[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are memes ruining cartoons?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 19
File: 1460555573304.jpg (51 KB, 848x435) Image search: [Google]
1460555573304.jpg
51 KB, 848x435
Are memes ruining cartoons?
>>
>>82848917
I don't know what's worse, the fact that they used a meme outside of the internet, or the fact that that meme was outdated by the time they used it.
>>
>>82848977
Whats so bad about IRL memeing?
>>
>>82848917

No, bad writing and low budget is.
>>
>>82848917
No, hacks are ruining cartoons.
>>
>>82848994
They rely on already existing jokes rather than coming up their own, it sounds lazy when you describe it like that. Also, a meme is often a punch line to a joke so if you only see the punch line without knowing the joke itself then you are probably not going to find it funny.
>>
File: 1440609754486.jpg (41 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1440609754486.jpg
41 KB, 500x281
It just horrendously dates the cartoon. I'd say stuff like the original PPG and Edd, Ed, Eddy are timeless for the most part because while there's stuff like phones and appliances in them, its nothing that sets it in a certain time period.

The girls whipping out Iphones and referencing the concept of internet memes, not just references, will make this shit bizarre in a few years

Same with We Bare Bears, while I think that show is good, the same stuff applies
>>
>>82848977
The latter. It's not that they're using memes that's cringey, it's that they're using memes that are ten fucking years old.

If some random humor cartoon pulled a Wojack or even a Constanza out of its ass, /co/ would go insane.
>>
>>82848917
yes yes thats the problem with modern cartoons, only the memes
>>
>>82849180
>If some random humor cartoon pulled a Wojack or even a Constanza out of its ass, /co/ would go insane.

Seconded, remember when /v/ saw the box art for the new Ratchet and Clank game for the first time?
>>
>>82848917

Memes are ok so long as it's not JUST the meme. Like if it has something about it that makes it fresh or funny on its own that's ok, but when you go "HEY LOOK IT'S THAT THING THAT YOU LIKE ISN'T IT OH GOD PLEASE LIKE IT I WANT TO GO HOME INSTEAD OF WRITING ACTUAL JOKES" that it's terrible.

Like, cartoons have been referencing pop culture forever. The old looney tunes stuff is full of references to celebrities and movies of their time. And that's ok! It just...

It just needs to not be obvious lazy writing, basically.
>>
File: cracked.jpg (159 KB, 600x1348) Image search: [Google]
cracked.jpg
159 KB, 600x1348
>>82848994

They got a hella short lifespan. If you see a meme in mass media, it's probably already outdated

Also, they give people a (retarded) sense of inclusivity. Like, a meme will only be funny once you understand it, to people who aren't privy to the joke it'll usually be nonsense. But once everyone is in on the joke, it gets stale
>>
Here you go /co/ using this patented fomuoli you too can make a hit tv cartoon.

>use flash
>make sure to have at least 3 feamale main characters
>have a maximum of 2 idiotic and sexually repressed underage male main characters, the older the more idiotic
>Make sure there is some great evil
>have youngest male character cry at least once every episode
>spend entire budget on backgrounds and music
>make sure all dialoge seems to old for the youngest male character but to childish for the other characters
>more crying
>everybody cries
>threw in first world problems
>steal internet jokes claim it as references
>pitch it to CN
>???
>Huge profit
>>
File: I shiggery diggery doo.jpg (168 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
I shiggery diggery doo.jpg
168 KB, 700x700
>>82849337
>They got a hella short lifespan
You'd think that, but Pepe, Wojak, and Constanza are all like 4 years old at this point.
>>
>>82849365
Pepe jumped the shark about 3 years ago buddy.
>>
>>82849365
i'd say pepe is in the process of dying, more and more normies are getting their hand on him, ironically enough, and wojack is well known enough to hop on the same train soon. at least costanza is just a reaction image, the only thing associated with him is sarcasm and condescension.
>>
>>82849337
"The cake is a lie!" was never meant as a joke in the first place, it's the delusional scribblings of a schitzophrenic man trapped inside a genocidal machine. At best it was a little bit of black humor that this guy is trying to warn other people of what's already pretty obvious, but the atmosphere they were trying to invoke by putting filthy ratholes behind the pristine white science testing facilities, with crazed rants plastered everywhere on the walls, wasn't "LOL SO FUNNY! XD"
>>
>>82849403
I didn't say it was good, just that it was still alive in the land that created it.
>>
>>82848917
Memes killed reality.
>>
>>82848917
You know I'm not going to defend this, but it's funny how memes being used outside of 4chan triggers 4chan every time.
Especially if the memes aren't the current stuff.

