[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Everybody is going crazy about rebirth, but I'd like to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4
File: 20612390236_b8dec2ce32_o.jpg (408 KB, 640x495) Image search: [Google]
20612390236_b8dec2ce32_o.jpg
408 KB, 640x495
Everybody is going crazy about rebirth, but I'd like to interject and remind everyone that DCYou was still pretty darn good.
>Omega Men
>Prez
>Starfire
>Midnighter
>Robin son of Batman
>Martian Manhunter
I personally liked GordonBats

For most of these, the primary flaw is nothing internal to the text itself, but the fact that all of them have been forced to end early.
>>
Poor J'onn.
I loved reading all of it, but by the time they all get to the old mars, you can just hear the voice over Williams shoulder shouting "speed it up!" Those last 3 issues read like they should have been 5 or even 6.
>>
So what is J'onn's origin now, anyway?
>>
>>83027246
The same.
>>
>>83026829
Good in stories. Terrible in sales.
>>
>>83027327
I thought I heard somewhere they retconned the Martians into being still alive and/or turned him into some kind of soldier or living weapon or some shit?
>>
> Omega Men didn't click with me
> Never read Prez, you got me there
> Starfire was decent
> Don't care about Batman, so gay Batman is definitely out
> Fuck Damian
> Martian Manhunter was just alright

DCYou as a whole felt weaksauce to me. Maybe it's just 'cause Omega Men didn't work for me.
>>
>>83027395
Why do you think I care about incorrect things that you heard from who knows where?
>>
>>83027496
That's not how you have a polite conversation, man.
>>
Rebirth is a great opportunity for me to drop capeshit all together. If stuff like DCyou can't sell capeshit has no hope
>>
>>83027510
Why do you think I want have a polite conversation about Martian Manhunter's comic with someone who hasn't read it?
>>
>>83027462
you're a piece of shit with no taste
>>
>>83027515
this, I gave DC a chance after Nu52 but now they pull off this shit.
Basically the last 5 years of Superman means nothing because he wasn't Superman and he was just a random character they are going to dispose off now.
>>
>>83026829
>No more Prez
>Cries
>>
>>83027537
Why answer the question, if you don't want to talk to me?

Just tell me this: Was there still a Dr. Erdel?
>>
>Marvel gets shit for re-numbering
>DC just straight up reboots the entire universe
>>
MM and American Alien were good, shame they're both over

Swamp Thing was good too but it's still ongoing right?
>>
>>83027771
Swamp Thing is a mini series
>>
>>83027771
>American Alien
>good

Jesus Christ
>>
For anyone yet to read Martian Manhunter here...
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/dc-sneak-peek-martian-manhunter-dc-comics-2015
http://viewcomic.com/martian-manhunter-001-2015-2/
>>
>>83027833
>Muh Landis
Landis is a douche but the series was better than any Superman DC has churned out since early Paktion Comics
>>
>>83027862
It was very mediocre and added nothing new or special. I really don't get the love for it.
>>
>>83027246
>>83027496
He was made by Ma'alefa'ak and the other Martians to be a weapon, because Mars was dying, and when a planet is dying it has a string of natural disasters, but natural disasters on Mars aren't earthquakes, floods, etc. They're giant monsters, so Martian Manhunter was made to fight monsters made by the dying planet. Then one took the form of J'onn's child, which he couldn't fight, so Mars died, all the Martians including Ma'alefa'ak fled, and then J'onn hid on Earth and split himself into 4 different people so Ma'alefa'ak couldn't find him, but Ma'alefa'ak lured his 4 people into a portal which brought Mars back, and destroyed Earth, so they convinced the planet (taking the form of J'onn's son) to let Earth live, so J'onn took all the Martian refugees to Earth, but when he landed, he discovered there were no refugees, and that Mars died a long time ago and he was creating all of the Martians who lived on Mars (sort of like how Will Smith's character sets up mannequins around the city in "I am Legend").
>>
This explains the New 52 MM origin well https://youtu.be/f5cPJHj6M2c
>>
>>83027892
The dialogue was bad, but it had interesting takes on several aspects of Superman's motivations. It's refreshing nowadays to have Superman done right and yet still manage to say something interesting on its own.
>>
>>83027893
You forget he had created Ma'alefa'ak too. It was all in his head, the villain, his allies, martians he was saving. The whole event was a giant delusion.
>>
>>83026829

