[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
unsounded
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 19
Time to fly
>>
Damn, I hope Elan's alright.
>>
>>82945951
Ashley originally didn't intend for him to stick around so long, he would've been killed by chapter 9 or 10 at the latest. He is already on borrowed time.
>>
don't die heart problems negro :(
>>
>>82946028
>Ashley originally didn't intend for him to stick around so long, he would've been killed by chapter 9 or 10 at the latest. He is already on borrowed time.
But then she incorporated him more into the plot, right? So he might escape unscathed.
>>
>>82945886
What's with all the Plats?
>>
>>82946028
>>82946172
>borrowed time from black tongues with his heart
>borrowed time from Ashley
That's two strikes. Best he can do is die heroically and make something of hisself.
>>
>>82945886
That wright's got the red finger glove things. What's that called again?
>>
>>82946317
thorns I believe
>>
File: 5841931782307059688.jpg (601 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
5841931782307059688.jpg
601 KB, 1000x1500
here's the bigger version
>>
>>82946193
Is the wright a plat? We can only see his ears but those look kind of dark. I think he's just a Crescian with white hair.
>>
>>82945886
what's happening in the last panel exactly? he's taking the solidness from the bricks or something?
>>
>>82946347
It's a joke, half the time the Niggers guy posts there's not even a Crescian on screen
>>
>>82946341
Yeah that. Thanks.

>>82946355
Looks like it. I hope Toma and his dog don't fall on one of them posts.
>>
>finally finds some self-worth thanks to toma's bro-tier belief in him
>his redemption kills him
Shit sucks but could be worse.
>>
>>82946317
The Thorns, given specifically to combat-casting wrights who can weave seriously deadly/complicated spells in the span of a few seconds.

>>82945886
Either he expects this to be the last time he sees Elka, pinning his self-worth on how serviceable he was to someone else's interests, or he's attempting to curry an unsavory, black tongue-related favor from Elka by appearing needy and vulnerable. Either way, that's pretty girly of him.

The first possibility also makes me feel even worse for poor heart-problems negro, and how shitty his life must have been to think like that.
>>
>>82946317
Nah, the thorns have the forefinger, pinkie and thumb coloured red. More importantly, it's an Aldish thing, denotes membership of some kinda honourary knightly order that only class A wrights can get into. This is guy might be a member of a Crescian equivalent, though.

Interesting side fact: Aldish wrights wear gloves like other fantasy wizards wear hats and it's considering extremely uncouth to go gloveless if you're a wright. Quigley doesn't wear gloves because he's raging against society!
>>
>>82946433
I guessed, it just made me wonder if I was missing something about the wright
>>
>>82946661
So wait, do you have to take the gloves off to cast? Or can the gloves help you cast similar to how Quigley has his fancy glasses? Or is it purely fashion?
>>
>>82946830
They're just gloves.
>>
>>82946830
It's polite in Alderode for wright to wear gloves at all times. Quigs doesn't, because he's mad at society.
>>
>>82946608
>pinning his self-worth on how serviceable he was to someone else's interests
That's a cynical way to frame it. He'd sold his soul to gangsters in his own self-interest and played an active role in fucking the city big time. It made him feel like a piece of shit because he WAS a piece of shit, but it wasn't because of his condition. It was only when he worked to correct his mistakes in spite of his condition that he started feeling like less of a piece of shit. It wasn't just someone else's interests. He needed that for himself.
>>
>>82947731
Nicely put.
>>
>>82947661

Truly Quigs is the cast's upset emo teen. He should go listen to Linkinpark.
>>
File: Smug Ashley.jpg (25 KB, 575x432) Image search: [Google]
Smug Ashley.jpg
25 KB, 575x432
>>82945951
>>82946028
>>82946172
>>
>>82947731
It's a whole Crescian thing to be useful to society tho

Remember they are commies
>>
>>82950585
Useful to society for a purpose. It's Toma that really fucks with Elan IMO: Toma just has this instant belief in others and (apparently) rock-solid self-belief. I mean I'd need to go back and re-read the page but Toma outright tells Elan he's worth something and he can do something, doesn't he? Elan really started to believe that.
>>
I don't like this cliffhanger. The Peaceguard are some of my favourites.

Weirdly I did think they would all die upon their first appearance but (much like Mikaila) reading through their story made me not want that to happen.
>>
>>82946661
Ashley confirmed he is the Crescian equivalent on the ask page. Which is kind of worrying: this really isn't a fight Elka & co can win. Toma's down, Elka's fucked up, Elan is Elan (and dying). Versus two mounted Peaceguards and a world class combat wright?

Elan could burn himself as a distraction and maybe they could bail on the dog. But their enemies also know where they're going now. And they're going to hit the ground hard besides.

