[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Your Ship has Sailed.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 13
File: feelsbad.jpg (13 KB, 400x290) Image search: [Google]
feelsbad.jpg
13 KB, 400x290
And it is never coming back. After many years of being peripherally interested, about a year ago i finally started reading comics. I went back and got scans of the series i wanted to read all the way back to it's beginning. It's crushing my soul. You get a relationship dynamic you like, and all seems good, and then a new writer comes along, ends it, and replaces it with shit relationship you hate. The worst part is you know it's never coming back. Commiserate with me /co/, sing the songs of our forgotten loves.
>>
It was ended by Doctor Manhatten.
>>
>>83060707

Fuck man, that's one of the ships i was thinking of.
>>
>>83060707
BB x Raven was never good
>>
>>83062660
mad cartoonfag detected

I collect BB/Raven artwork now because my ex-wife was a die-hard Robin/Raven shipper
>>
>>83062660

Have you read the Comics? I ask this as an honest question, not as an attempted rebuttal. For all i know you read them and did not care for the pairing, and that's fine i guess, i'm not going to start a holy war over it, i just want to know. Personally i liked that pairing, and i was very sad to see it go.

The problem i've found with comics is that given enough time EVERY ship will die. It will get a new writer, and they won't like it, or they'll want to shake things up, and suddenly your ship is dead. Even ones that are well established or have years of content behind them just go up in flames in a few issues to make way for the new thing, and i hate that. Is it wrong to want happy endings for characters i like if they find someone they care for and have a good relationship with? why we gotta edgelord everything and kill people, or make up relationship problems out of no where that never existed, or just have it not work out for reasons never really explained. Why man? Why do all my ships have to die?
>>
It'll never happen now, because Elixir is dead is Laura is apparently permanently attached to All-New Angel, who is a shit.
>>
>>83060650
Quit reading Big Two capes.

Read comics where the characters are owned by the creators, so the editorial department can never replace those creators with a new set who won't understand the characters.

Your suffering is your own fault; you're suffering because you chose to read comics that will make you suffer.
>>
>>83063798

Well friend your words are harsh, but perhaps they have merit. I admit my woeful ignorance, i know of few independent comics though i have read one or two. Could you perchance recommend a few that might satisfy?
>>
>>83060650
Sometimes runs are too short but if it's a writer I don't like I stop reading.
Hasn't really been a problem since I don't give too much of a fuck about continuity
>>
>>83063599

I don't know enough about current X-men runs to commiserate, it's on my list of things to read, but i'll have to slog through all the old stuff first when i do get around to it. That being said this seems pretty decent just based on the one panel, and i remember seeing a panel with angel dude on another thread and he seemed like a cunt, so i'm sorry for your loss friend.
>>
>>83063599
Did he die again? I remember him dying a year back, but then he got brought back as a villain.
>>
>>83063523
>Is it wrong to want happy endings for characters
I fear for Layla & Maddox
>>
>>83064060

Again friend, please forgive my woeful ignorance, to whom do you refer? I fear that i fail to understand the intent of your post, as i do not understand the reference.
>>
>>83063994
Yeah, it's mostly based on them having a pretty great rapport in the Choi/Oback run on X-Force. I think their shared history woud be a great basis for their relationship. Especially since Josh really doesn't like killing, and probably wouldn't be a big fan of Laura throwing herself into harm's way, but also wouldn't be judgmental about it.

And yeah, Angel is king shithead. There's even a convincing argument that the Laura/Warren relationship can be read as abusive:
>http://majingojira.tumblr.com/post/141213206257/laura-and-warren-a-match-made-for-his-benefit

>>83064022
Nope, he got killed off in Uncanny.

