[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I recently rewatched all of Korra. I hated it when it was airing.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 57
File: korra 3.png (908 KB, 1280x725) Image search: [Google]
korra 3.png
908 KB, 1280x725
I recently rewatched all of Korra.

I hated it when it was airing. I think this is because we had a week, if not weeks between episodes which gave all of us time to nitpick every last detail.

I marathoned each season, separately of course.

It is much better in one sitting.

Has /co/ come around to Korra, or is it still the same?
>>
>>83301060
I'm sure that most people that reply to this are going to say it's shit like every other thread, but I honestly like Korra. Not as good as the Last Airbender, but still enjoyable for me.
>>
Mediocre is the word you're looking for.
>>
>>83301060
>I recently rewatched all of Korra.

You have my sympathies.
>>
>>83301060
>I hated it when it was airing. I think this is because we had a week, if not weeks between episodes which gave all of us time to nitpick every last detail.

It doesn't take a week to pick apart every detail. The streams showed that every detail could be picked out in one sitting so long as the cringe didn't have you close out the stream.

For example, I haven't watched the show since dropping it after season 2 but I recall that Tenzin is telling Korra to listen to what she feels is right. Despite knowing and seeing that spirits and humans are naturally opposed to each other by virtue of spirits now reacting to human emotions that are not the airbender aesthetic of detachment or happy-go-lucky not a care in the world.
Sure they could already come into the human world and sure Vaatu is the one that made it possible in the first place, that doesn't mean you have to leave the door open so they can all come and go as they please regardless of whatever solstice or season is in session.

And the hypocrisy of the adults was never addressed since they constantly had Korra messing things up or going along with stupid plans or making her own plans which failed because otherwise Bryke couldn't write the story.

It is much better to stop watching it if you find yourself doing so or never watch it in the first place.
>>
the overarching story lurched around with no coherent goal or purpose, and the vast majority of the characters didn't have any purpose or reason for existing. the whole thing was a jumbled mess. if the show had had a real story that spanned multiple seasons, and had characters who fit into said story and played meaningful roles advancing the plot, then it would have been better
>>
I'm going to try and list everything wrong with book one. Feel free to add or refute anything.

>Wasting multiple episodes on a shitty Earth Rumble MMA knock off.

>Poorly handeled love triangle poisons character interaction throughout the season.

>Massive tone whiplashes every other episode.

>Atrocious pacing. Nothing ever develops naturally, it just races down the tracks to the next plot point.

>No real development of Republic City as a setting, we never really see the bender / non bender issue beyond the first episode with the triad thugs, and the triads themselves have barely any impact in the story at all.

>Villans are presented as invincible only to be easily defeated when the plot demands it.

>Half the cast is superfluous, to the point the narrative would develop better without them.

>Main character literally cries her way into a fix-all solution for her problems.
>>
>>83301723
Wasn't it majorly hurt by nickelodeon yanking around its air time and funding?
>>
>>83301060
Second season is really good EXCEPT for the main plot.
>>
File: 1463600677902.jpg (136 KB, 649x648) Image search: [Google]
1463600677902.jpg
136 KB, 649x648
>>83301060
I did to get some animation tips.

It felt more boring to be honest. The characters aren't still interesting to see, most doesn't even seem to have reasons to be there.

Didn't worked anon. Too much obvious wasted potential.

Also, the first time that I whatched it was a marathon too.
>>
>No real development of Republic City as a setting, we never really see the bender / non bender issue beyond the first episode with the triad thugs, and the triads themselves have barely any impact in the story at all.

This so much. We learned more about Ba-Sing-Se in half a season of ATLA than we ever did about RC in all the seasons of korra.
>>
>>83301060
Eh, overall a let down but from what I understand they got kneecapped with all the executive meddling giving them a moving box to try and fix the show into which really, really didn't help their mediocrity.

That said, holy shit I could ship kuvira and korra so hard I think I actually died so I'm still glad it was made despite all it's forced petty teen drama.
>>
>>83302425
IIRC AtLA was only promised up to episode 12 but you didn't see them giving Aang the Avatar State plus 3 other elements during The Storm. Just because the higher ups say you are only getting so much to work with is no excuse to throw away your creativity, narrative, lore, characters, setting, or future ideas.

Season 1 of LoK had a healthy budget but squandered it on low stakes MMA fights that didn't amount to anything, weak encounters that showed that despite training for 14 years Korra couldn't do what she did during her firebending test 24/7 yet some no name training in their basement for as long as Amon was getting funding from Hiroshi can pose a problem to fighting with close and long range combat utility.

Besides, if they knew they only had 12 episodes to tell a story, why did they tell THAT story? Why was Korra not central to it like how Aang was to his? Why did they decide to show everyone's worse side when they may have never been able to show us those characters ever again?
>>
>iroh jr and his fleet get trashed 5 minutes in.

Imagine if day of black sun had gone like that.
>>
>>83301060
Korra will always be overshadowed by ATLA. But Season 3 and some of Season 1 was good. Seriously reminded me of Avatar. Season 2, Season 4, and the rest of Season 1 were terrible on varied spectrum of awful. I won't be the one to post why Korra is shit as I'm sure everyone except me has the copypastas of the consistent arguments on why Korra was worse than ATLA. That being said S3 was very well done for the most part and the beginning of S1 was truly a reminder of ATLA.
>>
>>83302960
Technically it could have. Azula just wanted to see their faces when hope was lost, even if just in spirit with her not actually being there to witness all their faces. The airships were primed and ready to launch.
But since this is LoK we can show the civilians and good guys dying or getting thrashed rather than just captured. Well aside from Yue and Jet.
>>
>>83303054

It could have, but it wouldn't have made a satisfying episode.

I guess that's the best way to describe LoK: unsatisfying.
>>
I just finished season 1 and I have a few questions.

While the season as a whole was fine, I feel that the final episode was very loaded. Why was her emotional desperation able to unlock her airbending? Was it due to having a more spiritual connection or was it purely emotional because of Mako being in danger?

Also, at the end, she finally unlocks the avatar state, regains her bending, and returns Lin's bending using energybending(?). If that's the case, how was Amon using bloodbending to permanently remove bending, and why could Katara not heal it? Could Katara have fixed it if it were a full moon and she used bloodbending of her own?
>>
>>83301060
I watched it several episodes at a time over a month and I really like it. It's not perfect, and I'd be hard pressed to get it down to a rating, but I liked it.
However I think part of this is because there are so few cartoons with an overarching plots and characters that develop over time that anything with even a little bit of that come across as really good.
>>
>>83303317
I presume cause it needed knowledge of energy bending.
I dunno, maybe it just damages the chi paths or whatevers more than they can repair it with healing stuff.
>>
>>83303317
She was acting not as her idea of the Avatar, but as Korra. She didn't realize it though, and neither did the audience. And it was further brought down because she was trying to protect a personal attachment.

Then again Aang didn't manage to bend earth at the beast charging Sokka and him. Aang only did it after the fact when commanded by Toph.

That still doesn't explain why Korra wasn't able to airbend when still a kid since she managed to do slight earth, fire, and water. She wasn't "locked into" her idea of the role of the Avatar until this revelation that she was the Avatar. She should have been able to airbend as a free individual like how all airbenders can airbend naturally.

Also Katara not being able to heal Amon's bloodbending is stupid because she literally brought someone back from the dead, past lives and all with chi paths working. Yet she couldn't heal bloodbending damage.
>>
I always enjoyed certain elements and hated others. It actually did action really well and the build up actually was pretty tense each season. The problem is outside of a cool fight or 2, the payoff of the build up was always disappointing outside of season 3 and the characterization of certain main characters made them painful to try and root for.

It's nowhere near as bad as /co/ makes it out to be, but I still do agree it's not really the follow up to Avatar we hoped it would be.
>>
>>83303041
I actually enjoyed season 4 up until the budget cuts REALLY started kicking in near the end.
>>
So much potential, squandered
>>
>>83301060
Shit is shit no matter what pace I spoon it down.
You have fun with that tho.
>>
There's people who dislike Korra for its errors and there's those who want to fuck her, and this triggers the protective urge.
>>
>>83302821
>despite training for 14 years Korra couldn't do what she did during her firebending test 24/7 yet some no name training in their basement
To be fair, there were fledgling equalists just getting their training, but some of the equalists had been with Amon for years.

Besides, conventional benderes don't really have an answer for chi blocking. Ty Lee BTFO how many elite soldiers despite just being a circus girl who happened to know chiblocking?

