage, even though /co/ apparently likes it now.
Nigga... it's all bait game, you should know that by now. It's good comic.
>>
>>83629277
>Detective Comics
Couldn't finish it, too boring. Never cared for Batwoman or pretty much any of these other side characters. Clayface seemed cool, but I'm not slogging through a book twice a month to get one or two good character moments when I hate pretty much the entire rest of the cast.

Didn't read the rest, yet. Looking forward to Green Arrow, though. Not much interest in Muslim Lantern.
>>
>>83629277
Batfrag pls.
>>
> Action Comics > Superman > Green Lanterns > Wonder Woman > Batman.
>>
>>83625709
>And yes Lex deserves to have Superman breathing down his neck
He deserves to be held under scrutiny. He does not deserve to be assaulted in public for helping people. This doesn't help Superman's case at all, and really just makes him look like the dumb, angry jerk people have been accusing him of being for years.

I think Superfags need to face the fact that Superman is, more often than not, a dick. A lot of writers cannot fucking handle him. It has nothing to do with which version he is or which universe he's from.

>>83629338
...what? But I didn't like Batman. I didn't really like any of them. Which is kinda sad.
>>
>>83623380
>The current one is called Constantine: The Hellblazer and it's pretty good
Well...
>>
Isn't anyone else bothered by the hamfisted making Watchmen DCU canon now?
>>
>>83629395
>I think Superfags need to face the fact that Superman is, more often than not, a dick. A lot of writers cannot fucking handle him. It has nothing to do with which version he is or which universe he's from.
And? batman does torture.
>>
>>83629395
>I think Superfags need to face the fact that Superman is, more often than not, a dick. A lot of writers cannot fucking handle him. It has nothing to do with which version he is or which universe he's from.
Oh maybe Superman is held at a needlessly high standard by Superfags?
>>
>>83629395
We see Batman torture people in the films. He dangles a guy from a roof, breaks another's legs, and punches the Joker in the face to get information.

For Nolan's Batman, it's not a question of if he tortures, but how much he tortures.
>>
>read the GLs #1 preview
>prepared to want to kill myself
>art comes out great
>Simon and Jessica are both distinct and interesting
>doing actual cop work

BRAVO DOGFUCKER, IM PROUD OF YOU
>>
>>83629395
Batman's also been known to break a hand or two to get information. Just makes him look like the dumb, angry jerk .
>>
>>83626310
When are the September solicits?
>>
>>83629477
>>83629517
Batman =/= Superman
I'm not even sure what point you people are trying to make. You're saying because Batman hurts bad guys, it's okay for Superman to antagonize a pointless fight in public that could easily injure or kill a bystander?
>>
>>83629469
>Oh maybe Superman is held at a needlessly high standard by Superfags?
Except apparently now he isn't. I've seen so much defense for Superman's actions against Luthor in this issue. There's just a terrible double standard for "Superman" vs "NOT MUH SUPERMAN". They can both act exactly the same way, but only one will be right.
>>
>>83629628
and also cause needless property damage, I might add
>>
>>83629451
It is ridiculous that Dr Manhattan is being pushed as a figure of despair and apathy
>>
>>83629641
> I've seen so much defense for Superman's actions against Luthor in this issue
Really? I'm seeing way more anons getting huffy at Superman than defending.
>>
>>83629688
Is it really? He was pretty full of despair and apathy in the original story. Especially apathy.
>>
>>83629706
Guess I've been going to the wrong threads. That's good because he was so very wrong. I suppose if they didn't have a bit of an altercation, it would have been a boring first issue to hook readers. Could they have had a conversation instead? Definitely, but I guess that's not the way Jurgens works.