To me it just makes it look like that's pretty much the only thing that people around here feel like they're experts in, which is pretty pathetic.

But I guess Internet humor is serious business and whatnot.
>>
>>82849416
Costanza is still gold just because people outside of here never really started using it. Interestingly I hardly ever see people say shiggy with it any more.
>>
>>82849365
Costanza is mostly dead
>>
File: 1459899310521.jpg (30 KB, 610x475) Image search: [Google]
1459899310521.jpg
30 KB, 610x475
>>82849480
>yfw if you try to shiggy people think you're doing John Oliver
>yfw they just scream "CURRENT YEAR" back in your face
>>
>>82849475
Hey man, you're projecting a little bit. /co/ just doesn't want lazy unfunny jokes in its cartoons.
>>
>>82849416
>soon
Where do you think youtube comments and facebook posts talking about "feels" came from?
>>
>>82849499
Oh good, the /co/ spokesperson!
I wouldn't be saying that if it was the first time this happened. /co/ seems fine with shitty jokes as long as they're not based off a meme, at least comparatively so.
Remember the No Me Gusta shitstorm? No other single shitty joke from nuPPG got as much talk around here.
>>
>>82849337
>bayeux in "the fall"
That belongs to the clever reashes category.
Some of the things that came out of it are insanely creative
>>
>>82849337
>not thinking "what's the deal with airline food?" is the pinnacle of standup comedy
Fail pic.
>>
>>82849416
>>82849480
so the only thing that determines that a meme is funny to you guys is if "normies" don't use it?
>>
>>82849480
I miss shiggy. I completely forgot it was a thing. Even for a year it wasn't even shiggy, it was a full sentence
>>
>>82849676
Now you're starting to get it.
When anon uses a meme, it's funny. When some fucking normie wannabe nerd reeee uses it, it's cringe.
Yes it's retarded.
>>
>>82849690
>I completely forgot it was a thing
ishygddt
>>
>>82849560
It's a lot easy to talk about a shitty joke when it's visual on an imageboard, memes are pretty visual.
>>
>>82849676
not exactly. some memes, personally, i never found funny. cuck, ayy lmao, JUST, i never got it. it's just stupid means of referring to things we already had words for and now we're gonna try and force memes out of it? memes stolen from tumblr? the fuck is this shit?
>>
>>82849724
You think that's the criteria here?
Because even compared to other shitty visual gags, it doesn't stack up.
>>
>>82849676

Yes. Think of it like, someone on black twitter or whatever says f.am and it's okay; when Ellen Degeneres uses it, it'll sound cringey
>>
>>82849702
Because most of the time people here understand when to use the joke and what it means, when it leaves 4chan it often just gets repeated to the point that it means nothing. Memes can get over used here when they're in vogue but nowhere near as heavily or consistently. Are you telling me you love to laugh at the same thing over and over without it getting stale? Well congratulations, some of us aren't goldfish.

Fuck me for liking a website I visit a lot and preferring it to other places, we can't all be super-cool counter culture guys like you anon.
>>
>>82849730
/tv/ and /pol/ memes never floated my boat either.
>>
>>82849783
>Memes can get over used here when they're in vogue but nowhere near as heavily or consistently. Are you telling me you love to laugh at the same thing over and over without it getting stale?
Counterpoints: Loss, Bane
>>
>>82849676
how would you feel if your mother started using memes to be like those hip internet kids
>>
>>82849783
>Because most of the time people here understand when to use the joke and what it means
Not really, no.

>Are you telling me you love to laugh at the same thing over and over without it getting stale?
That's literally the whole premise of a meme. I'm not a big memester but you're being retarded here.