It's not really fair to call Korra a terrible fighter just based off of that.
>>
>>83305828

Ty Lee wasn't "just a circus girl." She was an amazing martial artist.
>>
>>83301060
I originally watched the 3 first seasons as a marathon because I boarded the train late.
It was meh, but then I don't have that high an opinion on ATLA either.

I don't really plan on re-watching it, there's just too much boring compared to the few entertaining moments.
>>
>>83305786
Only if you're an autist.
>>
>>83305855
>Ty Lee wasn't "just a circus girl." She was an amazing martial artist.

She was a good fighter, but for all we know she could have two weeks of experience. Mai got her skill by throwing knives at her bedroom walls out of boredom and could keep up with the same elite soldiers that Ty Lee could.

It's not really fair to use the equalists as an example to make Korra look like shit when the same thing happened in Atla but nobody makes a fuss about it.
>>
>>83305901
All three fire nation girls attended the fire nation academy for girls which according to Bryke interviews was a sort of military academy for royalty in the fire nation. I'm sure she was raised her entire life to be able to be a boss just like Azula was.
>>
>>83306549

>The Royal Fire Academy for Girls is an upper class educational institution located in the Fire Nation. Ty Lee, Mai, and Princess Azula attended this academy when they were young. The school is renowned and elite, as enrollment is exclusive to the daughters of Fire Nation nobility.
>>
File: korra-sad.png (342 KB, 978x618) Image search: [Google]
korra-sad.png
342 KB, 978x618
>>83301060
Why is depressed Korra so qt
>>
>>83306663
>>83306549
It just sounds like a prep school for the richest people, not a military academy.
>>
>>83306697

You are unfamiliar with militarism.
>>
>>83301369

Overall, yeah. Shit, I remember actually being excited during Book One's airing, but I guess most were. What a fuck up.
>>
File: waitress_by_raichiyo33-d9hsyhf.jpg (225 KB, 800x1152) Image search: [Google]
waitress_by_raichiyo33-d9hsyhf.jpg
225 KB, 800x1152
>>83306692
Cause you want to be the one to turn that frown upside down

Possibly that you feel a chance for decent character development.
>>
Korra should have ended up with Tonraq.
>>
>>83301060
Even if what you're saying is true, I've got no urge to ever watch it again in any format.
>>
>>83306835
>Not in charge of rehabilitating Kuvira
>And falling in love as she tries to bring out her good sides.
>>
>>83306692
Oh look, young Kuvira.
>>
>>83303317
The answer is because they wanted to end it on a positive note. Korra needed to learn airbending so she did at the last moment. It's also why she got the avatar state and energy bending.

I think with bloodbending it's because it wouldn't look as good for Korra (and everyone else) if katara could just remove it at full moon.
>>
>>83301299
you have low standards
>>
>>83305901
>It's not really fair to use the equalists as an example to make Korra look like shit when the same thing happened in Atla
Except Ty Lee caused Aang zero problems whatsoever, and was a better fighter than the Equalists.
>>
>>83303693
I hated it even more than Season 2.
>>
>>83301060
I watched this + avator all in one month this year. (first time)

Korra is shit. The season with the assassin guild wasn't bad but S2 and onward it was clear they had no idea what they were doing. S1 had a nice setup for long term power balance struggles but that just got kicked out the way.

Really disappointed technology wonders didn't come up more and be shown to be slowly making benders nothing more than side shows. Would have loved to see how guns change everything.
>>
>>83303566
>brought
Katara revived Aang with magic spirit water from the Oasis, not just regular water.
>>
>>83309551
>Really disappointed technology wonders didn't come up more and be shown to be slowly making benders nothing more than side shows.

>Missing the point

They got where they are because bending facilitates A LOT technological development. It is incredibly stupid to imagine something that has pratical purposes, and spiritual meaning for thounsand of years as just power level faggotory.
>>
>>83309657
>They got where they are because bending facilitates A LOT technological development
No. It is shown in ATLA and in the comics how benders are "becoming obsolete", not only in war, but in the industry. In the comics they even say that 'they will eventually surpass benders'.

It is not shown too much, however, bending helping the technological advancement. The only time we see bending being used is to generate energy, and even that can be seen more as a crutch since they don't have a better way of doing it. After all, bending depends on human force, so it's very limited.
>>
>>83309817
Man, a metal bender can do on seconds what you would need hours, with a lot of people.

Am earth bender can treat the soil alone, while you would need dozens of people working an entire day.

Hell, an earth bender can easily create a house, think about BA SING SE, that structure would be impossible without bending.

Bending allowed the earth kingdom to develop subways with the technology of middle age.

Water benders can cure wounds, and realize plastic surgery with the technology of the 30.

Hell, water benders can make entire cities on places where it would be impossible to live.

An airbender can run as fast as a car alone, and can fly with just a staff.

There is also the fact that every bender is like a living battery for clean energy.
>>
>>83309943
As i said, those examples are a crutch, NOT technological advancement. Think like this: with our technology today, we can do many things benders couldn't even dream of, but since they depend on bending they will never get there.

The discussion is not if bending is helping, but if it is improving their technology. It is not.
>>
>>83301060
My only real complain with Korra is the sequence of the plotlines. IMO having Equality/ Amon fuckery being book 4 would make more sense, after bending shit has already (almost) wrecked the world over thrice.
>>
>>83301060
It's fine if you ignore the shipping nonsense.
>>
>>83310017
>>83310052
>My only real complain with Korra is the sequence of the plotlines
the plot is full of holes. Are you fine with it?
>>
>>83310012
>As i said, those examples are a crutch, NOT technological advancement.

WHAT THE HELL do you think that is technological development?

>Think like this: with our technology today, we can do many things benders couldn't even dream of

And any bender can still use this like any non bender.

But keep in mind that said things that you are implying, need much more workforce and development than what a bender need.

You need much more effort and people working on to build a jetpack, than to fly like an airbender.

>but since they depend on bending they will never get there. The discussion is not if bending is helping, but if it is improving their technology. It is not.

Bending is literally used to get clean energy and medical treatment. Also any metal work can be done by metal benders way more easily.
>>
File: Korra-Excited.png (1 MB, 1280x722) Image search: [Google]
Korra-Excited.png
1 MB, 1280x722
>>83301060

I saved up the whole thing and marathoned it in December 2014. Loved it.

Haters are just buttmad because it wasn't as good as muh ATLA and will go out of their way to nitpick every single thing possible to make it look bad, while you could do the same thing for ATLA.
>>
>>83310158
>while you could do the same thing for ATLA.

People do. The main difference is that under that severe scrutiny lays a good, albeit flawed, show.
>>
>>83310158
Go on them, do the same thing to ATLA.

Besides the poorly lampshaded Lion Turtle, that is kind of a common on Korra.
>>
I like Korra.
>>
>>83310109
>WHAT THE HELL do you think that is technological development
new technologies being created?

>And any bender can still use this like any non bender.
they won't have it since they are depending on bending. No one will ever try to do a
hydroelectric powerplant because there are benders to do that, despite the powerplant generating infinitely more energy than a bender. No one will even test the technology because the market is full of water/fire benders to take care of energy, and in the future that technology will produce infinitely more.

>You need much more effort and people working on to build a jetpack, than to fly like an airbender
In the case of jet it doesn't necessarily translates, but consider that a jet today is much faster than an airbender. If bending stops people from advancing, they will never get to be that fast.

>Bending is literally used to get clean energy and medical treatment
and they will never get better medical techniques or more energy Because they are dependant on bending. Sorry, but the argument that "bending is better than the technology today" is ridiculous.

>any metal work can be done by metal benders way more easily
except the mass production of metal, that can be done more, cheaper and 24/7 with machines today IF they get the technology. It is ridiculous to think that manpower can be better than machines today.
>>
>>83310270
>Go on them, do the same thing to ATLA.

I'm not gonna tear apart a show I love just to look for flaws. I'll leave that to the autists.
>>
>>83310320
>new technologies being created?

New technologies are created when there is a need for such things.

>they won't have it since they are depending on bending. No one will ever try to do a
hydroelectric powerplant

Why? To be honest it would be even more easy to build an hydroelectric powerplant with the help of benders. For you scenary to work you would need that NO ONE would ever notice that they could get more energy on other way.

