[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Defenders on Netflix.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
Odds of this working, you think? And general Netflix Marvel shows thread, I guess.

I'm torn. I really enjoyed Jessica Jones, I liked Frank, but Daredevil as a whole hasn't won me over even with two full seasons. Punisher done right, should be decent. I found Luke Cage more interesting than I was expecting, considering his character was a 90s black stereotype. Iron Fist is either going to be awesome and camp, or utterly shit.

But bring them all together? I mean, who can they possibly have to fight in Hells Kitchen, in a setting with Spidey and the Avengers, that is big enough to warrent the team up, isn't taken by the movies, and yet will be compelling?

Despite liking JJ, I felt that the Purple Man and Tennant were wasted as a 13 episode disposable villain. I seem to recall he has a healing factor or something, but given the MCUs tendencies, I reckon he's gone. Aside from Loki, and Purple, I can't think of a good villain in the MCU. Except Tony of course.
>>
>>83563555
You don't need to pick a good villain
Purple Man is a shit character in the comics, yet he was awesome in the show. Same with Hyde (personnality-wise, because the depiction of his "powers" was beyond bad)
>>
Marvel Netflix ded. Six shows can't even generate discussion on the future.
>>
File: 2662425-1361589542722.gif (3 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
2662425-1361589542722.gif
3 MB, 300x225
>>83563555

>liked jessica jones
>didnt like daredevil
>>
>>83563555
>I mean, who can they possibly have to fight in Hells Kitchen, in a setting with Spidey and the Avengers, that is big enough to warrent the team up, isn't taken by the movies, and yet will be compelling?

The corporation responsible for Matt, Jessica, and Luke's powers?
>>
>>83563709
Hyde was easily one of the best things in AoS, Ward obviously being the best. Rare moments of great/enjoyable character writing in a TV show.
>>
Well. they could do The Hood, with some Kingpin cameos here and there. Some mercenaries from Marvel lore.
>>
>>83563555
>Odds of this working, you think?

Slim to none.
>>
>>83566561
There is a huge pile of non-global threat level villains they could pull from. Anybody who thinks they don't have enough to choose from needs to read more comics.
>>
>>83563555
Luke Cage was boring and wooden. I don't ever want to deal with Jessica Jones again. Fuck sake that was awful.
>>
>>83563555
>>83566304
I second this.

But isn't there discussion of introducing Moon Knight? Can always introduce him as a villain seeing as he's a psychotic schizophrenic but then they realize he's a vigilante too and he gets his own series...
>>
>>83566612
First defenders arch could be Moon Knight vs the committee. Do a combination of the conquer lord story and that one wolf guy with the fencing sword, obviously a less shit villain than those. Defenders come in to help MK, big conspiracy stuff because the comittee has a lot of power and influence.
>>
>>83566330
I hope they do roxxon, maybe later they can have spidey investigate them, lead in to ultimate Jess
>>
>>83566650
Oh God that would be awesome
>>
>>83563709
>he was awesome in the show
The only show he was ever awesome on is EMH.
Kilgrave is a terrible character worthy of his comic counterpart.
>>
>>83566680
Roxxon Energy has been mentioned a couple times and I remember Elektra meeting them, it'll probably turn out they own IGH, the company that funded the experiments on Cage and Kilgrave
>>
I enjoyed Daredevil up to Frank, when Electra came in I had to drop the show. Lost interest. I am about four episodes into JJ, and something about it just turns my stomach. For Iron Fist, high hopes, low expectations. I would make more sense to make Defenders a stand-alone movie in my opinion. Round things off neatly.
>>
>>83563555
>Luke Cage
>90s black stereotype
70s black stereotype you fucking casual.
it takes 2 seconds to wiki that shit and 2 more seconds to read it.
>>
>>83566747
Yeah, but realistically they'll just be up against the guys who gave three quarters of the team their powers because they've been building up to it. Although I suppose that could still tie into the committee.
>>
>>83563555
>Purple Man and Tennant were wasted as a 13 episode disposable villain
wtf, moron?
That is a respectable, full season antagonist for a show's first season.
>>
the strength of these shows is the ability to spend time developing characters and not having to depend on "the last stand against the big bad!" for the only source of story/motivation.

both DD and JJ have been able to develop their characters in depth, providing better storytelling overall as compared to a standalone film's potential.

