[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did she get so popular so fast? She used to be a relatively
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9
File: Harley_Quinn_006.jpg (13 KB, 564x194) Image search: [Google]
Harley_Quinn_006.jpg
13 KB, 564x194
How did she get so popular so fast? She used to be a relatively niche character then in the past few years she just blew up in popularity. Now she's a household name.
>>
>>83397694
I don't think you know what a household name means.
>>
>>83397694
the last few years have been like
>cool people are FINALLY in charge
>let's make up for years of our favorite shit getting overlooked!
>but we're gonna start with the shit we liked back in the day even if it wasn't that overlooked for its genre, just that the entire genre was underappreciated
>even though the best thing to do would be to support whatever's the current up and coming thing
>except there really arent good new things, or they're being hidden really well, so all we have is the old shit
>only oh right, we have much better taste than the fuckups-in-charge in our day, but we're a lot worse at their job in general.. so we don't know what to do
>>
>>83397694
Video games.
>>
They saw how many panels people posted of Waypool and remade Harley into that.
>>
>>83397694
She was extremely popular in the DCAU, anon.
>>
arkham games gave her the push then they put her into suicide squad comics then she rose from there
>>
>so fast
first this
>>83399119
then this
>>83398881
then a movie
I think we found a newfag
>>
File: Harley1436910288583_ass.webm (217 KB, 1068x600) Image search: [Google]
Harley1436910288583_ass.webm
217 KB, 1068x600
>>83397694
>>
>>83397694
She was hot in Arkham games.
>>
>>83399119
She was created for the DCAU anon.
>>
>>83399936
Yes and she was extremely popular.
>>
File: tWvYM7UE_400x400.jpg (27 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
tWvYM7UE_400x400.jpg
27 KB, 400x400
What is it that happened that caused them to want to integrate her into the DC comicverse anyway? None of the other Batman TAS OCs got that treatment. Andrea should've been the one to get all the attention Harley got.
>>
>>83397694

When white trash and/or chicks too ugly to be sluts started finding her ~sexy and so chose to live through her.
>>
Arkham Asylum turned her into a slut and it snowballed.
>>
>>83400039
Because of her extreme fan following from the DCAU. People asked for her to be added to the comics for a long time. When they finally added her in NML she got her own 50 page special
>>
>>83397694
Tumblr and Reddit discovered her
>>
>>83400039
Their Mr Freeze origin did
And Angent Montoya I believe >>83400547
This. Then New 52 gave her that outfit
>>
>>83400675
but they shat the bed with Montoya by turning her from a competent cop with minimal characterization into an unlikable lesbian with minimal characterization
>>
She's an abuse victim and people that identify with that lover her current story arc of breaking free from her abuser and becoming her own person.
>>
>>83400675
Mr. Freeze doesn't fully count, he was already an established character. Though, I guess you could consider it a gray area.
>>
>>83400569
It sucks that they couldn't chose to like an actual good character from the cartoons that actually have something to add, like Phantasm or Music Meister. Whenever Harley's used I can't help but feel she's taking away from Joker's personality.
>>
>>83397694
>>83399191

Besides these explanations she's popular with girls because she also has a vagina and dates crazy violent psychopaths.

Any time attractive females like anything it instantly becomes "popular".
>>
>>83401326
is not her relationship with the joker what sells though. Harley Quinn has been doing amazing ever since it got published and she's not with him once. She actually kicks his ass and leaves him for good.
>>
>>83397694
> dem hips
Do you need to ask why
>>
Fast? She's been around for more than twenty years.
>>
I can't look at Harley the same way again ever since I found out that there's a large group on Tumblr that want to have sex with the Columbine shooters. From that moment on things got 2real4me.
>>
>>83401526
>I can't look at Harley the same way again ever since I found out that there's a large group on Tumblr that want to have sex with the Columbine shooters
There's always going to be women that want to fuck famous criminals, it's a sad fact of life.
>>
File: 1464498663741.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
1464498663741.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2160
>>83399862
>>83399892
>>
>>83397694
BTAS made her a household name.
>>
the real answer is that the 90s kids who grew up watching B:TAS are now 20something NEETs and DC is responding to the market demands they create
>>
File: YDQZyoe.jpg (51 KB, 670x500) Image search: [Google]
YDQZyoe.jpg
51 KB, 670x500
>>83401597
Yeah, but these assholes go ones step beyond, literal Harley Quinn teir levels of obsessed. There was this one youtuber who had posters of them all over her room and got tattoos (Her channle got taken down.)
>>
File: 1464497895803.jpg (446 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1464497895803.jpg
446 KB, 2560x1440
>>83401667
this
>>
>>83401813
>he starts moaning in your ear
What? Do some guys actually do that or does she just think some guys do the same things as women?
>>
Vulture, New York Magazine's online pop culture site, has an article about her origins and how she became so popular:

http://www.vulture.com/2014/12/harley-quinn-dc-comics-suicide-squad.html

http://archive.is/sVaIu

>Fans immediately responded to this strange, passionate woman. Tara Strand was about 15 and living in the Podunk town of Victorville, California, when she first saw Harley on The Animated Series, and right away she "felt this big kinship with her."

>"There weren't a lot of female characters at the time like her who were so human and unique and refreshing and weird, and not just sexy," she said. "Harley was the one person who can handle what the Joker can dish out. She’s maybe a little masochistic, but the Joker needs somebody who can deal with the Joker, and Harley’s it."

>Strand, like countless other viewers around the world, became Harley Quinn obsessives. She sought out fellow enthusiasts on the nascent World Wide Web and made friends as far away as Germany and Australia. (It's hard to get a number demonstrating the breadth of '90s Harley fandom, but Sorkin, Dini, and Timm all recalled torrents of fan letters.) And for the most part, Strand's Quinn-thusiast friends were women. Together, they compiled online indexes about Harley and composed long essays about what makes her tick. Building a woman-dominated superhero fandom in the mid '90s was a remarkable thing, and Harley had inspired them to do it.

>"Feminism is about showing women as fully fleshed out human beings, and that's what Harley is," Strand said. "She doesn't make choices that are smart or good for a woman, but she gets to make those choices. Men are allowed to be fuck-ups in all kinds of characters, and women aren't. We have to be idealized. She gets to not be."
>>
>>83401366
That's more fuel for it really?

>yeah you go girl, you don't need that clown in your life anyway.
>>
File: 1355159026359.jpg (37 KB, 260x285) Image search: [Google]
1355159026359.jpg
37 KB, 260x285
>>83402070
Talk about over-romanticizing a tragic character. Harley was duped by Joker's insanity and lost grip on reality despite having a bright future as a psychiatrist in training who gave it all up chasing a man who didn't love her. And they're playing her up as some strong independent woman.
>>
>>83401939
She probably never had sex with anyone and is clueless. I mean, would /you/ have sex with someone who is turned on by the Columbine shooters?
>>
>>83402198

Talk about missing the point. You probably don't even notice you're framing everything about her as dependent on a man.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.