>o one will even test the technology because the market is full of water/fire benders to take care of energy

Market work by eficiency and demand. You dont need to be a genius to see that if there is a higher demand that the benders cant provide, they will find alternative ways. And as I said, bending is versatile enough to provide the means to make this other projects easier to acomplish.

>In the case of jet it doesn't necessarily translates

Dont. And you know what it doesnt translate? Because the way that air benders fly is way more like a jetpack than a jet, they fulfil different ways of transportation, it is not a matter of speed, but of praticity.

>If bending stops people from advancing, they will never get to be that fast.

But bending doesnt stop people from advancing. The air benber staff is a form of technollogy, and was used as inspiration to other flying machines, bending also doesnt stopped anyone from developing air balooms or zeppelins.

Hell, the reason for why the fire nation had such massive navy, was because of their work with iron - helped with bending - and fuel - also helped with bending.
>>
>>83310320
>and they will never get better medical techniques or more energy

Why would they stop searching for solutions of things that cause problems?

>Sorry, but the argument that "bending is better than the technology today" is ridiculous.

Who the hell said "today"? Dont be an idiot, it is way better than the 30s, when the show is based on. Hell, they have on ATLA some developments that we could never achieve easily, as I said, like subways of earth.

>except the mass production of metal, that can be done more, cheaper and 24/7 with machines today

And? You seem to think that the world will stop advancing just because they had bending, and not that they will incorporate bending to advance. Bending is an extension of your body, it is like saying that being able to walk will stop the development of cars.

Bending is also a shortcut, that allows the populations to have a better qualitty of life than what they would have without it. They can be a medieval society with acess to technollogy like subways - that uses LESS energy than a subway, for gods sake.

>It is ridiculous to think that manpower can be better than machines today.
It is in a lot of cases. As I said, a single earth bender can create a house in minutes. A single earth bender can in one afternoom make the work of a modern machine on a farm, and you will not need to buy said machine, repair it or buy fuel.
>>
>>83309657
Did you miss the point? Bending was never leaving. This is true. However technology like this guy said >>83309817 is pushing it to the side. Exploring this in detail would have made the show more entertaining than what we got.

The best example of this is in ATLA with the mass spreading of the blimps. Now picture that being extended to what was commonly bender only jobs. Or shit, even the military/police having tons of anti bender gear.
>>
>>83310320
People aren't going to stop inventing because of benders. At worst the governments may just ridicule "out there" non bending ideas slowing down development. But even that is debatable.
>>
File: 1430359320808.png (127 KB, 500x359) Image search: [Google]
1430359320808.png
127 KB, 500x359
>>83301060
I think at best Korra is always going to be remembered as being offensively mediocre. There where a lot of mistakes made like how they fucked up Amon, the vast majority of season 2, the whole light and darkness bullshit, how Korrra is treated so well despite being a complete fuck up to name a few. Season 3 was great, and parts of season 1 and 4 where pretty good, but it was never as consistently good as last airbender, they suffered from not knowing how many seasons they had to work with, and ultimately it never reaches up to its predecessor.
>>
>>83310747
>why would they stop looking for solutions
Because it's not profitable, like we struggle to get rid of gasoline, for example. If a machine would created X production while a Bender can created 2X they wont use the machine and it will never evolve to do 10X production.

>who the hell said today
The only way to get to the technology today is without bending on its way, like the power plant example. The argument is that technology wont go forward and they will be stick on the 30s; or at least evolve at a much slower rate meaning that bending is not helping at all.

>you think the world will stop advancing because of bending
If you can use a Bender for 2X production, of course bending is in the way of technology. Not saying they will stop completely, but they will go at a much slower rate. Bending is not being incorporated on the technology at all; even on the comics we see that, as the machine is in an alternate line of production. Creating more ways to use bending in the industry is NOT to advance, it is to use it as a crutch since you wont look for better ways. Your example of the car doesnt work because half of the population still needed cars and the other half can't go around with bending without destroying the place. Economically speaking, no one would invest in a technology that is producing less, unless he is crazy, and even then it might get him nowhere for decades.

>a single earthbender can created a house in minutes
A tent, maybe, but not a house. And since they rely on bending they will never actually research techniques and instruments that we normally use to created houses and the technology will be lost. Again, it's not even about what is best, but if it is slowing the technology proggress or not. And even in this case you mentioned consider that, even if benders could erect a house in a day, for example, perhaps 100 years in the future we will be able to do it in 5 minutes with advance technology that they will never attempt.
>>
>>83310809
But these things of non benders catching up would not be "new" to their universe and would have happened countless times on the past.

Hell, even modern soldier a would be way more eficient with bending.

This said, I believe that it could be assumed as part of what could legitimate Amon, saying that technology makes bending unecessary, even so it is harder and less eficient on their time.
>>
>>83310885
They will, however, invent at a much slower rate when bending is more profitable, and some inventions might even be lost.
>>
>>83302217
>>Wasting multiple episodes on a shitty Earth Rumble MMA knock off.
the pro bending parts of book 1 were the only good ones
also incidentally it was the only time that korra demonstrated character growth and as a result didnt suck and fail only to be saved by plot convenience and her supporting cast
>>
File: 1464481156838.jpg (36 KB, 498x336) Image search: [Google]
1464481156838.jpg
36 KB, 498x336
>>83311266
Nigga, you have no idea on how development by DEMAND work.

If there is DEMAND ther eis inovar inovation.

Also explain to me how Earth benders wouldn't be able to build a house in minutes.
>>
>>83311304
No champs, they invent EARLIER.

They literally went from middle age to the 30's on 70 years.

>loose technologies
>>
>>83301060
its fucking shit, it doesn't matter if you watch it in one sitting or months apart. what is shit doesn't stop being shit depending on how fast you watch that.
>>
File: Dubsbender.png (116 KB, 500x362) Image search: [Google]
Dubsbender.png
116 KB, 500x362
It was enjoyable, but nowhere near as enjoyable as the original.

It felt way more serious, and the characters weren't as enjoyable because they also felt way more serious.

That and, the whole "each season is its own contained story with its own major conflict and villain, separate from the others" was kinda meh as well. I loved how almost everything in the original built up to the final season.
>>
>>83303566
>Also Katara not being able to heal Amon's bloodbending is stupid because she literally brought someone back from the dead, past lives and all with chi paths working. Yet she couldn't heal bloodbending damage.

Katara is one of the most proficient waterbenders who has ever lived, but when she healed Aang, she was using a magical element (the Spirit Oasis water) in addition to her own healing skills. It was nice to see a problem that Katara couldn't fix for a change. I would have liked to have seen Korra struggle a little more or train a little more to get her powers back though instead of just having Aang give them back to her so easily.
>>
>>83311266
Toph created a tent in 2 seconds.
Hell, Toph created a copy in scale of the FN capital in 2 seconds.

A giant fancy house would need just some more minutes. The only thing that the bender need is know a little about edifications, but even Toph not knowing about it could build a mini City with her sysmic sense.
>>
>>83311425
If you have a way that gives 2x the production, i don't think many people will bother to inovate. If the only way is doing X, then it's clear they will look for ways to make it 2 or 3 X.

Again, i'm not saying ir wont happen, i'm saying it will happen much slower.

Also, earthbenders weren't even able to rebuild RC in 3 years. So no, they can't make a house in minutes, at least not a reliable one. And again, the issue is how the technology, that May turn out to be better than bending in the future, will be lost.
>>
>>83311468
There were plenty of advance Technologies in ATLA, so i doubt it was anything close to 'middle age'. At least i don't think there was Zeppelins and giant drills in the middle ages, so i think comparing with the real world is not possible. However in 70 years they STILL use benders in the industry, even when they tried to invent machines 70 years ago to put in their place. I think that shows something.
>>
>>83301060
I ignored all thr hype and all the threads when Korra wss airing. Only spoiler I got was the stupid lesbian ending.

Last month I watched several eps in s row and finished the series in 2 weeks.

It was bad. The characters were all over the place and kept changing personalities. Korra also suffered from Supermsn syndrome. She wss OP so they kept making her do stupid things and get beat by obviously weaker opponents. She was undermined by everyone around her. Ugh. I'm getting too mad to go on.

