[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we talk about O'Malley and how a shitton of artists
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9
File: 194_7853.jpg (34 KB, 342x403) Image search: [Google]
194_7853.jpg
34 KB, 342x403
Can we talk about O'Malley and how a shitton of artists who grew on the Internet want to imitate him without realizing that he deconstructed the "Hipsters go on reference filled adventures" genre instead of glorifying it?
>>
>>83033509
I think that he just wanted to draw things that he liked.
>>
>>83033544
Uh yeah, OP, I agree with this guy.

What I do like is how people react to the SP characters, they are all (or 95%) of them unlikable hipsters, yet their fanbases treat them like role models or some shit.
>>
>>83033544
Yeah, I'm not saying that he started the comic with the intent of making some kind of metanarrative commentary of course, I'm focusing on how he treated these character archetypes, and made them interesting and funny in a thoughtful way, instead of just going "OMGTHEIR NERDZ WITH NO SOCIAL SKILLZ SO FUNNY" like too many other people do.
>>
File: 1456579780672.jpg (49 KB, 325x355) Image search: [Google]
1456579780672.jpg
49 KB, 325x355
>>83033509
>he deconstructed the "Hipsters go on reference filled adventures" genre instead of glorifying it
I- What?
>>
>>83033810
Nevermind, I half-assed the OP,
I wanted to talk about what i wrote
>>83033789 here, more or less.

Just let this thread die.
>>
File: 1450065243925.jpg (26 KB, 189x503) Image search: [Google]
1450065243925.jpg
26 KB, 189x503
make way for best girl
>>
>>83033650
They feel like real young adults to be honest. Characters don't need to be 100% Saints to e likeble.
>>
File: 323262.png (146 KB, 459x302) Image search: [Google]
323262.png
146 KB, 459x302
>>83033509
>Guy makes a series about hipster stereotypes
>Fills series with game references starting around book 3
>Internet loves it
>Decade later internet thinks that is "deconstructing"

No anon, doing exactly that is not known as deconstructing. He was just posting hipster references.
>>
>>83033509
>he deconstructed the "Hipsters go on reference filled adventures" genre
How so? Because Scott is shown as being imature? That's just a giant thematic rip off of Revolutionary Girl Utena.
>>
>>83034617
Agreed, but the fanbase treats them as likeable.
>>
Honestly wish they went with the later idea of "All the video game stuff was just Scott's imagination dealing with real life issues" instead of just going in deeper with it. It was nonexistent at the beginning of the series.
>>
>>83034709
The funny thing is, they're all based on real people he knew (though in the Bay Area, not Toronto).

Real Scott and Real Knives are actually the founders of Go-Gaia, if anyone remembers that place.
>>
>>83033509
If Scott Pilgrim were a deconstruction, we'd remove the fantasy elements and make him an immature asshole who loses both of his girlfriends permanently while learning how to be a more mature person who leaves childish fantasies and behaviors behind

I think
>>
>>83033509
Someone post the chart showing popular artists changing their art styles to look more like O Malley's after Scott Pilgrm was published. I saw it on /ic/ a while ago but never saved it. Its pretty much the same deal with youtube animators and Egoraptor or The Meek and the origin of the tumblr style. Quite fascinating really.
>>
>>83035041
Deconstruction isn't necessarily about tearing to pieces everything positive about the genre, Watchmen style.

That being said, I chose the wrong term, I wanted to actually talk about characters, and about that

> make Scott an immature asshole who loses both of his girlfriends permanently while learning how to be a more mature person who leaves childish fantasies and behaviors behind

Scott WAS an immature asshole, the entire series was about him (and Ramona) learning to accept mistakes and try to become better.

Also,

>>83034839

I think that by the second half of the series, the fantasies and the videogame-styled world actually became a way for the STORY to explain issues, in a way that was funny and easily understandable, and not a display of immaturity from Scott.
So it sort of implied that in the end, he was going to mature while still keeping the good part of his childishness.
Maybe too optimistic, but who cares.
>>
>>83033509
>he deconstructed the "Hipsters go on reference filled adventures" genre
>>83034363
>Just let this thread die.
Why should it goes so well??

all obscure sub-culture references aside, O'Malley's work just strikes as a guy telling a complex boy-meets-girl relationship story in the language that came most naturally to him.

I think it confuses people because the tone of the work is snarky and a majority of the characters are sarcastic hipster shits, so they think BLoM's being a cheeky fucker but I think it's core story is actually a super sincere coming-of-age story about a douchebag learning how not to be a self-absorbed cunt.

It's far from a deconstruction, the genre didn't really exist until SP. (unless you're comparing SP to webcomic shit like CAD and Megatokyo.)
>>
File: normal_nookie_c.jpg (53 KB, 488x399) Image search: [Google]
normal_nookie_c.jpg
53 KB, 488x399
>>83034867
>Real Scott and Real Knives are actually the founders of Go-Gaia, if anyone remembers that place.
Funny, I remember Mal always insisting Scott was based on a fusion of him and Reyyy...
>>
>>83035909
Scott is Josh (Lock3), Knives is Roseann (Ling) with aspects of a bunch of Long Vo's ex-girlfriends. Wallace is ... I forgot the name. Another member of Studio XD from Singapore who has since gotten a sex change.
>>
File: Luis Guzman in Bad Santa 3.png (174 KB, 277x390) Image search: [Google]
Luis Guzman in Bad Santa 3.png
174 KB, 277x390
>>83033509
>Trying to have an intellectual conversation about Scott Pilgrim

That's cute, OP. You're cute.
>>
>>83035317

That is one weird way to say depressing.
>>
>>83035788
>Why should it goes so well??

I understood that reference
>>
>>83035317
Seconding this request
>>
>>83035788
>the genre didn't really exist until SP.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to counter that statement, but I suspect this isn't true.
>>
>>83033509
you're giving Bryan too much credit.
>>
File: 004coreylewis.jpg (95 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
004coreylewis.jpg
95 KB, 480x720
>>83035909
>Reyyy
like, Corey Lewis? Because I can totally see that.
>>
>>83036196
Saka
>>
>>83036400
>I'm not knowledgeable enough to counter that statement, but I suspect this isn't true.
If you dig deep enough, you might could find some old indy shit that feels similar to Scott Pilgrim, but that whole trendy angsty "20-somethings having wacky adventures while adhering to the unwritten rules of the video-game logic universe in which they live"

yeah, that's pretty much uniquely Scott Pilgrim
>>
Did anyone ever see O'Malley's post about the movie being too white?
>>
>>83037622
I remember seeing something about it a while back but it might have also been like a weird apology post thing because he based characters off people he knew and a lot of people he hung out with happened to be white or something like that.
>>
>>83037682
TOFU was pretty white. Or mostly white, with a few Canadian Chinese. And maybe a FOB or two.
>>
>>83036289
I've had some good ones here on /co/.
>>
>>83034805
yea, those idiot young adults that like other young adults, who needs friends amiright?
>>
>>83036346
>I understood that reference
I understood that reference
>>
>>83035788
this desu
i liked it
>>
>>83035317
Someone post it, faggots
>>
File: 1463456162405.jpg (20 KB, 337x264) Image search: [Google]
1463456162405.jpg
20 KB, 337x264
> tfw you met al your Internet friends on the Scott dot Ning site
>there isn't a single one of us, not even the guy who worked on one of the books, who doesn't look back at SP as super cringe

Feels weird, man. But also sad. SP was so long ago now.
>>
Well fuck this thread.
Now I just bought the complete coloured edition.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.