[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
X-Books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 21
File: xmen reading xmen.jpg (139 KB, 500x761) Image search: [Google]
xmen reading xmen.jpg
139 KB, 500x761
Just saw Apocalypse. It has its own thread(s), though, so I'm not looking to discuss it here.

I want some X-related recommendations, but only of more recent stuff. After AvX years ago, I picked up All New and Uncanny and read them both for a handful of issues. I was enjoying them to a degree, but had to cut them for budget purposes.

Which running series right now are people enjoying? What books from the past five or so years are worth visiting? If characters matter, I'm most interested in Jubilee, Magneto, Jean, and X-23.

Are there any essential stories from a bit further back I should really check out? I see House of M and the whole No More Mutants things tossed around in conversation a lot.
>>
ignore current stuff, it sucks
>essential
Claremont
>recent years
Remender's X-Force
anything by Spurrier
Gillen's Uncanny
David's Xfactor
Messiah (Hope Summers) saga
>House of M, No More Mutants
no
>>
File: X-Men_Legacy_Vol_2_24_Textless.jpg (229 KB, 900x1363) Image search: [Google]
X-Men_Legacy_Vol_2_24_Textless.jpg
229 KB, 900x1363
X-Men Legacy my nigga
>>
File: Xt4IMFV.gif (878 KB, 484x268) Image search: [Google]
Xt4IMFV.gif
878 KB, 484x268
>>83300802
> want some X-related recommendations, but only of more recent stuff
> recent X-Men comics worth reading

The secret of the X-Men is that in the 70's when Claremotn and Cockrum were just starting their run NO ONE WAS WATCHING. The X-Men were a failed comic that was pretty much only brought back because Cockrum asked Roy Thomas if he could give it a shot. It was unrestrained creativity becasue no one had any expectations. If anyone at Marvel knew X-Men would become their #1 franchise for decades you can be sure that a new young writer like Claremont wouldn't be allowed near it

In the 90's with Bob Harras, and ever since, editors have been shoving their fingers into the creative process. Now they have more eyes over them than ever, creators can't create they have to tip toe around movie people, tv people, Disney people, etc
>>
>>83300802
Claremont's run pretty much established the X-men and made characters, groups, plots, storylines etc that are STILL being recycled to this day.

Its the definitive run.

Morrison actually tried to different stuff and even though it ends poorly its still worth reading.

Whedon was pretty good.

Gillen's Uncanny was the last good run

Remender's X-Force was great

for Magneto

Bunn's Magneto. his Uncanny X-men (currently running) is that run's successor.

X-23
Innocence Lost
Target X
>>
>>83301062
>ignore current stuff, it sucks
This
>>
>>83300802
I just tonight came home from seeing 'pocky-lips myself, it felt a little forced but okay enough, the after-credits scene was way not worth it.
-'nuff said.
Jubilee is an awol character in the main books but she's in X-Men '92 as the non-vamp classic flavor.
Magneto is basically headlining the new run of Uncanny X-Men, the trade just came out for the first arc, if you don't want that he's going to be a main in the new X-Men/CivilWar2 books.
Classic Jean is dead and Phoenixed, but her timetravelling teen version is jailbait teasing alt-reality Old-Man Logan in the pages of Extraordinary X-Men, that trade has been out for a little bit.
Lovely Laura has taken over the Wolverine name/costume in that book, by most accounts it's not worth the read but I think that's just the writer. She also is a teammate of The New X-Men (mostly the timetravel teens) and her arc in that is dating ups and downs with past-Angel.
As always what's good to read depends entirely upon your tastes and how well the book you pick is being made at that month.
>>
The current stuff is bad on purpose because "muh movie rights" so avoid it unless you're like me and can't resist.

Definitely read Wolverine and the X-Men and Amazing X-Men by Jason Aaron.

Definitely read Uncanny by Gillen.

Read Morrison's New X-Men.

Read Uncanny X-Force by Remender.