Yes it deserves all the hate it gets.
>>
>>83311618
>Toph
Oh, the greatest earthbender of all time created a small replica made of sand. Do you really think this has anything to do with creating a house in minutes by a normal Bender?
>>
File: 1464566555611.gif (362 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1464566555611.gif
362 KB, 500x375
>>83311618
Stop replying dude. He is baiting or is retarded. There is no way for someone to fail so much on how the market work.
>>
>>83311882
Her family made an utopia City with metal bending.
>>
>>83312027
Yes, and?
>>
>>83311998
Yeah, using an inventions that is actually worst for your business is how it works according to you, and the technology will advance faster than if it was the only way to begin with.

Seriously, it's just logic. If there are more people using one technology, it will advance faster.
>>
File: amelia.jpg (82 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
amelia.jpg
82 KB, 480x360
Everything seems better when marathoned OP, but pacing sure as fuck can't save this show

Korra has many flaws

In no particular order

The villains are one dimensional with the exception of the Red Lotus

Korra asspulls and never really grows

The love triangle is literally the worst thing in all of fiction
>>
>>83312130
You keep saying that people would keep using worse means of production agaisnt the demand of the market, and not that the demand of the market would force people to search for new means of production.

This is why you are retarded.

Also, the sole reason that there is a marketing to begin with, is because bending is a shortcut that helps you have way more advanced structures than a medieval and 30's society would have.

As I said earlier, its exactly like saying that walking makes te development of cars unecessary.
>>
>>83312286
If there is a demand, they will hire more benders; expand the business. It will be a long time before actually thinking that a machine perhaps will do it better, if they even think of that at all. If they start with the machine, they can upgrade it from the get-go. Sorry, but you're the one being retarded thinking that people having to spend resources to try out machines that will produce half of the production is a better way of improving than advancing the technology you already use.

> the sole reason that there is a marketing to begin with, is because bending is a shortcut that helps you have way more advanced structures than a medieval and 30's society would have
they would still have a marketing, even without bending. Just like we had.

>As I said earlier, its exactly like saying that walking makes te development of cars unecessary.
it has nothing to do with that example. Here, there is no faster and conventional way than the car. Everything else is impractical or obsolete for the general population. The car exceeds and that's why people use it.
>>
>>83311564
>That and, the whole "each season is its own contained story with its own major conflict and villain, separate from the others" was kinda meh as well
I agree with this. I guess it's understandable with the first two seasons when they were unsure if they'd be renewed for more episodes, but I think when they knew they were getting two seasons after Book 2 they should've had both of them focus on the Red Lotus.
>>
File: the mask.gif (496 KB, 465x360) Image search: [Google]
the mask.gif
496 KB, 465x360
>>83301060

Does it still end with lesbian hand holding? If so then yes, it still sucks. Nickelodeon pulled it from TV for a reason.
>>
>>83311564
You mean 'how everything in the comics' build up to that.
>>
>>83301060
I never could being myself to watch it again. There is nothing that catches my attention on that show. I can think of many funny ATLA episodes that i often rewatch, but nothing from LoK comes to mind.
>>
>>83314088

I don't get how anyone can like one show and dislike the other. It's pretty much the exact same thing, and there's not a big difference in quality.
>>
>>83314429
>It's pretty much the exact same thing
the plot of ATLA actually makes sense, so no. Not the same thing at all.
>>
TLOK Book 1: Air is great, excluding all that Makorra vs Masami vs Borra love-quadrangle bullshit.
TLOK Book 2: Spirits has one of those stereotypical "I shall conquer the world using my evil plan filled with evil" cartoon villains, and the love polygon stuff doesn't get better.
TLOK Book 3: Change has a much better plot and much better antagonists than the previous 2 seasons. I'd say it's at least as good as, or even better than the Ba Sing Se arc from Book 2 of ATLA.
TLOK Book 4 might as well have been advertised as Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 meets wuxia films. The Earth Empire is a thinly disguised version of the Prinicipality of Zeon and Korra is kung fu action Amuro Ray. Kuvira is the Zabi royal dynasty and Char all rolled into one (plus magical kung fu abilites). Oh, and it also has the best-known moment of gayus ex machina in American television history.
WTF, Bryke?
>>
>>83315193
>Change has a much better plot and much better antagonists than the previous 2 seasons
"chaos will help people Somehow"

so much better..

>I'd say it's at least as good as, or even better than the Ba Sing Se arc from Book 2 of ATLA
opinion discarded.
>>
Take out the romance, cliches, and shitty adhd tween humor and it would be better. Improve the fucking writing and it would be above average.
>>
File: Opal blush.jpg (42 KB, 404x404) Image search: [Google]
Opal blush.jpg
42 KB, 404x404
Water: 8/10
Earth: 9/10
Fire: 9/10
Air: 8/10
Spirits: 7/10
Change: 9/10
Balance: 8/10
>>
File: 1462047311664.png (285 KB, 2788x1788) Image search: [Google]
1462047311664.png
285 KB, 2788x1788
>>83315346
>Opal
>Spirits: 7/10
>Change: 9/10
>Balance 8/10
get out.

Seriously, get out. We don't like your Kind here.
>>
>>83315346
Book 1: Water is 7.5/10, no more than that, maybe even less, because of all that stupid filler.
Book 2: Earth is 8.75/10, no more, no less.
Book 3: Fire is 9.25/10, or maybe less.
Book 1: Air is 7.5/10, because of love polygons.
Book 2: Spirits is 4.5/10. It'd be a 2/10 if it didn't have Avatar Wan's story and all those cutesy spirits.
Book 3: Change is 8/10, no more, no less, due to Bopal and sister conflix.
Book 4: Balance is 5/10, no more, probably less. It'd be at least a 6.5/10 if it had less gayus ex machina, and maybe even an 9.5/10 if Kuvira had been a properly built antagonist, a dictator that people would actually like, and Korrasami had been well delevoped.
Yes, I come from /a/, and I'm the same poster as
>>83315193
>>
>>83315815
>I come from /a/
oh, that's why you care more about character than about the plot.

go back to your containment board.
>>
>>83315892
>containment board

You must be new here
>>
The Legend of Korra is better than any anime, that's for sure.
>>
File: kyouko_laugh.gif (36 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
kyouko_laugh.gif
36 KB, 200x200
>>83316157
>The Legend of Korra is better than any anime, that's for sure.
Stupid pleb. Don't talk about anime if you only know about shit like DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, and Cowboy Bebop.
>>
>>83316157
Way to go off topic
>>
>>83301060
>season one
Okay, i kind of like where this is going. I like Korra, and Bolin, but Mako's an ass. Tenzin is the best. Salami isn't needed as more of a drama rip, but whatever i guess. Amon was DA BESS, and the ending set up for a what if/oh shit they just killed themselves moment. Oh and that ending was complete bullshit, just "oh, you lost your powers, here you go, freshly made avatar.".
>Season 2
>Alright, shits gotten better. Mako's ass is still dumb and Korra's starting to notice it little by little, but she's still too dumb to realize she's fucking with the wrong guy. Season is half relationship shit and half actual story driven plot. I liked it a lot more than one, but it still need improving.
>season 3
>Aw yeah, the relationship bullshit is over, and we finally have some deep shit going down. Boss battle was cool, I was expecting Korra to get extra powers when when absorbed the bad spirit though.
>Season 4.
>GUESS WHAT, RELATIONSHIP PROBLEMS. The only good part was the boss, because she was baller and could actually go toe to toe with Korra. Meanwhile Korra is going through some bullshit crisis because she got btfo by the chaos legion, and she still has a little bit of poison still in her. Toph was cool. Bei Fongs dad is just some random guy, which made me laugh. Bolin was still the man with the master plan. Mako was still a little bitch, but he went out like an alright dude. Salamis father died for no reason. I dig giant robots but what? Oh and now Korra is a lesbian, fuck you.

It got better, but season 4 dropped the ball super fucking hard, and i know many people are as disappointed with the series as i am. I watched every episode of avatar, and then i watched this. This is no nostalgia goggles moment.

my annalasys of the whole show was just: korra is too impatient to just learn some fucking bending, so she just does punches and kicks with dirt, water, air, and fire and that's it. The fucking side characters learn more than Korra.

6.8/10
>>
>>83316565
You kind of like Book 1 and Book 2. You love Book 3, and you absolutely despise Book 4. Then you rated TLOK as a whole 6.8. What would you rate Book 4: Balance all by itself?
>>
>>83301060
I'm not going to say it's shit. I'm going to say it's just a wasted potential

you had the world of avatar, you have a better animation studio, you have plenty of great voice actors, and all you could make was THIS??? why?