My only reassurance is the wright could probably have just iced them here so they might not need or be wanted to be dead yet.
>>
File: 1430371822230.jpg (22 KB, 534x359) Image search: [Google]
1430371822230.jpg
22 KB, 534x359
>go back to reread a bit
>Lady Illganyag keeps yelling "malakhomit" at Sette
>Duane says it means "run away"
SHE'S USING IT AS A NOUN, NOT A VERB
>>
>>82951659
You saying she can smell magic because she IS magic?
>>
This is pretty girly.
>>
File: 1439798083966.png (120 KB, 277x339) Image search: [Google]
1439798083966.png
120 KB, 277x339
>>82952044
I think you're pretty girly.

I would love to cuddle up next to you and have you rest your head on my chest while I gently caress you.
>>
>>82951659
Isn't the noun "runaway," well, one word?
>>
>>82946608
>he's attempting to curry an unsavory, black tongue-related favor from Elka by appearing needy and vulnerable
That would be an incredibly out of nowhere character turn. Everything about Elan has been about how much of filthy, self serving coward he is and, as >>82947731 put it, how much of a piece of shit it made him.

He just desperately wants someone as cool as Elka and Toma to tell him his life mattered and that he did something good.
>>
This any good?

I gave up around the time the weird cartoony giant showed up.

Comic seemed to be cribbing from the /v/ line of thinking that you have to bend over backwards to make your fantasy as un-boilerplate as it can get which kind of made it feel disjointed to me.
>>
Damn, at least Elan will go out doing something good.
>>
>>82953677
>/v/ line of thinking
I would hardly call that a /v/ exclusive line of thinking. It infects a lot of creators who have more imagination than sense.

I wouldn't say Unsounded is that. Although it's yet to appear in the comic itself yet, as people have criticized in the past, the world's got a solid background to its fantastical elements. We've gotten a healthy dose of what's going on behind the scenes recently, so I doubt more will not be forthcoming.

The magic has consistent rules that are adding up to crazy shit we see. Matter has traits stored in program like variables. By moving those around, you can do magic. Pretty much everything stems from there. So far we've gotten explanations for what goes on with the stuff that doesn't follow those basic rules (first materials, khert mutations, and so on). The basic mystery, what the fuck is going on Duane and a number of other mysteries of the world, clearly have some sort of logical answer within the physics of the world. There's plenty to dig into on the wiki and still spread out through the Q&A's. Though, again, it's not all in the comic yet, so I understand why people have problems with it.

The author has said it's still the kind of story that places narrative over making super, autistically thought out magic science, but there's real meat to what's going on with the magic. If it didn't particularly grab your interest back then, though, I'm not sure it would now. I find it pretty good, easily on par with published comics and probably the best serial fantasy fiction online, if not just flat out the best serial fiction online.
>>
File: ymU48Db.gif (719 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
ymU48Db.gif
719 KB, 480x320
>>82953786
Alright, I'll pick it up back and recommend it to some friends. Thanks.

Also
>Duane
I'm gonna need a version of this with him someday
>>
>>82946344
>>82945886
>That outfit

It's the assassino
>>
>>82953638
well it's possible that Sette may have left something out of the pronunciation, or Duane didn't understand the proper context when translating. It's a game of telephone.
>>
>>82953677
Are you one of those faggots who think everything should be like Tolkien/D&D/WoW?
>>
>>82953981
Nah, I just wasn't liking what I was seeing at the time.

Also WoW isn't really boilerplate fantasy but it does come off that way having been exposed to it for so long.
>>
>>82954036
That's kind of my point.

Tolkien is the "boilerplate fantasy" or one generation, D&D of another, and WoW of the current generation. All three were almost entirely based on existing material and did their own thing with it, and their popularity made them a sort of golden standard in the eyes of the unwashed masses.

WoW might do its own thing here and there, but it relies 100% on the standards defined by its predecessors, and in turn perpetuates those in our cultural consciousness. It just serves to perpetuate the ridiculous idea that fantasy is just a predefined set of tropes to play with.
>>
>>82953981
Anon has a bit of point.

I really like (most of) the Stormlight Archives, but goddamn does Sanderson just fucking love his pointlessly and incongruously weird shit. Sometimes it works, mostly when it's just people being kind of weird, but when it comes to the magic it mostly just feels like it's got no point other than to be weird.

And that's a competent author. There have been plenty of amateur creators who don't understand how to properly create something and end up just haphazardly making something "different" without bothering to put the effort into making it make sense within itself. For all the good and evil Tolkien has done for fantasy as a genre, the dude MADE a world. He made it so well people basically have been beholden to it for a century. Different isn't bad, and I honestly love different things and tend to give them a bit too much slack, but it has to have a point in it of itself, and not just be different than the standard.

I should probably give China Melville's stuff a try. It seemed a bit grim for my tastes, but I did like Dial H.
>>
>>82954206
There's a big difference between complaining that a fantasy world lacks internal consistency and complaining that a fantasy world isn't generic enough.

