[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did it age well?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 30
File: Avengers.jpg (368 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Avengers.jpg
368 KB, 1920x1080
Did it age well?
>>
It didn't even age well from the theater to the tv screens.
>>
File: cap.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
cap.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1200
>>82869231
'S alright, although after seeing TWS and CW, it's clear Wheadon doesn't know jack-shit to use Cap at his full potential, though
>>
>>82869231

I still can't believe they went with the cloth / spandex Cap outfit. Shit sucked.
>>
File: AOU Deleted Scene.png (901 KB, 1274x672) Image search: [Google]
AOU Deleted Scene.png
901 KB, 1274x672
>>82869231
I think its good for what it is and honestly its impressive that they took all these characters that shouldn't interact with each other and made it work.

But as a movie on its own, it's alright. Loki's plan literally makes zero sense. As far as technical stuff goes, it has some of the worst cinematography I've ever seen in a major blockbuster.

I'd give it a 7/10, but it's honestly pretty forgettable minus the Invasion scenes.
>>
>>82873133
>Loki's plan literally makes zero sense

I blame The Dark Knight for jumpstarting the trend of having a larger-than-life villain with ridiculously complex schemes relying entirely on coincidences and all of the planets alligning.
>>
>>82873390
>blaming Nolan for shitty directors/writers for stealing things from a good movie without understanding why it worked in that movie
ok
>>
I rewatched this recently with someone who didn't know MCU. It's pretty good and does what its set out to do really well... better than what AoU did, so contextually it did age well.
>>
>>82873133
>>82869231
>>82869316
The movie did so many things so right at the right time, that most it's faults (cinematography and shitty costumes) kind of make it endearing.

Like it's own self-contained golden-age adventure in a way.

Sure, context-less it's not that great, but they moved past it and improved for the next instalments, and no movie exists without context.

You've just watched it so many times you wore it out, but you sure as fuck loved it the first 10 times you watched it, and you're being disingenuous to think it sucks because it doesn't hold on the 11th, even if you still can't help but smile at the circle shot and the 'Hulk Smash' line.
>>
>>82873540
It wore out a lot of its charm for me by the third time I saw it.

Still got some good moments, there's just nothing new you get from re-watching it.
>>
>>82873716
I think that's just you being cynical, honestly.

If you had enjoyed it even just once, it'd be a perfectly good movie. But you enjoyed it more than once, and it forged it's own legacy, so it became great.

It's not even my favourite movie of the series or anything, but it entertained me once, it did it's job. Same goes for stuff like Thor 2 or MoS. It's not great, but it entertained me for the first time I watched it, so it's not bad.

The fact that everything that came after it being slightly better (like TWS, GotG, CW, maybe even AoU in some aspects) just meants that they are trying to improve or at least change enough to keep it interesting. It doesn't make it retroactively bad if you came from the theatre with your friends/family with a smile on your face.
>>
>>82871087
I like it way more than all the ones he's worn since, personally.
>>
File: 1447734067877.jpg (3 MB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
1447734067877.jpg
3 MB, 3000x1688
>>82875048
I recognize your right to an opinon anon but geez
>>
>>82876835
Man, what trick of fabric is it that causes Evans' neck to go full Pencil in the Avengers suit?
>>
File: 1460509328282.jpg (86 KB, 600x992) Image search: [Google]
1460509328282.jpg
86 KB, 600x992
>>82877162
I wish I knew
>>
>>82873133
It holds up for a variety of reasons. It's not perfect, but it never could be.

The literal worst part of the entire movie is Cap's uniform. It's like they pulled a Cap costume off a rack at Walmart and did it up.

Everything else is a nitpick at best.

Some production flaws make it to film, jarring some scenes.
The old Jew speech felt like a self congratulatory pat on the back.

Your points,
>muh cinematography
Examples? I can't think of a scene that was soo jarring as to take me out of the film.

>Loki's not as smart as I am!
I don't count poor character logic or motivations as negatives to any story unless they combine with some glaring plot hole.

Considering the feat they had to undertake in combining all the actors, sets, plot elements, background lore, pacing, stunts, effects... It's an absolute miracle it worked as well as it did.

It's a solid 8.5/10 in terms of Superhero films.
>>
>>82869231
Ehh, it's okay.
This one was special because it was the first team up, but that's all.
Civil War is a better Avengers movie.
>>
>>82878028
It feels like a TV movie, it's so cheap-looking and bland
>>
>>82876835
best to worst
>>
>>82878101
I'm so glad i'll never understand a thing about cinematography.
>>
>>82873438
It didn't really work in that movie; people just overlooked it for some reason
>>
>>82873716
>It wore out a lot of its charm for me by the third time I saw it.
Ah, but it got you to see it three times.
>>
>>82878101
'Sup Wally.
>>
>>82876835
AoU Cap costume is almost perfect, although I prefer the ears out option.
>>
>>82869231
It gets worse every time you rewatch it. It's one of those movies that had nothing but hype going for it and you were so hyped that you choose to look past the flaws on the first time watching.
>>
>>82869231
Just watched it again last week. I still think it is a strong movie, especially how many ways there were to turn into a disaster. The only disaster is poor Captain America's outfit.
>>
>>82869231
Very.