>Korra is a total bitch and a thug, but no one calls her on it
>Toph's daughters are either completely given shit throughout their life or a spoiled bitch i wish was the arc villain so she gets killed
>Aang's son is one of the better characters, but lets focus on his annoying kids and shitty love arcs
>you kill off the best villain who COULD have been an amazing arc villain at the end of the first season, and of course there's NO blowback from his former followers. i mean, he's the bad guy, so of course they wouldn't hold a grudge against any benders
>season one ends with no consequence. Korra kissing Mako while he was dating Asami? nope. Korra losing her bending? nope. Villain making an escape? nope
and that's just what I thought of off the top of my head. I'm sure there's much more I could say
>>
>>83316330
Oh fuck off with that. Cowboy Bebop is way better than Korra.
>>
>>83315815
I'd give Air 7/10 but i agree with everything else.
>>
>>83317636
There's isn't that much of a difference between 7/10 and 7.5/10, is there?
>>
>>83301060
Korra would of been good if it was only one season.
>>
Looks like it's time to view the first two episodes again and drink.
>>
>>83311384
Probending poisoned bending for the rest of the series.
Bending in TLA was as much performance art as it was martial art. Bending from a pro-bender in LOK is just punching and kicking.
>>
>>83309943
>leaving out firebenders
Heat and light are two of the most important needs for survival, and these guys can just make it.
>>
>>83301060
This is how I watched it originally, and I liked it quite a bit, and didn't understand why /co/ was shitting on it so hard. Granted, it's pretty obvious where the problems are and when they were writing by the seat of their pants or just plain pandering.
>>
>>83318327
Perhaps, but he still completely miss the point of the conversation.
>>
>>83317636
Why people like S03 so much anyway?
>>
I doubt anything they did could have compensated for the writers' lack of ability, but I think if they had had the writing chops it would have been better if the Equalist and Red Lotus arcs had been rolled into the Kuvira arc as one big story dealing with the slow collapse of order in the disintegrating Earth Kingdom. Introduce Kuvira earlier as one of the main protagonists on Team Avatar who we get attached to for two seasons before she gradually slides into villain territory, introduce Ammon and the Red Lotus crew at the same time and have them split over ideological differences in a later season. Cut the season 2 arc entirely or give it a major overhaul so it's more connected to the main Earth Kingdom plotline. Either trim the Beifong family drama or make it more relevant to the main story.

tl;dr Kuvira should be introduced in season one and greatly fleshed out as a major character so her actions make more sense, and Ammon and the Red Lotus should both last longer, and fighting against them as a protagonist should directly tie into Kuvira's growing obsession with seizing power to enforce order and stability.
>>
Why is Avatar: The Last Airbender so overrated? Katara a shit. Sokka's jokes are not funny. Aang is not MANLY enough. Toph is too much of a tomboy. Fire Lord Ozai is a shit antagonist, and so is Zhao. Long Feng was a poorly written villain. Zuko is a shitty emo teenager. Azula is a shitty yandere bitch with no real motivations for being "evil" or doing "evil stuff". Ty Lee a stupid bimbo ho'. Appa is an annoying piece of fur. Momo is NOT cute.
Iroh is the only good character in the entire series.
The Legend of Korra is filled with all of Avatar: The Last Airbender's flaws, and multiplied by 10. All of that shipping wars/love triangle shit was already there back in 2006. Anybody remember Zutara and Tyzula?
>>
>>83318589
Anything would look like gold after the shitstain that was S2
>>
>>83318909
The weird parings were thankfully not expanded upon inside the show. That's not a point.
>>
File: 894651.jpg (35 KB, 507x290) Image search: [Google]
894651.jpg
35 KB, 507x290
>>83301060
Been meaning to re-watch it again.

Haven't seen an EP since it was airing.
>>
>>83319311
Congrats
>>
File: 1436721393590.png (146 KB, 452x403) Image search: [Google]
1436721393590.png
146 KB, 452x403
I don't understand how anyone can hate season 2.

>Based Varrick
>Based Bumi
>Ice twins
>Nuktuk
>Cool spirits
>The awesome colorful spirit world
>Motherfucking Iroh
>Objectively 10/10 Wan episodes

Not to mention Unalaq isn't as bad a villain as everyone says. Yeah, it had a couple of uneventful episodes, but overall it's great.
>>
>>83317636
It is lower than The Last Airbender S1's score
>>
>>83319866
Those Wan Episodes sucked dick
>>
>>83319866
>anything other than varrick was good
>the rest wasn't pure shit

Even the Wan episodes were bad in the context of avatar. And Unalaq could have been good, unfortunately he wasn't.
>>
>>83315815
uh no, I'm pretty sure ATLA:S2 has by far the best plot of the either show
>>
>>83320150
>>83320160

Okay, so we're hating the Wan episodes now too. Noted.
>>
>>83320271
They were never good in the context of avatar, this has been the case since they aired. On their own though they were good, and they were definately they best episodes of book 2.
>>
File: Beginnings.jpg (40 KB, 308x311) Image search: [Google]
Beginnings.jpg
40 KB, 308x311
>>83320353

Rest of the world seems to like it. Should have known it was just a /co/ thing.
>>
>>83320412
Outside of this place its overall a positive response.

Lotta enthusiasm and plenty gals are happy they've got another couples cosplay for them and their girlfriends
>>
>>83320412
Yeah best of season 2, as i said. It's still shit in the context of Avatar because it has nothing in common with the world it is trying to explain.
>>
>>83301060
is this the /tv/ equivalent of "just turn your brain off and you'll have fun"?
>>
File: 20s Korra.jpg (302 KB, 800x611) Image search: [Google]
20s Korra.jpg
302 KB, 800x611
Korra never lived up to (admittedly unreasonable) expectations

It wasn't bad, it just was never good enough
>>
>>83320564
Was that in part because of what people dreamed up a sequel series would be. And it wasn't that.
>>
>>83320615
It was part fanwank, but the producers wrote a lot of cheques they must have known that they could never cash.

Pic being one such example - they promised us gangbuster bromance, not some gay love triangle shit
>>
File: 1413641388069.gif (2 MB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
1413641388069.gif
2 MB, 1440x810
Making her dykeness more blatant would have saved the show

Everyone knows you can't cancel something where the main character is a minority.
>>
>>83320773
It wasn't canceled dumbass.
>>
File: LoK-fails.png (162 KB, 1285x976) Image search: [Google]
LoK-fails.png
162 KB, 1285x976
>>83319866
here's the list.
>>
File: 1413607140930.jpg (172 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1413607140930.jpg
172 KB, 1280x720
>>83320838
>It wasn't canceled

Yeah, it was just taken off tv....
>>
Defend this.
>>
>>83320877

It was fucking awesome.
>>
>>83320412
>Rest of the world
>literally lost half of the viewers after the first season
No.
>>
File: 1419018831088.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
1419018831088.webm
3 MB, 960x540
>>83320877
Fucking badass m8
>>
>>83320862
Completeing the series with the intended amount of episodes isn't the same as being canceled you stupid idiot.
>>
>>83301060

I ignored it because not muh avatar, and because all the sjw drama surrounding it made the show really off putting.

I only recently started watching it with a friend every other week and I've actually enjoyed it a lot more now that it's not constantly in my face.
>>
File: 1429400408594.jpg (356 KB, 4000x4000) Image search: [Google]
1429400408594.jpg
356 KB, 4000x4000
>>83320897
At least try, anon.
>>
>>83320897
>>83320902
No it wasn't . It was dumb. What do ya say to that?
>>
>>83320927
>all the sjw drama surrounding
Back in 2012? No one even started bitching about their bitching back then.
>>
>>83320912
It was taken off Tv before book 3 ended anon.
>>
File: Fuck You Naga.webm (802 KB, 624x352) Image search: [Google]
Fuck You Naga.webm
802 KB, 624x352
>>83320944
>
>>
>>83320983
that was more executive infighting. Some didn't want an action cartoon on the network at all. Some wanted it only on the network.

