[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know a lot of people didn't like New 52 Superman, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 9
File: Superman-52.jpg (420 KB, 550x450) Image search: [Google]
Superman-52.jpg
420 KB, 550x450
I know a lot of people didn't like New 52 Superman, but he was my Superman.

I'm a casual, I know, but the comics that got me into Superman were Morrison's Action, Johns's and Yang's main series, and Snyder's Unchained. Also, his appearances in Supergirl.

I just hope they don't retcon him evil.
>>
>>83474895
>I just hope they don't retcon him evil.
You may be casual but you're already familiar with how DC works apparently.
>>
He'll probably be Kal-L. It's the only theory that explains the second Lois.
>>
>>83474895

Son, you may be new. But I'm sorry to say you're probably right.
>>
>>83474895
>I just hope they don't retcon him evil
You may be relatively new, but you speak with the voice of an old timer.
>>
>>83474895
>I just hope they don't retcon him evil

Welcome to /co/ casual, we've been waiting for you.
>>
>>83474895
As a person who got into comics due to New 52, he was muh Supes too, Anon.
>>
>>83474895
But superman is already evil
>>
Why do people put up with this shit? Knowing that the characters & stories you love will eventually be forgotten, overwritten or retconed?
>>
>>83474895

20 bucks says he's the new Superboy Prime.
>>
>>83475307
Because it's generally fun while it lasts.
>>
>>83475250
lex face
>>
>>83475398
This. Reading comics is about enjoying the stories in the moment. It sucks when your favorite story isn't relevant or canonical but at least you got a good time out of it
>>
File: PicsArt_06-04-12.49.47.jpg (235 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_06-04-12.49.47.jpg
235 KB, 1600x900
Posting best Superman costume
>>
>>83475398
But why not read something that's not only fun, but has a beginning, middle & ending?
>>
>>83475538
Thats the whole point of cape comics. Thats like half of why I read them. There is no end. You are going to get stories about these characters forever.
>>
>>83474963
They also need to explain parallax/Hal and new 52 Hal. DC fucked this shit up.
>>
>>83475485
i prefer the rebirth costume, pretty glad to see this one go desu.
>>
If he is (or was) evil, I could totally see the twist where "Even though he was evil he came to love the world and do the right thing", or something along those lines.

And you know what? I'd be okay with that.
>>
I liked his cocky attitude in the beginning. I don't want to say it was more "realistic", but seeing that this Superman was supposed to be younger and didn't have the prolonged guidance of his parents I think that could be expected.
>>
>>83477765
I like the idea of him being Superboy-Prime.
>>
>>83474895
The only casuals were the ones crying NOT MUH and HE'S EDGY without ever reading a fucking book.

Also fuck Johns and his nostalgia boner.
>>
>>83477777
I think people overstated how important it was to his characterization. Didn't last more than a couple of issues.
>>
>>83477821
Let's go full Morrison.
What if he was written by Superboy-Prime?
All SBP wanted was to be respected and loved and so he wrote stories about a version of himself that was.
>>
>>83475445
The last couple of years DC has been pushing the idea that no story ever becomes irrelevant or "stops existing". Multiversity, convergence, rebirth. It even goes as far back as final crisis. Maybe even Morrison's Animal Man.
>>
>>83474895
>I know a lot of people didn't like New 52 Superman, but he was my Superman.

Same. My life has changed in so many ways since I met him, and he's been there for me the last five years. Sometimes in great stories, sometimes in shitty ones.

I'll never forget you, Superbro.
>>
>>83475307
Because it doesn't stop the stories from existing.
>>
>>83477996
>actually liked nu52 shit
>not a casual

Pick one
>>
>>83477777
It was fine in Action Comics but godawful in Justice League.

Action Comics supes was cocky and reckless but he was still the people's champ.

Justice League supes was a smug meathead.
>>
>>83477733
>preferring the blue footies
>>
>>83482451
to be fair early nu52 all Justice league members were more flanderized than their solo books
>>
eh whatever, a superman is a superman. it's still the same guy who flies around with the s shield, i don't care what particular retcon garbage origin story he owes his existence to.
>>
I never got why a lot of people found Superman comics boring. I think they're some of the most fun out there. Supes fights aliens, alien-robots, robots, andriods, humans with tech and mechs, gods and some weirder shit here and there.