Also that first time was total bullshit, Laura was right there and did NOTHING. I mean, Bendis outright ignored it, but still. Total bullshit.
>>
>>83060650
>>>83062660
>mad cartoonfag detected
>
>I collect BB/Raven artwork now because my ex-wife was a die-hard Robin/Raven shipper

The fuck? Robin and Star were canon and portrayed in the show as being together. I get the ambiguity between most TT ships but this one is nonsensical.
>>
RIP one of the greatest couples in comics.
>http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/01/spider-man-in-love/384860/
>http://www.spideykicksbutt.com/WhyYouMaryJane/WhyYouMaryJanePart1.html
They'll always be canon to me.
>>
>>83063943
You talk like a fag and your shit's all retarded.
>>
>>83064338

Hello, Op here, for the record>>83062660 is not me, nor is>>83062744. I'm going to assume there was some miss clicking there. Either way i'm not sure what your trying to get at, but yes Robin and Star were a couple in the source material, until Greyson fucked it up (or more accurately the writers did). Gotta admit that annoyed me a bit, i did like Star and Robin, Though the start was pretty rough for me with that one. Course it started back when a lot of the Titans stuff was pretty rough, the early writing for that caused me pain sometimes.
>>
>>83064388

Would you prefer i spoke like you? Would it increase the quality of my post's if all i did was use meaningless insults and spew rage? Perhaps we have lived in very different places, but i was unaware that trying to keep things civil and further a discussion which may prove enjoyable rather than knowingly causing the thread to devolve into meaningless arguments about personal preference was an indicator of homosexuality.
>>
>>83064380

While i have not personally read all of spider man I've a friend who has that shares your opinion and has discussed it with me at length.He, and to a lesser degree I, feel your pain.
>>
>>83064530
fuck that guy, what are you looking for?
>>
>>83063943

Some genre-based recommendations (I've taken the liberty of mixing in some manga):

Crime
- Stray Bullets
- Torpedo
- Road to Perdition
- Ms. Tree
- Richard Stark's Parker
- Black Lagoon
- Criminal
- Stumptown
- Blacksad
- 100 Bullets
- Damned (BOOM! Studios)
- Southern Bastards
- Sin City
- Golgo 13
- Old Boy
- Miss: Better Living Through Crime
- Naja
- Blue Estate
- Deceivers
- The Fade Out
- Gunsmith Cats
- Luna Park
- Polar
- Whiteout
- From Hell
- Sheltered
- Lady Killer

Military/Espionage
- The Sheriff of Babylon
- The Black Order Brigade
- Battlefields
- The 'Nam
- Nick Fury: My War Gone By
- Pride of Baghdad
- Unknown Soldier (2008 series)
- War Stories (2001 & 2003 miniseries)
- Queen & Country
- Velvet
- Moving Pictures
- The Coldest City
- The Activity

Post-apocalyptic
- Akira
- Biomega
- Borderline
- East of West
- Lazarus
- Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
- Wasteland
- Low

Space sci-fi:
- Planetes
- Saturn Apartments
- The Airtight Garage
- Invisible Republic
- Knights of Sidonia
- Outlanders
- Star Slammers
- Metabarons
- Trigun
- Saga
- Six-Gun Gorilla (BOOM! Studios)

Cyberpunk
- Appleseed
- Ghost in the Shell
- Pluto: Urasawa x Tezuka
- Transmetropolitan
>>
>>83064853
More genre-based recommendations:

Horror/Occult-Mystery
- Hellboy & related books (BPRD, etc.)
- The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service
- I Am a Hero
- Fatale
- Wayward
- Through the Woods
- Uzumaki

Miscellaneous historical/biographical/drama
- Boxers & Saints
- A Bride's Story
- Fax from Sarajevo
- Two Brothers
- Laika
- Friends of Maxx
- Fun Home

All-ages adventure:
- Bone
- Koma
- Juice Squeezers
- Paper Girls
- Leave it to Chance
- Arrowsmith

Traditional westerns
- Doug Wildey's Rio
- Jonah Hex (2006 series)
- Blueberry

"Weird" westerns
- Copperhead
- The Guns of Shadow Valley
- Manifest Destiny
- The Sixth Gun
- All Star Western (2011 series)

Samurai
- Lone Wolf & Cub
- Blade of the Immortal
- Usagi Yojimbo
- Rurouni Kenshin
- Samurai Executioner
- Lady Snowblood

Superhero/pulp adventure
- The Spirit (2007 series)
- Punisher (2004 MAX series)
- The Maxx
- Miracleman by Alan Moore
>>
>>83064799

