[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Transitioning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
I'm an Ultimate-babby and have only read Ultimate universe stuff, but I guess I should cross over to normal universe now.

Spiderman seems easy enough since I'll just read Amazing Spider-Man from the start since I heard that's supposed to be good for a long time, but X-Men seems a lot more confusing since there seems to be like 10 different series like Uncanny and all that stuff, how do I go through that?

Also I'm assuming there's stuff like Ultimatum where everything crosses over, can I just follow the Spider-Man and/or X-Men comics through those or will I have to read them too?
>>
>>82953500
Comics only got good in the 80s, don't bother with that grandpa shit.
>>
>>82953585
So where should I start with Spider_man or X-Men then? Won't I miss backstory?
>>
>>82953640
Don't get hung up on back story. If you know the broad strokes of a character's origin, you should be fine. Use google, look up recommended runs of a character that interests you.
>>
>>82953585
Don't listen to this fag.
>>
>>82954126
Well are they good or not? I read in the Spiderman thread that everything was pretty good until the 90s so early stuff should be okay to read right?

>>82953733
Well the only guy I know I liked was Bendis because he did Ultimate Spider-Man didn't he, but you guys all seem to hate him for some reason so idk if I'll like what you guys liked
>>
File: 1462079771940.gif (842 KB, 500x540) Image search: [Google]
1462079771940.gif
842 KB, 500x540
>>82953500
>I guess I should cross over to normal universe now.
Damn good choice you've made, son.
>>
X-Men isn't as bad as you think, just Uncanny X-Men from Giant Size 1, Uncanny 94, and read on.
>>
>>82957606
This. By the time you hit all the minis and spin offs you'll be much more acquainted with things and it will be simple. You should be able to go from 1975 to 1991 fairly easily
>>
You can do that, but eventually he has 4 or 5 ongoing books in the 80s and you'd have to look up a guide
Around 120 or so is when the first one starts

I'd recommend just reading stories by whatever writer/villains interrest you most
>>
>>82955162
Read Bendis Daredevil. That and Ult Spider-Man are pretty much the best things he's written.
>>
>>82955162
Honestly, try to read some early stuff and see if the dialogue/style is OK to you. If not, just skip it all until the 80s/90s. A lot of new readers' problems with the older comics is that they write in this verbose, old timey style (this isn't true for every comic, of course, but enough of them). I also recommend this for Claremont X-Men comics. His run defines the X-Men most people know, but he has this WALL OF TEXT writing style and his characters speak in a way that is more like people write not speak. So if his writing gets tiring or doesn't grab you then I'd say to just skip his early X-Men stuff.
>>
>>82953500

Ignore every other moron and troll in this thread

Like you said Spider-Man is great from the start. Amazing Spider-Man 1-38 + the 2 annuals is Steve Ditko's run and is the best Spider-Man will ever be. But it continues being great with the Romita run after so just read Amazing Spider-Man from the start.

The original X-Men comic was a bit of a creative and financial failure. Some of the early stuff is solid but I wouldn't recommend starting there. The series was relaunched with Giant-Size X-Men 1 and then it's back with X-Men 94 onwards. This is the series most people are familiar with and where everyone starts.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.