And you'll definitely want to know your Claremont basics.
>>
File: 1-1458307114408-His-Tomb.jpg (152 KB, 480x738) Image search: [Google]
1-1458307114408-His-Tomb.jpg
152 KB, 480x738
>>83300802
>any essential stories...

House of M was an alt-reality story where Scarlett Witch went cray-cray again and magically recreated reality - temporarily - so there's no point to reading it beyond the aftermath scene where she depopulates mutant-kind with three magic words. This predates AvX, you should have read a reference or two of it in that.
That was also after Schism...
The new reference to know is the big bad terrigen mists and Cyclops supposedly being dead now because he threw a big tantrum about those mists killing every mutant they hit and I guess Black Bolt exploded him with a whisper or something.
All off-panel! There's no books you can pick up to read about those things... yet.
All-New X-Men Vol. 1 basically recaps everything important from the perspective of those original timetravelling five kids. That is an insanely underrated jumping-on point.
You can skip the rest of the volumes, long storylines short: they're trapped in a broken time-space continuum future now, and eventually hang out with going-crazy fugitive Cyclops' second X-school but he shuts that down just in time for X-Men issue #500.
Also: Iceman came out of the closet. /co/ lost it's shit over that.
Now you're caught up. I think that's all of it.
>>
>>83301519
Morrison's New X-Men if the definitive run, pleb.
>>
>>83303582
God dammit, they should have sent the O5 back a long time ago. Honestly, they shouldn't have been back for more than an arc at the very most if at all. Lord knows how long we're stuck with them even though a good amount of other books have explicitly mentioned this fucking up the timeline and needing to be fixed.
>>
>>83304090
I love Morrison and I love that he didn't just fucking ape Claremont like the other X-writers were ever since he left. I love that he killed Jean. Emma was the best thing to happen to Scott ever. I recommend his X-men any day of the week.

but the ending sucked. He just completely chucked Magneto's character development and regressed him back to the 60s
>>
File: 1461132304054.jpg (184 KB, 974x487) Image search: [Google]
1461132304054.jpg
184 KB, 974x487
>>83304060
Oh, and you should pick up Uncanny Avengers Vol. 1, very important things happened in that. In case you didn't yet know about all that Havok and the Red Skull stuff.
AXIS is the indirect follow-up to that, I didn't like it so much but you know, big crossover.
Otherwise it's been lots of character development here and there.
>>
>>83300802
>What books from the past five or so years are worth visiting?
X-Men has been terrible since AvX.
Some fringe books were still running at the time, but the main line has been poisoned and all the fringe books died eventually.

That being said:
>X-Treme X-Men by Pak (It's basically Exiles with 616 Dazzler)
>All-New X-Factor by David (X-Factor that is actually All-New, new team etc.)
>X-Men Legacy by Spurrier (~20 issue series about Legion. Art is terrible and weird. READ IT ANYWAY! This is important. And read X-Men Legacy 300 too.)
>Maaaaybe X-Force by Spurrier (but this is kind of a love it, hate it thing)
>Magneto by Bunn (I was surprised to find that this series was actually cool. Great art by Walta and the writing is surprisingly accurate to continuity)
And that's it for 2012+
Current running X-books are pretty lame. Bunn is now writing Uncanny, but that hasn't really gone anywhere since it got side tracked by an event.
All-New Wolverine is an X-23 ongoing and it's really fucking frustrating by how almost good it is. The storylines and ideas are mostly great, but Laura is pretty out of character and she's the lead.
>>
File: Death Is Coming For You Illyana.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
Death Is Coming For You Illyana.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
The only thing good about the current X-Men comics is the push they are giving Magik, hopefully soon she can fuck off away from the X-Men and join up with Strange to do some mystic mubojumbo.
>>
>>83304163
You just know it's goddess-Phoenix Jean from her throne outside of spacetime who's keeping them there for some incomprehensible reason.
For real, I just read the issue where kid-beast tried out all sorts of superhero time-travel props and even the magic ones are "randomly failing", that has conscious effort written all over it.
>>
>>83304249
that reminds me

Is Havok still crazy?
>>
>>83304378
My guess is: The writers don't bloody know or care. They just want to do their thing and let someone else take care of the clusterfuck eventually.
>>
>>83304429
>The writers don't bloody know or care.

