[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't get it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 250px-Blackholecover.jpg (27 KB, 250x350) Image search: [Google]
250px-Blackholecover.jpg
27 KB, 250x350
I don't get it
>>
>>82940718
What's not to get, it's fairly straightforward.
>>
>>82940769
I don't get why it is so praised. It's mediocre at best
>>
It really took 10 years to makes this shit
>>
>>82940853
>>
>>82940718
I remember once that someone explained it, and I remember that the explanation actually made sense, but I can't remember what they said.
>>
>>82941741
All I see are obvious metaphors and shit dialogue. Am I really missing something?
>>
>>82940718
You are officially too stupid to live. Please accept a Darwin award on behalf of all of humanity.
>>
>>82942030
For not liking your pretentious YA crap? Teenagers are quite sensitive indeed.
>>
>>82940718
It's about the death of innocence, and how adolescent sexual awakening changes everything, so much so that you can't go back, and it's figuratively like leaving home to live in the woods. Some are markedly changed by their experiences, and others manage to get by without anyone noticing.
>>
>>82942001
>Am I really missing something?

decent story, not overly deep but interesting

excellent, stylized art the kind you almost never see in comics

basically its a proto-scott pilgrim made by a much better artist and writer
>>
>>82944534

>basically its a proto-scott pilgrim made by a much better artist and writer

How? Scott Pilgrim is about young adults who act like teenagers but have the chance to be something if only they'd apply themselves. Black Hole is about teenagers who, due to circumstances beyond their control, will never make it to being young adults, no matter how much they apply themselves.
>>
>>82940718
Sex is weird.
>>
>>82944624

i meant as both being works of somewhat magical realism, where SP'nonsensical setting is largely retconned to be a product of an unreliable narrator; Black Hole's allegorical fantasy setting is also to be taken as a point of view of a teenager
>>
>>82944743
>Black Hole's allegorical fantasy setting is also to be taken as a point of view of a teenager

Or it's all actually happening, but like in the real world teens are powerless to really push back against their circumstances, and must deal with them the best they can.

Also, Scott Pilgrim's setting was never retconned to be false, just parts of Scott's memories. The bizarre, fantastical, kung-fu movie/video game tropes continue even after Scott sees things as they really were. It's just that he thought he was a better person that he really is.
>>
>>82945018
>Or it's all actually happening, but like in the real world teens are powerless to really push back against their circumstances, and must deal with them the best they can.

Probably, but to me it reads like an allegory. visually it kinda reminds me of some George Mcdonald writing. but i guess that part of why its good is that it can be taken in many ways and still retain its message

>Also, Scott Pilgrim's setting was never retconned to be false, just parts of Scott's memories. The bizarre, fantastical, kung-fu movie/video game tropes continue even after Scott sees things as they really were. It's just that he thought he was a better person that he really is.

once we knew what really happened to kim's sort of bf back in hs, i assumed most of what we see in the previous volumes is tainted by scott's "memory cam" effect
>>
>>82945219

>most of what we see in the previous volumes is tainted by scott's "memory cam" effect

I agree, but the stuff that is tainted by his warped perception is the things that make him look like a good person-- because as Kim and Envy remind him, he isn't.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.