[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay, let's talk about what exactly IS the so-called "CalArts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 2000px-Calarts_logo.png (31 KB, 2000x293) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Calarts_logo.png
31 KB, 2000x293
Okay, let's talk about what exactly IS the so-called "CalArts style".

I believe that it all depends on what breed of graduates are populating the animation industry today, each with a distinctive style.
>In the 1970s-1980s, it was the style perpetuated by Disney's animated features at the time, which makes sense, since Disney animators taught there. John Lasseter, Tim Burton, and Brad Bird came from that group.
>The 1990s brought more angular designs to characters. Genndy Tartakovsky and Craig McCracken came from this group.
>Today, we have oversimplified character designs, usually with circular head shapes and minimal body details, and an increased attention to backdrops and storytelling. Pendleton Ward, Alex Hirsch, and Daron Nefcy came from this group.
>>
Fuck art colleges. Seriously.

Fucked me over promising me to help me find a career.

At least all of my loans are taken cared of now.
>>
>>83486224
Not directed to you specifically OP, but I think a lot of this is more than just the college, and it's a bit ridiculous to assume they were behind it.

I think that considering a lot of these artists were friends going into the industry (like Ward and Hirsch), as well as the overwhelming success from shows like Adventure Time and Gravity Falls, it's more likely the change of style came from that.
>>
>>83487298
Same boat here still paying them off though. What can we do to protect the youth of tomorrow?
>>
>>83486224
Interested bump.
>>
>>83487298
>>83490668
is it alright with you guys to show examples of your work?
>>
>>83492263
Sure I need money and publicity never hurt any body

tylogandavis.com
>>
>>83493681
>tylogandavis.com

your 3d work is nice. and so is your 2d work.
i guess whoever's in charge of your art college must be a huge snobbish bigot huh?
>>
File: daffystare.jpg (20 KB, 240x228) Image search: [Google]
daffystare.jpg
20 KB, 240x228
>>83486224
>increased attention to backdrops and storytelling
>increased attention
>storytelling
>>
>>83493681
That 2D is pretty bad
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.