I was listening to an interview with Rucka about his Cyclops run and he was talking about Bendis. He asked Bendis how Young Scott's visor actually worked .For storytelling purposes he wanted to know what Scott had to do to fire: touch it, secret switch in his glove, etc. Bendis said he never put any thought into it
>>
File: 1458912257580.jpg (28 KB, 303x346) Image search: [Google]
1458912257580.jpg
28 KB, 303x346
>>83304279
Her gradual development into a fully fleshed out sympathetic TheDevil of Limbo was one of the best things to come out of that Cyclops' school Uncanny X-Men run.
(Dazzler 2.0 is a close second)
>>
>>83304510
I just can't into Bendis-Men, I've tried, honestly, but it's just a big turn off to me. Maybe I'll give it another go some time in the future.
>>
>>83304530
I think the AV Club had the best review of the comic a whole

Running in place
>>
>>83304502
They've explained all the different ways it works in other media/stories.
Claremont even worked out how he's able to fire blasts without pushing the trigger, that was way early on.
Even with all his over-reach, Bendis doesn't have to care about the rationals until he breaks new ground.
>>
>>83304530
I've noticed that he seems to write women and girls almost too well, I really think that's why his writing is unrelatable to most readers on /co/, who are guys.
Gals must love X-Men these days.
>>
>>83304502
Now, in Bendis's defense, that's something that X-Men art has waffled on for decades, but it's another example of him thinking in these broad strokes about what he wants to do in a story and then not actually writing fleshed-out characters making choices, dealing with the world around them, and interacting with each other in a way that feels consequential. I would have loved a scene where young Cyclops examines his older self's tech or fighting style or something to study differences and similarities. Instead we got "Bobby... you're gay."
>>
File: 1234567890.png (875 KB, 778x621) Image search: [Google]
1234567890.png
875 KB, 778x621
>>83304510
>Her gradual development into a fully fleshed out sympathetic TheDevil of Limbo was one of the best things to come out of that Cyclops' school Uncanny X-Men run.
What a completely new and innovative direction to take the character into.
>>
>>83304609
Shut up, Brian.
>>
>>83304629
He knew he was just killing time until Secret War. How long did he spend on a plot that was eventually all wiped away with time travel?
>>
File: 1429648651388.jpg (104 KB, 1100x345) Image search: [Google]
1429648651388.jpg
104 KB, 1100x345
>>83304609
>I've noticed that he seems to write women and girls almost too well, I really think that's why his writing is unrelatable to most readers on /co/, who are guys.
Yeah, when has X-Men ever been notable for great female characters? Based Bendis saved the franchise once again.
>>
File: Havok_1459244064032.jpg (29 KB, 143x277) Image search: [Google]
Havok_1459244064032.jpg
29 KB, 143x277
>>83304401
Tony Stark was either cured or retconned good again but Sabretooth is still telling everyone who will listen that he's a reformed monster now, so Havok could go either way.
The thing is, if he is still evil he's smart enough to hide it.
And bide his time...
>>
I can't get the Claremont omnibuses in my country, but what are some essential claremont stories that have tpb's that I most likely can get here?
>>
>>83304629
>>83304647
This crap again? Do I need to post the image of his first date with a girl? (complete with his commentary on a musical)
FunFact: before it was interrupted by an attempted hatecrime he was just about to confess something to the girl "who meant the world to him"...
>>
>>83304738
This censorship or a supply issue?
There's threads in the archive that post every page. (thank God for X-Anon)
And there's other online archives.
>>
>>83304738
Just pirate everything
>>
>>83304790
Supply issue. The company that prints them here only prints vol 3 for some god damn reason.
>>
Anybody got a link to Dan's drive full of books, or anything else similar?
>>
>>83304847
Buy online and fork over those horrible book-rate shipping costs.
That's what I have to do because I live in the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>83304738