In the end show finished and all the clowns fighting were fired as the Network restructured to be more production focused.
>>
>>83320412
Oh look, it's midichlorians: the episode
>>
>>83319866
>>Objectively 10/10 Wan episodes
yeah, try 7/10. animation at its best, cool fight scenes, but the fact that he's basically fighting ultra-devil-cthulu & changes the avatar from a force for balance to a force for good really muddy's the water
>Not to mention Unalaq isn't as bad a villain as everyone says. Yeah, it had a couple of uneventful episodes, but overall it's great.
try shit villain. he's literally THE generic bad guy to a degree that's even worse than the anar-chaos group. he shits on his own family and just wants more power, that's about it

he even gets his ass handed to him EASY on his first real fight with Korra. I know she's the avatar, but that really makes him feel like so much less of a threat

and let's not gloss over how she killed her blood family, but no one gives a single shit about it
>>
>>83321049
I thought it was MexiNick leaking half of S3 and spoiling Kuvira's betrayal a year early
>>
>>83320933
>>83320944

I'm sorry I like fun and action.
>>
File: HISV.jpg (29 KB, 390x636) Image search: [Google]
HISV.jpg
29 KB, 390x636
>>83315346
>Opal
>>
>>83319866
>>Objectively 10/10 Wan episodes

Wan episodes:
+ Wan's hair
+ the animation.. i think?

- Spirits being assholes
- asking the lion turtle to stay with fire actually works and no one else never thought of that in centuries
- "lol, fucked up the world. Sorry, totally didn't know he was an evil spirit"
- origins shouldn't be explained
>>
File: ZL.png (348 KB, 849x467) Image search: [Google]
ZL.png
348 KB, 849x467
>tfw I got to be here for this shot sending /co/ into overload

It was a privilege
>>
>>83321237
The problem is not liking action; it's ignoring the plot and setting for the sake of it.

So if you liked, it's because you ignored the story.
>>
File: 1419029233315.gif (669 KB, 500x257) Image search: [Google]
1419029233315.gif
669 KB, 500x257
>>83319311
>>
>>83321335

Kuvira built a giant mecha to take back Republic City, which she meant belonged to the Earth Kingdom. What seems to be the problem?
>>
File: Chair.png (108 KB, 340x408) Image search: [Google]
Chair.png
108 KB, 340x408
Remember when Korra was a cripple?

Me neither
>>
>>83321403
The mech mostly. But also Kuvira being no threat whatsoever compared to any other LoK villain. Actually i'd imagine Tenzin could have taken her out with his airbenders alone.
>>
File: Quote From Woman Arrested.png (1 MB, 1123x623) Image search: [Google]
Quote From Woman Arrested.png
1 MB, 1123x623
>>
>>83320877
>Have a huge army
>Have an expensive, one-of-a-kind mecha with a very long-range laser cannon
>Decide to march the mecha into the middle of the city and have your army do fuck all instead of sending your army in and having the mecha fire on the city from a safe distance
Kuvira was retarded.
>>
>>83321403
1. with the technology today, we still have issues to make proper bipedal robots, what to say with LoK's technology;
2. a robot that size made out of platinum would colapse on itself;
3. Toph didn't sense that robot at all when she passed where supposedly it was;
4. Toph's kids couldn't sense that there was normal metal inside the robot because
5. Kuvira uses it like a retarded kid. She has a weapon that can shoot at kilometers of distance and decides to melee with her robot, when she didn't even need to go inside RC in the first place.

I think that's basically it.
>>
File: Kuvira Before She Was Famous.png (471 KB, 848x480) Image search: [Google]
Kuvira Before She Was Famous.png
471 KB, 848x480
>>83321497
Kuvira was a metal-dancer until she went full Third Reich

Ends were always more important than means
>>
File: Flexible Kuvira.jpg (46 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Flexible Kuvira.jpg
46 KB, 640x360
>>83321533
>>
File: tear.jpg (165 KB, 375x550) Image search: [Google]
tear.jpg
165 KB, 375x550
>>83301060

Coincedentally, I've been doing an S4 rewatch today, and just got to the battle vs the colossus in he city

>mfw goodbye asami, I love you
>>
>>83321532
basically it's like a dragon

if those things can fly and shoot fire, why the fuck would it ever be within sword distance. it should just stay up in the air and rain fire down on all threats
>>
File: 1419013932746.gif (795 KB, 450x268) Image search: [Google]
1419013932746.gif
795 KB, 450x268
>>83321589
>>
>>83321613
At least with a dragon i can understand that it would try to eat you initially, so it sorta makes sense for him to be close at the beginning of a fight, thinking you're not a threat.
>>
>>83321674

The real version was much classier. I honestly prefer that than outright toungefucking.

Anyone can do porn, real romantic scnes are a skill
>>
>>83321748
>real romantic scnes are a skill
the end of S04 is hardly an example.
>>
File: 1419013889536.gif (1 MB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
1419013889536.gif
1 MB, 500x282
>>83321748
Care to meet me in the middle?

Obvious, but not obscene
>>
>>83321748
>Anyone can do porn, real romantic scnes are a skill
yeah, but try someone who can realistically build to a romantic scene
>>
>>83321589
That was so forced I don't know how you managed to feel any emotion at all.
>>
File: 1402245372265.jpg (650 KB, 2400x2885) Image search: [Google]
1402245372265.jpg
650 KB, 2400x2885
>dat foreshadowing
>>
>>83321919
"She is not a little girl anymore, Tenzin"
>>
>>83321533
She was also head of Zaofu's guards.
>>
>>83309569
>>83311595
>(the Spirit Oasis water)

Ah yes, I forgot. They ran out of that water all of a sudden. Thank you for reminding me that they could not use that water any more for reasons, thank you.
>>
>>83318589
Even if the Redo Lotus' philosophy wasn't well though out, they were at least sincere, unlike Amon and Unalaq. Also they had good character interaction. Most important is unlike every other villain they didn't suffer from character assassination. Combine this with no love triangle bullshit and it was solid gold compared to the rest of the series.
>>
>>83321589
>they killed off that nobody Hiroshi because they didn't have the balls to kill of anyone else
Being a Sato is suffering, you're either going to be killed off or have zero personality.
>>
>>83321532
Don't forget how it hard it would have been to get that much platinum in the first place. Also apparently platinum has the durability of adamantium.
>>
>>83301060
I did the same thing last Christmas break. it was okay. I can see how it might not be worth a week-long hype.
>>
>>83321162
>he even gets his ass handed to him EASY on his first real fight with Korra.
He no sells her first blow and forces her to use Air, which he isn't familiar with, which just lets her get away. He did fine.
>>
>>83323731
he no sells one blow, then gets his ass HANDED to him. they could've easily just have him block everything she throws at him, but not be able to land a hit back & he's only able to get the upper hand through superior numbers, but that would just be making the villain seem like a credible threat
>>
>>83323731
anyways, how about all the people that aang fought & held their own against in avatar? what about them?

hell, jet didn't even have bending (much less bending in an environment MADE of his element), but he still did better against aang than unaloq did towards korra
>>
>>83324195
>kid who doesn't want to fight against some guy who has been jumping in trees since he first could jump
>middle aged spiritual anti-Christ who spends time being a douche versus a young woman who trained in fighting for 14 and breathing

None of the antagonists should have been a credible one-on-one threat to Korra unless they had a hostage in the wings, were doing an ambush, using an army, or had her bound in some way or fought her after she already made her way through the dungeon run.
>>
>>83324195
Atla is really bad about power levels. Almost everyone they encounter is a top tier combatant in one form or another. Jet was a highly skilled swordsmen and guerrilla. I think the main problem with Korra is she just flat loses so many fights over the course of the series it is easy to forget she is supposed to be the fucking avatar.
>>
>>83324395
>untrained kid with swords vs master airbender in a world where no one's seen airbending in a century
>master waterbender and someone who was a member of a group who were dedicated to training you to take people down (especially the avatar) in a world that's had airbending for roughly 80 years vs someone who hasn't and won't ever master airbending
yeah, HER airbending was enough to take him down. get some better ammo, bitch
>>
>>83324575
both series were bad about power level consistency, and characters tended to be as powerful as the story needed them to be in any given episode. it wasn't as bad in ATLA because they had a shitload of one-episode bad guys who could job to Aang so the major arc villains didn't have to lose too much. In Korra the seasons were too short for that, so Korra and her friends had to do the jobbing in order to make the arc villains last more than an episode or two as a threat.
>>
>>83324800
It isn't just in regular episodes tho.
Korra beats Amon by what amounts to a ringout using airbending, which somehow got switched on when her other bending got shut off.
Then Jinora had to save her ass from Uncle Palpatine and then again after Zaheer almost kills her.