Thank you friend. Suffice to say one of the Anons above told me that my issue was that i was reading Marvel and Dc comics, and that i would be more satisfied with works that were not produced by those companies. While his choice of words was harsh i found his assertion intriguing and inquired if he had any comics not by the major companies that he could recommend. If i were to describe what i'm looking for, i would say that i'm looking for comics with quality writing, preferably with a satisfying romantic subplot, though that isn't necessarily required. If they are cape comics that's a bonus. I understand this is a very vague set of parameters, and that could be frustrating, but i'm fairly open to trying new things, and since this isn't something i had previously considered enough to narrow down the criteria i am afraid i cannot provide you with anything more specific to go off of.
>>
>>83064853
>>83064885

Thank you very much for your recommendations, i'll take the time to look into them.
>>
File: MFW_2.png (7 KB, 349x298) Image search: [Google]
MFW_2.png
7 KB, 349x298
>>83064937
If i'd recommend capes with "satisfying romantic subplot" the only title I could think of is Image's Invincible
>>
>>83065035

Thank you for the suggestion friend, i admit I've been curious about that for some time, i hear good things, though the only thing i really have to go off of is a panel of what i assume to be the main character getting the shit beat out of him that i saw a while back.
>>
>>83065035
Adam Warren's Empowered is a "cape comic" with some solid romantic asides.

I don't know if it fits OP's criteria for "quality writing" though. I like it myself, but I'll be the first to say that much of its appeal to me comes from its raunchy humor and Warren's cheesecake-y art (which aren't for everybody).
>>
File: MFW_caesar.png (102 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
MFW_caesar.png
102 KB, 251x251
>>83064853
>>83064885
continuing anon's recomendations
>MFW Anon has patrician taste

Military/Espionage
- Cat Shit One

Post-apoc
- Bloodstar (Richard Corben)
- Hombre
- Richard Corben's Mutant World

Space sci-fi
- The Aldebaran Cycles
- Valerian & Laureline, space-time agents

Horror/Occult-Mystery
-Sergio Bleda's Vampire's Dance

Historical/bio/drama
- Age of Bronze
- The throne of Clay
- Corto Maltese

All ages
- Asterix
- Iznogoud
- Peter Madsen's Valhalla

Western
- Bouncer
>>
>>83065165

I actually read that, just for shits and giggles. The writing is actually getting better, the last few volumes were pretty good in my opinion, and i feel like despite it's origins it's going places and getting progressively deeper. Any idea when we can expect volume 10?
>>
>>83065244

Thank you for your recommendations friend. This is definitely not where i thought this thread would go, though i can't say i'm not pleased with the direction it's taking.
>>
>>83065274
>Any idea when we can expect volume 10?

I remember Warren off-handedly mentioning on tumblr that it should be out either later this year or early next year.

I do agree that the more recent volumes have begun to emphasize actual plot and themes beyond those of the early books (it actually reads like a "conventional" superhero comic at times) and the book is much better for it, although the callbacks to prior continuity also means its become perhaps slightly less accessible to new readers.

Also, if you're a fan of Warren's work, I recommend Livewires (he didn't draw it, although he did write it and do the breakdowns/layouts) from Marvel. It's only loosely connected to Marvel's superhero stuff, though (one can enjoy it with no prior knowledge of Marvel's superheroes) and it's really more of a cyberpunk comic than anything else.

I also recommend Titans: Paper, Scissors, Stone, a standalone Elseworlds volume published by DC in 1997. Again, it's only nominally a superhero comic... it's really a far-future sci comic. It's really ambitious in terms of Warren's incorporation of science fiction elements, so much so that those who aren't really into "real" SF (as opposed to the hand wave-y "superhero science") might find it a bit too dense in the reading. It's especially interesting for Empowered fans, though, since you'll see some earlier applications of ideas/visual techniques that Warren eventually employed in his later work.
>>
File: 1458672245321.jpg (16 KB, 180x192) Image search: [Google]
1458672245321.jpg
16 KB, 180x192
>>83065304
Well, I mean, as you said "the ship has sailed", right?
Then start making a raft, anon

Crime (w occult)
Black Kiss
Raptors

Post-apoc
Axa
Druuna

Sci-fi
Anything made by Juan Zanotto

All ages
Melusine
Yakari

Fantasy/Sword & Sorcery
Aela the viking princess
Alef Thau
Artesia
Conan
Djinn
Elric of Melnibone (Titan comics)
Frank Thorne's Red Sonja
Legends of Percevan
Red Caps
Segrelle's The Mercenary
Thorgal
>>
>>83065506

Indeed, i just want to know what the hell happened in San Antonio. That's pretty much the reason i stuck with it till it got better, was cause there was just enough of a hook early on to get me to keep going. Initially i wanted to know what was up with Thug's body count (you remember that dream sequence? That interested me, since up to that point pretty much everything had been gags and poking at your average cape comic.) Now i wanna know what's up with her suit, and why in the bonus material we have that page of her future self seeing Ninjette and crying i mean we can guess, but i wanna know specifics you know?