try this

http://www.readcomics.net/comic/x-men-1991
>>
>>83304647
9 issues over 7 months, what was supposed to be a tie-in lasted longer than Death of Wolverine and AXIS.
>>
>>83304658
Who is the tall brunette in the red dress? That's the only one I can't recognize.
>>
>>83305131
It's obviously Scarlet Witch.
>>
>>83305102
And I can't be the only one to wish someone had told me; "Hey, you only need to read that last issue, just like with House of M."
>>
/r/ing bendis' x men.
>>
>>83305146
Why is an Avenger in that? And where's her signature red hairpiece of any variety? And how the F does she qualify when Pixie isn't even there?
Grrrr... Bub! My nerdzerker rage has been unleashed!
>>
>>83305175
Why would you want to read it? It ultimately amounts to nothing more than gay Iceman, teen Jean and a botched revolutionary Cyclops.
>>
>>83305175
Literally the first page of All-New was Beast having a heart attack. Some say Bendis constantly shat on him because he wasn't allowed to get Ape Beast back, we'll never know because he'll never admit to it.
The rest is him dropping the ball from not reading any previous X-books or even taking the time to read the 8 issues of X-Men that lead up to the O5 going to the future.
>>
File: c6056093e9c3f754416edc581432d0f0.jpg (886 KB, 1650x1268) Image search: [Google]
c6056093e9c3f754416edc581432d0f0.jpg
886 KB, 1650x1268
>>83305321
Forgot pic.
>>
>>83301062
>ignore current stuff, it sucks
I agree and disagree at the same time.
It's not really shitty, but you can safely ignore it
>>
>>83300802
read>>83301118
Also, if you can stomach Land, Uncanny is the best.

Also, X-Men 92 for nostalgia sake
>>
>>83304090
found morrisonfag. kill yourself
>>
>>83305321
>Some say Bendis constantly shat on him because he wasn't allowed to get Ape Beast back, we'll never know because he'll never admit to it.
Did Beast at least have room for redemption before All-New before Bendis flanderized his flaws?
>>
>>83304224
> he didn't just fucking ape
except he made again "Magneto is evil" trope
except he rehashed DOFP
except he rehashed the Dark Side of Xavier
except he rehashed Sentinels
except he rehashed Weapon X
except he rehashed Imperial Guard vs X-Men
except he rehashed Phoenix Saga

he also made X-Men more convoluted by adding secondary mutation, and he ruined Genosha, which could have been one of the most interesing angles in X-Men history, but alas we will never have it.

the good things he did was introducing the concept of U-Men, mutant culture, x-men as a school,and some minor characters.

If you compare the good things with the bad, it turns out that he actually wrecked the X-Men. And to add insult to injury, he actually wanted to wreck the X-Men, judging from his interviews from the 90s as well as his post X-Men run.
>>
"Some say" ???
But the reality doesn't line up with that at all, as evidenced by Hank no longer being a cat and four-no three-no two versions of Beast are running around now.
Wouldn't it be more likely that he just always hated Beast for some characterization from decades ago?
And what was established before Bendis came along that he ignored?
I'm seriously asking.
>>
>>83304279
Yay, another X-Men character hijacked by other marvel properties. How many characters X-Men hijacked from other properties for themselves?
>>
>>83305483
Nope.
>>
>>83305526
And now he is pretty much a niche fapbait. Death of X better restart in a new universe because it's fucked.
>>
>>83305515
He wanted "Ape" Beast, whatever the fuck we have now is probably the result of a compromise.
>>83305515
>And what was established before Bendis came along that he ignored?
Off the top of my head
>Bobby mastering his ice form
>Cyclops being in charge of the school because Xavier was gone
>Xavier hunting down Lucifer in Europe
>Magneto being the one that crippled Xavier the first time instead of Lucifer
>>
>>83305523
I'd much rather see X-Men out doing stuff that doesn't fall under "Muh Oppression" and and Mutie Hate and We're going extinct again, some of the better times for the X-Men is when a few of them work with diffrent people or on their own. Illyana has a lot of story potential to work with, as do most of the others.
>>
>>83301118
>>83305444
I do not understand why you people are recommending this, I won't go as far to call it crap but, there is absolutely nothing canon consequential about that, it's a waste of money if someone's trying to catch up with the X-status-quo.
>>
>>83305578
Don't blame the writers for being hacks.
I don't like the idea of X-Men being dispersed among countless other books. That sucks.
>>
>>83305523
Not what happened. Read comics someday, you casual poser.
>>
>>83305585
The same thing could be said about Bendis's run on Uncanny X-Men, shit was pretty much self-contained except for Battle of the Atom.
>>
>>83305597
*Don't blame the franchise for writers being hacks