That said, I think it was still my favorite Rebirth book. It got so whacked out at the end, with Clark Kent struttin' in as Doomsday shows up. It got me hyped to read in a very '90s way. Like, not necessarily because I think it's going to be a good story, but damn, I wanna see what happens next. Which I guess is all that matters.
>>
>>83629688
If you ignore all the stuff about how his superpowers work, Jon Osterman in a nutshell is pretty much just the story of a guy with clinical depression. All that shit about him feeling like a puppet because he knows how the future will go and feels locked into it is just him rationalizing his lack of motivation and disinterest in doing things. And because he's a nuanced human being and depression isn't a thing you can just be cured of, we can take his statements about getting over his callousness and feeling positive about human life again as unreliable, the same way we can assume that Adrian's peace will never last.
>>
File: image.jpg (154 KB, 790x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
154 KB, 790x1200
Why can't Lupa draw GLs
>>
>>83629755
>That's good because he was so very wrong. I suppose if they didn't have a bit of an altercation, it would have been a boring first issue to hook readers. Could they have had a conversation instead? Definitely, but I guess that's not the way Jurgens works.
That's fair. What Superman did was impulsive, but I'm just annoyed at anons already going NOT MUH after just one issue.
>>
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/exclusive-preview-green-arrow-1/1100-155621/
>>
>reading comics
>>
File: 1386111565613.jpg (34 KB, 324x377) Image search: [Google]
1386111565613.jpg
34 KB, 324x377
>>83622746

Only one I read was 'Tec to check if the 90's kids had finally been unfucked. Nope.

DC can burn in the hell it created.
>>
>>83630129
>DO EVERYTHING IN THE FIRST ISSUE, YOU BASTARDS!
You must hate comics in general.
>>
>>83629641
Yeah I feel like this is gonna be divisive going forward. Rebirth Supes seems much grimmer and edgier to me than Superbro was. I like him less at the moment. Which makes it even more inexplicable to me that Superbro got such a bad rap, on top of having such a rough life. I mean, I agree that Superman editorial was a hot mess in New 52, but it's weird to see so many people celebrating over this pretty grumbly Superman.
>>
>>83629706
Just Wondawoman and 52 Superman fans.
>>
>>83630129
>Cass, Tim and/or Steph fag whines about everything
news at 11
>>
>>83630223
Superman.52 is tumblr meh....fuck him
>>
>>83630241
>Superman.52 is tumblr
He was anything but tumblr. Stop using tumblr as a catch all insult instead of saving it for SJW shit/noses
>>
>>83629872
>I'm just annoyed at anons already going NOT MUH after just one issue.
Probably because his first official action as Superman was to do the kind of thing that people have been bitching about Superman doing for the past 6 years. This, of course, is regardless of the fact that punching first and asking questions later is something almost every version of Superman has done. It just would have been nice to have a bit more justification for his violence, especially considering he started a fucking fight in a crowded area, which is something I don't even specifically remember New52 Superman doing. And this is supposed to be an older, more-experienced Supes? It was just a terrible choice on Jurgens' part.

I think a lot of the problem comes from the DCEU. It was the first live-action Superman movie that really showed Superman doing the kind of shit he does in the comics and cartoons, punching people into/through buildings and generally causing a LOT of collateral damage. It was okay before because it was never real, but now that it's been shown to people in realistic terms, it's a bit of a wake-up call, I guess.

>>83630241
...What?
>>
File: Eh, I dunno.gif (2 MB, 316x213) Image search: [Google]
Eh, I dunno.gif
2 MB, 316x213
>>83623380
>Constantine: The Hellblazer and it's pretty good
>>
>>83630336
Hellblazer up until the story where he stole life from his twin in the womb was pretty meh as well.
>>
>>83630227

You just listed the main characters of the fucking book. If their fans are upset, the book is objectively shite.
>>
>>83630201