It will remain the first movie to bridge a cinematic universe, thats not a Godzilla movie, and the best ensemble superhero movie since Xmen 2
>>
File: 1406145815962.jpg (100 KB, 500x622) Image search: [Google]
1406145815962.jpg
100 KB, 500x622
>mfw Avengers is 4 years-old now
>mfw
>>
File: Batman Begins.jpg (51 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
Batman Begins.jpg
51 KB, 460x276
>>82869231
>Age
What, are people in this thread 14 or something?

Is Begins some hoary old classic from the silent era?

Avengers was and is a solid action yarn. The fact that the drama queens around here built up a bunch of contrarian drama around it doesn't change a thing.
>>
File: Wolverine Jackman.jpg (275 KB, 1280x660) Image search: [Google]
Wolverine Jackman.jpg
275 KB, 1280x660
>>82881627
>and the best ensemble superhero movie since Xmen 2
>X-Men 2
>ensemble
It remains "Wolverine and his supporting cast of buddies who have strong feelings about Wolverine but really need him".
>>
It does hold up. It's a good movie with solid structure. I don't see how you could execute it better. Everyone had something to do. There were many memorable scenes. Most of the Avengers had an arc.
>>
>>82873438
>"it worked" in the movie because Joker

Nah. People just overlook that shit because "It's the Joker, everybody", Heath Ledger, and good acting.
>>
>>82869231
Yes.

It's not the best marvel film, but does many things right and even now remains a good film, with an exellent pace and a good balance between the characters.
I find hard to watch again Age of Ultron, but the first Avengers always with pleasure even with all its flaws.
There are also a couple of good scenes. The first flight of Helicarrier. The arrival of Iron man in Germany with the music in background. The Hulk fist against the alien dragon.

And last, it's the first film that manages to do such a thing, so it's historically important. The haters can hate it , but Avengers has redefined a part of cinema. This is a fact.
>>
>>82876835
What can I say? I'm a sucker for more traditional looking superhero costumes.
>>
>>82878318
Don't worry, most people who post about it don't either, they just say "it looks like TV" without saying why they think that.
>>
>>82881941
Ranks up with The Godfather, Ocean's 11, Ghostbusters and LoTR as one of the great Ensemble films.
>>
>>82881704
To be fair some things age really fast, but it usually has to do with special effects.
>>
>>82878101
This is the feeling I got during my second viewing. I can't really explain it, but the inside of the helicarrier was so flat and boring to me.

I don't think the aspect ratio was a good choice. It gave a feeling of things being tight like during the invasion or helicarrier fights. Ant-Man has the same aspect ratio, but you don't have so many things and key people fighting for space in the same shot. Nor was the setting on as big a scale as Avengers.

In general it felt more like TV scenes with how close things were shot. And it was just more obvious how things were on man-made sets.

I think it's good fun anytime, but the other movies since then look a lot better.
>>
File: Indy.jpg (53 KB, 355x400) Image search: [Google]
Indy.jpg
53 KB, 355x400
>>82882209
Only if you were merely enjoying the special effects to begin with.
Character-driven films never really age that way.
>>
Aside from the CGI and the costume work, it actually holds up pretty well.
>>
>>82876835
Frankly, they did a good job to make credible the Cap Costume. Yes, Avengers costume was horrible, but Coulson did it inspired by the theater spandex version, because he was a fan of comic Cap.