The former is perfectly valid criticism. The latter is retarded.
>>
>>82945886
For some reason the dog mounts are looking increasingly creepy to me
>>
File: all_star_superman.jpg (473 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
all_star_superman.jpg
473 KB, 1024x768
>>82951162
He's a superman. He has faith in you because the idea you, that anyone, isn't trying to be their best is just alien to him.
I swear if we get some twist where Toma turns into an asshole I'm dropping this comic
>>
>>82954206
Maybe it'll work for you, but I think China Mieville is a hack. He's exactly the type of writer who does weird shit for its own sake, except he inserts his politics into it, too. And he's not just conservative or liberal, oh no, this nigger is full-on communist.

So you end up with a communist manifesto set in a pointlessly weird Fantasy world that never actually gets into its own lore in any meaningful way. And the author himself is a complete ass who has referred to Tolkien as "the wen on Fantasy literature's ass". Yeah, that's exactly the sort of edgy, masturbatory opinion of a mediocre dilettante who isn't half as good as he thinks he is.

Dial H looks interesting, though. But I fear I'll never touch it because it has that name attached to it. I'll certainly never BUY it.
>>
>>82954735
I doubt he'll be an asshole. He and Duane are basically studies in how shitty societies produce good men. Good men who are nevertheless loyal to those shitty societies.

When Duane was alive, he was basically Alderode's Toma (with a wife who wasn't a huge bitch). A lowly dude who managed to become a big shot through his own skill and some grace. While they're good men at heart and will go out of their way to help people in ways their society says probably shouldn't be done, they're still totally loyal party members, though and through. Never once does Duane blame Alderode for all the shit thrown his way. Nor does Toma for the slightly smaller, but still somewhat substantial, amount thrown at him.

Duane's easily more of an asshole than Toma. While he tends to be better at person to person interaction, his chauvinism and xenophobia doesn't do him many favors overall. Toma is basically good cop all the time and hasn't been shown to have any real personal hangups so far. At least when it comes to people. We'll have to see if Toma's Party line toeing ends up causing any problems for the people he meets, though. It sort of looks like he and his group will be outlaws, considering the conspiracy, so that might for him to make some tough choices.
>>
>>82955152
>He and Duane are basically studies in how shitty societies produce good men.
>Cresce
>shitty
seems fuckin' great to me
>>
Webcomic artists will NEVER FUCKING LEARN how to do good action sequences. Never ever. Same as with the opossum one, every action scene is a fucking mess that clearly worked in the artists head, not on paper. You can never tell what's going on due to exceptionally poor page design.

Like this one, is a sandstorm flying out of a bridge and into a guy's hand? What is with the transparent dog and crates? If the sandstorm is coming FROM the guy's hand and moving towards the people on the bridge, then why does the railing fall outwards?

It's so messed up that they are competent enough to draw decently proportioned characters and backgrounds, but the moment they try to do a big sequence with several things moving it plummets to CWC and I'M SAD! levels of quality, just like here. Please don't defend it with muh style either, this shit is bad and no amount of funny alt text is going to redeem that.
>>
>>82955212
It's no Alderode, that's for sure. But you got brothels who will send their workers to factories if they don't make unrealistic quotas. And despite its supposed values of equality, it's becoming clear the royalty just sort of does whatever it wants, usually involving handsome men. It's apparently bad enough that higher ups in the military are going to send a pain bomb into their own country so they can pull some sort of military takeover.

The truth is, we've seen little of Cresce in comparison to Alderode. I have little doubt it's better at the whole "not being an insane asylum whose basic reality operating system is literally working weird" than Alderode, but this isn't the sort of comic where one country is just super awesome and totally not fucked up at all and the other are a bunch of crazy racists. We've been getting a bit of how Cresce's basic working philosophy causes problems for the little guy recently, and as we move into the country proper, I'm sure we'll get more.
>>
>>82955262
It's hard to believe people can have opinions this stupid, and yet be so incredibly sure of them.

Shit nigger, this hinges on the setting's magic system. But you don't know shit about that, since you haven't actually read the comic. You literally don't even know what you're talking about.

No, seriously, this is the dumbest comment I've read all day.
>>
File: 10_149hd.jpg (484 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
10_149hd.jpg
484 KB, 1000x1500
>>82955262
I have noticed that some of the action sequences are clearer in the printed books when seen as two page spreads.

And some of the action sequences are just great. Like dagger-in-the-balls great.
>>
>>82955262
While I agree unsound has problems with it's action scenes, this one makes perfect sense if you're aware of how their magic works. The wright is taking the solidity aspect from the bridge, and the transparency shows what is falling through. he's making a swiping motion and the effect is following the motion of his arm, not shooting out from it. The the color of his pymary is just his personal color; every wright has a different color for their magic. Sandy might have been a poor choice, but not terribly confusing if you've been following the comic.