>>83305585
Which one? Landmen, or Legacy? Because Legacy is going to be adapted into a tv show, while Landmen are the most X-Menish comic we had since Gillen.
>>
>>83305605
? What the hell are you talking about?
>>
>>83305578
>>83305597
Fuck you both. Stop reading X-Men. Just stop. Then stop posting about how much you hate the premise of X-Men comics.
>>
>>83305648
Don't be harsh. I don't want X-Men to be disassembled, but I feel like writers don't get what made the X-Men work - a balance between soap opera, characterization and seriousness
>>
>>83305648
I'm sorry that you like the same four fucking stories told over and over again anon, but that's not going to stop me from liking the X-Men characters
>>
>>83305612
The OP asked for reads to catch up with recent X-Men canon, so that they can get back into today's books, how the hell does buying Legacy get them anywhere close to that goal? It predates the last thing they read.
>>
>>83305697
Well, for once, it might explain what happened with Charles Xavier song, and why no one remembers him, considering that AvX had his father killed, you know?

Also, it's a good read, and it's good enough to be adapted by tv show, and if it's adapted by tv show, you can expect some synergy, because marvel greenlighted the show, just like we have Apocalypse event, and shitload of TPB featuring Apocalypse stories.
>>
>>83305720
*Charles Xavier son
albeit Xavier's song would be interesting in itself
>>
>>83305697
>It predates the last thing they read.
Legacy with Legion as the MC came out after AvX and at the same time as All-New.
>>83305691
>tfw AvX was basically Children's Crusade if things escalated
>there was even a sub plot about SW being able to repower mutants
>>
>>83305678
>>83305691
It's heroes that fight to save a world that hates and fears them, that's the hook, that's the original hook, it's what no other superhero team does, it defines the X-Men concept.
You don't bash the reason the book isn't like every other generic superhero team book ad then claim that you still like the X-Men for who they've always been.
Logic exists, you're reasoning does not.
>>
>>83305742
>there was even a sub plot about SW being able to repower mutants
But we can blame that on the Avengers, Wanda wanted to go with the X-men and if she explained that she could repower mutants then they might not have hated her that much.

