[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come this had none of the endearing charm of the original
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: just.jpg (96 KB, 1264x711) Image search: [Google]
just.jpg
96 KB, 1264x711
How come this had none of the endearing charm of the original shorts or even the pilot?

What did [as] do to Neely?
>>
>>83269511
is the original shit really that good? because i fucking loved this show.
>>
Fuck you, I loved China, Il.
>>
>>83269511
show is great even considering the stuff you said

i love Neely
>>
agree with above
>>
>>83269569
Yeah
people are complaining because Neely had a much more laid back and focused style
His words and dialogue really seemed to flow, especially in babycakes' diaries, especially in all the songs
The format had to change to this because his style was probably somewhat grating after 15 minutes of it straight
I mean, I can watch multiple episodes of Neely's stuff, but if it was on the same topic, I'd probably get bored

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT8h4UmuN1Q
this is my favorite
>>
I loved the shorts and the series. the adding of pupils was really weird to me at first, but grew out of it.

"They say this school was built on an Indian burial ground. But if you think about it, so was all of America."
>>
>>83269511
i loved it, honestly. yeah the shorts were better but there were a lot of great moments during the show.

the fucking gorilla and the musical ep is one of the best things to me
>>
>>83269569
Personally I think the original shorts are fantastic, some of the best original animations on youtube.

They're different than the show though. The shorts were mostly character driven. The humor comes from them being eccentric people with weird perspectives about our normal world. Oddly enough they come across as more like genuine people even though they're more strange than their show counterparts.
>>
>>83269511
I think the series reversed one of the fundamental elements of the original youtube videos: A normal world seen in a fantastical way. The world of the shorts was pretty mundane for the most part but was presented through musical number, bullshit history lessons and fantastical injections of BC's lore. It was never totally clear what that world was like because we it was so expensively filtered through the perspective of the short's main character. It made any wackyness seem grounded, strange ideas seem familiar and gave felt very personal.
Even a guy like Frank seemed sympathetic because for a few minutes we had to live in Frank's world.

The TV series flipped that entirely which, despite being entertaining, resulted in something far more conventional. It was normal people placed in an insane world. It also focused on so many character that the sense of intimacy was lost. Frank is just a regular asshole, Baby Cakes is a wierd idiot, Steve, well Steve was turned into the straight man which was a little disappointing. Original he was a genuinely laid back partner in crime to Frank, in the series he became a snarky hero. The entire cast felt like a cast, not a collection of wierdos. As fun as the show was, that was it's main problem, it bioled down to just another surreal comedy cartoon with the usual characters and situations with a wacky coat of paint.

Also:
Coffee Line
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2PlAUzAFIU
>>
>>83270767
Well said.
>>
I kinda hate what they did to Frank's voice.
>>
>>83270767
you hit the nail on the head.

I just want to also make it clear that I enjoyed the show, it's just not as wonderful as Neely's earlier stuff.

Wizard People Dear Reader is his crowning achievement
>>
File: it is raining.png (140 KB, 368x368) Image search: [Google]
it is raining.png
140 KB, 368x368
>>83270767
>every one of us is just hoping to turn out to be one of those forgotten chosen ones, right?
>>
>>83270882
Fuck I nearly forgot about that. True art in our modern age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjYPfOnuf9w&list=PLKZ4nXu_u5CQS3_brOmXa-O9B8599NhiQ
Here it is for those of you to lazy to copy and paste into youtube yourselves.
>>
>>83270767
I will never not laugh at embaldment.
>>
>It's like when you're eating a banana and the just keeps hitting you in the face, like
>flap
>flap
>flap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCjn-24mMqY
>>
>>83269511
just the demands of a normal programming schedule probably. the shorts were poetry. they had a feeling of weightiness and significance. impossible to do that on demand for 11 or 22 minutes at a time. he's a really great writer but you can't force inspiration.
>>
>>83269814
Yep, that's what I like about this show. It was about a bunch of assholes who think they're a good person, like most people in reality do.
>>
>>83271861
Wish it was more narrated as the online stuff still its ok._._i am sads for metalocalypse
>>
>>83270767
Love is a spell
>>
>>83271861
>steve's fucking face at the reveal
It's amazing how such a simplistic style can convey so much
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qljs6phMy8o
I think this one needs a bit more love.
>>
>>83275055
Man, I love the sporadic China, IL threads. Because I get to see these classics again. Fucking gets me everytime
>>
/co/, have I ever told you you look a lot like my friend Carabas?
>>
>>83275055
Love this song. It's also the first video I started really noticing the little comic book references in some of Neely's videos, like Matt Murdock in this one at 0:31 and Oswald Cobblepot at 0:50.
>>
>>83277045
There's a lot more in this video
>>
File: 1457578603110.gif (2 MB, 270x180) Image search: [Google]
1457578603110.gif
2 MB, 270x180
>>83270767
>Unless you're already old and Ugly then you just act British
>>
I am a die hard fan of the original cartoons watching them while being a edgy teen. But I liked China IL, I mean it's different to his normal work and probably was changed constantly by the producing team but neither the less I enjoyed it for different reasons.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.