The page is flawed though in that it could've been made clearer by having a panel just before the last highlighting the wright's attention/casting towards the bridge. I was so blindsided by the abrupt change in action I had to do a double take. The page sets up your expectation to see Elka respond or see something happen to Elan in the next panel, but then suddenly WRIGHT OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE.
>>
>>82955262
>the group who was previously standing firmly on a flat surface are now clearly swept of their feet and falling through the ground towards white-hair-red-finger-gloves-wright, along with some of the other shit standing on that same flat surface
>what is going on this artist can't make action scenes!
???
anyone with eyes can make out what's going on

and what's this with comparing fucking unsounded to chris chandler and goblinscomic?
i mean it ain't perfect but it clearly aint a chaotic mess of storytelling and shitty art that those two are either.
you retarded or something? is this your first time giving critique on something and you don't know what the fuck you're doing?
>>
>>82955262
>guaranteed replies
>>
File: ch10_105.jpg (274 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
ch10_105.jpg
274 KB, 600x900
>>82955470
I think the blindsiding is intentional. It's basically just a fancier version of all the other mundane ways for a group to be surprised at the end of a page. The most obvious example would be if they were standing on a platform and the last panel was them all tumbling down as someone knocked out a leg.

That said, yeah, some pages have had there problems. I seem to recall even Ashley made some mention of the flow of action on this page being less than stellar.
>>
>>82955451
I thought this one was flawed too in that the switching daggers part was a bit confusing. You don't quite get the impression starfish caught her arm as she reached for the flung dagger; the perspective and lack of motion makes it seem like he was holding her arm the whole time. Then when she reaches for the hidden dagger in her sleeve, again the lack of perspective shift throws you off. Your eye, like Starfish's, is tracking the flung dagger so you barely notice her hidden one. The small size of the panels doesn't help either. It's just crammed in the corner like you're not supposed to be paying much attention to them. It might've served better to enlarge the fourth panel and focus more on her reaching for the flung dagger, move the fifth panel of her pulling out the hidden one to where the sixth is, and just move directly to the balls stab.
>>
>>82955373
>>82955514
If an artist can't make it clear what is happening without new readers needing an explanation, then it's a very badly drawn action sequence.
Don't cry like a bitch about "you need to know it's a special kind of magic", that just means the artist is doing a piss-poor job of showing how said magic works and what it is. It looks like a failed attempt at throwing the horse-sized dog.

You're free to get mad as fuck that something you love is being criticised, but it doesn't excuse the poor skills and execution of the artist.
Hope whoever draws it keeps practising.
>>
>>82955569
I'd have thought that was obvious from comparing it to CWC and Trolls. But here we are anyway.

Unsounded has had it too easy ever since "What's with all the Niggers" got absorbed into the zeitgeist of the threads. The anons and fans got soft. It didn't take much for a troll to rile everyone up a few days back, and now there's blood in the water.
>>
>>82955631
Hyperbole much, cunt?
>>
>>82955581
If blindsiding the reader too was the aim, I think that last panel would be better placed at the beginning of the next page. I guess cause it's a webcomic Ashley felt like the reader needed to see it happen all on one page or else they might be thrown off by the total change of pace in the next.
>>
>>82955631
>Every page of this comic I haven't read and have no interest in reading has to be crystal clear without any context whatsoever otherwise it sucks
>>
>>82955581
Yeah this one threw me off for a while. I had to reread the page like three times to figure out what the fuck was happening
>>
>>82955631
Nigga you can see exactly what is going on. Something is being pulled out of ten bridge, allowing the people on it to fall through.

No amount of drawing will explain the idea of solidity aspects if you haven't read the comic. But you can easily tell what's going on.
>>
>>82955623
Have to agree to disagree. The smaller panels imply the quickness of the motion and they lead into one another really clearly. We are supposed to be initially distracted with the fat knife, just like Starfish, and then *BOOM* right in the nuts.
>>
>>82955705
Looks like the guy picked up one of the dogs surrounding him and hurled it at the bridge by swinging it, ending his throw with his hand open and turned away. Which is only helped by the stance of the thrower.
Maybe if he had his hand towards the things happening it wouldn't look like such a clusterfuck.
>>
>poppy_opossum_dragon_fight.jpeg
>>
>>82955780
I don't think the reader should be seeing it from the character's perspective. We need to see how things are playing out or else we're confused, like the character would be. You don't want to confuse your readers. You want them to have that second of anticipation, to have the chance to go "oh shit he gonna get shanked"
>>
>>82955861
And we did, with the sleeve shot?
>>
>>82955631
i wasn't talking about needing to read the comic to understand what is going on numbnuts, i said you can clearly see what the artist was trying to convey, and you're kinda stupid for not seeing it.

