[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone actually like season 1 Simpsons?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
Or is it just muh 90's nostalgia?

The animation is weird and terrible, not in a Ren & Stimpy way, just really off model and lazy. And the mood and type of comedy is completely different, which isn't a bad thing necessarily, but with how witty and quotable and high-volume with jokes it would get starting in seasons 2 and 3, I'm surprised there's anyone who cares about/likes the first season.
>>
>>83058218
Go to bed Matt.
>>
>>83058218
I didn't think it was absolutely terrible, just that it wasn't good as later seasons is all
>>
>>83058218
I like it.
>>
I genuinely like it, and while some of that is nostalgia from seeing it a lot as a kid (/co/ would absolutely shit on something like Homer's Odyssey if it aired today because animation errors), I think other parts still hold up.

A lot of the humor feels kind of natural in that while there are some wacky moments and standard sitcom stuff, other jokes just come from "normal" conversations. I like how a few times in that season there'd be different characters making really odd/absurd statements and no one at all seeming to react to them: Bart saying Krusty has "little feet, like all good-hearted people" for example. Later on it feels like there'd be more "isn't that stupid" reaction shots from others to lines like those, or they'd mostly be delivered by Homer. The comedy seemed to call more attention to itself past the first few seasons, which isn't necessarily bad but makes the low-key moments from 1 stand out more.

I think it looks more interesting on a visual level than later episodes, even if obviously some of that is because characters look "wrong." By like season 3/4 or so I don't think I'd pay attention to the animation unless it's deliberately weird, but 1 just looks constantly interesting because it was still experimenting with the look.

I think it's also just interesting to watch that season from the beginning and see how the show/Springfield develops from literally episode to episode. The difference in quality from 1 to 2 is huge, but everything in 2 is built on the foundation 1 established and I find that impressive.

A lot of the reason I like it is because of its relationship to what came later, so it's hard to evaluate it purely on its own merits unless it's 1990 or you've somehow never seen a Simpsons episode (or known anything about the show at all) in your life. I'll even admit there are a few isolated moments/jokes I kind of hate from there, but on the whole I feel positively about it.
>>
>>83060200
Good answer, and dubs. There is justice in the universe.
>>
>>83060200
Out of curiosity, what jokes/moments from S1 do you hate?
>>
>>83060418
Not too specific because I haven't watched in a while, but:

Wasn't big on everyone crying in the Telltale Head about the statue being vandalized. It was this weird middle ground between being done for comedy and expecting you to take it seriously, and so it didn't do either for me. The lynch mob honestly felt more believable (for the characters) and funnier.

Also I've never had a problem with Marge being pissed about Homer for the exotic dancing photo or the photo spreading around town, which most people don't seem to like about that episode. What I do have a problem with is the climax literally involves Princess Kashmir randomly kicking Homer off the cage she's in, which is like 20-30 feet in the air, and him then crashing onto the stage. The whole episode seems pretty down to earth, plot-wise, and then it just goes full cartoon in the last few minutes, to the point that you expect him to be injured instead of just getting back up.

I could probably find individual jokes that I didn't like too, but those gave me the biggest "what the fuck..." reactions the last time I watched.
>>
>>83060691
Yeah, I feel ya. For me it's not that the show is outright bad in the early seasons, but when I'm in the mood to watch "The Simpsons" it's not at all what I'm in the mood for. But I can appreciate what you mean about them developing the characters and the town early on
>>
>>83058218
Yes. It was good.
>>
>>83058218
In my unbiased opinion watching it endlessly on TNT's marathon

Early/Mid 2000s Simpsons>Mid/Late 90s Simpsons>>>Early 90s Simpsons>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Everything after
>>
>>83058218
I love the 1st season

There's something about the way it carries on, very calming, heartfelt, honest
>>
File: grandpa_scream.jpg (51 KB, 1152x720) Image search: [Google]
grandpa_scream.jpg
51 KB, 1152x720
>>83060907
How about 1987-89 Simpsons?
>>
>>83058218
>The animation is weird and terrible, not in a Ren & Stimpy way, just really off model and lazy.
I disagree. Season one, in my opinion, had the best, most human animation of any season. The random animation errors were also pretty funny, even though they were unintentional. It'd be nice if the new Powerpuff Girls had errors that were half as funny as Black Smithers.
>>
>>83064133
Was that actually an error, or just an unfinalized character design?

Cause on the episode where Lisa gets a horse, Ralph sounds wildly different to later episodes
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.