But Avengers fucked that up
>>
>>83305755
And what a good hook it is. But writers seem to go at it without subtlety, nuance. It's a great comic book. But don't forget that for every God Loves, Man Kills, and X-Tinction Agenda, you get Earthfall, X-Men vs Dracula, Savage Land hijinks, and whatsnot. What I'm angry about is that the writers don't know how to balance things, and it goes both ways. They can't bring me some manly tears / feels, and they can't entertain me with some light-hearted stuff as well.
>>
>>83305767
>But Avengers fucked that up
Basically everything that Avengers ever did.
Wonder Man was right
>>
>>83305574
I am really not seeing how the current Beast isn't "ape" Beast, that's in his powerset: beastial traits. Can you define this term in a manner that explains what is missing that he would have wanted?
>>83305574
>ignored?
Iceman has never been at full potential, the closest he's come was alt-reality AOA Iceman, you aren't talking about that Apocalypse seed story, are you? That wasn't a depiction of his natural powers, that was an evil possession powerboost.
>Cyclops being in charge of the school because Xavier was gone
Now I'm confused, are you referencing way back in Astonishing? Cyke ruling Utopia with Xavier there? Or after Cyke killed Xavier and was in X-exile???
Lucifer? The alien from the '60s? How was that ever relevant to a Bendis story?
>Magneto crippled Xavier.
Are you complaining about the Ultimate X-Men stories not conforming to 616 canon?
>>
>>83305920
Different anon, Bendis wrote during the Original Sin tie-in that Magneto blames himself for crippling Xavier, obviously drawing from the First Class, the movie. With the rest I don't know.
>>
>>83305823
Isn't that just a question of you not empathizing with the characters that are experiencing those highs and lows in the books these days?
God Loves an Kills was super emo and all about "Muh Oppression", in fact it could be said that there's never been a more "Muh Oppression" X-Men comic ever done.
That Dracula story was most memorable for it's character development for Storm and Nightcrawler, but it wasn't a fluff story any more or less than Racist Sentinels Attack 6: Sharknado.
It's a comic, most people expect shallow until one story resonates, you're expecting too much.
>>
>>83306058
>you're expecting too much.
Well, excuse me that the X-Men raised the bar so high.

Lemire is doing a strange job with it. He makes Storm completely incompetent. While I like his teenagers, he seems to be clueless at where does he want to go. His Old Man Logan is much better. Uncanny X-Men has Land and is decompressed, but I really like it. ANXM is inoffensive, and I don't understand the hatred towards Bagley, considering that he was one of the hottest artists in the 90s that could actually draw.

The problem is a little deeper, because I don't remember anything notable happening in the X-Men since AvX. It doesn't help that we don't get much announcements, or something to hype up a little bit the books. It does seem like writers just treat it as easy money, and they don't put much effort into making the books more captivating.

I mean, good book is when you can't wait for the next month to read it. The closest for me is Uncanny at the moment
>>
>>83305979
Okay, I'm just going to be a total basterd here and say this:

"You mean that alternate timeline that was rewrote away by the timetravelling Eva Bell? The one where Matthew Malloy existed and Professor X was secret married to Mystique???"
>>
>>83306158
Hey, don't shoot the messenger. Bendis can't into continuity. The reader should not guess what "the writer had meant", it should be clean and readable. If Magneto crippled Xavier, then what else was rewritten? Do we know it? Does anyone care? It's just that it's hard to not think that Bendis was inspired by the movies, because, as you mentioned yourself, he made Xavier married to Mystique, which in comic feels out of blue, while in movies, albeit creepy, would make more sense.

I'm surprised that he didn't revived Moira to be a CIA agent.
>>
File: APR160992.jpg (90 KB, 659x1000) Image search: [Google]
APR160992.jpg
90 KB, 659x1000
>>83306126
Well at least we can agree that Uncanny X-Men is the best of them these days...

...everything else, not so much.
>>
>>83306214
Yup, albeit, I wouldn't call them shitty either.
It's just that they don't grab me by my throat.
Frankly, the worst thing I could say about the current books is that they are painfully average.
>>
>>83306203
Face it, that was just a little continuity easter-egg clue that those scenes with '60s Professor X were going to go somewhere into retcon territory.
You may as well be pissed off that Cyclops and Magik didn't stay dead.
>>
>>83306259
Cyclops and Magik staying dead would have more signficance anon. It's just that Bendis era is full of all these little things that rub me in a wrong way. I'm not going to outrage over this Mags cripples Xavier retcon, but for me, it's an indication on how serious Bendis was about his job. And frankly, the fact that he completely ignored Axis, and Time Out pisses me off.