Anyway did you miss the baneposting era? Or how currently you can't bring up India without POO IN THE LOO or blacks without WE WUZ...?
Yeah, those are some really funny memes, and not overposted at all.

>Fuck me for liking a website I visit a lot and preferring it to other places, we can't all be super-cool counter culture guys like you anon.
Well isn't that super ironic. 4chan is (orginally) counter culture compared to the rest of the web, not the other way around.

I prefer 4chan too but that doesn't mean I have to defend everything we do.
>>
>>82849816
Loss is usually used in a pretty creative context and it's not always immediately obvious so it gets a pass from me.
I've got to admit, I never found bane particularly funny.
>>
>>82849826
You're projecting intent here, I'd think normies use memes for the same reason as us: because they think they're funny.
Not to gain nerd cred by looking like they go on 4chan.
>>
>>82849218
what happened?
>>
>>82849829
>Well isn't that super ironic. 4chan is (orginally) counter culture compared to the rest of the web, not the other way around.

Oh really? When I got here there wasn't enough of a web culture that people cared about to be counter to, it was just an english speaking image board (The first image board most of us had ever been to) that had a similar attitude to most of the forums and ircs I frequented at the time.
>>
Though memes are annoying (no matter if it's on the internet or in reallife), they don't ruin cartoons. It's the producers who ruin the cartoons, not the memes.
If a producer is so unbelievably childish (in a negative way) to go ahead and put memes in their work, then I'm pretty sure it's safe to say they wouldn't even be capable of creating anything of quality either way; with the use of memes or without.
>>
Is "why the chicken crossed the road" the ultimate meme?
>>
File: normies.jpg (144 KB, 564x585) Image search: [Google]
normies.jpg
144 KB, 564x585
>>82849416
I'm glad that normies don't like(or even understand) wojack meme
>>
>>82848917
Nah ppg is just shit now
>>
>>82850199
Is there an edit that replaces wojack with a copy of the creep in the back?

If not, there should be.
>>
File: 1455982464638.gif (633 KB, 180x113) Image search: [Google]
1455982464638.gif
633 KB, 180x113
>>82848917
Lazy humor will always find a way and there will always be retards to lap it up. Memes are just the "references without jokes" of this generation.
>>
File: Picture_7.png (280 KB, 600x625) Image search: [Google]
Picture_7.png
280 KB, 600x625
>>82849365
You're saying that like it's impressive. All memes die eventually.
>>
>>82850494
I wonder when loss wil die.
>>
>>82850521
It was dead before it was ever born.
>>
>>82850494
That's a big lie.
>>
>>82849416
But so what if normies get the meme. Doesnt mean its still not funny.
>>
>>82848917
to be honest i have to wonder when people will get over mass-memeing.

i enjoy it, i babble gibberish, i find it interesting when normies i know in real life spout something i saw on s4s a year ago, but sooner or later everyone has to get back to their senses and stop loudly yelling nonsensical things from black twitter leaving nonsense where it belongs: on the internet.

it also ties into doing everything ironically. people will get bored of that eventually and just admit they like silly things. we can't keep up the idea of getting deeper into 'irony' and the insanity it brings (i ironically unironically meta-ironically post-ironically ironically like this low-quality movie unironically ironically, isn't that ironic?)

right?
r...right?
>>
>>82850198
Language is the ultimate meme.
>>
>>82848917
You've got it backwards. Lazy use of memes is a symptom, not a cause. It's not crap because it uses them, it uses them because it's crap.
>>
>>82850560
12-year-olds are constantly coming into existance. We can't stop this without drastic measures.
>>
Yes, focus all your attention on this show...
>>
>>82848917
OP's pic isn't meant to be a funny meme. It is meant to be funny because you don't expect memes to be in a televised cartoon. This stops working once you've seen it happen more than once.
>>
>>82849337
Interesting...
>cracked.com
Dropped.
>>
How's the general reception on this show, anyway? I know 4chan doesn't like it and neither does tumblr, but it's not like either of these are a big demographic.

