[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it going to fail or at least lose a lot of potential viewers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 226
Thread images: 17
File: Doctor_Strange_poster.jpg (150 KB, 259x384) Image search: [Google]
Doctor_Strange_poster.jpg
150 KB, 259x384
Is it going to fail or at least lose a lot of potential viewers because of the casting controversy?
>>
>casting controversy

That's not Iron Fist
>>
>>82837842
Pretty sure the average motherfucker doesn't care.
>>
I don't think most people know or care about the casting controversy. I've barely heard anything and I actually try to find comic related news.

What will hurt it is that it looks boring as fuck from the trailer.
>>
>>82837842
they molded this film for China box office success. This film can't fail with that alone.
>>
Its non controversy in the same realm as the non news that most of the casting of a film taking place in Africa is going to be black.

It'll be forgotten by the time the film comes out.
>>
No because only mentally ill people care about SJW nontroversies, the movie looks great and Eggs Benedict Cucumberpatch is a very well liked actor these days.
>>
File: 1459725033383.png (217 KB, 333x316) Image search: [Google]
1459725033383.png
217 KB, 333x316
>controversy
no one gives a shit about comics /co/
>>
I'm more excited for this than I am for any of the other comic book movies coming out this year.

I don't think that most moviegoers are going to be familiar enough with the Ancient One to care that he's being played by an androgynous middle-aged white woman instead of an elderly Asian man.
>>
>>82837887
George Takei recently had a huge rant about it on Facebook and he has almost 10 million followers.
>>
>>82837842
it was done because China forbids talk of Tibet to prevent protests that might encourage another Tianamen Square 2.0. So they had to change the name and actress to get the movie to be shown in China for that huge profit for the studio.
TLDR: casting made to appease chinese goverment censor board to show movie.
>>
>>82837842
What casting controversy?
Is Strange being played by a black man in white face?
>>
>>82837971
That follow him because he posts memes.
>>
>>82837842
pfhahahahaha
no
>>
>>82837842
>>
>>82837842
It might not do well but it will have zero to do with the casting controversy, any more than Black Widow's "monster" line was responsible for Avengers: Age of Ultron doing less well than The Avengers.

These controversies are nothingburgers in the larger scheme of things. They can affect a comic because a comic has almost no audience, but not a big-budget movie.
>>
>>82837992
Tilda Swan as The Ancient One. Whitewashing, blah blah blah.
>>
>>82837971
>Flamboyantly gay elderly asian
Point still stands. Normal people don't give a fuck and wonder why Batman wasn't in Civil War
>>
>>82837971
Nobody actually cares though. A few tumblr hambeasts might but outside that people will still watch the movie since the vast majority of viewers will be casuals and whatever race the actor's supposed to be won't even matter to them because they never read the comic to know.

Hell, the hambeasts will probably still watch it anyway because they eat the MCU up almost as much as they eat food.
>>
>>82837842

If GotG and Ant-Man can succeed, literally anything will, controversy be damned.
>>
>>82837988
The temple scenes are being filmed in Nepal though. That's most likely where it will be set.
>>
SJW's only care about "whitewashing" when it involves niggers, spics, and mudslimes. Asian people are excluded from the "diversity" agenda for some reason.
>>
>>82837842
Worst case it'll flop like Gods of Egypt best case it'll be be the new lowest grossing MCU movie.
>>
>>82838091
>Benebitch Cucrumble
>flop
fangirls will eat it up
expect GotG money
>>
>>82837842
>Is it going to fail or at least lose a lot of potential viewers because of the casting controversy?

No, it's still Marvel at the end of day, and if it's even slightly good, word of mouth will play in it's favor.
>>
>>82838090
Because whites don't have a problem with Asians.

We don't have a problem with Asians because they put in their fair share when they come over here and don't bitch for handouts or act like we owe them something.
>>
>>82837971
He also made it sound like he was the king of all Asians. The guy can be funny but that doesn't mean I'm going to buy into his shit.
>>
>>82837971

and if they'd have cast him or similar it would be "Grr, how dare mystical Asian be in movie."