then i called you retarded because you compaired it to chris chandler's abortion of a comic of all things.

no one's angry, i just think you're stupid as fuck.
feel free to call me butthurt in response to this, because clearly only butthurt people will take the time to call someone who's being retarded a retard.
>>
>>82955878
see my argument in >>82955623
Our attention was (I guess purposefully?) diverted.
>>
>>82955887
>i just think you're stupid as fuck.
Rest assured, the feeling is completely mutual, you stupid fuck.
>>
>>82955782
?
which fucking dog is he supposed to be throwing?
the one standing next to him apparantly oblivious to what is happening?
the one running away from the mayhem?
or the one that was with captain toma and elka and also falling through the goddamn floor?

explain it to me, i'm having trouble trying to figure out your interpretation of the panel.
>>
>>82955958
If you gaze long into the 'tard, the 'tard will also gaze into you.
>>
>>82955928
is that it?
you just came here to say you didn't understand what was going on in the page and when people pointed out you clearly could and you're stupid for not seeing it. and in response you just gonna go "y-you're all stupid too!"?
>>
>>82955958
I think he means the one Toma is on. It does kinda look like that if you ignore the pymary effect, and if you don't realize that falling group are the MCs
>>
>>82955911
Yes, but unlike Starfish we did the "that second of anticipation" which you mentioned.
>>
>>82956014
Mainly I came to voice an opinion based on a very common tendency in webcomics, you blowing your lid like a five-year old because you can't handle criticism is just an entertaining bonus.
Good luck with your comic.
>>
>>82956034
Well I personally didn't notice the hidden dagger on the first take. I was focused on the falling dagger so the next panel caught me by surprise.
>>
>>82956014
No
He came here to baitpost and you're giving him all of the attention he wants
>>
>>82956055
you still seem under the impression i'm angry.

and you still havent managed to get a proper retort in that wasn't an insult or repeating your initial point. you know, the one we called out as stupid.
you really are dumb as shit.
and now you're pretending you're not buttflustered yourself on top of it.
>>
>>82956055
Everything you say sounds like Comicbook Guy. It is hilarious.

"I came her to voice an opinion! WILL THEY NEVER FUCKING LEARN! Good luck with *your* comic. You can't handle criticism."
>>
>>82955631
Nigger, YOU are getting mad about a comic you don't even read. Your "criticism" was infantile and only really shows that you don't know the first thing about this comic and comics in general. It's your typical "this is bad, but I'm not going to tell you why" edgy /ic/ criticism. Maybe throw a Loomis reference in there to round it out, just sayin'.

In the end, you're the sad cunt sitting here being angry at comics instead of enjoying them. You've already lost. Not at criticism, but at enjoying yourself. Stay bitter, stay edgy.
>>
>>82955581
I think Ashley is just awful at perspective in combat and portraying the direction of motion. That second panel is just two lines and "WAH!" to give you any hint which way Duane was flung, or if he was flung at all. then the teleport thing just comes off as a beam of light, not really telling you what just happened cause you're seeing it from the monster's perspective.
>>
>>82956231
Whatever impression you get from his posts is a ruse to get replies. Responding with a riled up rebuttal is what he wants.
>>
>>82955451
Why's Starfish called that? What about him is Starfish-like?
>>
>>82956231
>you're the sad cunt sitting here being angry at comics instead of enjoying them
Not that anon, but I've noticed that the Unsounded fandom tends to be extraordinarily volatile and defensive of the comic. Everyone who criticises it in any way is instantly very aggressively told the only reason they find anything wrong with the comic is because they're too dumb to get the intricate layers of storytelling or appreciate the art, and are objectively wrong and also a fucking and idiot loser cunt for not just shutting up and enjoying it.

Most other fandoms I've seen are either able to accept that the thing they love has flaws, or at least blow critique off with the "yeah, well, that's just your opinion, personally I like it, no need to get angry", but Unsounded fans seem to be bursting with really exceptional condescending vitriol. What's up with that?
>>
>>82956388
His *other* honor.
>>
>>82956491
There is critique and discussion in this very thread,

But a dumbass is always going to get shot down in flames, and go down loud.
>>
>>82956491

Well at least as far as I can see, it's more like the Unsounded fandom is a lot quicker to jump on criticism that they perceive as uninformed. Even in this thread, there's criticisms to the comic as a whole that are met reasonably, but then the one that explicitly relies on having no knowledge of context is the one being attacked. Etc
>>
>>82956491
We are pretty defensive, which is probably why half the responses to obvious bait are so riled up. A comic author posts a couple times on here and suddenly we're smitten like grade-schoolers and can't tolerate even the suggestion of imperfection. But like >>82956587 says, there's some actual critique going on mostly from me
>>
>>82956664
Why attack though? It's clearly purposeful trolling so why not just ignore? At most I'd expect a couple of bait.jpg responses, but not full blown rants like >>82956231. Anons seem especially sensitive to clear baitng in these threads.
>>
>>82956746

That, I have yet to figure out. But I'm sure if we can get a few more girly niggers with poorly conveyed motion, by god, I can understand.
>>
>>82956491
>Not that anon, but I've noticed that the Unsounded fandom tends to be extraordinarily volatile and defensive of the comic.

