[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would you think if Marvel and DC assigned every character
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Unlikely.jpg (86 KB, 373x373) Image search: [Google]
Unlikely.jpg
86 KB, 373x373
What would you think if Marvel and DC assigned every character an age and started to age their characters in real time so that every year a year also passes in the comics?

No sliding time scale and no characters the always stay the same age, everyone gets older at the same rate and only characters that are immortal or something like that get a pass. Even if they had heroes age at half that rate, it would still make it so that new characters would have more saying power since the older characters would eventually have to retire. More teen heroes would get the chance to grow up, it would provide a better justification for legacy characters, and there would be more defined ages since no real status quo could last forever. Even deaths would become a slightly bigger deal since every character would eventually have to die and stay dead.
>>
That wouldn't work, some storylines take 12 issues to tell and only a day or so passed in the story.
>>
It would be better, because it would for e them to stop recycling the same characters constantly.
>>
>>83572022
There is that, but on the other hand, it's not like every story starts the day after the last one ended.
It would call for more time skips sine although it might take a year to finish an arc, once the next once starts it would be easy to just do a skip catch up. Maybe it would even encourage more one shot stories.
>>
I don't think there's any real benefit in limiting stories like that. But I don't even really like when TV procedurals acknowledge the passing of time between seasons just because the actors get older and that's basically how comics work anyway.

If it was a separate side universe where it worked like that I guess it would be ok but I wouldn't want it to be the only option.
>>
>>83571993
>What would you think if Marvel and DC assigned every character an age and started to age their characters in real time so that every year a year also passes in the comics?

It'd be harder to do because you'd also have multi-part stories.

You're better off doing it like the Pre-COIE Earth-2, where you acknowledge the characters age and change and worked with comic history going back to the late 30's. Then again even there some Justice Society characters had their aging magically slowed down (but not eliminated completely; even E2 Superman had white streaks in his hair) to explain why they'd be active and fit in the 60's and 70's.
>>
>>83572259
They had that in the 1960s at Marvel. It wasn't feasible to popularize new characters to replace the older ones in the kind of timescale you're suggesting.

>>83572331
I'm not even sure MC2, for all it was permitted to age the "current" characters, actually aged the replacements.

>>83572077
It would result in a collapse in sales, which is the opposite of what any publisher wants.
>>
Progress is dumb and if you want progress you are dumb as fuck because you and the other manchildren somehow think status quo is evil, so we need to have yearly events and every book catering to the 25-65 demographic
>>
File: wolverine right on kid.png (568 KB, 553x555) Image search: [Google]
wolverine right on kid.png
568 KB, 553x555
>>83571993
Characters with healing factors and immortality would continue to exist as if nothing change.
>>
>12 issue storyline covers 3 days
>world-saving superheroes need to wait 11 months in universe before having another notable adventure

Sorry OP, but it sounds terrible, and would just need to be rebooted every two decades anyways.
>>
>>83573866
>name
>trip

Yeah, your wrong by default.
>>
>>83574019
>saying new 52 was needed
>>
>>83573866
meme response, senpai
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.