I just want to know if they were made to notice how hard they fucked up.
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/10223386

>>82848917
Yes.
>>
>>82848994
Going to sound pretty pathetic here, but it's just a lazy way of creating in-groups and out-groups.
And nothing is more irritating than being in the out-group because you don't know about a stale Tumblr meme.
>>
>>82849599
Seinfeld never actually said this
>>
>>82850594
Whats wrong with cracked.com?
>>
>>82848994
it doesn't work, i know a guy that keeps spouting the john cena meme IRL and it just isn't funny without the music, the imagery and the loud sound. (that is if you find that funny to begin with)

>>82850605
it's getting some of the lowest rating on CN.
>>
>>82850834
They've flooded the site with garbage regulars who are both unfunny and extremely opinionated, which are two things that nobody wants from a Mad Magazine knockoff. I don't go onto the site to read "X reasons comics are for sexist pigs", followed the next day by "X reasons why all of the people who commented on my last article are mansplaining manchildren". I don't go to the site to read "X ways that my alcohol addiction and redneck lifestyle made me worthy of dispensing guru-like lifestyle advice". I don't go to the site to read fucking "X funny things that my cats did last night! LOL" or "X commentaries on video games from a man who has played maybe three or four games and somehow feels qualified to share their insights about them".
>>
cartoons should create memes but not use them
how can someone find/create new meme in new cartoon that already use existing memes
pointless, that's why i love old cartoons, i was able to find something cool or funny that i never see or hear before
>>
>>82850534

motherfucker.
>>
>>82850959
>I go on cracked
>I see what I always saw and not the SJW crap everyone and their dog say it's become now
>>
>>82849171

See, I think WBB manages something quite incredible, in that it's the first cartoon I've seen that, for the most part, gets modern life and internet culture completely right. It's not afraid to be set RIGHT NOW and while that's going to date it hard, I think it's going to be looked back on fondly like how Hey Arnold was clearly set right in the middle of the 90s but nobody particularly picks on it for that.
>>
>>82850834
Every thing. I dropped them when I saw an article written by literally who but I was already considering cutting them out for a few years.
>>
>>82850834

They wrote an article trivializing male rape and abuse.

That's when I dropped them.
>>
>>82850969
I agree with this, I don't particularly like cameos and references either often because it's fairly lazy but people absolutely salivate over them.
>>
Actually, the show had only 2 or 3 meme moments like those overall.
>>
>>82851348
>There's only one turd in the punchbowl!
>>
perhaps the memes that should be more encouraged are the flexible memes, the ones that depend on the poster's input. I find stuff like Pasha amusing because the point of it is to find more jokes by inserting him in new environments, not just making different versions of Pasha as different characters. The creation process requires creativity in order for your meme to thrive in the meme market, so anyone who wants to spam it will not ruin the whole meme, just an iteration of it.

t. Memeology expert
>>
>>82851324

wait what? can I get a link to that? that's some shit.
>>
>>82851411
Precisely, creative memes are good because they're harder to spam and they stay fresher.
>>
>>82848917
>Kano.jpg
Perhaps, a bit.
>>
Back in the day, before these things were created. Cartoons were, how do i put this? Funny. They haven't got anyone to stand by, they didn't need to impress anyone, and only mattered to make quality work. It is now were this originality, is becoming less less seen. This was nothing more than just waving keys in front of the impressionable youth say "WE ARE HIP, WATCH US" or it's just some stupid BS that is making the show you watch worse, because any publicity is good publicity i guess
>>
This is fake, right? There's no way they'd do that.

Right?
>>
>>82851670
>Bee and puppycat
I never saw anything that started off so good and ended up like it did.
The first episode artstyle was so fucking good it's not even funny
Then they turned the MC into chibi with a fucking raincoat so they didn't have to animate limbs
>>
>>82851732
I'm sorry anon.
>>
>>82851764
What was deleted?
>>
>>82851582

It was something like "10 Reasons Why Mens Rights Activist are Wrong" or something.