Plus he has one of the greatest villains and characters of all time. Lex Luthor.

What's not to like?
>>
>>83474895
Don't worry, anon. You're not alone. I was iffy on him at first but he grew on me and he's now "muh Superman." Meanwhile he gets killed off in a shitty arc all so the "one true Superman" can take the role. It's fucking bullshit but what can you do.
>>
>>83474940
>>83474978
>>83475174
>>83475217
>>83475250
>>83475372
you don't have to quote it each time
>>
>>83475307
The (hopefully) same reason people put up with living even though they know they'll just die anyway : because it's about the journey and not the destination.
>>
>>83483632
It looks more like fabric than robot armor, and the lack of red underwear isn't as awkward when everything else is blue.
>>
>>83478045
Why make himself die then when he could still live on?
Unless he found a way to influence the lighting bolts that flue away from N52 Superman and managed one of them to hit him in his world, making him Superboy again.
>>
Can someone please explain to me why vol. 8 of New 52 Supes was renumbered back to 1?
>>
>>83483680
it made the character interactions boring as shit and it really hurt the book
>>
>>83474895
Superman has died or assumed to have died multiple times throughout DC history.

Every time he came back evil or it turns out the evil Superman wasnt the real superman.
>>
File: tbPStL3.jpg (720 KB, 950x1441) Image search: [Google]
tbPStL3.jpg
720 KB, 950x1441
>>83475485
>best supes costume
>not pic related.
>>
>>83477694
>DC fucked this shit up.
DC fucking up a soft reboot? What else is new?
>>
>>83475485
I actually love the Nu52 suit.
>>
>>83482451
Johns' Superman #39 was an amazing portrayal of the character.
>>
>>83474895
New 52 Superman was great. He was a nice new take on Superman, and he made me love the character again despite being a fan of him for the past 20 years. He had an interesting youth and had a good number of quality arcs. Johns' Men of tomorrow was good, so was Pak's run, as well as Morrison's. He had a pretty good number of quality arcs considering he lasted for only 5 years.

I got weepy when he died. That's all you need to know.
>>
File: 1464410494284.jpg (405 KB, 900x1367) Image search: [Google]
1464410494284.jpg
405 KB, 900x1367
>>83492282
looks good cause the blue boots aren't showing
>>
Does anyone have the Superman Rebirth costume redesign that was created by /co/? It had a gold belt and red booties and was amazing
>>
File: 1461982738044.jpg (478 KB, 963x1500) Image search: [Google]
1461982738044.jpg
478 KB, 963x1500
>>83494971
I know what you're talking about, but so far this is the only thing from the Rebirth threads I have that is Superman and has an outfit with a gold belt and red boots

Everything else I saved was those gag edits where he became more progressively bluer before just becoming a solid silhouette of blue.
>>
>>83492282
>He was wearing that under the black suit the entire time.
How many layers does he have to tear off before he gets back to normal clothes.
>>
>>83495092
This costume is goddamn majestic. While I still prefer the original suit with trunks and all, this is the first costume that I prefer to the Fleischer Superman costume which I originally held in my number 2 spot. Number three spot was the Justice Lord Superman soon after.
>>
>>83475250
Don't you have some cakes to steal?
>>
I started reading cape comics with New 52, and Superman was my intro too. And while it sucks to see him dead, maybe for good kek, if I'm being honest I enjoyed Lois and Clark and the pre-Flashpoint Superman way more. Don't know why, but he felt much more interesting and human than New52 Supes did. Honestly I think it'd just be weird and a little ridiculous to have two Supermans flying around all the time.

On a similar subject this whole Rebirth thing has me diving in deeper into my backlog of pre-Flashpoint stuff. I've basically been reading Superman from CoIE and working my way through all the Super-books as they were published. It's been pretty fun read so far, although I'm getting to the Death of Superman soon and I'm kind of worried after all the shit I've heard about it over the years.
>>
File: Superman Rebirth in a nutshell.jpg (439 KB, 1211x805) Image search: [Google]
Superman Rebirth in a nutshell.jpg
439 KB, 1211x805
>It's been 2 weeks.
>Still hardly any jokes about Superman being a pile of ashes.
>>
>>83475485
Get better taste
>>
>>83474895
You picked, essentially, the three best runs for New 52 Superman. If you are interested in more and haven't read the Batman-Superman books, I'd recommend those, at least the first two trades worth.

