[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is XKCD so awful? Do you enjoy what it does? Is art like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: disgusting.png (48 KB, 442x759) Image search: [Google]
disgusting.png
48 KB, 442x759
Why is XKCD so awful? Do you enjoy what it does? Is art like this ever acceptable? If so, is it acceptable when done as the whole project, or only during certain scenes? Is there any hope for science comics?
>>
>Why is xkcd so awful?
The fact that he has consistently updated 3 times a week for years yet only 1/3 of his stuff is any good leads me to believe he doesn't have enough ideas to keep up with his schedule, and tends to use "Look at how smart I am!" when he can't figure out somethinge else.
>Do you enjoy what it does?
Occasionally. Sometimes a joke actually is actually pretty funny, or sometimes a page is interesting and informative. I haven't followed it regularly in a while, though.
>Is art like this ever acceptable? If so, is it acceptable when done as the whole project, or only during certain scenes?
Absolutely. It's simple, but it isn't try to communicate any emotions or ideas visually so it doesn't need to be complicated. Simple art doesn't always mean bad art. The style would look out of place in a narrative-based work, but for something like this it never bothered me.
>Is there any hope for science comics?
I don't think there's any huge barrier preventing good ones for being made, beyond the fact that most people who get into the sciences don't tend to have the social/comedy skills to make a good comic.
>>
>>82997551
I enjoy some of its strips
I hate most of them because it's all "my opinion is right lol people are stupid" like in your pic
Anyway
>art
>>
I prefer SMBC.
>>
>>82997551
>Why is XKCD so awful?

It drank the SJW koolaid.
>>
File: xkcd example.jpg (204 KB, 740x1076) Image search: [Google]
xkcd example.jpg
204 KB, 740x1076
>>82997551
My physics teacher/chemistry teacher/FATHER FIGURE seems to be a big fan because GRAPHS, and I can't tell him I don't like it because he's very NERDy.
/blog

The art is fine for what it is. It's nothing good to look at, but at least it isn't painful like Oatmeal. Most of the joke comics are either boring, stolen, or both. A good number of them, joke or not, are just text with standing stick figures. The one you posted doesn't gain anything from being a comic, for example.
A lot of the informative stuff is either rudimentary or "just for fun" diagrams that mean literally little to anyone unless they're in the field; pic related. I've yet to meet someone else who understood what this was showing, even after explaining it to them, but I've seen plenty of people say it was "so cool". I liked it, at least. I think a few strips are funny. veryone has something clever to say once in awhile; doesn't mean THEY are clever.

The "comics I like" section reveals poor taste, and the Thing Explainer actively hurts me.
>>
>>82998443
It's called growing up. All the '00s webcomic writers have done it. Almost makes me think, since I haven't gone far left and everyone else from that crowd has, that there's something wrong with me for being on the center-left.
>>
>>82998920
If EVERYONE has gone in the same direction, there's probably nothing wrong with straying from that.
Also, you happen to be a webcomic artist?
>>
>>82998443
>>82998920
That's interesting, I was leaning far left in the '00s, now I'm alt-right.
>>
You'd think after that much time he'd learn to draw better simply by accident.

Compare with Nick Gurewitch.
>>
File: tumblr_l34e6k2aSw1qao43ho1_500.png (23 KB, 500x147) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_l34e6k2aSw1qao43ho1_500.png
23 KB, 500x147
>>82997551
I enjoyed the earlier comics, but after a while they really devolved from actually clever stuff to stuff that's either references to something nerdy or just random crap. Pic related.

The XKCDs that are actually clever are few and far between.
>>
>>82999152
>>82998920

Many people have, since 10 years ago it was the right-wing who were the moralist, self-righteous censorious hypocrites.

Now that it's the left-wing that's taken over that behavior, and made it clear that anyone who didn't fall in line wasn't welcome, we've all collectively shifted right.

That, or the world collectively shifted left while we stayed where we were.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.