They have had years to fix their shit. YEARS. Don't tell me I haven't given them enough fucking time.
>>
File: tumblr_n8ktr48sbm1s2lswpo1_1280.jpg (451 KB, 900x1367) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n8ktr48sbm1s2lswpo1_1280.jpg
451 KB, 900x1367
So earth-2 is not affected by rebirth?
>>
>>83630498
You know how long I've been frustrated with Wonder Woman? Since significantly before Azz's run. This is the first sign it MIGHT be getting better.
>>
>>83630241
Yea I'm not even sure what "tumblr meh" is supposed to mean in this conext.
>>
>>83630526
Nope, it'll go for some time. Probably getting shafted when JSA reforms on Prime Earth.
>>
File: 76_15.jpg (546 KB, 1000x1537) Image search: [Google]
76_15.jpg
546 KB, 1000x1537
>>83630526
>>83630559
Abnetts doing a mini, unofficial Rebirth in-book to fix E2 on his own

>Nrama: You're continuing to do Earth 2 along with all this, right?

>Abnett: Yes. It's not strictly speaking part of Rebirth, but I'm continuing to write it. Obviously, it's on a slightly separate stream, although we're doing some very big stories there.

>Nrama: You've done it for a little while. Does it continue?

>Abnett: I took it over on issue #9, where there was a sense that the readers didn't quite like what was going on, and could I do something to sort of revamp it? And the response to that has been tremendous, so I'm buoyed up by the enthusiasm for what I'm doing.
>So although Earth 2, strictly speaking, isn't part of Rebirth, but you know what? I'm trying to inject into it that sense of rejuvenation.
>I was working on it a bit today, and my editor and I have come up with a storyline that I think is not only going to blow people's socks off, but also will put right — I hope — put right some of the things that people thought was not right about Earth 2 as a book.
>I think I've found internal, in-universe story reasons to fix them. So if nothing else, it's going to be exciting.

>Nrama: You found story reasons to bring back the Titans, and now you're finding story reasons to fix Earth 2. You're getting good at that fixing stuff.

>Abnett: It should be on my business card!
>>
File: 76_16.jpg (434 KB, 1000x1537) Image search: [Google]
76_16.jpg
434 KB, 1000x1537
>>83630581
>>
>>83628536
>didn't read Green Arrow because of the SJW /co/ outrage

This is what you sound like when you say that.
>didn't read Batman because of the /co/ outrage over Batman having bat ears on his cowl
>didn't read Wonder Woman because of the Amazon /co/ outrage
>didn't read Superman because of the Kryptonian /co/ outrage
>>
File: Cooking Gambit.jpg (91 KB, 622x481) Image search: [Google]
Cooking Gambit.jpg
91 KB, 622x481
Eh, Rebirth is okay I guess. All it has going for it is nostalgia pandering with a heavy-handed dose of grandstanding moral values and blue dicks that shouldn't be there in the first place.
The quality of the books themselves is just the usual.
>>
The return of post-crisis Superman has been one of the coolest slow burns I've seen in years. Over the last year I've seen him and Lois give birth to a son, establish a life for themselves in the New 52 universe, and raise their son Jonathan while living their lives in secret. Now I get to see Superman big return to the public eye, as well as Jonathan's debut as the new Superboy.

This whole thing is just great old-school comics.
>>
>>83630661
Wow .
>>
>>83630466
You seem to think that their fans would ever be pleased by anything
>>
Just read all the Rebirth stuff.

I haven't read comics in quite a while. Who's the dude living with Batman, who Bruce gave the yellow suit?

Are the nu52 characters going to get phased out, or live alongside the old ones?
>>
File: I Love Me the Ladies Ollie.jpg (286 KB, 904x429) Image search: [Google]
I Love Me the Ladies Ollie.jpg
286 KB, 904x429
>>83630635
It's honestly depressing how much of /co/ has no fucking idea about Green Arrow's character
>>
File: harley-quinn-13-panel-3.jpg (168 KB, 620x745) Image search: [Google]
harley-quinn-13-panel-3.jpg
168 KB, 620x745
>>83630581
Thank you very much!
>>
>>83630635
You are a fucking retard. GA isnt a SJW. He was anarchist-socialist in a total different context. If anything he would care more about banking, israel, and shit like enron that if the police kills a black criminal
>>
>>83630809
>Who's the dude living with Batman