>>83482451
>>83483680
The early Justice League characterizations were as idiotic and nonsensical as the first stories, all the way to the set up and including Trinity War.
>>
>>83474895
>>83475236
>>83479625
>>83484177
>>83493791

Hang in their Super-bros. As someone who just got muh Kal back I just want to encourage you to keep hope.
>>
>>83501851
As far as I'm concerned, the Action Comics Morrison version was as real as anything else the past 30 or so years.
>>
>>83504000
Well you obviously don't count.
>>
>>83474895
With modern, decompressed storytelling the way it is, does a version of a character that was only around for 5 years really have enough stories for you to get emotionally attached?

Is he just "your Superman" because you haven't tried other versions yet?

What about even the Timm cartoon?
>>
>>83504000
Seconded, anon. I want to like Johns as a writer (he seems like a really nice guy) but he's constantly squandering Morrison's concepts.
>>
>>83474895
This will sound autistic as fuck but when I read Superman comics Supes in his costume makes me feel hope, like anyone in the DC universe would when Superman shows up to save the day. I just never felt that with New 52 Superman.
>>
>>83484094
>Plus he has one of the greatest villains and characters of all time. Lex Luthor.

Because Lex Luthor is kind of like the Joker in that some times he's too much.

If I were DC I'd add a thing where no one can write about Lex Luthor for 5 years or so; that way his return will be better and make him an awesome villain again. Kind of like what they did with the Joker after Death in the Family.
>>
He wasn't your Superman, in truth, there wasn't much difference between him and pre Flashpoint Superman, I'd say they're the same.

He's not yours, or ours, he simply was Superman, for everyone.
>>
>>83484094
because we aren't kids anymore. Adult readers don't want any of that corny shit, we just want the kind of adult, mature action that only the Batman family and Avengers comics can provide.
>>
>>83505402
>Avengers comics can provide.

What is this nonsense?
>>
>>83475485
Same, not having briefs and a collar make a hge positive difference.
>>
>>83505325
Nah, Luthor can just go lower key and not actively do obviously evil stuff. He functions as a part of Superman's regular cast.
>>
Good riddance
>>
>>83474895
if their reveal that New Superman is Quarmer i will
okay with it
>>
>>83504045
Those issues sold really well, the trades were on the NYT best seller lists, so obviously your too stupid to know what counts.
>>
>>83505508
he must be thinking of the mature storytelling of the Bendis New Avengers era.
>>
File: hopeman.jpg (274 KB, 738x857) Image search: [Google]
hopeman.jpg
274 KB, 738x857
>>83474895
What was the point in killing him in the first place? Like OP, I also got into comics with the New 52 and during the DC You relaunch, we got both Superbro and Superdad working on the same earth.

The pre52 crybabies had their boring Superman and I got my inexperienced hothead Superman. On theory this should've made everyone happy
>>
>>83509435
SuperDad can be Clark White, join the JSA, be a farmer like his Pa Kent.
SuperBro can be Clark Kent, join the JL, be a reporter, as a younger Superman.
No fake Superman, no evil Superman. NO mergers. Both Kal-Els with different takes and different status quos. Different suits.
>>
>>83510933
This. Also, we get issues where both Supermen hang out and learn from each other
>>
>>83474895
What if New 52 Superman is Dr.Mahattan
>>
>>83474895
Morrison's action comics run ended strong, but New 52 Supes was mostly just eh stories with a tacky armor suit and a terrible dynamic with Lois.
>>
i really can't get into DC, even more Supes, i find him as boring as Captain America.

but when i was a kid i really loved when Superman went electric and split in a Blue and Red version, i made my gramps buy it all for me.
>>
File: images.jpg (39 KB, 250x374) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
39 KB, 250x374
>>83513580
found an image, the red one was really badass and had a lot of personality
>>
>>83512096

The biggest problem with Post-Flashpoint Superman is that he was, for the absolute majority of it, written exactly the same as Pre-Flashpoint Superman
>>
>>83513815
Ok tell me why people had a problem with these. Is it literally "not muh"?
>>
>>83513850
So, look at them
>>
The best thing about all this whining how Nu52 Superman is not the true Superman, only the pre-Flashpoint is, is the fact that Superman's fan whined in the same way about post-Crisis iteration of the character. Example - http://archive.is/0jqTL (archived because of anti-spam filter)
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.