[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rather than a regularly scheduled release, can't the major
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7
File: Dc-vs.-marvel.jpg (244 KB, 570x330) Image search: [Google]
Dc-vs.-marvel.jpg
244 KB, 570x330
Rather than a regularly scheduled release, can't the major comic publishers just release stories of their characters when they have a really good one? It just feels like the burden of keeping an on-going universe is the biggest reason we get retarded storylines on a regular basis, too.
>>
You miss the entire point of their business model.
>>
File: SecretoftheUnicorn.jpg (921 KB, 2609x3575) Image search: [Google]
SecretoftheUnicorn.jpg
921 KB, 2609x3575
>>83484989
Sample of a title that only had infrequent releases
>>
File: hellboy_001b.jpg (773 KB, 1222x1700) Image search: [Google]
hellboy_001b.jpg
773 KB, 1222x1700
>>83485092
>>
>look at how hip and alternative my comic reading choices are: the thread
>>
>>83485027
Their model of constantly cranking out bullshit?
>>
File: $_57.jpg (138 KB, 700x928) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
138 KB, 700x928
>>83484989
Instead of being a faggot, OP, can't you just learn to follow good writers/artists and not characters.
>>
>>83485437
>I am obligated to read mainstream comics for some reason
>>
>>83485502
It still messes up continuity. No matter how good a writer is, if he inherits a bad story, it's gonna be hard to salvage.
>>
>>83484989
>just release stories of their characters when they have a really good one?

I'll be as succinct as I can: People with money and people with good taste interested in comic books are separate audiences.

Wolverine: Debt of Death will never be as remembered or as high selling as the Death of Wolverine. It's a simple, casual relationship with money, marketing, and where the paying audience is.
>>
File: warlock-1000-clowns011.jpg (193 KB, 700x1051) Image search: [Google]
warlock-1000-clowns011.jpg
193 KB, 700x1051
>>83485456
Yes, it's all in Jim Starlin's Adam Warlock
>>
>>83485456
i give you a "lol, made my day"
And than, its a magazine model, trying to put out parts of the story for money to make the next issue. And to bind the reader by having it regular.

How many series felt off the r4eader radar because they were not regular.

Its both a risky situation.
Problem here is that Marvel or DC dont put effort into it, like a times magazin to get quality.
>>
File: ultraenthroned.jpg (192 KB, 958x688) Image search: [Google]
ultraenthroned.jpg
192 KB, 958x688
>>83485736
Why do you care about continuity? Why? It is like people that moan about "canon". I was here when Disney gutted the Star Wars EU. Loads of people, like you, rushed around saying the world had ended.

But had it? The sky didn't fall. Those stories weren't erased. They still existed. All those stories people enjoyed still existed. Continuity/canon, none of it really matters except the good stories you take on.

Most of these heroes have been interpreted a million ways but it doesn't destroy the character and it doesn't stop a good writer/artist from making a good adventure.

Worry less about continuity and more about adventure. With all these sprawling heroes, different editors, writers, artists, tones, genres, retroactive origins, you could be sat here all day worrying about those things. But it shouldn't take away from a good tale.
>>
>>83485620
You can read whatever you want. Just don't get preachy about it.

How many "look at this boring shit, tin-tin is for hipsters" threads you see on any given day?
>>
File: warlock-1000-clowns012.jpg (201 KB, 700x1047) Image search: [Google]
warlock-1000-clowns012.jpg
201 KB, 700x1047
>>83485859
I still can't believe this got published
>>
>>83485891
You misread. My argument is regarding the type of release correlating with the quality of the story. Tin-tin is an example for one side.
>>
>>83485859
one must imagine the clowns happy
>>
>>83484989
>Rather than a regularly scheduled release, can't the major TV networks just release entire seasons when they have a really good one? It just feels like the burden of keeping episodes of an ongoing series is the biggest reason we get retarded shows on a regular basis, too.
>>
>>83485936

Tin Tin is old; and esoteric to Americans.

What kind of point are you trying to make?
>>
>>83486353
It's a sample of an infrequent release with mostly good quality stories.
>>
>>83486590

And what does that have to do with American comic books? Different decade, different market.
>>
>>83484989
Do you even know how their business models works

Nightwing has enough fans to support a mediocre slog of a book at 30k+. No matter how bad, good, or mediocre it is, it'll stay around that number. Putting a good writer on it with a fresh idea won't suddenly make sales go up unless it's a star writer, and fans are bound to cry about him being changed.

And no way would DC miss out on 100k+ a month with Batman.
>>
>>83486925
That there is an example of an infrequent release that had consistently good quality that perhaps American comic books can adapt the same format.

As >>83487102 says, there is a monetary aspect to it, obviously, but what I'm arguing for, is that for quality's sake, is it possible for them to release only good stories, albeit more infrequently.

Maybe they can pick up the revenue by publishing more titles.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.