Especially that Hickman wanted to write about Nation X Cyke, but Brevoort said NO, and now it's too late.
>>
File: OCT150812.jpg (25 KB, 385x600) Image search: [Google]
OCT150812.jpg
25 KB, 385x600
>>83306241
I only feels the painfully average part about half of the time, Nightcrawler losing it over a mass grave doesn't really ring true to me after all he's been through before, and 4 of the X-boys having identity crisises because of timetravelling consequences seems somehow underdone and overreferenced at the same time.
Those are what piss me off the most.
>>
>>83306301
Nation X was retconned away with the rest of the Secret Wars build-up, a lot of good stuff was washed away companywide, but there's a nod to the concept at the end of Utopians, that's something. Anyway, it wasn't a new idea and Cyke is better than retreading old ground.
And I've posted before that even evil brothers can still crash on your couch and freeload, in fact that seems to be what IRL evil brothers do a lot.
>>
As someone who has never read X-men, it seems like a huge clusterfuck to get into. I bet 90% of those who want to read it, end up not reading it because it's such a mess.
>>
>>83301256
Considering many of the same creators are retarded, maybe it's better this way.
If both ends of the retardation spectrum keep each other in check then no one will fully destroy it.
>>
I hope in 10 years, with Secret Wars: Warsier, there will a post-AvX arc written by some nobody, disappointed in the direction of the titles since Bendis took over, to share with us the vision and all the possibilities the line held before it was wasted on nonsense treading water until the next event.

We really missed out on potential, as readers.
>>
>>83300802
The main X-books haven't been good since Claremont in the mid to late 80's. You get maybe a decent run on one of the secondary books like New Mutants, X-Static, Morrison's run, Spurrier's X-Men Legacy; but the main X-book is always bogged down by shitty status quo changes and events
>>
>>83305920
I've been asleep, so sorry about the delay.
>I am really not seeing how the current Beast isn't "ape" Beast
He wanted Avengers-era Beast, not the compromise he got. Even Hickman made fun of the fact he wasn't allowed to get the version Beast he wanted.
>Iceman has never been at full potential
Nigga you don't understand, literally the first page of X-Men #8, the same day Beast goes back in time to get the O5, Bobby finally ditched the snowman look and refined his ice crystals because Scott had been pestering him too. Bobby completely forgets he can do that as soon as he goes to the future doesn't get the look he's supposed to have until he goes through the Black Vortex twice 4 years later. And if we're talking about the Death Seed, I'm pretty sure it didn't boost his powers.
>Now I'm confused, are you referencing way back in Astonishing? Cyke ruling Utopia with Xavier there? Or after Cyke killed Xavier and was in X-exile???
X-Men #7, Xavier hunts the alien Lucifer in Europe and leaves Scott in charge of the school
>Are you complaining about the Ultimate X-Men stories not conforming to 616 canon?
No, Bendis thought Magneto crippled Xavier the first time instead of Lucifer.
>>
File: 1429895070119.jpg (2 MB, 2100x3000) Image search: [Google]
1429895070119.jpg
2 MB, 2100x3000
>>83311500
Found the page about Bobby
>>
Why does /co/ suck Claremont's dick so much? You guys didn't read Xtreme X-men or X-men: The End?
>>
File: 1429894177465.jpg (2 MB, 2100x3000) Image search: [Google]
1429894177465.jpg
2 MB, 2100x3000
>>83311636
Xavier putting Scott in charge while he gets ready to leave for a action-packed trip to Europe.
>>
File: 15g59pt.jpg (277 KB, 1272x602) Image search: [Google]
15g59pt.jpg
277 KB, 1272x602
>>83311697
I'm pretty sure Bendis didn't even know Lucifer existed. The O5 always talked about Xavier as if he was on campus and even Raze saw him there when he checked to make sure the time machine was working.
>>
>>83311679
>he was terrible when he returned
Everyone knows this.
His original run was still great.
>>
>>83312113
This
Present shit work doesn't invalidate past great work.
>>
>>83304060
who melted colossus?
>>
>>83304378
I wonder what WPOTC Jean thinks about the state of the X-Men right now. I'm so fucking pissed that Marvel insists on having the Inhumans and X-Men oppose each other. I love both groups and this "war" really isn't needed. And of course Terrigen has to be toxic to a lot of mutants instead of powering them up like what happened with Quicksilver
>>
>>83312628
It's Wolverine covered in adamantium.
>>
>>83312113
>>83312246
Still, you shouldn't suck his dick so much then. Just talk about a guy who was lucky for a few years.
>>
>>83315825
>was lucky for a few years
I agree with your general point, but you're exaggerating.
"Luck" devalues the whole thing way too much. You can't just bang your head on a typewriter and get 10 years of solid X-Men comics.
He did have a knack for writing and creating memorable characters, he had a lot of fun ideas as well as decent long term planning.