It's like they failed to realize that it isn't enough to say a character is strong. You really need to show that shit.
>>
>>83324575
Jet lost to Zuko easily with swords. I don't think he is that strong, and that is consistent about him. Considering most of both armies in ATLA are made of peasants with no instruction, some people may appear extraordinary. Zhao, for example, he looks like a badass, but loses to Zuko, the professional jobber. He wasn't good, he just was a firebender with a master, something that is rare, and that made him better than the other mooks.
They're not all 'top tier', they simply had masters or some way to learn no one else normally had.
>>
>>83324583
>untrained kid with swords vs master airbender in a world where no one's seen airbending in a century
Aang says from the get-go on that fight that 'he doesn't wants to hurt him, only get his stuff back'. And he follows that, he doesn't attack Jet at all. I don't think that is a fight.
>>
>>83324123
>he no sells one blow, then gets his ass HANDED to him.
He gets knocked down by an element only 4 people on Earth could bend for the last seventeen years, then Korra runs away. That isn't 'getting his ass handed to him', that's being caught off guard in a scuffle.

>they could've easily just have him block everything she throws at him
He did when she used an element he was used to. I'm not sure why you're complaining he isn't a credible threat when he crushes her twice in a row later, despite having the disadvantage.

>>83324195
>how about all the people that aang fought & held their own against in avatar?
Aang was a younger and pacifist who hated conflict and loved to mess around. The only ones who could stand against him when he was trying were members of the Lotus, Ozai, and Azula, and even then he was usually holding back.
>>
My biggest gripe was Bryke's tendency to develop plot points, and then completely drop them. Here are some right off the back

>Red Lotus being hinted at still being a thing
>President Raiko's shady personalty seemed to be setting up for big bad
>Air Nation literally being Jedi
>Opal's character development from the start, personality, and power level all for nothing
>Guru Laghima
>Zaheer
>>
>>83328285
dont forget the tendency to put off characterizing the villain until right before the final confrontation, then rushing some implausible and unsatisfying backstory at the last minute to explain why the villain is doing villain stuff. they did it with kuvira, ammon, azula, and probably others i cant remember
>>
>>83328285
That President Raiko theory was actually pretty well thought out, and could of worked, and made the serious more memorable. I think Opal's development could have worked if another season, or series.
>>
>>83301060
kys
>>
>>83328595
Bryke has a history of thinking introducing something means they set up development points
So when Kuvira and everyone else showed up and they had some sort of angry or evil-ish look, that counts as plot progression
I kinda agree, it's just terrible plot progression
>>
>>83301060
She's a terrible avatar who should have just killed herself so a better one could came around.

The porn is good tho
>>
I just finished season 2.

Why did Tenzin abandon the rest of the human souls in the Fog of Lost Souls?
>>
>>83302217
God all these things but more over the tone they had set up was in the trailers was like this cool neo noir aesthetic that we didnt even get to spend the whole run in.
>>
>>83330808
And also, what happened to Vaatu? He was purified or whatever, but where does that mean he went?
>>
>>83330808
>>83331004
Tanzin couldnt save all the souls because 1) he only had a very short time to get his people and bug out before the fog came back, and 2) most of the other souls had been there long enough to become too crazy to rehabilitate. if this was a grimdark show for adults he might have considered mercykilling them if he had the time, but as it's a cartoon for preteens we are just left to assume they are bad people who deserve it and cant be saved anyway.

vaatu became part of raava after korra defeated him, and will slowly grow inside her and her successors for 10,000 years until he's strong enough to break free again
>>
>>83320412

IMDB is pretty shit and each episode has an average of 1000 or less votes, so what? The series finale is in their top 5.
>>
>>83331004
Died in an Avatar State junctioned to Unalaq.

Vaatu will be reborn in Raava the way she was reborn in him. And he'll stay trapped in their eternal dance of yin/yang so long as no other Avatar dies in the Avatar State.
>>
I just watched the first episode of season 3.

Korra losing her connection to the past avatars means she can no longer return/remove people's bending?
>>
>>83301060
>>83301299

Korra is superior to last airbender for the one reason of Aang's voice being an affront to my ears. How can you listen to him speak and not want to smash his face in with a 10 pound hammer?
>>
>>83321748
bullshit. tonguefucking is amazeballs
>>
>>83332092
It was never brought up again but I think so.

>>83331004
Being reborn in Raava probably.
>>
They should make another Platinum game.

One that actually adds something to the story, and maybe even involves other characters in the plot.
>>
>>83331004
>>83331200
Bryke confirmed he is inside of Korra, as we can assume by the events of S02 as well.

So yeah, she fucked up and he will be free again some day.
>>
>>83332092
She was going off of the train of thought Tenzin was proposing. That whole "you can't go back" idea.

Which doesn't really work since she can still return bending since she was doing it and that skill is something she was using. Much like how she still knows what Wan was saying and thinking since she relived his memories, she used energybending to return bending regardless of the past Avatars being there or having a say in the matter.

And the other reason Tenzin's "you can't go back" doesn't work is that he tries to do just that by pushing for airbenders to be like the air nomads of old right off the bat and with their old identity. Tenzin really doesn't know what he's saying, he just probably spouts whatever his father would tell him.
>>
>>83332343
>So yeah, she fucked up and he will be free again some day.
>thinking that'll actually happen
More like Raava and Vaatu will merge into some new spirit of balance that will stay fused with Korra/the next Avatar.
>>
>>83332451
>>83332451
>Raava and Vaatu will merge into some new spirit of balance that will stay fused with Korra/the next Avatar
1. Raava and Vaatu ARE one spirit
2. Bryke said that he would eventually be free
3. it is said in the show that if Vaatu is destroyed, he just appears from whatever place Raava is
>>
>>83333987
If one is born within the other, doesn't that mean they will be conjoined once again--like before Wan separated them?
>>
>>83321418
More cripple korra would have been nice
>>
>>83323431
>they didn't suffer from character assassination
They didn't have enough character to be killed, anon. They're bland.
>>
>>83334705
No. Shit will just be like before. That's why Raava said destroying him would never work. One can never rule the other. If they were to fuse and nothing would happen, Raava would not have stopped Wan from simply beating it down.

Also, they weren't 'conjoined' in Wan's times. Raava was just holding him.
>>
>>83320854
>here's the list.
Stop re-posting this list like it's gospel when half the shit in it is wrong.

>>83321532
So autism is the reason you don't like it?
>why does this fantasy thing not work like real life
>>
>>83312161
>The villains are one dimensional with the exception of the Red Lotus
They were 100% one dimensional, are you kidding? They were Ozai with more words to make Zaheer sound lofty. In the end it was mindless evil bullshit. Only an idiot thinks anarchy has any merit or makes any sense.
>>
>>83335780
Because Byrke just did their classic "give villains somewhat reasonable motivations and make them full retard".

In the beginning, they were about removing dictators from power. By the end, they were killing every world leader for muh anarchy.
>>
>>83319866
Bad taste levels EXTREME

Repeat

EXTREME

>Ruining the origin of the Avatar
>Ruining the origin and concept of the first benders
>DARK AVATAR GARBAGE
>Magical Jinora
>Unalaq lame and another evil waterbender right after the last
>Twins were ultimately nobodies that had no effect on the story longterm despite being family
>Unalaq's entire family doesn't really seem to care that he's dead (Seriously what the fuck, so weird and odd)
>DEATH OF ALL PAST LIVES BECAUSE BRYKE CAN'T WRITE THEMSELVES OUT OF A PAPER BAG (Which means Korra shouldn't like girls according to Bryke...but they're shit writers so whatever)
>Solidify that Korra can't do anything herself and is a shit Avatar but try to shoehorn in that "she's always been amazing and special and not because she's the Avatar" which directly conflict with what Bryke said about her years later and how she was just someone never fit to be Avatar or a hero but did it anyway like what the fuck

Korra is a horrible blemish on Avatar but GODDAMN that brown sugar.
>>
File: kaziklu.png (209 KB, 2018x736) Image search: [Google]
kaziklu.png
209 KB, 2018x736
>>83305786
>There's people who dislike Korra for its errors and there's those who want to fuck her

These aren't mutually exclusive things
>>
>>83335862
>In the beginning, they were about removing dictators from power.
They wanted to get rid of Raiko right from the start. Zaheer changed the groups plans to meet a deadline to go for the Avatar as soon as possible.
>>
>>83336030
Made for vaginal penetrations.
>>
>>83332129

Because his voice isn't even a comparable fraction to the disgrace that is Korra's entire character
>>
File: 1462474309097.jpg (188 KB, 735x750) Image search: [Google]
1462474309097.jpg
188 KB, 735x750
>>83310158

I absolutely love how every single time without fail, a Korra apologist will jump in and say something exactly along the lines of

>You're all just obsessed with "muh TLA"

Which is hilarious because it always follows up with "BUT TLA ALSO DID/HAD X" at some point quickly after. The fact these people don't see this irony but insist on arguing it speaks monumentally their thinking capacity. Even if they didn't insist on arguing it, bringing it up is retarded because even if it was true it's always been too secondary a point to matter.