Duke Thomas. In the previous Batman run by Snyder and Capullo, Joker spread a mass infection of the Joker-virus. Duke's parents were targeted, and so Duke had to strike out on his own. He became an unofficial/unauthorized Robin, starring in the maxiseries "We Are Robin", and then started becoming more and more prominent with the Robin War crossover event and the latter half of Superheavy (Batman 40-50, featuring Jim Gordon as a police-sanctioned Batman since Bruce was out of commission, thereby making the "real" Batman presumed dead).

>Are the nu52 characters going to get phased out, or live alongside the old ones?

Rebirth isn't about throwing away the past, and that includes the recent past.

The only series that might intentionally phase things out is Wonder Woman. Every other series is keeping New52 characters. Nu52 Superman still exists -- he's just dead right now, and there's likely a mystery with Mr Oz about how to revive him.
>>
>DCU
Great, brings back Wally, sets up the rest of the DCU going forward. Not a great story, but I still enjoyed it.
>Batman
It was fine, even though Duke's costume looks like shit I still expect the series to get better.
>Superman
Boring. Nothing really happened, Supes met Lana Lang and now he's going to be Superman again. Another one I hope gets better.
>Green Lanterns
I actually like the premise and don't dislike Humphries. The issue was mostly set-up just like the other rebirth issues, but i still enjoyed it.
>Green Arrow
The only one that told a story instead of just setting up future stories, so this was probably the best Rebirth issue. I don't care if Ollie's poor now, I think it's an interesting set-up. Here's hoping we get speedy back?
>Wonder Woman
The worst Rebirth issue so far, I never read Rucka's original run but was it really this bad or did he just take a nosedive? The art in the first half was very good but Liam Sharp did a terrible job with the second half. The dialog is terrible, It's just Wondy monologuing so we can rush into a shitty fight scene. I would honestly rather have Azz return and his run was just okay. This is garbage.
>Aquaman
I like the set-up and the twist at the end was interesting, hopefully we get to see manta fleshed out as a character here. Also please just call the book Aquaman and Mera, DC, you know why we're really here.
>The Flash
Basically just a recap with some easter eggs. I didn't mind because I've never read flash before, but that combined with the art has me excited.
>Action Comics
It was okay for a first chapter. I liked Superlex. NuClark is back, that sounds fun. But please, stop with the goddamn doomsday. If this is the best Jurgens can do, no thanks. At least the art was nice.
>Detective
Felt like the assembling scene from avengers. I'm excited, and it got me to care about Clayface beyond B:TAS, so that's nice. Art here was great.
Overall: Seems like the art is already starting to suffer from the double shipping.
>>
>>83630871
People seriously don't get it. "/co/ doesn't read comics" is not a meme. It's the truth.

Then you get fuckos like >>83630970 who think that using buzzwords will hide the fact that they haven't the two MOST FAMOUS RUNS of the character, let alone anything that followed.
>>
I've never read a Green Arrow comic (nothing against him, just no interest), but all this positive buzz is making me want to pick it up.
I've read the Batman, Detective, Superman and Wonder Woman Rebirth issues so far. I don't know why everyone seems so down on the Batman one, it didn't reinvent the wheel, but it was a solid and a fun read with some great visuals. 'Tec was solid, but I think those 90's characters will suffer from their busted reboot characterizations for a long while. WW had too much exposition for my tastes, but it was intriguing. I thought Superman was the weakest. It was a pretty unkind sendoff for Nu!perman and Oldsupes did not seem particularly likeable in it.
>>
>>83623425
>but Superman just kind totally hating Luthor and not giving him a semblance of a chance just threw me off.