My favorites are the second and the last, but even the stealth version is an excellent alternative. Cap , Iron Man, Black Panther and Ant man are really the best MCU heroes for design, at last for now. IMHO
>>
>>82882245
>Only if you were merely enjoying the special effects to begin with.
Not really, something looking jarring can take you out of the movie, making a scene that's supposed to be dramatic look ridiculous.
>Character-driven films never really age that way.
Because they usually don't have tons of special effects. Duh.
>>
File: HulkA.jpg (77 KB, 670x503) Image search: [Google]
HulkA.jpg
77 KB, 670x503
>>82882267
Avengers Hulk was brilliant, they abandoned the forlorn child Hulk from the Lee film and the frightening "Fist of the North Star" Hulk from Norton's film and just made him a loveably dim, easily triggered man-beast, like a gigantic toddler with a temper.
>>
>>82882322
I never watched the Hulk movies, is any of them good?
>>
>>82882322
Yeah, you right. i'm hyped for Ragnarok, but not for Thor... for Ruffalo Hulk.
>>
>>82882358
The 2008 one is watchable. The 2004 one is weird. I have not seen it in years.
>>
File: jaws1.jpg (39 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
jaws1.jpg
39 KB, 500x281
>>82882299
>Because they usually don't have tons of special effects. Duh.
Not to harp on Spieldberg, but Close Encounters and Poltergeist disagree with you.
Both are effects-heavy films with incredible characterization. Fuck, the SFX and Jaws is literally as old as the Summer movie, and scarcely holds up at all. But the characters make it a timeless classic.
>>
>>82882363
Hemsworth is a good Thor, but he's had shit material besides a couple of one liners.
Trust the Taika.
>>
>>82882363
Ruffalo/Hulk is seriously gonna steal that movie.
>>
>>82882396
Good thing I said "usually" and not "never. not even from one of the best filmmakers ever".
>>
>>82882382
If you see it the Ang movie for the first time, you can appreciate it. See it a second time, make you want shoot yourself in the head.
>>
File: hellboy-2-picture-20.jpg (47 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
hellboy-2-picture-20.jpg
47 KB, 600x338
>>82882431
I could cite examples all night. Good directors realize that even with a ton of fantastical nonsense going on, the audience needs to connect with the characters.
Even cheapie stuff like Pitch Black really gets this.
>>
File: Green Lantern2.jpg (29 KB, 500x290) Image search: [Google]
Green Lantern2.jpg
29 KB, 500x290
>>82882431
Whereas this is crippled by being laden with characters no one could be expected to give a single fuck about, the SFX have little to do with it's shitty reception.
>>
>>82882322
>like a gigantic toddler with a temper.
This is why I fill almost the opposite about Avengers Hulk. The more "loveable" the Hulk is the more absurd it is that Bruce has such a hard time with the fact that he has to turn into him. I think the Hulk should always be serious threat on some level. This possibility of total loss of control and the damage that comes with that. You either go with that or the smarter version of Hulk that can maintain its form through will or some kind of inner fight with Banner. But that middle ground of "aww, Hulk just misunderstood" makes the struggle between the two pointless.
>>
>>82882468
>I could cite examples all night
Good for you, that wouldn't prove shit besides "good movies are good".

Also the Hellboy practical effects were neat.
>>
>>82882468
correct, however it is still cinema. The best films are the ones that manage to combine great characters with iconic moments. The Raiders of the Lost Ark has not aged very well, but has some epic moments and Indana Jones is an immense character.
>>
>>82882512
Proof?
>>
File: Hulk Avengers.jpg (122 KB, 840x455) Image search: [Google]
Hulk Avengers.jpg
122 KB, 840x455
>>82882515
Other people's toddlers are hard enough to like, when they can throw your car through the roof of your house they become incredibly terrifying. Banner is frightened of him because it's his primal self unleashed with no restraint and unlimited power, the most terrifying aspect of himself.

I find it to be an effective Hulk.
>>
>>82869231
Yeah, I've seen people putting on a similar pedestal than the first Rami's Spiderman.
>>82871087
Coulson's a fanboy.
>>
File: Flash Gordon Movie.jpg (181 KB, 561x749) Image search: [Google]
Flash Gordon Movie.jpg
181 KB, 561x749
>>82882529
>Also the Hellboy practical effects were neat.

Fine, here's an example of a classic that's well-loved, it was SFX heavy, and the effects were dated before the thing even hit theaters.

It's fun, it has fun characters without any huge stars, it's a very character-performance driven adventure film.
>>
File: 1463469702783.webm (241 KB, 870x786) Image search: [Google]
1463469702783.webm
241 KB, 870x786
>>82873540
>you sure as fuck loved it the first 10 times you watched it
Get the fuck out of here, anon.
>>
>>82869231
That poster sure didnt
>>
>>82869231
It became outdated once you walked out of theater.
>>
>>82882624
People will love this film for a long time, and not for the mediocre and heavily used SFX.
>>
>>82882082
>I'm a sucker
You sure are.
>>
>>82882580
If the rumors are real, the Ragnarok Hulk will be smarter. Even in Thanos original gems quest, Hulk was in his smart phase.
>>
>>82882242
The first time I saw it in theaters I got a really weird feeling from the opening scene in the SHIELD headquarters. I felt like a I was watching a TV movie and I didn't shake that feeling til that whole scene was over. But watching it now I get that feeling from the whole movie. Whedon really isn't suited to direct for anything other than TV and it comes across hard in his movies, with dull shots and boring framing.

The whole scale of the big final battle is kind of underwhelming too. The Chitauri aren't a particularly threatening invasion force, and despite how Civil War wants you to remember it, they didn't get much done. A couple neighborhoods were roughed up and a few people died, but the whole thing feels weak. You could argue that's how it should be that they don't get anything done because the Avengers are doing their job. But it doesn't make the Avengers look competent, it just makes the villains look like pushovers who are bad at what they do.
>>
>>82882698
And now we've heard from the Anti-Whedonites.
Again.
for the umpteen zillionth time.
>>
>>82882624
>without any huge stars,

But anon, BRIAN BLESSED makes up for any level of mid-tier celebrity with SHEER SPEAKING VOLUME.
>>
>>82882724
It's almost like this is a thread about opinions.
>>
>>82873133
>Loki's plan literally makes zero sense.
You mean the part where he lets himself get captured and fuck up the Avengers from the inside? That was to get them to face him in the middle of downtown Manhattan. Everything else he does makes obvious sense.