Every fandom is. I love Star Trek. Have you seen what Star Trek fans says about the movies they don't consider up to scratch? Or how they take long, unrepentent shits on characters that honestly don't really deserve it?

Or the Star Wars fandom, which reads shit into the movies that was never even there? The sort of hate that launches a site like stardestroyer.net which is based entirely on bogus energy charts in order to prove that their franchise can beat up yours, because they both have "star" in the title?

Fans suck. This is nothing new, and it's nothing special. The word "fan" itself is short for "fanatic", which should really tell you all you need to know.

The fact of the matter is, this dude's comments were dumb as fuck in ANY setting. And I've seen it before. Like I said, it's the typical high and might "this sucks but I'm not going to tell you why". It's not a critique, it's an insult only very casually disguised as one.

The mark of proper critique is pointing out in understandable terms what is wrong, and how it could be improved. Simply saying "this is bad" is not critique, but merely an opinion. Stating an opinion as fact, well, that's just stupid.
>>
>>82956587
But it's something I've noticed over a couple of years. I've seen a lot of fans from different fandoms get told the thing they like is shit for various reasons and in varying degrees of shitposting, and while it's true that a certain amount of "fuck you too" responses are always around, it really appears that the Unsounded fandom is consistently in a class of its own when it comes to being angrily defensive and countering almost everything with "the comic is perfect it's you who are wrong, you're just not patrician enough to truly get it, you fucking moron" type vitriol. It's sort of interesting.

I've also sometimes seen Unsounded fans aggressively butt in in talks about other comics, like if someone mentions a comic they like, there can be people going "lmao that comic is utter crap and only retards like it, it's sad that lowbrow shit like that which panders to the lowest common denominator has a wide audience while truly exceptional and masterful comics, like Unsounded, are ignored, but it's just because people are too stupid to get them". I really don't remember seeing that sort of attitude from any other fandom, usually it's "oh hey I like this thing you should check it out, it's similar to that thing you like" or maybe "I've never liked that thing and personally find it a bit (x), I prefer (comic)". But this sort of condescending aggression that seems very often linked to Unsounded fans is rare.

I wonder what's causing it? Is the Unsounded fandom somehow more under fire than other webcomic fandoms, since aggression tends to breed hostile defensiveness?
>>
>>82957053
You should talk to Jojo fans sometime. That fandom is a disease.
>>
>>82957053
>while truly exceptional and masterful comics, like Unsounded, are ignored, but it's just because people are too stupid to get them"

I've seen this same shit from Dresden Codak fans, though. And from Hark! A Vagrant! fans. Fans who think they're smarter than anyone else for liking something are just pure cancer.
>>
>>82957053
Can't say I've seen it, especially the butting in thing. Maybe I don't hang out in the right places.

But honestly, what you say about hostile defensiveness and condescending aggression is basically comics talk in a nutshell.

However my dislike of it in general is not going to prevent me laughing at an idiot in particular.
>>
>>82955309

At least it's not Sharteshane
>>
>>82955451

Remember that one anon who was absolutely FURIOUS Ashley had Sette stab him in the nuts? Because it was "such a cliche?"
>>
>>82953677
The weird cartoony giant teams up with the black kid for one of the best heroic moments in the whole thing IMO.
>>
I'm definitely weak at action, but I give it my best. I think every webcomic has a weakness, and that's why it has to be a webcomic. If there wasn't something holding the creator back, they'd be signed on with a proper publisher.

But yeah, action's hard. I try to spend extra time on laying it out, but I still have to get three pages out every week, so I can't let perfectionism defeat me. Mistakes happen.

I did think today's page was clear enough, but what do I know? I am only a stupid webcomic artist. I appreciate anyone who can look past my flaws and enjoy the story anyway.
>>
>>82958041
I don't, but a winning strategy is a winning strategy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WUcKgOav0c
>>
>>82954819
Dial H is really, really good. I'm not a huge Mieville fan but Embassytown is also very good. Politically Mieville bothers me less than he does you (no political author bothers me too much) but to anyone I'd recommend those two things.

I'd quite happily throw Tolkien's work into the fire forever though so YMMV.
>>
>>82955262
Not every action scene in Unsounded is good but this one has no problems in the context of the comic and the ones that are good tend to be really, really good.
>>
>>82956860

>Or the Star Wars fandom, which reads shit into the movies that was never even there?

