[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Not a lot of people on /co/ seemed to like this movie, but why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: big hero 6.jpg (162 KB, 1400x2100) Image search: [Google]
big hero 6.jpg
162 KB, 1400x2100
Not a lot of people on /co/ seemed to like this movie, but why? It was a sweet film. Baymax is one of the best Disney characters I've seen since Stitch.
>>
Probably backlash from getting the Oscar over more deserving films.
>>
It was ok but felt like a pilot episode rather than a full story on its own. I enjoyed it still.
>>
It was cute, but felt more like intended to Japanese audience and fans of anime, don't remember if Disney did that before.

That upcoming show must be result of great success of movie in Japan
>>
>>82922400
>Baymax is one of the best Disney characters I've seen since Stitch
For what reason exactly?
>>
>>82922400
Its story fails at a certain point. Or it delivers up to a point but it isn't followed through for whatever reason. Instead we're presented with a whole lot of clichéd and easily predictable scenes which leaves us with no tension at all. This in turn undermines the intended emotional climax in the end.

So it's a meh as a story.
>>
>>82922609
He has a distinct, sweet personality that makes him prime for "I would want him as a best friend" type character. You can throw this character in any scenario, and it would be interesting to watch. Like, Vanellope and Nick are good characters to watch, but Stitch and Baymax I would actually want as sidekicks. Same thing with a character like Toothless. They're like extreme versions of pets.
>>
>>82922758
If you say so.
>>
I liked it when I saw it, but i liked it less when in won the oscar over HTTYD2, honestly every entry deserved it more (exept boxtrollls). So I think its just disney fans overblowing things, seriously the diseny fanbase is just as awful as the sonic fanbase, but its more socially aceptibale
>>
>>82922456
Pretty much this.
>>
>>82922456
This. It felt like everybody was still trying to get used to their abilities and not enough time doing dynamic, wacky heroics or overcome-this-hurdle by-comboing abilities shit as opposed to say The Incredibles.

But I'd say its more of a difference in expectation. The movie wanted to focus on Hiro and Baymax's relationship when it was presented as a superhero movie.
>>
Too many movies where amateur heroes get together and test out their powers then defeat bad guy.
>>
>>82922400

Eh. It was okay. It's just there were much better movies that did the ideas of this movie more successful (Incredibles, Iron Giant, How to Train Your Dragon.). Also having that stupid "Killing is wrong even when the asshole deserves it" moral and Man of Shit's scents on it are also flaws.

I'm pissed as fuck though that this is getting a level in Kingdom Hearts 3 before much more important and longer awaited movies like Robin Hood.
>>
DKR already perfected the big guy genre so this movie is redundant.
>>
>>82923069
>I'm pissed as fuck though that this is getting a level in Kingdom Hearts 3 before much more important and longer awaited movies like Robin Hood.
Has Zootopia been confirmed for KH3 yet? Zootopia is a better choice than Robin Hood, and the directors said they like to think it takes place in the same universe.
>>
>>82922400
>Not a lot of people on /co/ seemed to like this movie
Where the FUCK are you getting that from?
>>
>>82923230
Seen a lot of posts where people bring up how disappointing it is in comparison to Wreck it Ralph or Zootopia, how it was a shitty movie that got an award, how it's the weakest of the bunch out of Disney's recent CG films. It's not constant discussion, but whenever I see someone bring it up, it usually seems to be negatively.
>>
>>82922400
I really wanted to like it but it's so half baked to me.
>Brothers death is Pa Kent tier
>the 4 other hero's are walking stereotypes
>the going into the portal to save the one chick was poorly done
>the portals in general were an awful plot point
>"Wow, you must have done a lot of coding on this!"
>"your tech is so cool!"
the last 2 are just me being autistic.
It just felt really sloppily written to me.

On a positive note the Baymax/Hiro relationship was really good.
>>
>>82923362
Only thing that felt sloppily written to me was Hiro just saying, "YEAH WELL, OUR PARENTS DIED WHEN I WAS THREE SO".

It's always so awkward when a character just says their backstory to someone who should be really fucking familiar with it.
>>
>>82923184

Nick and Judy have medals in that mobile game. It's probably gonna be one of those overhyped worlds like BH6 and Frozen.

And

>Not wanting Sora and Robin sneaking around wrecking Prince John's shit Sly Cooper-style.
>>
>>82924225
I'd rather go exploring about the Rodent City like Godzilla similar to Judy and fight Heartless there. KH always does a shit job when they try to change the gameplay up with little gimmicks and quirks, like that fucking awful Little Mermaid level. The Coliseum level also felt like it took forever just to do really easy fights because of the constant loading into the next fight and cutscenes and shit. I preferred just exploring the underworld.
>>
File: Sora_Concept_KH1.jpg (138 KB, 300x428) Image search: [Google]
Sora_Concept_KH1.jpg
138 KB, 300x428
>>82924514

There was already a segment similar to Rodent City in 2 in the classic Mickey segment. If anything it'll probably be similar to Traverse and Twilight Town and probably San Fransokyo.