"I didn't understand it" is not an argument that something doesn't actually make sense.
>>
File: 2012.jpg (160 KB, 940x529) Image search: [Google]
2012.jpg
160 KB, 940x529
>>82882698
>A couple neighborhoods were roughed up and a few people died, but the whole thing feels weak

Yes, it certainly wasn't a black whirlwind of CGI debris with a pounding Zimmer soundtrack, that's for sure. Not every battle has to be a biblically cataclysmic set-piece where the continental plates are threatening to rip asunder Zack.
>>
>>82882580
I think the moments when he's in full rage. The Wakanda/vs hulkbuster scene and parts in the first avengers on the Hellicarrier when he's a rampaging monster threat. Are his best the rest, to me is ranging from comic relief to wtf is this, I guess it's OK. Unlike Incredible Hulk where even when he wasn't raging there was still this crazy tension with his anger. Like even when he was with Betty if she fucked up he might hurt her on accident as opposed to Widow who had this weird key phrase hypnotizing thing going on.
>>
Avengers is a truly awful movie and its terribly overrated.

1. It's filled with quips. It's one thing if Ironman is quipping, because its pretty much what he does. BUT EVERY CHARACTEr QUIPS. There isn't one scene of characters talking where someone doesn't resort to a quip or say something cringy that no one would say in real life.

2. There are no stakes. From the beginning the Avengers are kicking Loki's ass. There is always suppose to be a point where the hero/heroes seem like they are going to lose to add tension. This doesn't happen in the Avengers. You are essentially watching them blow shit up for 2 hours with no resistance.

3. Loki's characterization is dumb. He's suppose to be clever and conniving. Instead he's dumb and just wants to destroy shit for no reason.

4. The action is Transformers tier. I never understood why people shit on michael bay transformers movies yet love this when its essentially the same garbage. EXPLOSIONS. LETS GET A SHOT OF OUR HEROES ROTATING. Boring cinematography.
>>
File: Hulk of the North Star.jpg (32 KB, 570x321) Image search: [Google]
Hulk of the North Star.jpg
32 KB, 570x321
>>82882768
>Like even when he was with Betty if she fucked up he might hurt her
Too Zack Snyder for me, honestly. The Hulk shouldn't terrify the shit out of his close friends and allies.
>>
>>82882763
You don't have to leave a city looking like a smoking crater to feel like a threat, but a super destructive invasion force that just leaves New York looking like Detroit for a while doesn't really justify bringing out the nukes.
>>
>>8288224
>>82882698
>In general it felt more like TV scenes with how close things were shot.
>I felt like a I was watching a TV movie and I didn't shake that feeling til that whole scene was over. But watching it now I get that feeling from the whole movie. Whedon really isn't suited to direct for anything other than TV and it comes across hard in his movies
Yeah, but you don't actually MEAN anything by that. That's just a thing that people say on /tv/. A meme that is passed around with no explanation as to what "looks like a TV show" means in practice.
>>
>>82882698
Technically, there are plenty of cut scenes where the invasion is shown much more brutal and efficiently with victims killed and stores that burn with civilians inside. Cap has also a time of depression and despair.

all these scenes were cut because make the audience uncomfortable. It's the fault of the Mouse, yes, you're right to say that Whedon knows filmmaking like tv. You can have a stellar budget, but if the director thinks only like a TV show, can't help.
>>
>>82882724
Joss Whedon makes good TV shows but all of his movies are complete shit.
>>
>>82882769
>not getting that Avengers is a celebration of its own existence
>not getting that the whole movie has people delaying the inevitable and stating "THIS WONT WORK", despite you already knowing it will fucking work, and then it does, and keeps going

It's the whole fucking point that it was easy/shlocky. It's marvel's ultimate victory lap.

Now, you can argue that Whedon was the wrong call for the second one, and I'll honestly agree, but not seeing the meta-narrative of the first one says more about you than the movie.
>>
File: Le Troll.jpg (48 KB, 700x512) Image search: [Google]
Le Troll.jpg
48 KB, 700x512
>>82882769
Almost got all the buzzwords in on that one, 6/10.

Would have been an 8 if you used Pleb and normies.
>>
>>82869231

No. Any scene with Loki and Thanos goon look like they would be more comfortable on a Masters of the Universe set
>>
I don't think it's really a rewatchable film, due to its nature of just being quippy and trying to establish the team's chemistry. some cool things, great the first time around, not a rewatchable film to me. I like em complex I guess, just a matter of taste.
>>
>>82878318
That can mean
Cramped sets that look artificial and fake
Bad lighting
Awkward angles and positioning of props and characters
>>
>>82882813
They make a big deal out of the fact that the God of Thunder is holding them back at the gates, and that the rest of the team is just dealing with the ones that slip through.
>>
>>82882845
>It's dumb on purpose!

wtf are you even talking about. Celebration of its own existence? what does that mean? what does that have to do with the movie being good or bad? At what point of the movie is that made clear?