He can choose to be willfully ignorant but there was no winning situation for this.
>>
>>82838134
That and it looks reminiscent of Inception based on the trailer. This will do quite well.
>>
>>82838090
>SJW's only care about "whitewashing" when it involves niggers and mudslimes
arreglado
>>
>>82837842
dont be daft, the people complaining are people that dont care about superhero movies to begin with.

They are trying to change things that they consider to be beneath them, not things they consume.
>>
>>82838090
Did you miss the Iron Fist shit? It was and still is at the point where literally any article about the show has to mention the race controversy at least somewhere in there.
>>
>>82837988
>So they had to change the name
Wait, what?
>>
>>82838068
>and whatever race the actor's supposed to be won't even matter to them because they never read the comic to know.
I sort of feel that there will be a vague sense that something is off even in the non comic-reading audience, when a man journeys from the west to the East to learn magic at a temple or monastery in the Himalayas...from a bald androgynous incredibly white woman. Especially if the story has to spend time justifying what she's doing there.
>>
File: 1452185604630.jpg (22 KB, 304x297) Image search: [Google]
1452185604630.jpg
22 KB, 304x297
>>82838090
>niggers, spics, and mudslimes

Wow, man

tone it down you fucking edgelord
>>
>>82838171

Koreans are good folk in the American South.
>>
>>82838211
>They are trying to change things
>Arguing against a change from the comics
Uh...bro? Do YOU read comics?
>>
>>82838134
His last movie did terrible. He's not that popular. Just because a bunch of fangirls love him doesn't mean auto bucks.
Dr. Strange is still a new concept. It is most likely to make 400mil like Antman at least.
>>
>>82838246
At this point I can't tell if you're actually a fag or just pretending to be one to get (you)s
>>
>>82838176
I actually do think it's better to have an ethnic stereotype than not, all things considered.

Like when they remake DUMBO it's better they should have the crows be positive black stereotypes than just take them out of the movie.

So yeah, it would be better if the Ancient One was still an old mystic Asian, but I think changing it will have 0% impact on the box office either way.
>>
Bullock's gonna get fired for this.
>>
>>82837971
Nigga, you don't just follow someone and just absorb all of their ideology.
>>
>>82838246
This isn't your safe space, fuck off queer.
>>
>the casting controversy is over some Literally Who side character and not this hideous uncharismatic alien playing Strange
>>
>>82837842
These "controversies" never matetialize into any kind of meaningful sales impact. Half the people who bitch about it go to see it anyway.
>>
>>82838317

It's not your safe space either, edgelord

YOU fuck off
>>
>>82838288
>Like when they remake DUMBO it's better they should have the crows be positive black stereotypes than just take them out of the movie.

Of for sure. But you tell that to be groups that would scream about them being stereotypes and stop their feet till Disney changed it like with Princess and the Frog.

And then not see the movie anyway
>>
it won't hurt Doctor Strange in the finance department, but it might effect the reviews, because SJWs are bias hipsters and will go in with a confirmation bias.
>>
>>82838310
Not five years ago, perhaps, but nowadays in today's current era of Progressivenessâ„¢ and #Zimmermanshotfirst, you can never be watchful enough.
>>
Wait till they get all upset that Wong is still in the film and is a "stereotype". Showcasing that the only way to play win this is to not fucking play the game.
>>
>>82837988
That was the writer's speculation, not the official reason given. From what I understand, they just wanted to try to step away from the "mystical Asian" stereotype and thought "Why don't we have this typically male character played by a woman, but then up the androgyny aspect?" They were trying to do something new with the character and get away from stereotypes, but they didn't account for people being stupidly sensitive. There really was no winning in this situation.
>>
>>82838382
>Not five years ago, maybe, but nowadays in today's current era of Progressivenessâ„¢ and #Zimmermanshotfirst, you can never be too watchful.