This meme needs to die.
>>
>>83631367
>disagree with a totally valid criticism
>"w-what a stupid m-meme... right guys?"
>>
>>83630581

I love the boob window, but I'd be lying if I said that this version of the PG costume didn't look great.
>>
>>83630970
He'd care about both. And if you don't think anarchists are supporting things like BLM, you're incredibly mistaken.
>>
>>83624849
It's not even THAT outlandish. For one, Lex had no reason to believe there was another Superman waiting in the wings, and second, this Lex has been on the Justice League for quite a while, now. It really makes sense that he should step up as Metropolis' protector.

I'm not saying Lex doesn't need an eye kept on him, and perhaps Superman does have a right to protest the appropriation of his culture by Lex (even though he lets regular schmucks print it on t-shirts, but whatever), but this is a problem you solve with words, not by starting a fight in a populated area.
>>
>>83631640
>people actually think Luthor is some sort of good guy

Why are the Harleyfags latching onto Lex all of a sudden? Just to be edgy?
>>
>>83631744
>characters aren't allowed to turn their shit around
>a bad person is forever and always 100% evil with no redeeming qualities
Not edgy at all.
>>
>implying Lex didn't set the whole robbery up

It's like you morons have never read a Superman comic in your life.
>>
>>83631761
>someone saves a few people
>we'll just forgive the thousands of people they killed before and totally trust him 100%
>>
>>83631744
>Harleyfags
Might be because they're drawn to conflicted characters who are bad guys but sympathetic, and Harley used to be like that until she became murderHarley, so they're hoping that's what's going on with Lex. Or something.
>>
>>83631764
Filthy Kryptonian propaganda.
>>
>>83631744
It's not that he's not a bad guy, but he's not as bad as Post Crisis Supes thinks, especially considering that Post Crisis Supes has absolutely NO dirt on him, except for the fact that he thinks any universe's Lex is evil. That, my friend, is profiling.

Lex has been on the Justice League and has helped save the world enough to earn some reprieve, regardless of what he's done up until now. The rest of the JL trusted him enough to work along side him while keeping an eye on him, but Superdad shows up and decides he's such a threat, he needs to be beat down in the middle of a crowded city? Literally worse than DCEU Superman.

>>83631780
>implying New52 Lex has killed thousands of people
>>
>>83631764
>using meta information to justify the actions of a poorly-written character
Oof.
>>
>>83631853

New 53 Lex pushed a secretary off the top of a skyscraper and murdered a plane crew just to make Superman look bad. Dude is a straight-up monster.
>>
>>83631909
I'm not saying he isn't bad, but he's not a fucking genocidal maniac. And seeing as nobody but the reader knows about that shit, it doesn't really matter, now does it?

You see, part of good storytelling is being able to believe a character's motivations. When Superman shows up and, as far as he knows, Lex Luthor has done NOTHING wrong, yet he decides to start a fight that causes needless property damage, and could hurt innocent bystanders, well, it makes him look bad and stupid. But I gather that most people actually like a stupid, brutish Superman, as long as he's married to Lois and says something about hope every now and again.
>>
>>83631909
When did he murder the plane crew?
>>
When did this Lex is a good guy who didn't do nothing meme start?
>>
File: 21.jpg (2 MB, 1800x2767) Image search: [Google]
21.jpg
2 MB, 1800x2767
Does anyone know who this old man is?
>>
>>83623425
The last time that supes saw his luthor he gave up universal peace to try and kill him. Supernab knows lex any lex would do the same
>>
>>83631875
It's not my fault you guys are trying to defend a poorly written villain
>>
>>83632039
Probably Lex's grandfather who killed Hitler and saved the world and raised Lex to be a nice guy who never does anything evil.
>>
>>83632041
>any lex would do the same
First, how does he know that about literally every universe? Second, that doesn't actually justify the WAY he went about confronting Lex.
>>
>>83632039
Johnny Thunder. He had genie and they fought crime.
>>
Batman is such a jerk for always trying to kill Joker who is just a really nice guy trying to do right.
>>
>>83632039
I believe it's johnny thunder
>>
>>83632129
>always trying to kill Joker
He doesn't try to kill the Joker.
>who is really a nice guy trying to do right
If Batman went into another universe where the Joker was helping people, he might be suspicious but he wouldn't attack him in broad daylight in front of a bunch of people, in a way that could get them hurt.
>>
>DCEU Superman fights Zod in a city to stop him from killing every human on Earth. There is collateral damage. Possibly injures bystanders
>"FUCKING STUPID! MAN OF MURDER! NOT MUH SUPERMAN!"
>Post-Crisis Superman starts a fight with Lex Luthor in a crowded city because he thinks he's definitely probably eventually up to no-good. Causes collateral damage. Possibly injures bystanders.
>"Best Superman ever!!! Lex is the worst evil man has ever known!!! MUH SUPES!!!

