[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MCU Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
Stark and Thor are the only two Avengers who earned their powers.

Stark, through sheer determination and willpower, created the Mark I to escape imprisonment, 'slavery', and eventual execution, the whole experience remade him from a war monger to a philanthropist through hard work, suffering, and hubris.

Thor was stripped of his honor, power, nobility, self, was banished from his home and family for his arrogance. Only though true noble sacrifice could he re-earn his abilities.

Cap, Vision, Spidey, War Machine, Ant-Man, Witch, Bucky, Hulk were all either gifted powers or accidentally granted them though science.

Which is more deserving? Those reforged by trial and tribulation, or those burdened by the weight of responsibility?
>>
why does either matter? what matters is what they do with it
>>
Agents of Shield not Canon
>>
Spidey made his webshooters, and Cap/Ant-Man demonstrated their worth similarly to Thor.
>>
Captain America had to prove to the government that he was worthy of being given the serum.

Hank Pym made the Ant-Man suit through science, so if Iron Man earned his, Hank did too. Then Scott earned the suit from Hank when he helped him prevent Cross from using his technology for evil.

Spidey's whole deal is that it doesn't matter how or why he got his powers, it's what he does with them. Since he has them, he has a responsibility to do good.
>>
>>82867524
Just as MCU Tony was wrong in this last movie, so too are you OP.

Though granted in part by SCIENCE!!! Steve earned his powers. He convinced the guy who created the formula to CHOOSE him over anyone else. He proved that he was the right one for the job above the military's best candidate. His willpower made it so that he was able to withstand the process that turned him into Captain America, which would have left him otherwise faceless and insane.
>>
>>82867524
This is a really pointless thread.

Just want you to know that.
>>
Cap was chosen for a reason which is kind of like earning it. Ant-Man too.
>>
Hawkeye? Black Widow? They both trained their asses off at the very least. And you could say that by learning to control it, Banner has "earned" his Hulk power. I'd also say the Ant-man had to prove himself to Pim, and Cap had to prove himself to the U.S. government.
>>
>>82867524
Cap jumped on the grenade. That makes him more deserving than anyone else.
>>
>>82867524
I miss the pre-IM3 armors so much

Now its all so over designed. Even the faceplates are different now.
>>
>>82867790
Isn't every marvel thread? There's pretty much no discussion, everything is just pointing out the obvious.

>This exists! Look at it!

OK? What now?
>>
This is why people hate mutants in the comics. They're bitter and they think mutants don't deserve their abilities.

It doesn't matter how they got their powers, what matters is how they use them.
>>
>>82867945
>>82867665
/thread
>>
>>82867927
>shit ton of threads arguing who was right
>no discussion
OK
>>
>>82867852
The fact that Pym watched Scott was weirder
>>
File: Iron Man Mark XLVI.png (2 MB, 1920x1544) Image search: [Google]
Iron Man Mark XLVI.png
2 MB, 1920x1544
>>82867921
I like that though; goes to show that Stark's gotten more mature about his role as Iron Man since IM1/2 and focuses more on function than fashion.

>inb4 some retard says they're less durable, completely ignoring that Mark 43/44/45/46 took a shit ton of punishment and trucked on with little damage.
>>
>>82868055
Who was right doesn't matter when the powers at hand can smack you for being right.

This is why most fiction has a pattern beginning of, "we killed the gods", because in the end, one person having power over others is unjust. Having power WITH people would be fair.

The only version of an Earth where super beings could exist would be if everyone were super. Then, if someone were born without powers, everyone would pick on them.

>You can't fly? What a loser.

As though its their choice not to fly or something.
>>
>>82868419
So My Hero Academia
>>
>>82867524
>I never watched Ant-man
>>
File: Syndrome_Close_Up.jpg (149 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Syndrome_Close_Up.jpg
149 KB, 1024x768
>>82868419
>>
Tony got some Arab guy to build his suit for him.
>>
>>82868631
Good, it sucks and fits with OP's point.

In the comics Scott stole the suit to help his sick daughter and Hank gifted it to him after seeing what a great job he did taking down Cross.

In the movie Scott steals it for personal gain and Hank forces him to wear it for an operation that neither he or his daughter can do.
>>
>>82868576
Essentially, yes. That's the main problem in both the marvel and DC universes. They mostly act as though certain things don't exist, like down syndrome or everyone's current favorite, autism.

Well, maybe not that they don't exist, but they just change "special" to "super" and everyone throws money at it. And yes, I understand that no one REALLY wants to acknowledge them. Its like putting homeless people or crack addicts into your art.

What gets me is how little detective work people who were reading "detective comics" are willing to do. Yes, no one likes a conspiracy theorist, but certain things are just too coincidental; such as the similarities between Robert Durst and The Sentry.

Who's to say a rich family wouldn't pay a particular medium to make a super hero of their one crazy, murderous uncle? He got away with a lot, just because he had "super powers", a.k.a. money.
>>
>>82869049
>Good, it sucks
Stopped reading there.
>>
>>82867524
Cap earned his through pure intent.
Scarlet Witch and Bucky earned theirs through sacrifice.
>>
>>82867665
The Government isn't the moral center of society, especially in the MCU.
>>
>>82868675
He's almost the same character as Iron Man, yet because Disney slapped the "villain" sticker on him, y'all don't want to take his words into consideration?
>>
>>82867607
Why isn't it?
>>
>>82869131
You could argue Mr. Fantastic is autistic.
>>
>>82869353
But who's rich autism funds the character in real life?
>>
>>82867524
It doesn't matter what someone deserves because life never gives anyone what they deserve.
What matters is what they do with what they have, no matter how they got it.