The jist of it was that feminism helps men too (even though they never say how or even point about any examples) so quit whining and endure it because equality. You probably deserved the abuse anyway because you're a disgusting cis-pig.
>>
File: file.png (30 KB, 1059x175) Image search: [Google]
file.png
30 KB, 1059x175
>>82851775
Ignore the cancer text
>>
>>82851823
No wonder it was deleted.
>>
>>82849171
That's why animaniacs sucked
>>
>>82852650
>animaniacs sucked
It had pretty good songs tho.
Also
>Begone, pests, and give me the bird!
>We'd love to, really, but the FOX censors won't allow it.

Fuck you i still laugh at finger prince
>>
>>82850959

The only real reason left to go to Cracked is Seanbaby's articles, IMO, and he only writes one once in a blue moon nowadays. I might be biased though, I've enjoyed his articles since the days when you had to go to his website to see them.
>>
>>82849365
>Pepe, Wojak, and Constanza are all like 4 years old at this point.
They've really overstayed their welcome.
>>
>>82852729
Doesn't Seanbaby also do their Silver Age comic edits? His Rex edits are 11/10. Although, You can can run, but nowhere is safe
>>
>>82849180
SU had sanic
>>
File: memes.jpg (235 KB, 640x720) Image search: [Google]
memes.jpg
235 KB, 640x720
>>82848917
Using memes as a part of a joke only works if the jokes still works outside the context of the meme.

Example A

In an episode of Gravity Falls, Stan runs for mayor and during an interview proceeds to spout all sorts of ridiculous and crass ideas like teaching kindergartners how to curse to prepare them for the real world or putting troublemaking teens on an island to fight to the death. The suggestions go over as well as expected, with Stan's approval rating plummeting and the internet making ridiculous memes mocking his interview.

The joke works because the joke is Stan's ridiculous suggestions and the meme image is just the last cap to the joke before the show moves onto the next scene. You can completely remove the meme and the scene is still funny.

Example B

In an episode of PPG, Blossom and Buttercup are trying to get Bubbles to go along with doing a beauty pageant and Bubbles doesn't want to. She says "no me gusta" and her face inexplicably changes to a memeface and... yeah, that's the entirety of the bit.

The joke doesn't work because it's only funny within the context of referencing the meme (and even that's debatable).
>>
>>82850594
This was from before they became Blacked and scared off half their core staff into making an entirely new website that vowed to go to both extremes instead of just radical leftism
>>
>>82851791
>The jist of it was that feminism helps men too (even though they never say how or even point about any examples)
http://blog.practicalethics.ox.ac.uk/2014/09/motte-and-bailey-doctrines/

So back in the medieval ages, the ignorant dirty peasants enjoyed living on good, fertile land with lots of flowers and wheat and frolicking and shit. But when other people came around brandishing swords and spears they all went fleeing into a cramped, ugly shitty damp castle that nobody likes but was utterly impenetrable, until the invaders eventually gave up and went away, and they could have their good land back, which is what they actually wanted all along. Nobody actually wants to live in the shitty castle, it just exists so that they can retreat there under stress, but for that purpose they love it and will gladly use it whenever necessary.
>>
>>82853193
That's an analogy, not an example.

It's still making the implication that men need/benefit from modern feminism without offering any evidence to support that claim.
>>
File: sb46-maze.jpg (254 KB, 610x858) Image search: [Google]
sb46-maze.jpg
254 KB, 610x858
>>82852729
>>82852937

That man is a gift to the world.
>>
>>82853277
I'm not sure you read that right anon. It's not an example for the argument, it's an analogy of the argument itself. It's not in support of it.
>>
>>82848917

>memes
no
>outdated memes that haven't been used since 2010
yes
>>
>>82853347
Even current memes date a show enormously though, memes have a very short lifespan.
>>
>>82853126
Bubbles face isn't even the right meme. That's the "No" face
>>
>>82849171
Exactly. You can still show kids Looney Tunes and not make it completely obvious that it was made quite possibly before their parents were born. Reference comedy works in the present but even assuming you were lucky enough to make jokes about things that actually stayed in the public consciousness it still gets less funny over the years.