As far as DD season 2, I was disappointed in the split-season focus and utter lack of utilization of Frank as the Punisher in the end of the season. I really expected him to shine, but he got a throwaway 10 second nod before disappearing. True, the show is about DD, but as much time as they devoted to Elektra, I really expected more with Frank.
>>
Kingpin is still at large
The Hand still exists
Simpson's unit is out there
IGH, and whether Luke or Matt's origins are linked to it, are still a mystery
Gao and the Triads are likely linked to K'un L'un, still operating
Blacksmith said army guys will be after Frank for shit he did overseas
The Kilgrave files had info on other children unrelated to him

That's all the shit I can remember, there's probably more. A lot of it is probably being saved for individual seasons but there's still tons of room to build a plot to bring the team together, and that's not even including what they might introduce in LC, IF, or future seasons of DD and JJ before they do Defenders.
>>
Moon Knight is still wishful thinking at this point. We haven't had any official word on anything other than a vague "Yeah he'd be neat"
>>
Things seemed a lot more promising when i only saw DD an JJ season 1.

The showrunners of DD season 2 are handling Defenders and holy fuck are there some warning signs. The balancing of the stories and characters was literally the worst I can remember seeing in a show. They couldn't handle DD, Frank and Elektra and now they're gonna have to handle DD, JJ, Cage and Danny and give them all equal billing. Almost every step being taken towards the Defenders is the wrong one. The elements that KILLED DD season 2 and made the show a slog to sit through were the ones that seemed to be set up for Defenders to focus on: The Hand, the Black Sky, Gao and the ninja shit.
>>
>>83566943
I also reeeeaaally want more frank. Every time he's on screen I get excited.
>>
>>83567037
Despite being better, It felt to me that the Punisher was the later addition to the story.

Daredevil and Elektra has been a thing for ages and was more than planned for, but the Punisher, given his potential to have his own show, seems like was put in as a backdoor pilot later on in production.

Not that he wasn't the best part of the show, but it felt to me like his story was what cut time from the rest and ultimately damaged it.

Also, both DD S1 and JJ S1 had been written, or planned, for ages. DD S2 was a year long project.

I'm holding on to that hope that the Defenders will be more coherent, since they have a little more time this time.
>>
>>83567094
yeah, i think they did ok introducing his character, he just really needs a solo series ;)
>>
>>83567094

Isn't he getting his own show?

Hopefully they won't shoe horn him into the Defenders, too many parts are already in motion
>>
>>83566979
MK fans don't get much, let us dream.
>>
>>83567119
Frank popping up from time to time when the fights spill into the streets for a prolonged period would be neat.
>>
>>83567037
I think you're being a little alarmist. S2 had issues but it was still average at worst, and still had some fantastic moments. Definitely not bad enough to consider jumping ship this early.
>>
>>83566826
And, even then reading through the story time, that was posted, he's more than that.
>>
>>83566826
>Expecting your average twentysomething to know when blacksploitation was a thing
>>
>>83563555
>But bring them all together?
Well there's that one Hand Leader who stole Iron Fist's powers in New Warriors.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (11 KB, 243x207) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
11 KB, 243x207
>>83567219
>Expecting your average twentysomething to know how to google
>>
>>83567174

The main issue is the balancing of characters and plot threads in S2 was some of the worst I've ever seen and these same people are making a TEAM UP show
>>
>>83567269
Exactly
>>
>>83563555
My guess is that all of the still living main villains for the respectove shows will the main point of The Defenders. Steel Serpent and Kingpin will probably be the main two with Nuke and whoever Luke Cage sets up.
>>
File: 48d.png (27 KB, 527x409) Image search: [Google]
48d.png
27 KB, 527x409
>>83563555
JJ was terrible
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.