Can;t you say the same thing about transformers? why do people hate those movies but love this garbage?

>>82882847
nice meme dude
>>
File: BaneBats.jpg (9 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
BaneBats.jpg
9 KB, 259x194
>>82882871
>I like em complex
>>
>>82882800
>The Hulk shouldn't terrify the shit out of his close friends and allies.

That was the entire reason for Planet Hulk. He can do good at times but ultimately he's a huge risk. Should we tolerate that risk knowing that if it gets bad none of us could stop it.

But now we're just talking preferences and that's yours. It's WRONG but that's OK.
>>
>>82882899
It's not dumb on purpose, it's smart by being simple and having the characters do exactly what you expected them to do. It doesn't work twice, which is why AoU is kind of weak, but that time it did because it was self-aware.

Are you being dumb on purpose?
>>
>>82882902
TDKR was narratively complex, I'll give it that. It was basically 2-3 different plots mashed into one.
>>
>>82882925
Planet Hulk is mainly the Hulk helping out people who barely know him, or anything about him.
He's literally this green alien who drops out of the sky and starts fucking things up.

The idea that Betty and Rick Jones and the Avengers should be in fear of him is silly and nothing to do with the Hulk mythos, edgemeister.
>>
>>82882847
He forgot "pandering," too.
>>
>>82882954
>Planet Hulk is mainly the Hulk helping out people who barely know him, or anything about him.

It was John Carter with Hulk.
>>
File: Bane Hardy.jpg (548 KB, 1000x1503) Image search: [Google]
Bane Hardy.jpg
548 KB, 1000x1503
>>82882943
It was a rehash of the first movie with extra-dumb cops and an underwhelming "No I was the real mastermind the whole time!" reveal.
>>
>>82882985
Which is why Disney is going to stay well away from it.
>>
>>82883009
Just like the audiences.
>>
>>82882931
>The movie knows its bad so it's good!

The term "self-aware" is the most autistic way of justifying why you like bad films. The movie is dumb with cringy lines. A retarded plot. And bad characterization. The characters don't do what I expect them to do because I don't give a shit about any of them.

How the fuck am i suppose to know what black Widow is suppose to do, if they don't develop her character whatsoever?

How is this movie better than Transformers 2? This is a serious question. Stop ignoring it.
>>
>>82883041
Yes.
John Carter could have been a solid movie, had the leading character not been balls.
>>
>>82876835

Why does Cap change his outfit so much? And story-wise Cap really should have kept the Avengers one to honor Coulson but I'm glad he didn't because it was one poorly made suit.

And hey for that matter why did Hawkeye have a brand new costume ready in Civil War when he was supposed to be retired?
>>
>>82881847

TDK is what it is because Ledger died.

Now don't get me wrong it's great film, but the hype surrounding it was all Ledger.

Kind of like how Civil War was boosted because BVS was such a disappointment. To the point where it not being BVS was a positive point in reviews.
>>
>>82883073
The answer is: to sell toys.
>>
>>82882515

This is something I really loved about EMH.

Banner hated turning into Hulk because Hulk would refuse to give control back for long stretches of time.
>>
>>82882990
I thought it was basically Knightfall clumsily spliced with The Dark Knight Returns, but yeah, it was a bit of a retread of Batman Begins as well.
>>
>>82869231
Avengers is incredibly bad when the characters are no longer enough to tide you over.

The alien invasion is fucking boring.

I don't care who here hates Man of Steel, but that's how you put actual drama into your superhero/alien invasion movie.
>>
>>82883106
>Kind of like how Civil War was boosted because BVS was such a disappointment. To the point where it not being BVS was a positive point in reviews.
Similar to how The Force Awakens got a lot of freebies by reminding people of A New Hope an not being the Prequels, even though it's an overall kind of bland film.
>>
>>82873540
Shitty COSTUME. Singular.
>>
File: this asshole.jpg (24 KB, 600x408) Image search: [Google]
this asshole.jpg
24 KB, 600x408
>>82883205
>I don't care who here hates Man of Steel, but that's how you put actual drama into your superhero/alien invasion movie.
>>
>>82883073
Tony had one made just in case he wanted to come back, he picked it up at the compound
>>
>>82883205
>making uninteresting cardboard characters nobody wants to root for re-enact DBZ fights for 30 minutes and ending it in an incredibly stupid way is how you do drama
I'm not going to pretend Avengers is highly dramatic, but come on.
>>
>>82883205
Both Avengers and Man of Steel are bad for different reasons.
>>
>>82883205
So, you care to be considered a retarded.
>>
>>82883272

Killing the villain is actually a sensible ending.

>>82883283

Man of Steel is pretty much the best superhero movie. Cinematically, thematically, story-wise - what contest is there? Iron Man? Spider-Man? X-Men?
>>
>>82883283

Avengers should have had Hawkeye and Thor actually meet during Thor, and maybe had Tony watching over Steve when he woke up at the end of Cap.