Something like animation or vidya in particular gets hit by this hard given how long it can take for it to even be released. Conker's Bad Fur Day is a pretty great example of something that ended up being dated even by the time it came out, not even bringing up how it feels 15 years later.
>>
>>82849365
Baneposting lives on
>>
>>82849365

Pepe, Wojack and Constanza lived on because they're so morphable

Pepe and Wojack both much more morphable, but Pepe just looks better

Plus, he has now assumed his final form as Lord Kek
>>
>>82850834

They used to have some funny, interesting articles along the lines of "Hey, look at these weird/unexpected factoids you probably didn't know!" which was pretty cool

Nowadays they still occasionally have those, but much more they have

1. "Haha, look at me, I'm going to ramble on about bullshit for two pages. Aren't I WACKY?"

2. "I was an alcoholic and grew up poor, and I'm going to spout bland platitudes and conventional wisdom for two pages masked as sage advice."

3. Their coolest new feature - interviewing actual people in unusual situations - is so often wasted on shit like "I was raped and here's why it validates the site owner's politics" or "I'm a woman and here's why I validate the site owner's politics" or "I was totally, like, a MRA, man, and did you know they're basically the KKK?"
>>
>>82851085

They've dialed it back a bit recently, but it used to be really bad. Unfortunately, the SJW stuff isn't the only thing that was wrong with them
>>
>>82853126
Not a great example (that was a pretty shitty GF episode) but pretty solid analysis of when memes work or don't.
>>
>>82850831
He didn't but it's a joke about his observational style humor, specifically this bit
https://youtu.be/n0E7EaRLmSI
>>
>>82855773
Also this
https://youtu.be/v1cVl7KHsGA
>>
File: Spurdo nomad.jpg (83 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Spurdo nomad.jpg
83 KB, 500x500
>>82855589

This, the malleability of a meme is pretty important to its survival.

"Rage faces" as they came to be called were originally meant to be one-off punchlines to individual comics. When people started throwing whole comics together just featuring them, it didn't work because it felt like a series of disjointed punchlines, which is exactly what they were. It was like 3/4 of the joke was missing, in every comic, in every panel.

Things like Baneposting and Spurdo were pretty much always their own things. They have a formula, but they were never really meant to be contained to one thing. They're also very easily applicable to pretty much anything, to the degree that they never really go stale. Spurdo works particularly well, because it can be used on its own, to make light of something serious, or to accent some kind of bizarre scenario.
>>
>>82855846
Spurdo a shit. Retarded Fingols never came up with a good meme.
>>
>>82855760
They also used memes in Boss Mabel.
>>
File: The gondolascape.gif (1 MB, 680x551) Image search: [Google]
The gondolascape.gif
1 MB, 680x551
>>82855947

To each their own I guess, personally I love the Finnish stuff.
>>
Memes are just extreme topical humor and topical humor doesn't age well. Like let's take The Critic, a great comedy, but one filled to the brim of humor someone watching it who didn't grow up in or before the 90s will miss the vast majority of the jokes.

Of course memes aren't clever to begin with so there's that against them too.
>>
Lifecycle of a meme

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/tv-funhouse-anniversary-show/n11345
>>
>>82856196

