[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Rock's Producer Promises Shazam! Is A Ton Of Fun
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: shazam-183630.jpg (143 KB, 655x380) Image search: [Google]
shazam-183630.jpg
143 KB, 655x380
With the DC Film universe launching into full swing with Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, their upcoming slate has been on the hot seat for what it will deliver. The recent super hero brawler received many criticisms for not being as much fun as other super hero flicks released before it but does that mean the rest of the DC Extended Universe will follow suit? Not at all.

Suicide Squad looks poised to turn around the tone of the DC Extended Universe with its gang of anti-heroes and witty one-liners showcased in the film's trailers. Then comes Patty Jenkins' Wonder Woman, followed by Justice League, The Flash, and several more. Eventually, we'll get to the Shazam! film which stars Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as counterpart Black Adam.

Johnson's producer, Hiram Garcia, is a life long comic book fan and couldn't possibly be more excited about the opportunity to work on in the DC canon. In case you haven't heard of the constantly busy producer, Garcia is the VP of Johnson's Seven Bucks Productions company and his production resume extends from the Fast & Furious franchise to San Andreas to HBO's Ballers.

"We're a good way into development," Garcia tells ComicBook.com regarding the status of Shazam!. "We're expecting a next draft soon which I think is really gonna put us in the zone that we're hoping for."
>>
As for the story we can expect to see when the film, which is scheduled for 2019 but may arrive earlier than planned, there's a certain DC Comics story which Garcia is holding close to his heart. "There's a great opportunity between [Black Adam and Shazam]." Garcia explains. "The great thing with Shazam for me as a fan, I was always a fan of Superman and his mythology as I grew up. I remember it was Alex Ross's Kingdom Come that was the first time that ever made me look at Shazam just differently. I just knew of Shazam, you know the name, you knew the word, but I thought Alex Ross... He portrayed him and drew him in that epic kind of conflict that him and Superman ultimately had. It just made me look at Shazam in way like this is a bad motherf---er."
>>
When it comes to injecting some fun into the film, Garcia is looking to do just that. "That whole world, as well as Black Adam as you start looking into Black Adam, so our take on that world is first and foremost, movies like that can be grounded and can have real stakes but can still be fun," he says. "That's the place we always want it to come from. We have a character in Shazam that is a boy who is in this man's body who is having the ultimate fulfillment that I think all comic book fans and everyone can associate with. Like, what if you wake up one day and you can just do all this great stuff? And then on the other side, you have this force of nature who is really anchored by what he lost in his family and that thread that he's bringing with him throughout this journey. There's a real grounding there. That combination of youth and enthusiasm and being in new to a world and then the place that Adam's coming from. It makes for a great dynamic that not only allows us to have not only real stakes, real story, and real emotion, but a ton of fun in the process. There's no reason that there should ever be a version of this story told that's devoid of that. That's our goal in doing this: following the path of the films that have been coming out and have done such a good job."
>>
>tfw we'll have a Shazam movie before we get an on-going comic
>>
Garcia is also ready to acknowledge the massive success Marvel Studios has found in its eight year run to date and it sounds like Shazam! may borrow from the formula a bit when it rolls around. "Marvel has, everyone knows, really locked into that place where they're able to tell you really grounded, rooted stories that have real repercussions and there's a real wake that's left after what's the done but while through the whole process they still acknowledge that, you have a blast while you're watching that," Garcia says, before going on to highlight the "banter," and "Dialogue." "They find the moments where you're constantly having fun and you're able to go on the ride and that's the place we're gonna be playing in," he says.

"I promise you dude, we're not gonna f--- this up!" Garcia enthusiastically assures us all. "My vision is so clear for this story and this movie. As story tellers, you sometimes get on projects but this has always been a priority. I've been carrying the Black Adam torch for so many years before we finally locked it in and I'm telling you we're gonna knock this thing out of the park. It's gonna be a blast and it's gonna be a dope ride, so get ready!"

Shazam! is currently set for release April 4, 2019.

http://comicbook.com/2016/05/23/the-rocks-producer-promises-shazam-is-a-ton-of-fun/
>>
>>83088183
I've been hearing about a possible Shazam movie for as long as I've been hearing about a possible ongoing.

We're probably never going to get either.
>>
>SHAZAM!
good
>Shazam
wrong
>>
>Captain Marvel
>played by the Rock
wat
>>
>>83088329
He's playing Black Adam.
>>
>>83088399
Who is playing Billy?
>>
>>83088446
John Cena
>>
>>83089216
This is honestly 10/10 casting right here, I'm going to be dissapointed when they pick someone else
>>
>>83088081
This movie has literally been promised for over a decade with the Rock. It's not fucking happening, this is hype trying to get funding. If there's no announcement at SDCC this year, they don't have funding and it won't go anywhere for another year at least.

>which is scheduled for 2019 but may arrive earlier than planned

See this? This is why he's giving the interview. He's convinced that Snyder has fucked the dog and WB won't go forward with any more DCEU movies. The problem with that assumption is this: if that's true, they're unlikely to release any funding for superheroes. They've got plenty of other properties to work with, and a lot of successful tv shows with more on the way, three more movies to release and probably a full slate until 2019 anyway. Maybe beyond, if something miraculous happens.

Ten years ago when New Line was still a real studio? Sure, you could take this seriously. There might have been funding to come from them even if WB weren't going to. But now? It's a banner. It exists to differentiate from the main brand for the audience, so they know going in they're getting something different. But the funding all comes from the same place now. This is not happening, it got sidelined to New Line for a reason.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.