Even in this day and age people don't take social media to heart. Only people with no lives really pull life changing beliefs from Twitter post. The average normalfag just reads for a brief moment and go back to doing what the fuck they want to do.

Takei has 10 million followers because of his acting, not because of his social-politics.
>>
I hope the movie will be good. I've had a cursory interest for a while now but not enough to go out and buy some trades.
If I like this, I'll probably follow through and do it.
>>
>>82838508
There are no good Strange trades anyway so you're fine.
>>
>>82838504
The average normalfag is more prone to be a liberal than not. And since they have little exposure to all the agitprop furthered by SJWs, they're tabulas rasas just begging to be imprinted upon.
>>
I'm more concerned with all the 3rd eye bullshit that people will no doubt try to associate with the movie

Anyone else?
>>
>>82838278
This movie is much easier to market than Ant-Man. It has a less silly title and can be sold as both a superhero movie and a fantasy movie, bringing in two different demographics.
>>
When does SJW backlash ever make a movie tank? realize these people are the same as us, there going to bitch and moan about stupid shit but at the end of the day there still going to go buy a ticket and see it
>>
>>82838504
>Takei has 10 million followers because of his acting

No, he has 10 million followers because he has a crew of ghost writers who do nothing but post memes and puns on his Facebook page 24 hours a day.
>>
File: realistic rechid.png (1 MB, 852x854) Image search: [Google]
realistic rechid.png
1 MB, 852x854
>this thread
Way to stick up for comic accuracy over Hollywood bullshit, /co/.

>/co/ - "We only care about unnecessary race swaps when a white character is turned black"
>>
>>82838562
Damn it. What should I do if I like the movie and I want to read the comics?
>>
>>82838229
Her weird, pale, unisex look is other worldly and off-putting. You get the sense that the Ancient One is something more than human.
This isn't like the old days when people from the Far East were call "Celestial" because they were strange looking and exotic.
Comics in the 60s were written by guys who grew up in the 30s and 40s. Asians were the ultimate weird things. Pulps always had Chinamen as the big bad because they were unknowable and unearthly compared to the God fearing Anglo-sphere.

A Tibetan Ancient One would be cheesy and end up offending the exact same people who are acting mad about the whitewashing.
>>
>>82838594
The average normalfag leans more towards the left, they're not crazy insane liberals like the SJWs, they know when the argument reaches the absurd
>>
>>82838644
>3rd eye bullshit
I have no idea what on earth you are talking about.
>>
File: 1393050381291.jpg (19 KB, 256x271) Image search: [Google]
1393050381291.jpg
19 KB, 256x271
>>82838708
>answering the OP = being racist
>>
>>82838732
>A Tibetan Ancient One would be cheesy
Explain why.
>>
>>82838417
Still no
>>
>>82838728
Despair like the rest of us
>>
>>82838758
Google it
>>
>>82838667
It doesn't make a film tank, but it does force the executives who just saw all the posts on that magical colorful screen called "Phays-book" or maybe "Tuytoor" showing costumers upset because something something, and so they phone the writer and the director to start making a whole series in the film because PR PR PR PR PR.

And that's when the director isn't a die-hard liberal himself.
>>
>>82838708
It wasn't even unnecessary, it's a no-brainer business decision. The controversy of having a Tibetan character would hurt the box office in China way more than this manufactured outrage will hurt it in the US.
>>
File: Selection_001.png (351 KB, 625x550) Image search: [Google]
Selection_001.png
351 KB, 625x550
>Keanu reeves will never be Dr. Strange
>>
>>82837842
Absolutely not. There will be some think pieces, lots of tweets, but to the average movie goer it won't matter
>>
>>82838780
Why would a mystical Fu Man Chu looking old master be cheesy?
It's playing straight into the same category as the Magical Negro.
>>
>>82838317
You're right, this isn't that type of place.
When you say things like that here, nobody gets mad, you just come across as a child.
>>
>>82838732
>Her weird, pale, unisex look is other worldly and off-putting.
But are they really going for that angle? I can take based Swinton playing an androgynous, otherworldly and queer (in the original sense of the word) Ancient One, but if they're just going to have Swinton play a pale chick, then I would shake my head at just about another great actor wasted by the MCU's policy of playing it safe.
>>
>>82837842
Nope. For reference, liberals love to whine about how one in five women gets raped in college. And yet, female enrollment in colleges didn't drop one iota, even though apparently it's more likely for women to be raped in college than in prison.

