[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pulp Comics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 1463123596016.jpg (262 KB, 971x1400) Image search: [Google]
1463123596016.jpg
262 KB, 971x1400
Are there any /co/ reading guides for pulp comics? I'm interested in learning more about fantasy and sc-fi pulp comics and I have absolutely no idea where to start.
>>
>>83469316
>novel
>novelet
Pic unrelated, I guess. I didn't even notice that. I just got it off google images to make the thread.
>>
>>83469316
Technically there is no such thing as "pulp comics". "Pulp" were magazines that contained short fictional prose stories by popular authors. These were popular in the 20s and 30s or thereabouts.

If you can define what you're looking for in comics more clearly it'll be easier to recommend stuff for you.
>>
The Shadow, The Spirit, The Question, Heavy Metal/Epic comics, Dr. Spektor and Dr. Solar and miscellaneous Gold Key comics, Tarzan, Corto Maltese, things like that.

Look at the EC/Dark Horse series of reprints and just pick some titles - for the most part (due to the infantile nature of the medium back then) they won't be good, but they'll be classic.
>>
>>83470018
>If you can define what you're looking for in comics more clearly it'll be easier to recommend stuff for you.
Well I guess if it's not technically pulp, I mean things that fit that aesthetic/theme. I'm not entirely sure.

>>83470305
Thank you for the recommendations, I'll check those out. And, yeah, I'm not expecting them to be good I just what to be more familiar with that era. It should at least be informative, if not entertaining.
>>
>>83470366
If you mean only stuff from like the 40s?

The Spirit
Planet Comics

For more modern takes on the style:

The Shadow (DC era and Matt Wagner's run on the Dynamite era)
Tarzan (DC era)
The Prowler
The Spider
Conan (Marvel era, especially the first decade or so, and the first volume of the Dark Horse era)
Kull (Marvel era)
>>
>>83470427
>>83470305
Not OP, but I too share a liking for the good old pulp heroes.

do dynamite's take on the classic heroes are good?

Masks looks interesting for me, is it good?

also, i'm interested in Phantom Stranger, Doc Savage, The Spirit, Lady Blackhawk and Dick Tracy. What comics of them can you recommend?
>>
>>83470604
>Masks looks interesting for me, is it good?
I liked it. First is more classical, Masks 2 has them travel through time and getting alternate looks.
>>
>>83470427
From the look of it, Planet Comics is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Thanks.
>>
thought I'd never have a chance to drag this thing out, though it's not /co/ it might interest you

I had a class in college on science fiction (don't laugh) and we read most of this book (seriously stop laughing) and while some of the stories are kinda meh there's at least a few that are worth reading (though i cant recall their titles)
>>
>>83470939
forgot pic
>>
There are also many more mainstream comics that have strong pulp tones. Hellboy comes to mind, aswell as some Batman stories. Hell you could even count some Wolverine stories like the Jungle Adventure by Walt Simonsen&Mignola
>>
>>83471158
by your logic, you might as well read any mainstream comic. That's not the point.
>>
File: 1463123596017.jpg (569 KB, 1024x1565) Image search: [Google]
1463123596017.jpg
569 KB, 1024x1565
>>83470939
>>83471119
That looks cool. And a college course on science fiction sounds interesting.
>>
>>83471398
Thats why I said SOME. When it comes to comics, the pulps and weird fiction had a huge influence. When it comes to superheros obviously the line is blurred (example Batman).

An interesting thought would be a pulp story set in 2016. HavenĀ“t seen that yet. Most of the time its just 1930-1950s
>>
>>83471893
isn't a pulp story sorta like the opposite of modern story telling?
>>
>>83469316
comicbookplus.com
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.