Why he went to shit later? Who really knows.
I guess the franchise sort of moved on without him for a while. That was probably part of it. He definetly didn't have the same amount of freedom as he used to, either.
Also in the late 80s editorial started pushing him around more and more and maybe that got into his head.

As I said, who knows why, but the man changed and lost his touch.
That still doesn't mean his older stuff isn't well-crafted.
>>
>>83304279
Man! Where are the backgrounds in the panels of that page? Are they literally in limbo?
>>
>>83308155
Just pick up an issue and read, it's that easy.
>>
I miss when the X-Books were good. Old man logan is passable and 92 is good for nostalgia but the current storytelling milieu is terrible for X-men stories and I just want something nice or good to happen to my favorite mutants for once.
>>
>>83319635
>Are they literally in limbo?
Yes. No even kidding: X-Haven is *literally* in Limbo.
>>
>>83320721
I guess that gives artists an excuse to not draw backgrounds? How nice for those lacking talent or the inclination!
>>
File: modern_x-men_rec_0_3.jpg (610 KB, 4884x1027) Image search: [Google]
modern_x-men_rec_0_3.jpg
610 KB, 4884x1027
>>83308155
I've been working on this.

If anyone has some input, I'd welcome it (essential or great books I'm missing, etc)

I like to think that the bar is pretty high for this one. I don't know if that makes sense.
Ultimately, I could just list anything that is at least readable to have a more complete version.
But it probably wouldn't be as fun to read.

I'm also considering merging Supplementory and Tangential rows.

In any case it's still lacking the move to Utopia and I should probably put in a column for X-Necrosha.
I also considered adding War of Kings at least referentially. I know Rise and Fall was a slog at the time, but I enjoyed it, reading it in one go years later.

CAPTCHA: JEAN PARADIS
>>
>>83308155

Uncanny X-Men is the only X-Book from like #94 to ~#200
>>
>>83320969
Nah, 150 is Brood Saga. That's where New Mutants starts and Wolverine has his first solo.
>>
>tfw I want to read X-Men after seeing Apocalypse and remembering I really liked the O5/Claremont era X-Men
I know where I need to pick back up, but I can't find the motivation to sit down and actually do it.
>>
File: 1443890871504.jpg (356 KB, 1100x728) Image search: [Google]
1443890871504.jpg
356 KB, 1100x728
>>83321151
Just do it. These issues are easy as hell to pick back up. All that over-narration that you usually hate comes in really handy if you haven't read in weeks or months.
They are also easy to put back down again since a single issue is usually a decent chunk of story.
>>
X-Men books need some new material. Same tried and true premise of protecting a world that fears and hates them while providing mystery and "soap opera" among heroes and villains, but just add some new material. And tap into previously untapped potential in characters who have been around for some time, but nothing has been done with them.

Is that too much to ask?
>>
>>83320914
That's impressive, but most new readers will get trades, include them as well.
>>
File: xfactor019.jpg (70 KB, 330x502) Image search: [Google]
xfactor019.jpg
70 KB, 330x502
I noticed Marvel Unlimited uploaded issues #9-11 and #18-26, the ones with the original Apocalypse saga. Has anyone ripped them yet?
>>
>>83322856
I think I'll stick with single issues. Should be easy enough to find out if a trade contains them
Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.