Oh god don't even get me started on the endless psychoanalysis of Finn, Poe, and Rey showing up on tumblr and elsewhere. Apparently Rey is a mama bear hoarder constantly trying to provide for Finn who she looks at with maternal/protective instincts, Poe is gay for both of them and the father figure good at resolving conflicts, and Finn is a "cinnamon bun," whatever the fuck that means.

I swear, you search for "star wars porn" JUST ONCE...
>>
>>82958201
Please don't post as apologetically as this on 4chan. This is my criticism.
>>
>>82958201

>LameAshley is now GirlyAshley

Oh you sly motherfucker

Some of your action works, some of it doesn't. At least you're honest about your faults and continue to try and improve.
>>
File: ch10_06.jpg (268 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
ch10_06.jpg
268 KB, 600x900
I didn't dislike this action sequence.
>>
File: ch10_07.jpg (276 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
ch10_07.jpg
276 KB, 600x900
>>
File: ch10_08.jpg (267 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
ch10_08.jpg
267 KB, 600x900
>>
File: ch10_09.jpg (265 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
ch10_09.jpg
265 KB, 600x900
Knock-Me-Down's weapon was shown previously, so I don't think this is a leap in panel 2 in terms of sequence. Pantoffel comes out of nowhere, but that plays into the sequence and seems intentional. Pantoffel came out of nowhere for Anadyne, too.
>>
time to die

>Never drop your guard. (This is all-time best pun of my life.)
>>
File: ch10_10.jpg (286 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
ch10_10.jpg
286 KB, 600x900
>>
>>82958527
Ah. The Saotome Family Secret Technique.
>>
File: ch10_11.jpg (255 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
ch10_11.jpg
255 KB, 600x900
This all works in the context of how magic and Ana have been shown in the comic so far. Do I accept each action sequence should be fully accessible to a complete newcomer? No, that's ridiculous.

We got it out of the way already, let us never return to the dark expository days of Quigley throwing down with Duane (which I'm actually more okay with now in the context of who Matty is and his background: there was character stuff there I didn't see at first).

Weakest part of the sequence is maybe the last panel here. It takes a moment to see the zoom out and the second-to-last panel zoom isn't as clear because Toma is in motion too. This seems like an attempt to finish all the action on this page.
>>
File: ch09_66.jpg (275 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
ch09_66.jpg
275 KB, 600x900
I'm also quite fond of the scene that precedes this one - not directly, but pretty closely. Is it a coincidence that both of these sequences feature the Peaceguard? Who knows?
>>
>>82958201
>If there wasn't something holding the creator back, they'd be signed on with a proper publisher.

Eh, I stand by my claim that I've seen absolutely insane mistakes in critically acclaimed comics. Anatomy, perspective, mechanics, you name it. In one of the first few pages of Transmetropolitan it looks like Spider is driving down a sheer cliff, for instance.

I'm no expert on action sequences, though. But I do know they're insanely hard. It's even hard to explain what I really like about a good action sequence. I mean, you have to convey weight, motion, intent, everything. But how? That's a lot to explain.
>>
File: ch09_67.jpg (307 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
ch09_67.jpg
307 KB, 600x900
>>82958650
Uh, by "this one" I mean the one starting here >>82958477 and ending here >>82958595

This is how I love to see magic in this comic. I sometimes wonder if the khert 'lines' were invented just to have an excuse to visually depict lines to inform the reader.
>>
>>82955623
I think you might just be retarded. Her arm is very clearly free at first, you can see her pulling out the smaller dagger and clearly see starfish moving to grab her arm.
>>
>>82958217
I'm no Tolkien fan, but it's hard to deny the fact that it was massively influential and in itself a quality work. Certainly, I consider it better than what I've read of Mieville.

One of these days, I'll look at Dial H. The concept intrigues me. But I'll never again read a Mieville book. It's not just the politics I dislike, it's the entire, rambling style, the style over substance worldbuilding. It's just not my thing, which is disappointing, because it really sounded like my thing from the descriptions.
>>
File: ch09_68.jpg (301 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
ch09_68.jpg
301 KB, 600x900
Major points on this page for SHE RIPPED THAT GUY'S GODDAMN FACE OFF.

This is actually a good character moment for Elka but it won't be clear to a reader without context (do you get why "a new reader should instantly understand" is a dumb criticism yet?)