"Deserving" powers doesn't make you a superhero, but being a superhero makes you worthy of what you have.
>>
>>82869250
It never is, because no system is ever perfect, and the good ones require constant maintenance . Only certain facets and individuals are truly exceptional, but you can't carry a whole organization or country with exceptions.

Steranko's classic run with SHIELD and Fury underscored all of that. MCU's SHIELD's 'filters' just weren't as efficient.
>>
>>82870103
You know, my dad once told me that exceptional people are exceptional because the rest of us by definition are NOT.

I think there's something to that.
>>
>>82869873
Well if you personally buy comics?
Yours.
>>
>>82868419
>Having power WITH people would be fair
Except most people are too thick to understand and use power efficiently, or even safely.

That's why an actually democratic republic is superior to direct democracy.

>The only version of an Earth where super beings could exist would be if everyone were super
Depending on how super certain numbers of people are, there probably wouldn't be an Earth for very long.
>>
>>82869131
>They mostly act as though certain things don't exist
Because it's impossible to justify their continued existence with guys like Reed Richards and stuff like symbiotes. There's an absolutely ridiculous number of mediums through which cures for cancer, Alzheimers and paralysis could be achieved. Usually all at once.
>>
>>82869230
Of course you're allergic to reading, movie casual.
>>
>>82869314
>Tony Stark designs weapons and sells them to the US Government and other NATO weapons.
>Until his origin story he's a fairly average CEO, probably kind of morally bankrupt but no more evil than dozens of people IRL

>Syndrome nurses a grudge against a popular super hero who grew frustrated with his attempts to become a sidekick and seeks to outdo him in fame after superheroics are banned
>by tricking superheroes who just want to recapture the magic into helping him develop a super robot that he can 'defeat' after unleashing it onto a city
>if he's petty and venal enough to murder superheroes over a grudge will he refrain from selling his weapons technology from terrorists or dictators?

dude's Luthor tier, stop trying to pretend he wouldn't do anything other than give the rich one more boot to put on the neck of the proletariat.
>>
>>82869353
Self-diagoned himself already, dumbass
>>
Speaking of the MCU meta game, I wonder who is on the oversight committee to keep these movies in check. Like an Editor to look for plot holes and to make sure timelines don't overlap incorrectly.
>>
File: 1428179166075.jpg (259 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
1428179166075.jpg
259 KB, 900x675
Daily reminder that she did literally nothing wrong.
>>
>>82867945
No, they hate mutants because they are walking WMD's that have a tendency to go off and kill innocents. Just look at magneto. How many times EVEN AS A 'HERO' did he allow innocent humans to get massacred because they were the untermench? Mutants aren't analogies to civil rights, they really are nazi's. Some want to kill you on the spot, some will just throw you in a camp and the rest just want to take over.
>>
>>82867524
>Thor was stripped of his honor, power, nobility, self, was banished from his home and family for his arrogance. Only though true noble sacrifice could he re-earn his abilities.
Don't forget that he had to put up with Natalie Portman phoning it in, thats a trial in and of itself, she was almost as bad as Scarjo
>>
>>82872237
I never understood why the robot he "defeats" had to be the same super-intelligent learning robot he was using to murder superheroes.

Sure, getting it trained to kill heroes is one thing, but why put yourself out as a hero and fight it, expecting it to then throw the fight when it's not programmed to throw fights?
>>
>>82875860
Not to mention even the "good" ones accidentally kill people, intentionally or not.

Like when Cyclops, or someone with equally destructive powers appears, has his powers suddenly develop without warning, he's suddenly shooting giant laser beams out of his face he can't control. God help whoever is near him, especially if he's in a crowded city.
>>
>>82875860
>>82876134

I always hated the duality of mutants in comics - they're either raging murderous psycopaths who think the world is theirs to rule, even from a street gang level to some asshole that wants to rule the universe.

-or there these little innocent meek good-for-nothings who cower in fear like every other human in the background who apparently enjoy being dragged into the street and lynched

I get why a vastly large majority of humans would want some kind of preventative measure to prevent the former types just as much as I understand the plight of the little girl who was born with something mundane like polarized vision or the ability to talk to inch-worms doesn't want to be murdered like she was an inch from melting her neighbor's mind into goo.

That's where the mutant plots end for me. Do something different with it.
>>
>>82867524
hawkguy probably trained for years for those skills.
>>
>>82876944

Kurt Busiek's MARVELS had the best representation of mutant hate because it stems from the message of "Homo Superior" is the REPLACEMENT of humanity.

Superheroes are about Man pulling himself up and the ability to be better. Mutants are there to replace everyone. They're the future and humanity is just waiting for them to fill in the grave.
>>
>>82867524
Cap's power wasn't given to him randomly, he earned it by showing the gov't that he has the necessary character qualities to be able to use super powers responsibly.
>>
>>82867584
This.
>>
>>82877260
>The Gov'mt didn't find a little piss-nosed naive cuck they couldn't give a shit about to try the serum before testing it out on actual soldiers.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.