memes aren't always topical. Take pepe for instance. The viral appeal of pepe is that, across cultures, across time, tons of people know and can relate to that simple expression on the face of the original pepe. It does a very good job at evoking a very familiar and universal feeling, while being a dumb absurd cartoon frog.
>>
>>82856395
People across different cultures can also appreciate the No Me Gusta face or the troll face or the feels face or many other meme reaction faces but they do go stale. Same with pepe even with the numerous variants.
>>
File: 1230554383236.jpg (41 KB, 375x447) Image search: [Google]
1230554383236.jpg
41 KB, 375x447
>>82848917
that's not a meme
it's an image macro
>>
>>82856496
That's because those memes aren't morphable, like Pepe is. Take away the wacky expressions on the meme faces, and it's just an unrecognizable face. Pepe is still the same recognizable character when he has a different expression. Pepe hits that sweet spot of being widely relatable, morphable and absurd. Because he's widely relatable, he can become very popular. Because he's morphable, people can change him to suit their in-group.
>>
>>82848917
You remember all those EXTREME cartoons and toys that were execs trying really hard to appeal to kids? It's not really far off, I mean that example is dated as fuck.
>>
>acknowledging that memes exist or a cartoon showing an in-universe meme/image macro
fine
>parodying or straight-up placing an existing meme in a cartoon just for a quick joke
usually shit
>>
>>82856588
That doesn't change the fact that Pepe can and will go stale, it just prolongs and delays the inevitable. Sure, people can say it'll be around forever and always funny, but they're kidding themselves just like the people who think Baneposting will be popular until the end of time are wrong.
>>
File: 1386352421920.gif (123 KB, 1000x337) Image search: [Google]
1386352421920.gif
123 KB, 1000x337
>>
>>82856680
i am so happy that the one stupid face fell out of use. It was everywhere all the time
>>
>>82856569
All image macros are memes but not all memes are image macros.
>>
>>82856744
>All image macros are memes
no they're not
>>
>>82856588
>>82856680
>implying Pepe hasn't gone stale years ago
"Rare pepes" where when people realized frogposters were dumb.

Something going stale doesn't stop people from posting it.
Now go back to knowyourmeme's comment section.
>>
>>82856680

> Things don't exist forever

astute observation there kiddo
>>
File: 1458684877105.png (504 KB, 1432x594) Image search: [Google]
1458684877105.png
504 KB, 1432x594
>>82856683
>4chan
>deep anything
>>
>>82856766
They pretty much are, yes.
>>
>>82856802
No, a meme is only truly stale when it's so unpopular that it's no longer posted and falls out of use.

Case in point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
>>
>>82856810
Tell that to the guy that says pepes have infinite staying power.
>>
>>82856898

You better point to one post in this thread where anyone said anything even close to that
>>
>>82856872
Stale just means it's lost its appeal to most people who liked it. There will always be some retards posting stale memes.
When your bread is stale it doesn't mean you don't have bread anymore.
>>
>>82855947
>spurdo a shit
Saatana
>>
>>82853082
To be fair, it's a Sanic joke in a Sonic the Hedgehog comic. An outdated meme can occasionally be forgiven if it's relevant to the franchise at hand and used outside of canon, as I'm assuming this was in one of those Off Panel strips.
>>
>>82848917
>Are memes ruining cartoons?

I'd say yes, but not because they're memes.

Because instead of writing an actual fuckin story, writers are lazy and just throw meme's and tropes everywhere and call it an episode.

That's just lazy.
>>
>>82857057
It was in the show, the episode steven the sword fighter. I thought it was fine though, its played off as one of stevens weird toys and it isnt on screen for more than a second.
>>
>>82848917
Talentless shitters are ruining cartoons, memes are simply their weapon of choice.
>>
>>82857115

Are you kidding? What cartoon even does anything remotely close to that? Even in the PPG cartoon, the meme was a ten-second joke that fell flat. Memes haven't replaced plot you cranky old bitch.
>>
>>82849171
Creating a snapshot of the time a cartoon was made in can be pretty cool if it's done well, though.
>>
>>82850534
Underrated fucking post
>>
>>82853126
THIS
>>
>>82848917
No, bad writers are ruining cartoons.
>>
>>82849416

I seen it being used mindlessly on facebook by people in their 40's. so yeah it's dead to me.
>>
>>82856683
I hate this comic.
>>
>>82849676
Yes.

If my mom started sending me rare Pepes on Facebook I'd kill myself.
>>
>>82856683
HIS HAND ISN'T EVEN TOUCHING THE KEYBOARD HOW IS HE TYPING
>>
>>82855537
Baneposting is too autistic to be corrupted by the normies.
>>
>>82857881
He's typing only with his left. The right is about to be otherwise occupied.
>>
>>82857196
Grow up
>>
>>82849802
Not even Baneposting!?
>>
>>82858432
Especially Baneposting.
>>
File: 1444349111369.jpg (16 KB, 503x558) Image search: [Google]
1444349111369.jpg
16 KB, 503x558
I have to say I legitimately like the Memeology discusstions this website sometimes has.
Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.