God, you Post-Crisis Superfags are the worst.
>>
>>83632039
Johnny Thunder. Its JSA set-up
>>
>>83632161
I didn't like MoS and while I did like post-crisis Superman, I think this was poorly written and Superman's actions weren't justified. I'm excited for the possibilities with "muh Supes" back, but this arc will probably be shit.
>>
Why was Green Arrow being so mean to those dudes in masks? They were just trying to help get those homeless people jobs and then Green Arrow comes in and fucks everything up. Literally worse than Hitler.
>>
>>83632210
>I think this was poorly written and Superman's actions weren't justified
I've said it before, there are constantly times in comics where Superman's actions aren't justified, and he's just being violent because it's a spectacle to see him punch someone through a building. It's just that since the New52 and MOS came along, and suddenly they had a markedly different version of the character to pin their hate on.

Whenever somebody storytimes post-crisis Superman stories, I'm often quite surprised by how often Superman was just a straight up dick who punched first and asked questions later. There's a horrific double-standard at work here.

>this arc will probably be shit.
Of course it will be, its Jurgens.
>>
>>83632039
Batfrags.
>>
>>83632129
Batman is a cunt.
>>
>>83632014
Batfrags.
>>
>>83631909
Lex is a cunt.
>>
Why wouldn't Supes overreact and be a dick to Lex? This Supes has zero reason to trust Lex after all the shit his Lex put him through, and then to see Lex wearing his crest and wearing this Earth's Superman's cape just set him off and pissed him off.

It wasn't justified at all, but that doesn't mean it makes no sense like half these people seem to claim.
>>
>>83632464
>Batfrags.
>>
>>83632464
People were merely expecting this Superman to treat it at least as maturely as new 52 Superman did by accepting Luthor's heroism in the meantime while continuing to monitor him for actual villainy

But he couldn't even do that much. There better be emotional amplification or something involved.
>>
>>83632464
>This Supes has zero reason to trust Lex after all the shit his Lex put him through
>This Supes has zero reason to trust (X) after all the shit (Y) put him through
>X=Y
False.

>It wasn't justified at all, but that doesn't mean it makes no sense like half these people seem to claim.
Because Superman is supposed to be benevolent and compassionate, and "always find another way". Was there truly no other way to handle Lex as a perceived threat than instigating a fight in a crowded city?

If New52 Superman did this, there would be a thousand choruses of "NOT MUH SUPERMAN"! The fucking double-standard going on here is astronomical.
>>
>>83632624
>treat it at least as maturely as new 52 Superman did by accepting Luthor's heroism in the meantime while continuing to monitor him for actual villainy
Fucking this. God, Superbro was so based. I miss him already.
>>
>>83630581
>>83630605
I don't get it. Why real JSA even exist on Earth-0? I thought all pre-new52 versions are erased now (except Barry, Wally, Parallax Hal and pre-crisis Kara). And must be only these young versions on Earth-2
>>
>>83632819
>The fucking double-standard going on here is astronomical.
Nuperman sucks.
>>
>>83632845
Thunderbolt, probably, wiped minds of everyone and people forgot JSA fought the good fight before they were told to disband.
>>
>>83632845
If we have the 52 as well then the JSA'll be on both Earths.
Honestly its the best way about it. THE JSA is old on main earth but young on another
>>
>>83631002
>The worst Rebirth issue so far, I never read Rucka's original run but was it really this bad or did he just take a nosedive?