Points lost on this page for the last panel - I think this is intended to highlight the blade and cut? But it feels weak, and looks boring. I think back to the incredible khert scenery we get at times in this comic and I either nothing, a background shot or something more impactful would have been better here. Maybe a white space didn't work here, first draft.
>>
>>82958693

Elka and Toma are biggest badasses in this comic. Taking on swarms of bad guys without tacit casting or magical insects to back them up.
>>
>>82957989
Sorry, but Sharteshane is the best, a bastion of capitalism in a land of filthy commies
>>
File: ch09_69.jpg (289 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
ch09_69.jpg
289 KB, 600x900
>>82958767
>and I either nothing
"I think either nothing"

A big fan of the use of magic on this page too. It's intelligent enough to just go with 'the reader understands the principles, I don't need to explain them'. I always find it a little hard to buy lots of dialogue with spellwork in Unsounded because they have to speak the spells alongside it. And it's hard to buy lots of dialogue in (most) fight scenes in the first place.
>>
>>82958754
Embassytown is sci-fi, not fantasy, and it's built entirely on a quirk of an alien species which the book constructs itself around quite well.

Tolkien was massively influential! But he was infuenced himself, too. Without Tolkien we'd still have William Morris, Lord Dunsany, et al and the seminal British fantasy work of the 1940s would be The Once and Future King. If I got an adult adaptation of that with the budget and quality LotR had, I'd take that world.
>>
>>82958767
core leech babyyyy
>>
Just having checked the comic, I'd also venture that no-one who is a fan of Blade of the Immortal can entirely misunderstand an action sequence.
>>
>>82958770
Jivi is literally my favourite nigga, but yeah they're both pretty badass.
>>
>>82958894
Hey, don't look at me, my favorite Fantasy is still Conan. People might accuse me of having simple taste, but it's great stuff.
>>
>>82958976

>shoulder-tackling a sword-wielding adult twice his size to protect his blind husbando

yeah, he's a pretty cool guy
>>
>>82956860
>Or the Star Wars fandom, which reads shit into the movies that was never even there?
To be fair, that was ingrained into the fans by the EU Lucas didn't give a shit about as long as it printed money. The old EU has a story (with a price tag attached) for damn near every character that ever showed up on screen. Everyone in the Mos Eisley cantina had a name and a story
>>
>>82959235
Star Trek did that, too. Even the cat who sat on the bridge in TAS has a series of novels. And the saucy Vulcan chick who shows up in two episodes was apparently impregnanted by some sort of hermaphrodite.

And in Star Trek Online, even Leeta the dumb as bricks Dabo girl is an admiral. I mean, come the fuck on.
>>
>>82959544
The fetishists always get in at the edges.
>>
>>82957053
>Is the Unsounded fandom somehow more under fire than other webcomic fandoms, since aggression tends to breed hostile defensiveness?
I'd argue the opposite. For years I've been a fan of Unsounded, and all it's ever gotten for very long has been extraordinary praises like "it's the best webcomic, "The writing is perfect", "Ashley is such a bro", "This is a comic for intellectuals, it's not like those OTHER webcomics" Any hint of criticism, such as hinting that parts of the writing is less than stellar, was typically been met with a condescending scoff from the fandom claiming that the person isn't intelligent enough to get it.

Over time this has led to the fandom becoming a circerjerk of congratulating each other for liking the best comic there is and driving out most fans who have anything negative to say. And this is the result, the artist has gotten thin-skinned from getting nothing but clit-sucking from her adoring fans and the fandom has become saturated with the aggressively defensive individuals who will not tolerate any doubt of their waifu's perfect skills at everything.

I'm sad to see the fandom of one of my favourite comics become this.
>>
>>82958201
Please Ashley, if you really are Ashley, don't change your name to GirlyAshley! The trolls keep bringing that annoying instance up every thread and if you keep bringing it up too it just makes them think that you really did get hung up on that comment.
>>
>>82960235
Vague criticism for or against something is always going to get backs up IMO.
>>
>>82958201
>If there wasn't something holding the creator back, they'd be signed on with a proper publisher.
You must not read a lot of published comics then. Some of them are absolute trash. And the art...well, people like Rob Leifield and Greg Land still get work.

You do suck at action though. Also
>GirlyAshley
Poor taste.
>>
>>82958735
Starfish never moves to grab her arm. He's just caught it once we actually see his arm.
>>
>>82958201
>but what do I know? I am only a stupid webcomic artist
Fishing for sympathy 101.
>>
>>82956746
>It's clearly purposeful trolling
Yeah, that's what I would say too if I was presented with something I couldn't argue against but didn't agree with either.

Oh no wait I wouldn't, since I'm not a douchebag.
Carry on.
>>
>>82960634
>You do suck at action though.
I mean, I think the two action scenes posted ITT are really sick, despite minor criticism. I don't really want this to become a meme comment.
>>
>>82960918
There were more than two posted
>>
>>82960966
The two full ones, then.
>>
>>82960825
I don't know if you're new to the medium, but him not having her arm in one panel, and the very next one with movement lines from his arm and grabbing her arm show exactly that.
>>
>>82955631
>You should be able to flip open to the middle of a book and understand everything without context or explanation!

You're a retard
>>
>>82960908
Pffft, this post.
Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.