[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what does /co/ miss about carol as Ms. Marvel >pic related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6
File: 1464920218438.jpg (30 KB, 324x600) Image search: [Google]
1464920218438.jpg
30 KB, 324x600
So what does /co/ miss about carol as Ms. Marvel
>pic related
>>
File: danvers_taking_it_down.jpg (60 KB, 453x483) Image search: [Google]
danvers_taking_it_down.jpg
60 KB, 453x483
>>83429721

You know, I've never read Ms. Marvel stuff.
Is it worth reading?
>>
File: 1452195108814.jpg (130 KB, 712x1121) Image search: [Google]
1452195108814.jpg
130 KB, 712x1121
Her having a personality with character flaws, even if they weren't realized to their potential. Also the costume, which is miles better than what she has now.

>>83431756
Not really. I mean it's better than what we have now, but that isn't saying much.
>>
Better albeit still shitty costume, had better writing, a personality, memories, was a real marvel character with flaws.
>>
>>83431756
The stuff between dissassembled and KSD's disaster were her best years yet.

She was on multiple avenger teams, leading atleast one of them, had a massive confidence boost after House of M due to her being one of the most popular and greatest heroes in that reality, was spearheading a bulk of the initiative, and had a solo that was actually worth reading, where she was training initiative recruits, running a SHIELD team on the side, and working for one of the government agencies to take down terrorism.

Truth be told if Marvel was ever gonna do the captain marvel switch over it should have been then, while she was actually being written well, and a prominent member of the avengers, instead of dredging up mar-vell's poor old corpse to give her a needless, "be the captain" peptalk and then killing him off 1 issue later, but instead they waited for her to fall into obscurity again and only promote her when Marvel was getting shit for being sexist whatevers. Then instead of focusing on the character they just rebranded her, gave her a new SHITTY look, and just threw her into multiple different series doing less to flesh out the character and more to just expose her to the world.

And yeah, I'm a bit jaded, they took a character I liked and butchered her, literally mind stripping her of everything she used to be.
>>
File: theman.jpg (158 KB, 758x707) Image search: [Google]
theman.jpg
158 KB, 758x707
The costume.

>We [Cockrum and Stan Lee] went round and round about Ms. Marvel’s costume, too. Remember she started with a female version of Captain Marvel’s costume only with an open belly, and we all bitched about that because none of us could figure a rationale for it. So they closed the belly opening, but we said, ‘No, she needs another costume.’ We hassled Stan about it for so long that he said, ‘All right! If you think you’re so smart, design a new one.’ And I must have gone through 50 designs! Some of ‘em I would xerox and try out in different colors, and Stan would go, ‘No, no, no, no! Get that out of here.” Finally I did the one with the lightning bolt and sash, and I took it to Stan who said, ‘That’s what you should have done from the start! That’s what I like: Shiny leather and tits & ass!”
>>
File: carol.jpg (7 KB, 184x274) Image search: [Google]
carol.jpg
7 KB, 184x274
The costume, mask, secret identity, hair, and femininity.
>>
I first saw her in the 90s X-Men cartoon, seeing how Rogue stole her powers and made her into a vegetal was gut-wrenching.
>>
>>83431811

Where do you get off saying she has no flaws anymore?

>Over-aggressive
>Not very smart
>Dates a nigger
>Terrible decision-maker
>Overconfident
>Questionable moral compass

Also she doesn't look like a fucking stripper anymore.
>>
File: ms marvel drinking.jpg (39 KB, 324x600) Image search: [Google]
ms marvel drinking.jpg
39 KB, 324x600
I like her because she's a perfect example of how a terrible person can still be a superhero and save lives.

Let's be fucking blunt: Carol Danvers is a TERRIBLE PERSON. Hank Pym at least has a sense of altruism and good judgment. Carol is an alcoholic. Carol is a racist. Carol is a jack-booted fascist thug. Carol kills people purely from the rush of adrenaline she gets. Carol is the absolute scum of the Earth.

And yet she has superpowers and a superhero outfit, so she goes out and saves people. She's actually kind of a meditation on the powerful cultural osmosis of the idea of a superhero. In a world without superheroes, Carol would have flown off to some African shithole and turned herself into a god-queen worshiped by the natives. But the example of superheroes--Captain America, Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Fantastic Four-- is so potent that she decided to try her hand at being a superhero instead. She has powers, so she becomes a superhero. It's like how if you're tall you're automatically supposed to be a basketball player. She's an example of stereotypes and peer pressure working for the betterment of the world.

Or she was until KSD cocked her up.
>>
>>83432127
lol marvel wants her to be their wonder woman, it ain't gonna happen and the film will be shit
>>
>>83429721
Carol as Ms Marvel is like classic Peter Parker. Pete's struggle was getting out of debt, and juggling his cape life with his social life. He had conflict which kept his stories interesting.

Now that Pete is rich, that struggle is gone. And he's less interesting for it. Same deal with Carol. Her struggle was about trying to live up to Mar-Vell's legacy. But now that (Marvel wants us to believe) she's done it, she has nowhere else to progress. It's a stagnation that ultimately will make her character remain B list at best.
>>
>>83429721
Nothing, her new series is great.
>>
>>83432356
Damn Jew.
>>
>>83431756
I don't really know her history, but her latest run is fairly enjoyable.

She's Marvel's Commander Shepard
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.