>It's good you're just nitpicking!

Yeah and two sentences of "It was good because I liked it" is always so much better. There's never any detail explaining why you thought it was good, and if there is there's a seriously great chance it doesn't tackle the more prominent points of the show or even the main point of what people are arguing.

But it's ok if we just pretend everyone else isn't saying anything but "m-muh last airbender!" maybe the opinion Korra is good will make marginal sense in some shut off perspective.
>>
>>83301060
I like much more than Aang show. More and more each season.
True thats not only because how good Korra was but also how Last Airbender is flawed IMO.
Not that Korra was free of flaws, especially in first 2 seasons, but most of it was just little roomfor entire story to be contained in 13 episodes of season.
>>
So I just finished season 3.

Is lavabending a rarity like bloodbending, or is it the result of having one earthbending and one firebending parent? I ask because it seems really OP, considering it apparently gives you the power to make lava and then bend it, which I would associate with fire.
>>
File: 9857409275092834.png (2 MB, 1310x950) Image search: [Google]
9857409275092834.png
2 MB, 1310x950
Korra is an alright show. That's about as much as I can say. For all the nice animation and fight choreography, it ultimately fails in characterization, worldbuilding, and plot.

It's still a fine show, but it's not even in the same league as Last Airbender. Plus, it doesn't help their case when they make so many obvious and stupid mistakes like "Dark Avatar", the entire conclusion of Amon, and the half-baked love triangle.
>>
>>83339108
It's most likely just a rare type of earth bending. But some people believe it's about parental heritage.
>>
>>83337158
This phams.
>>
>>83338181
You are aware that such posts are only made to elicit such reactions as your own post, right?
If you are aware then carry on, if not then think before responding to them.

>>83339108
>lavabending
It's an Avatar level move that they gave to the average man to make the Avatar even weaker than they already did.
>>
>>83341866
>It's an Avatar level move that they gave to the average man to make the Avatar even weaker than they already did.
I don't like Avatar is now meant to be powerful in raw numbers. Avatar should be versatile.

Although lavabending was avatar move before, I can accept it as long as benders don't explicitly combine stuff.
>>
>>83335862
>By the end, they were killing every world leader for muh anarchy.

BUT THIS IS HOW ANARCHISTS OPERATED.
>>
>>83335351
>half the shit in it is wrong
for example?

>why does this fantasy thing not work like real life
fantasy is different from not making sense in-universe. Saying that unicorn exist is fantasy. Saying that they exist and then stating they don't exist is a hole in storytelling.

For all purposes, they could always sense metal no matter how far it is, and then suddenly that power disappears just for that last battle. And platinum stops being platinum to become "plot metal" for that last fight so they can build a giant mecha out of it.

And Kuvira's reasoning is the worst part, as we must assume she is retarded to go inside RC like that.
>>
File: 1431387460761.gif (733 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1431387460761.gif
733 KB, 600x600
>>83337158
>sticking your dick in Failure
>wanting your dick to fall off
>>
>>83342050
Not all of them.

But yeah, anarchists are stupid. I think that's the point.
>>
So what was the purpose of the third portal? I know it's from the explosion of the weaponized spiritual energy but if that's the case, that isn't too bad is it? It was more of a boon to the spirits than a bad thing.

Since they now consider the spirit world and the physical world "dimensions" does that mean they got lucky and didn't get the "The Mist" dimension?

If the portal is just another gate to the spirit world, doesn't that mean that the balance has been shifted to a point where (if we're in that Tree of Time area) the spirit world will always have 2 ways in and out while the physical world still has one? Isn't everything massively unbalanced now? Did the avatar just massively fuck up in every respect and learn nothing from her enemies who wanted some radical form of balance/equality?

Now everything is completely unbalanced and that will probably give rise to even more powerful and crazier people than Zohan and Uniqlo.
>>
>>83343546
Basicly yes, the world that was supposed to be protected is worse off at the end of LoK than it was at the beginning.
>>
>>83311384
Sports drama is a classic story structure, and if we had gotten a full season of some no-name pro-bending team making their way to the championships, interacting with their oponents outside of the ring, maybe involving Shiro Shinobi in some kind of sideplot, that would have been a lot more watchable than what we got - simply because it would have been more coherent, both tonally and plot-wise.

However, >>83318154 is right in about what that does to bending in general-- all of LoK, but especially the pro-bending parts, dropped the tone that bending had in ATLA hard. Before, each element had a distinct visual style based on actual martial arts, which reflected the physical properties of the element being used, but also the philosophy that element relied on.

LoK pays that idea lip service early on, but it never amounts to anything more than that.
>>
>>83343546
Spirits only purpose is to fuck shit up since ATLA, at least for the most part. The purpose of the portals is to allow potentially dangerous spirits inside the human world.

So yeah, Korra is retarded for even thinking open the portals is a good idea.
>>
>The Beifongs combined have less than 7 pages of R34

>90% of Korra Rule 34 is nothing more than Korrasami shit.

Korrasami was a mistake.
>>
>>83344213
Yes it was.
>>
File: considerthefollowing.jpg (48 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
considerthefollowing.jpg
48 KB, 600x600
You know what's the biggest problem with Legend of Korra?

Republic City.

I'm a worldbuilder/explorer guy and I love the road movie-esque progression of the Last Airbender and how it helped develop each character in the process. it also helps develop the villains and the nuances of these villains that you don't see in other cartoons.

I think the biggest problem for me is that they always go back to Republic City in each season instead of leaving the Republic City and have Korra develop her powers in each kingdom. Like, season 2 is forced to have Republic City in its main plot and thus they became a burden to the main story. The final battle should work better at the Water Tribe nations instead of Republic City, and I literally did not give a fuck about the Mako-Asami-Korra love triangle nor the Bolin as a movie star subplot.

One thing I love about Season 3 is that there is little of Republic City. The action takes place in both the Earth and Air Kingdoms and thus we see more interesting stories being told.

If I were in charge of the script for Seasons 2, 3 and 4, it'd completely remove almost every single scene in Republic City except for the final battle in Season 4. Turning it into a road movie of sorts makes a lot sense especially since they're teenagers and also helps give more character development similar to TLA especially when I don't "feel" Korrasami whereas I think that every TLA ship actually works.
>>
File: truth.png (17 KB, 482x121) Image search: [Google]
truth.png
17 KB, 482x121
oh man the early talkback threads were magical.
>>
>>83344213
The Beifong family didn't get the push they deserved.
>>
>>83344178
The spirits aren't necessarily malevolent, they're just alien. Certainly some of them are bad news-- ATLA has the facestealer, who is an extremely dangerous predator of humans. Even he imparts usedful information to Aang, though. THen there's the owl librarian, who wants to be left alone with his books but who willingly lets the gaang search his archives in exchange for some new information and a promise they won't use anything they learn to cause conflict, and he only becomes hostile when they steal from his library with the intention to break that promise. The Painted Lady is protective of her river and benevolent towards the people living there, and clearly approves of Katara's actions to help them. The Bear spirit of the burned forest is violent and enraged because it's home has been destroyed, but Aang is able to calm it and it goes back to being docile. The two spirit fish in the pool are peaceful and life-giving, maintaining the existence of the Moon and the Ocean.

The guys are at their most dangerous when they're misunderstood or mistreated. If opening the portals brings spirits and humans closer together and makes them less alien to each other, then I don't think it was a mistake, and as ATLA shows, it's not like they aren't in the mortal world already.
>>
>>83343990
>early on

I don't think it was really any more heavily weighted towards the beginning at all. Really it appeared anytime in the series other than Korra and her krew were fighting.
So pretty much any old people bending.
>>
>>83344768
I'm specifically thinking of Tenzin actually useing the name Bagua and trying to put Korra through the spinning panels exercise, and her doing actual Bagua circles in a pro-bending match to avoid some projectile. That was the most strongly any hint of the old bending flavor ever came through, at least as far as I can remember.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 57

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.