It was one of the best WW runs of all time. I read it a long time ago but I think the dialogue was a lot better too. This issue was pretty weak. I hope it's just because it's a prologue.
>>
File: misunderstood heroes.jpg (713 KB, 1843x1416) Image search: [Google]
misunderstood heroes.jpg
713 KB, 1843x1416
Post misunderstood heroes that always get painted "villains" unjustly even though they did literally nothing wrong.
>>
>>83633096
Well I mean its their universes fate to be evil tbf
>>
>>83631002
People don't seem to realize these Rebirth specials are just glorified previews for new readers to get their bearings. Wait til the #1s proper come out for passing judgement.
>>
>>83633096
This meme is making me mad. It's not making me mad because you're making a good point and it's proving me wrong. It's making me mad because I can't believe that you could be so stupid so as to think the situations are similar. I'm so man I'm turning red. I'm almost crying. Yes, I'm mad. Delete this.
>>
>>83633137
This is basically what I assumed. Most of them read like unnecessary prologues that were written as an afterthought. Although there's still no excuse for the horrible mischaracterization of Superman in Action Comics, but whatever.
>>
>>83633139
Stop overreacting, Supes.
>>
>>83633137
Yeah this. DCU, Green Arrow, and Aquaman were the only ones that actually had anything worthwhile happen. For the others you can just wait for the #1 of the ongoings.
>>
>>83632856
He was the hero we deserve. Stay mad, gramps.
>>
>>83633181
52 Trump Nuperman.
>>
File: 640.jpg (117 KB, 640x503) Image search: [Google]
640.jpg
117 KB, 640x503
>>83632856
I know, what a fucking edgelord
>>
>>83622746
The oneshots were a mistake.

They're more like the 8 page DCYou previews except decompressed.

At least they're 3 bucks instead of 4 and not every book has one.
>>
I love both Superdaddy and baby Superman 52 .fuck lex that ass.
but i think baby Superman 52 is conner kent.
>>
I really love both supermans..but I'm not a fan of 52 lois..
>>
>>83623647
eally enjoyed the issue.

Lois and Clark felt like themselves and Jon was great. The art was really good with Jimmy pulling off a more modern look to him I enjoyed. It felt good to watch Superman standing up to Luther, but on the other hand it's a really great costume they should think about keeping around, maybe for Steel. I didn't think I'd like Doomsday as the villain in the first arc but I was really pumped up on the last page. If I had waited for the price drop on Superman I would have caved as soon as I clicked back to my books.
>>
As a new reader who started with New 52 I am really enjoying this Rebirth idea. It's getting me interested in older stories beyond the usual recommended trades. I've been reading Wally's entire run thanks to storytimes lately and I think I'm going to do the same with Superman starting from the run that started right after Crisis on Infinite Earths because I'm curious about this new old Superman.

I guess in that regard this talk about legacy is working.
>>
>>83633429
>It felt good to watch Superman standing up to Luther
It was, but I really hope that Jurgens doesn't just collapse onto "hurrr, Luthor was evil all along!". I think one of the greatest strengths of Luthor as a character is that he truly does want to protect humanity because he believes in it just as much as Superman does. His foil is that he hates Superman slightly more than he loves humanity, and it's what causes him to make poor (evil) choices.

Unfortunately, I think it's entirely beyond Jurgens to write something even that slightly-nuanced.