It's really sad that these books didn't sell. I left my LCS upset when the guy running the place told me he and I were the only guys who had Manhunter and Omega Men on our pull
>>
What is dcyou anyway
>>
>>83028279

A stillbirth
>>
>>83028279
The idea was to just tell good stories and forget about continuity. continuityfags hated it and wouldn't read anything
>>
>>83027558
>dispose off now.
Even Clark said hes gonna come back. Also its not just random, most people think its actually Conner
>>
>>83028468
Man what a shame I I'll have to check it out
>>
>>83027893
>>83028022

I...what?

So...if he was making what you just described up in his head...his real backstory IS or is NOT "Mars-cop's family and race go extinct, then a nice old Earth scientist accidentally teleports him over and he pretends to be a detective for a while"?
>>
>>83028022
>>83027893
>>83028548
I think the ending was affected by rebirth. They couldn't have new martians
>>
>>83028468

And /co/ wonders why Rebirth has happened. Comic fans are going to eat this up. Before Watchmen sold better than this board wants to admit. I don't think a single one of them sold under 40,000, not even the Dollar Bill one-shot
>>
>>83027462
You should kill yourself.
>>83027558
They really shat on Superman for nostalgiafags. Such awesome setup by Morrison and dumbfucks just didn't know what to do.
>>83027576
Second volume is supposed to in October. Caldwell worked on A force for few issues but solicits show he's off by July.
>>83027771
>American Alien
>good
It was a self service title for Landis where 70% of the time he did what Landis wants Superman to do or be, rest 30% was characters being a mouthpiece for Landis.
>>
>>83028548
I THINK the classic backstory is still in place now, yeah.
>>
File: image.jpg (143 KB, 600x576) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
143 KB, 600x576
>no mention of all star section 8
>>
>>83027892
Please, the scene where Clark Kent meets Dick Grayson, spills his secret, and incurs the wrath of DaddyBats was GOAT tier. No-taste-havin-ass.
>>
>>83029174
>second volume in october
yis
>>
File: 1440470663086.jpg (1 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
1440470663086.jpg
1 MB, 1988x3056
Prez was pretty nice.
>>
>>83026829
Did we ever get an answer as to why Martian Manhunter went full retard, attacked the JL, then started team hopping?

inb4 he saw Manhattan
>>
>>83026829
>Not mentioning Grayson
>>
>>83027687
>Reboot
It's like you idiots show up one by one. It's not a reboot, and it never was.
>>
>>83031128
Grayson was pre-DCYou. If it wasn't, it would have only had 12 issues.
>>
File: BjkgpxD.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
BjkgpxD.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>83030690
>talking with her dying father
>a robotic teddy bear appears, offers weed, and then attempts to smother him
>she shoos it away as if it were a mild nuisance

I'm not actually sure what emotion I'm supposed to be feeling here.
>>
>>83031387
It was obviously a misunderstanding, the bear would never smother a patient to death (unless asked).
>>
>>83026829
Starfire sucked with its art being it's main saving grace, and I stopped caring about primary Bat titles a while back, but on the whole I agree with you.
>>
>>83027462

Prez was really fun and depressingly prescient.
>>
>>83028468
You'd think the new demographic of comic buyers would've been there to pick up the ball. Guess not.
>>
>>83027558
>means nothing

Did you enjoy the story? Then it meant something to you.

Comics never stay on a status quo, and its sad how quickly creative teams and plots turn over nowadays, but just saying something was destroyed or doesn't matter just because it's not in continuity anymore is silly.
>>
>>83029447
>we're getting a follow-up Hard-Traveling Heroes miniseries featuring Dogwelder and Six-Pack

I don't know who's doing the drunk sigilling, but keep up the good work.
>>
>>83030718
Anyone?
>>
>>83030631
>he trashed Batman this makes the story good

Jesus you Superman fans are so fucking petty it's absurd
>>
>>83031517

I think it had something to do with him trying to get people ready for the Daemonite shenanigans at the beginning of the New 52, but all of that fell through.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.