Establish the characters knowing one another so you can cut to them having actual relationships to some degree.

Avengers kind of just forces relationships by having them fight and hate one another until Coulson dies.
>>
>>82883336
The Evans laugh in the middle of the tornado would be perfect now, but I'll just say that you're a idiot.
>>
>>82883336
>Man of steel is the best superhero movie

Not with its boring visuals, pretentious symbolism, and stale characters.

Watchmen is better than Man of Steel ybh
>>
>>82883254
>>82883272
>>82883283
>>82883319

Reminder that Ma of Steel is a movie with scenes like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_N4lCmgKTA

There's not much comparison.
>>
File: supposedly boring visuals.gif (502 KB, 440x180) Image search: [Google]
supposedly boring visuals.gif
502 KB, 440x180
>>82883387

>boring visuals
>>
>>82883450
what exactly is good about this scene? It was boring when i watched it in the theatre. Its boring now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hev2hu0LUcg

a scene like this is much better
>>
>>82883496
Grey and boring.
>>
>>82883450
And so? A movie can also be good with a different tone. SPider-Man 2 is a great film about a superhero with no stupid dark drama for insecure teenagers.

Just grow up, for God's sake.
>>
>>82883336
>Killing the villain is actually a sensible ending.
Yes, the way it happened isn't.
>30 minutes of wonton destruction that happen solely because Superman refuses to kill him (since it wasn't a question of competence, as shown in how easily he kills him when he wants to)
>he's clumsily "forced" by the plot into killing him
>when he does, he snaps his head IN THE DIRECTION WHERE THE PEOPLE ARE and somehow the beam miraculously misses them

The story was dumb as fuck and the themes didn't serve the movie properly. And it looked like shit half the time.
The movie felt like it was 3 hours long and somehow still managed to feel mostly empty.
>>
>>82883511
>what exactly is good about this scene?

The direction, the cinematography, the visuals, the atmosphere of dread

Even if you find it boring, you must recognize its basic quality.
>>
>>82883496
Honestly, i dont like Mos, but the first flight of Clark is a beautiful scene.
>>
>>82883563
That doesn't disprove Man of Steel's quality though.

Dismissing "dark drama" is what's immature.

>>82883578

He's not "forced" to kill him. He makes a choice. That's the whole point.

There's a minor continuity error. So what?
>>
>>82883584
Cinematography there is nothing of value in that scene. MoS has some remarkable moments, but certainly not that.
>>
>>82883578
>And it looked like shit half the time.

Prove it. It's a beautiful movie, certainly the most beautiful superhero movie.
>>
>>82883595

MOS needed a better tone, and a bit more color but Zac is a pretty good cameraman and he knows how to set a shot up.

He's just a garbage storyteller.
>>
>>82883584
>Cinematography

Panning to actors faces as the look slightly scared is good cinematography and direction?

> Visuals
Gray and boring just like the whole movie

>Atmosphere of dread

It's hard to feel dread when you don't care about any of the characters at all. Zod's speech isn't even well written. It's boring as shit.
>>
>>82883450
Looks like Signs crossed with Poltergeist. Which isn't an insult btw, just not terribly fitting.

Too bad we were introduced Zod earlier in the movie otherwise the mysterious scrambled alien overlord would have had more impact.
>>
>>82882754
No, retard.

He has no reason to even give a shit about the Avengers at all. If Barton is giving him all the info, then he should know they won't work together.

So he gets captured on purpose to stop a team that doesn't even exist yet. Bravo.
>>
>>82878346
Except it did and it was great, but ok
>>
>>82883450
Why did Zod act as if Clark had tried to avoid him and acted like a fugitive, if this is the first time he had ever made his presence known to Clark?

Not a single effort given to make Clark think they might be on the same side. In preserving their people, no, he goes straight to threats.
>>
>>82883635
>He's not "forced" to kill him. He makes a choice. That's the whole point.
But that's wrong. If that was the case they wouldn't have made it "kill him right now or this family you see (contrary to the other 5000 people who died) will die".

>There's a minor continuity error
I'd say since it should have killed them, it's not minor. Minor continuity error is hair parted on the wrong side.
>>
>>82883673

Loki's egotistical.

Of course he wants to stop the people that stood up against him.

He just didn't need to get himself captured to do it. And he didn't need to go down like a wimp either. He was supposed to be the first big villain and he gets smashed in five seconds after thirty minutes of fighting boring mooks.
>>
>>82883649
Prove it.
>inb4 you post a scene
That's not what proof is.

Slick =/= beautiful.
>>
>>82883714
It worked if you decide to ignore the parts that don't make sense
>>
>>82883642

There is, it's just subtle, just see below:

>>82883651
>Gray and boring just like the whole movie

This is a good example of how peope are not actually paying attention.

The scene is predominantly black and blue. Notice how the the tones of the Kent house match the Central Asian sky. The colors tie everyone in the scene together while keeping them in distinctly separate spaces.