>>83633372
>but I'm not a fan of 52 lois
She was an irredeemable bitch. She also wasn't much of a presence at all. It makes you realize how pointless of a character she is when she's not trying to ride the Superdick.
>>
Where can I watch at sales of rebirth comics? I want muh DC to be finnaly succeed. They trully earned it by making good comics again.
>>
>>83633859
The top 10 numbers for May will likely come out in the next couple of days. Top 300 next week. That will tell us how the 80 page one-shot did.
>>
>>83633859
>They trully earned it by making good comics again
What?
>>
>>83633859
>>83634024
They made some seriously good comics during DCYou. Hope some of the lapsed readers will discover them after getting back on board.
The continuity really was a clusterfuck, though, so I'm glad they're trying to fix it.
>>
File: SPECTRE_1997_57-21.jpg (285 KB, 995x1548) Image search: [Google]
SPECTRE_1997_57-21.jpg
285 KB, 995x1548
>>83623289
>I don't think Vertigo John was canon in main DCverse.
Eh. Some writers like Ostrander clearly feel that the core Vertigo stuff (Hellblazer, Swamp Thing, Sandman, Lucifer) takes place in the DCU, others don't.
>>
File: SPECTRE_1997_57-22.jpg (310 KB, 995x1550) Image search: [Google]
SPECTRE_1997_57-22.jpg
310 KB, 995x1550
>>83636610
2/2
>>
>>83622746
So is Rebirth a jumping on point or is it a big event that I wouldn't understand?
>>
>>83638251
Ehh... little of both, I think. If you know the basics of the characters ("Batman is Bruce Wayne, who became a vigilante to try and fight back against the kind of violence that produced his parents," etc.) and what launched the nu52 in-universe, I think you're good.
>>
>>83638680
>If you know the basics of the characters and what launched the nu52 in-universe
Ok, sounds like I'm good to go. Gonna try at least finishing the New 52 Flash series first though.
>>
This entire thread reads exactly like the New 52 was a month into it.
>>
>>83638798
DC can never please all its fans.

They could create a comic book that cures cancer just by reading it and somewhere out there, there would be a guy shitposting on /co/ about how the colorist ruined everything or bring back Doug Hall etc etc
>>
>>83638904
Well obviously because a book that actually pleases everyone would be incredibly boring.
>>
File: batbully.png (813 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
batbully.png
813 KB, 800x450
>Batman is now going to continuously harass three different innocent men for no good reason instead of just one

It was bad enough when Batman was bullying Joker to begin with for no good reason. Now he's going to be bullying three different Jokers. This is just getting ridiculous. Why does DC constantly have their "heroes" harassing perfectly innocent people who are just trying to help others?
>>
>>83638251
All you need to know before reading Rebirth is:

WhiteWally used to be Flash but hasn't existed since New 52 started
Pre-Flashpoint Superman who is married to Lois and has a kid managed to not get erased from existence and have been hiding in the New 52 universe all along
The New 52 Superman died

Also Batman keeps recruiting more teenagers to be his Robin-fodder
>>
>>83639069

>The New52 Supes died

The one that wore a T shirt and Jeans and fought alongside the police?

???
>>
File: 1279485560570.png (13 KB, 523x497) Image search: [Google]
1279485560570.png
13 KB, 523x497
>>83638798

Turns out merely saying you're going to change everything for the better isn't as good as actually going and doing it.
>>
>>83638251
>So is Rebirth a jumping on point or is it a big event that I wouldn't understand?

So far I don't think it qualifies as an event at all actually, because other than the Rebirth one-shot special itself, I haven't seen any change to the status quo yet. Most comics appear to continue with Nu52 bullshit continuity as if nothing had happened.

Maybe it's intended to be a slow burner, but given how desperate they seemed to be to make everyone believe that this time the thing they've promised a hundred times is going to happen for real, I would have expected there to be more changes happening in the first post-Rebirth issues than none at all.
>>
>>83623647
>Calendar Man is actually interesting now

fuck you. Calendar Man was my homebody and he got fucked
Thread replies: 185
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.