>Titans, Livewires
Those the one's that get referenced in the in between chapter pages where they talk about his thing for killing off characters and going grim dark in series that were initially made for laughs?
>>
>>83065524

I love you guys /co/ you've made a shitty day infinity better.
>>
>>83065616
>Those the one's that get referenced in the in between chapter pages where they talk about his thing for killing off characters and going grim dark in series that were initially made for laughs?

I'm fairly certain that what Warren is referring to in the specific case you're mentioning is his work on Gen13. It was a fun, cheeky, self-effacing read for most of his time on it, but when word came down from on high that it was to be cancelled... well, let's just say that he made it so that readers wouldn't forget how the story ended (no spoilers from me, but be warned if you do decide to check Wikipedia). I hated the way he ended it for the longest time, but I've softened my stance on it over the years, and have even come to appreciate the statement he was seemingly trying to make with how he ended the title.
>>
>>83060650
so I feel now with rebirth
>>
>>83060650

It's a pretty terrible feeling.
>>
>>83065959

I've actually wanted to read Gen13 for the longest time after i saw this old cartoon film (which now that i look back was kinda cheezy, but hey i was young), but my local store only stocks new stuff, and none of my usual methods are turning anything up. Any idea where i can find that?
>>
>>83065982

What happened to you friend?
>>
>>83066012

If you're looking just for Adam Warren's work on the main Gen13 series, part of it's been been collected in two trade paperbacks: Gen13: Superhuman Like You (collects issues #60–#65), and Gen13: Meanwhile (collects issues #43–#44 and #66–#70). The final storyarc, issues #71–#77, have never been collected, though, so you'll have to get the floppies individually.

There's also his work on issues #8–#10 of the Gen13: Bootleg spin-off series, which has been collected in the Gen13 Bootleg: Grunge the Movie trade paperback. And then there's the Gen13: Magical Drama Queen Roxy 3-part miniseries (he didn't draw this one, though, just wrote it, and it's one of the weaker portions of his Gen13 work, and I'd recommend it only if you're going to be a completist about Warren's Gen13 work).

These are all currently out of print as far as I know, so your best bet, if you want to get the physical paperbacks/floppies, is Amazon or eBay (or I dunno, try contacting Warren on social media and see if he's got any old copies he's willing to sell to you directly... I don't know if he's ever done anything like that, but hey, it could happen, and you'd get an interesting story out of it).

If you're going the piracy route, torrents or libgen are probably the way to go.
>>
>>83066315
Oh wait, I just checked and Warren did pencil Gen13: Magical Drama Queen Roxy. It's just that it looks a bit off compared to his other Gen13 work
>>
>>83064380
Having read through Ultimate Spider-Man in the threads recently, I hate the fact that they're not together even more now. Although nothing crushes you like remembering how great they were in the JMS run.
>>
File: otp.jpg (161 KB, 1188x934) Image search: [Google]
otp.jpg
161 KB, 1188x934
Coincidentally, it is also the most hated ship among most fans in all of DC's history.
>>
>>83060650
>comics
You're not talking about comics, you're talking about a certain genre of comics. Mainstream geek culture oriented/kiddie comics (superheroes, sci-fi and fantasy).

There is a whole world out there with other comics, that are actually targeted towards you (I assume you're over 18 years).
>>
File: What We Once Had.png (460 KB, 451x700) Image search: [Google]
What We Once Had.png
460 KB, 451x700
The old 52 run of Jaime Reyes as the Blue Beetle. Sure, there we clunky stories towards the end, like the immigration issue.

When it was good though, it was phenomenal.

-The Reach and their slow, manipulative invasion.

-Paco and Brenda, two powerless humans who stuck by and helped their friend, no matter how weird shit got.

-The Reyes family and their relationship with their son and the fact that they knew what he was, yet still supported him.

-The history for the scarab and, by extension, the camaraderie Jamie had with the scarab.