It's good direction.

>>82883664
I agree, but this scene is from the perspective of the characters and not a third-person observer.
>>
>>82883750
>this scene is from the perspective of the characters and not a third-person observer.
The movie is supposed to impact the audience. It really doesn't matter if something is eerie to the characters if it's not to the audience. That's why Scooby Doo always does the reveal at the end, so that you identify with the characters who think it's a real ghost.
>>
>>82883715
>Not a single effort given to make Clark think they might be on the same side. In preserving their people, no, he goes straight to threats.

This is characterization.

>>82883718
>But that's wrong. If that was the case they wouldn't have made it "kill him right now or this family you see (contrary to the other 5000 people who died) will die".

That IS a choice.

>>82883728

Here: >>82883496

No doubt someone will respond that it's "grey", even though it's blue and white. I think some people here might have trouble with colors.
>>
>>82883673
>So he gets captured on purpose to stop a team that doesn't even exist yet. Bravo.
But he doesn't get captured to stop them, that's the point. He gets captured to get a sense of them, and get them to come to him when his army arrives in New York.

You said yourself that Barton told him Fury would be assembling a team. And that team was going to be comprised of the beings thought best situated to stop him, so the point was never to win against them all on his own, it was to make it so they faced him at the height of his command, while distracting them from focusing on Selvig who was setting up the portal device.

You shouldn't call people "retard" just because you don't understand something.
>>
>>82869231
Super heroes genre always age terribly with Burton and Nolan's Bat as an exception because it hardly use any CGI.
>>
>>82883813
>That IS a choice.
Not really. You're not going to have your MC let people die in front of his eyes, ever.
A choice would have been him deciding to kill him in a moment where the urgency wasn't "either you kill him or you're a failure as a hero".

>That's not what proof is.
Explain why it's beautiful, specifically why it's more beautiful than all other superhero movies.
>>
>>82883821
Pretty sure his plan was to get the Hulk to beat the others up. Why would he want them in NY when Iron Man, Thor and Hulk are each capable of beating him up 1v1?
>>
>>82882167
>Rank Cape film with all that classic movies

Kill yourself.
>>
>>82883813
People know that it's blue and white, what they really mean when they say it's "grey" is washed out. The colours are dull and not vibrant enough especially for the tone of the scene.
>>
>>82883821
>He gets captured to get a sense of them, and get them to come to him when his army arrives in New York.
Thats a horrible plan.
>>
File: a shot of man of steel.png (2 MB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
a shot of man of steel.png
2 MB, 1920x800
>>82883874
>Not really. You're not going to have your MC let people die in front of his eyes, ever.

That doesn't actually matter at all.

>A choice would have been him deciding to kill him in a moment where the urgency wasn't "either you kill him or you're a failure as a hero".

What are you even on about? It's a pretty simple choice: Superman can kill Zod or let innocent people die. No wriggling room or third choice.

Just because there's only one correct choice doesn't mean that it's not a choice.

>Explain why it's beautiful, specifically why it's more beautiful than all other superhero movies.

The visual style is luxuriant. It loves every detail on camera, but always controls it through composition. It's kinetic, and the fight scenes make you believe that these people are superhuman. It's hyperreal, which makes it both feel strangely grounded yet elevated.
>>
File: vlcsnap-00195.jpg (128 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-00195.jpg
128 KB, 1280x720
>>82881686
>2006 was ten years ago
>>
>>82883887
>Why would he want them in NY when Iron Man, Thor and Hulk are each capable of beating him up 1v1?
He wanted to show the world its most powerful champions fall in the most public way possible, and he seriously misjudged the Chitauri's power to overwhelm them, as well as his own ability to lead them.
>>82883963
Stark says so himself
>>
>>82883387
Whoa there, I agree with you about the pretentious shit and stale character part but Zack's pretty much nailed the visual.
>>
File: a supposedly non-vibrant shot.png (2 MB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
a supposedly non-vibrant shot.png
2 MB, 1920x800
>>82883949
>People know that it's blue and white, what they really mean when they say it's "grey" is washed out. The colours are dull and not vibrant enough especially for the tone of the scene.

So 1) indeed it's not grey, you're correct, and 2) I don't think you know what vibrant mean.s
>>
>>82883999

>Stark says so himself

Stark says the opposite. He says Loki needed to take them out to win, and that's why he attacked the helicarrier.
>>
>>82884036
"He needs to take us out he needs to be seen doing it...he wants an audience!"
>>
>>82883865
>with Burton as an exception

Only Batman 1. Batman Return, although it was a good movie has aged badly with its penguins with missiles and battle scene.
Batman 1 looks better just because it restricts these absurdities and he had a more horror tone.
>>
>>82884010

I always find the accusations of pretentiousness rather hollow. This is a movie where the working class hero cracks open a beer to watch some football. It cannot be that pretentious.