Would be great if Nomura decides to be cute and use Sora's concept art as his Zootopia/RH form.
>>
The plot just felt paper thin, even for a children's animated film. It's a murder mystery with two suspects and one of them is too obviously "evil" from the outset. The action itself was underwhelming, with nothing too memorable or striking at all. The best part was the hot aunt and gogos ass.

A Disney animated film doesn't have to be Chinatown, but something like Zootopia is engaging because there's more going on with the story than just zipping from point a to b.
>>
>>82923426

I think it shows how much more Tadashi meant to him.

but yeah it felt redundant but if you were 3 years old and you're parents die it wouldn't mean as much as if your brother who you spent your whole life with dying.
>>
File: 48045230.jpg (535 KB, 1200x971) Image search: [Google]
48045230.jpg
535 KB, 1200x971
I liked the movie but except for Baymax and Hiro's cuteness there was nothing that really stood out.

They should went with a boy and his robot theme instead of the superhero story.
>>
File: avengers-assemble.jpg (128 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
avengers-assemble.jpg
128 KB, 720x720
>>82922648
>Its story fails at a certain point.
I found the story started to really fall apart around the end of the second act when they introduced the whole plot with the villain's daughter.

Not only did that reveal come right the hell out of nowhere, but it ended up coming across like the main plot had been derailed to focus on something that was completely unrelated. It tries to connect it to the rest of the film by with a halfhearted attempt to parallel Hiro's actions with the villain's since we don't actually get to see the much of the villain interact with Hiro except for the beginning and very end. There's also a very notable drop in quality when it comes to how plot developments are reached - especially in dialogue. During the scene when Hiro finds his brother's video testing files on Baymax I kept getting distracted by how blatantly "DO YOU GET IT AUDIENCE" everything that came out of Tadashi's mouth was to connect it with Hiro. But the final fight in the climax when Hiro starts giving people who are twice his age generic advice and orders on how to use the equipment that they were inventing before even met Hiro is where I think the film lost me completely. Which is a shame, since I thought the first and second acts were pretty good.

Then again, I guess it's not surprising when not only was Big Hero Six written by about 6 different people, some of whom were the same people who've wrote this.
>>
>>82922783
He is right, and for the most part that's intentional.
>>
>>82927117
I just don't necessarily consider a "great pet" a compelling character. I find comparing Baymax to Stitch disingenuous since Stitch had far more depth than the marshmallow.
>>
>>82923288
>disappointing it is in comparison to Wreck it Ralph or Zootopia, how it was a shitty movie that got an award, how it's the weakest of the bunch out of Disney's recent CG films.
These are all true.
>>
>>82927177
Having to compare films to enjoy one is a very glass half-empty way of watching movies. And the awards for animation are always shit. The Academy people who judge those films are film elitists who don't give a shit about any genre other than European and American drama.
>>
>>82927326
Well I don't have to compare. BH6 was 'meh' all on its own.
>>
>>82922400
Am I the only one who can't stand the fucker? I mean, I realize that whenever you feel like asking a question that starts with "Am i the only one..." you usually aren't, but in this case I'm not so sure.
>>
>>82922400
for me it was the passage of time (the daughter in cryo)
she should be dead.
from the portal experiment to him becoming the head of a tech school seemed off. same with the guy funding the portal experiment to making a new business.

seemed like the portal experiment was like last weekend.

plus the guy losing his daughter would've been major news.

plus hiro didn't invent anything. other than make smaller the 'villian's' tech. well he probably did make the control device.
>>
>>82922400
because they killed mai husbando and made me start fapping to incestual shota.
>>
>>82922400
The entire movie was very formulaic and predictable. It felt like I saw every plot twist half an hour before it happened. It looked quite nice and had a good cast of characters, but I just didn't care about what was happening at all in the movie.
>>
Japan seemed to love it.

At least they sure seem to love drawing gay doujins about hiro
>>
File: not gay.jpg (21 KB, 222x229) Image search: [Google]
not gay.jpg
21 KB, 222x229
>>82928457
>>
>>82928760
I mean

Is it somehow not gay if it's shota?

I'm pretty sure it can be both.
>>
>>82928784
It's like being a pedophile. You don't say "He's a gay pedophile", you just say pedophile because when they're underage, gay or straight doesn't matter, it's still underage.
>>
File: 01.png (1 MB, 1000x1397) Image search: [Google]
01.png
1 MB, 1000x1397
>>82928784

Most shotacons consider themself straight. It's complicated.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.