All of it, plus the great art from Rafael Albuquerque, the high adventure feel of the stories and the appearances from the surviving JLI made for a series that I loved.

Then the Nu 52 came about and stuffed all of that down the shitter.

I don't even know where or what the fuck Jamie is in the grand scheme of things. They took all of that fun, switched it out for angst and despair then wondered why no-one was reading the book.

I'm going to go reread the Giffen/Rogers run before I throw up pure bile.
>>
>>83063798
But oftentimes a character's best run isn't by their creators.
And dismissing a good book because it's about capes is incredibly hypocritical.
>>
>>83066818
>how great they were in the JMS run
we must have read different JMS runs
>>
>>83060650
> Ship I like BobKat
> Bendis and Humpries come along and make StarKat a thing, and Bobby gay. Fuck them.
>>
File: Clone boy.jpg (124 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
Clone boy.jpg
124 KB, 500x376
>>83066869
Pleb taste.

Tim belongs with his clone boy.
>>
>>83060650
I'm still mad about what they did to Hal/Carol
>>
>>83067207
No
>>
File: Timkon.png (613 KB, 900x1048) Image search: [Google]
Timkon.png
613 KB, 900x1048
>>83067232
Don't fight it.
>>
Yeah, this is a thing with Superhero comics. At least, the big ones.

I would recommend going creator owned (Image etc) but there are certainly some titles you could look at with more of a structure - I'm thinking Aja Hawkeye and the recent Vision series. I reckon these creators must go in with the mindset that most major things will be retconned or ignored, so they go for the more intimate, low key stuff. These series often give you more closure, too.
>>
>>83063599

What the fuck is wrong with that colouring?
>>
>>83060650
Why would you read a series from the beginning? This isn't manga. You're not meant to read it long term.
>>
File: Silver implyer.png (113 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Silver implyer.png
113 KB, 250x250
>>83064853
>>83064885
>not reading Scout
>not reading Badger
>not reading Sanctuary
>not reading Heat
>not reading Crying Freeman
>not reading Mister X / Electropolis / Terminal City
>not reading Black Lagoon
>not reading Nexus
>not reading Godzilla In Hell
>not reading Fury MAX My War Gone By
>not reading Bambi and Her Pink Gun
>not reading Conan v1 (Dark Horse)
>not reading Planetary
>not reading Archie Meets The Punisher
>not reading Amanda Conner's Power Girl
>not reading The Punisher (Marvel Knights)
>not reading Alan Moore's Swamp Thing
>not reading Ronin
>not reading Frank Miller's Daredevil
>not reading Twisted Toyfare Theater
>not reading American Flagg!
>not reading Time2
>not reading Grimjack
>not reading Timothy Truman's Jonah Hex
>not reading Fist of the North Star
>not reading Judge Dredd
>not reading Polar
>not reading Ginger Fox
>not reading Dave Steven's Rocketeer
>not reading Fearless Dawn / The Bomb
>not reading Lawdog
>not reading Alien Legion
>not reading Black Joke
>not reading Memories
>not reading Hotel Harbour View
>not reading US 1
>not reading Largo Winch
>not reading IR$
>not reading Button Man
>not reading Chandler Red Tide
>not reading Julius Corentin Acquefacques, Prisoner of dreams
>not reading Kelvin Mace
>not reading PunX
>not reading The Heckler
>not reading Lone Sloane
>not reading Margot
>not reading I Was A Teenage Tax Consultant
>not reading Flaming Carrot
>not reading Marshal Law
>not reading Winterworld
>not reading normalman
>not reading Megaton Man
>not reading Whisper
>not reading Thrud the Barbarian
>not reading Crusade
>not reading Damocles
>not reading Lady S
>not reading GI Joe A Real American Hero
>not reading Transformers vs GI Joe
>not reading Bad Police
>not reading CYBER Blue
>not reading Hydra
>not reading High Score Girl
>not reading Misappropriation Investigator Nakabo Rintaro
>not reading Aterui II-sei
>not reading Dirty Pair
>not reading Cherry Poptart
>not reading Little Annie Fanny
>not reading Slut Girl
>>
It kind if sucks to be a Cass/Tim shipper. It looked like it was about to happen in Gates of Gotham, but then the New 52 happened, and Convergence decided LOLNOPE it's all about Steph/Tim.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.