What's pretentious? There's some Christ imagery? That's hardly pretentious.
>>
>>82884097
>I always find the accusations of pretentiousness rather hollow. This is a movie where the working class hero cracks open a beer to watch some football. It cannot be that pretentious.
You can't seriously think this. The hero himself being portrayed (quite shallowly I'd add) as an "everyman" who drinks beer, does not indicate that the movie itself is not pretentious. It's still filled with mismatching symbolism that internally conflicts, in order to evoke Jesus and Plato's Republic in the most laughably forced ways. A bottle of Budweiser isn't going to change that.
>>
>>82884150
How does it conflict?
>>
>>82884097
It's not pretentious, it's just a bad script.
>>
>>82882651
>cropped version
kek
>>
>>82876835
AoU costume+CW helmet
>>
It's easily my favourite, best lines and the invasion scene is my favourite instance of the team working together

I'll admit that it's not the best movie in the mcu however I think you're all being a bit harsh on it here
>>
>/co/ thinks bad cinematopgraphy in Avengers is just a meme

You fucks don't know anything .

Let look at Nick Furys entrance. In Avengers, Whedon has him appear straight out of a helicopter with not much build up. He also uses the same technique he constantly uses in his TV shows too, where the camera is lying low facing upwards to give an impression of importance. It's quick and dirty, which is needed for a TV show.

Now let's look at Nick Fury's enterence in Winter Soldier. But that was directed by TV directors too so shouldn't also look like a TV show? Nope. When Fury gets off the chopper we see only his feet on the ground from behind a chopper and the appearance builts up to when opens the door and stands majestically. Much grander appearance.

The biggest offender is during the scene with Fury, Stark and Rogers in the helicarrier. The scene goes on for several minutes with nothing moving all shot using a camera pan for several minutes. Nothing is used for movement. The clouds don't move, the helicarriers don't move the characters in the background don't move. It's extremely flat. This is an example of bad cinematopgraphy.

The Russos are TV directors like Whedon, yet somehow their movies look better than Whedon's?
>>
how does it make you feel that this group in this constellation will never fight together again
>>
>>82886922
>in this constellation
What?
>>
>>82882698

The Chitari invasion had more street level shots and felt more personal. Kryptonian invasion was essentially them inside their ship blowing everything up. It felt more like a bombardment than invasion.
>>
>>82869231
Very well.

It is still kino
>>
>>82883988
>Just because there's only one correct choice doesn't mean that it's not a choice.
It kind of does.
>The visual style is luxuriant. It loves every detail on camera, but always controls it through composition. It's kinetic, and the fight scenes make you believe that these people are superhuman. It's hyperreal, which makes it both feel strangely grounded yet elevated.
GOd that was a lot of empty words.
>>
>>82873438
well even nolan wasn't any good at it you realise after watching TDKR.
Also, it's pretty telling of that trilogy that it's known as 'the Dark Knight trilogy' and not the batman begins trilogy.
>>
I don't even like Man of Steel, but compare this scene from The Avengers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jqZQWuuaF8

to this scene from Man of Steel:

https://youtu.be/HnAw3E_mLh8?t=161 (start at about 2:50)

and just try to tell me the Avengers looks better.
>>
>>82890677
>I don't even like Man of Steel,
>to this scene from Man of Steel
>and just try to tell me the Avengers looks better.

I think a lot of people get tripped up on this. When they don't like a movie, they can't admit any quality in it.

I used to dislike Man of Steel before coming around to it, but even then I realised that it's a pretty impressive movie.

>>82890291
>It kind of does.

It's kind of baffling that you need the concept of choice explained to you.

>´GOd that was a lot of empty words.

If you can't prove that MoS beautiful then don't try.

>>82886678
This is pretty good: Kurosawa versus Whedon.

https://youtu.be/doaQC-S8de8?t=249
>>
Aging isn't even an issue. /co/ was talking about how much it looked like a bad-to-mediocre TV show back when we had just got those short promotional clips. Like Black Widow attacking a guy with her hair.

I tried to stay positive, I hoped you couldn't judge the entire movie on a few shoddy looking scenes, but yeah, the whole thing seemed like it was handled by amateurs. Amateurs with a shitload a money, but still amateurs.
>>
>>82890806
>If you can't prove that MoS beautiful then don't try.

Lol
>>
>>82890806
First guy you're responding to here.

I'm not a fan of Man of Steel at all but I am willing to admit it has some stunningly gorgeous cinematography at times. If you were to ask me, however, which I would rather watch right now between Avengers and Man of Steel, I would pick Avengers without a second's hesitation, even though I admit Avengers has some really amateurish cinematography in comparison.
>>
>>82890806
Marvel was being known for a piss poor cinematography and that is pretty much the only weak point of the franchise that Feige trying to fix.

They have a total opposit problem of DC's movie.
>>
>>82869231
No marvel movie did

It was only good as popcorn flick
>>
>>82881743

>It remains "Iron Man and his supporting cast of buddies who have strong feelings about Iron Man but really need him".

FTFY
Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.