Conclusion: nobody gives a fuck about SJWs.
>>
>>82838768
see
>>82837884
>>82837918
>>82837992
>>82838090
>>82838211
>>82838470
>>82838667
OP says "casting controversy" and a huge chunk of the thread simply assumes that the only people who would have a problem with it are SJWs who don't read comics.

Barely any of it acknowledges the possibility that actual fans of comic accuracy might be bothered by the change. Now imagine if OP said the same thing if the picture was of Human Torch from the new F4 movie before it came out.
>>
>>82838921
>Why would a mystical Fu Man Chu looking old master be cheesy?
something something racism

something something patriarchy

something something donate to my patreon
>>
>>82838840
It's in Nepal though.
>>
>>82838939
She's bald for gods sake! Yes, its obvious they are deliberately playing on her weird looks for effect.
>>
>>82838732
>A Tibetan Ancient One would be cheesy and end up offending the exact same people who are acting mad about the whitewashing

The problem is that if they had a heroic character who was Tibetan, the movie wouldn't even be released in China.

This is a political issue in the US, but keeping it comics accurate is an even bigger political issue in China, and since a huge amount of MCU profit comes from China, this is the lesser of two evils.
>>
>>82838661
But fantasy movies do terrible if they don't have a preestablished fan base.its not gonna outgross any other MCU movie outside Antman if it does then ~party horn~.
>>
>>82838939
No. They got the weirdest looking actress possible and shaved her head all by accident.
>>
>>82839012
Close enough as far as the chinese government is concerned. While Deadpool did amazing without china. Marvel isn't making a movie on a 60 million dollar budget. It needs to hit the chinese market which means kowtowing to the chinese government.
>>
>>82839013
>bald
Oh, bald, yeah, like that stopped the makers of that movie about an ayy lmao monster chick with a tail being banged by Adrian Brody.

When they dress her up like they did in Constantine, then we can talk.
>>
>>82839119
if that was the case why wouldnt we be re-establishing the legitimate chinese government, who would be significantly friendlier to us AND our media?
china just bootlegs.
>>
File: Bhutanese Monks.jpg (92 KB, 444x296) Image search: [Google]
Bhutanese Monks.jpg
92 KB, 444x296
>>82838921
>Why would a mystical Fu Man Chu looking old master be cheesy?
How about make him look like an actual Himalayan man then, and not some 60's white guy imagining of one? And avoid China controversy by having him be Nepalese or Bhutanese instead. Ancient One's abode has moved around a bit in continuity anyway.
It's not that hard.
>>
Asians aren't pissed off enough to protest, or threaten to burn down theaters.

>>82837971
What Marvel roles should George Takei be cast as?

>>82838176
No. There is no solution that would completely avoid bitching, however it's still very winnable.

>>82838732
No. It would be offending a different set of people, not counting the people who are triggered about absolutely everything..

>>82839012
It's close enough to trigger the chinese communist government.
>>
>>82838175
>the guy can be funny

Nah
>>
But Kevin Feige played damage control. He said there's no political motivation. Basically, the same crowd who poopoos their pants if a white character is cast black is now crying that a character has been made white. Which is amazing to be honest. When you see these inconsistencies in argument, you can know for sure you're dealing with liars, hypocrites and idiots
>>
>>82839305

>avengers 3, starring george takei as george takei
>>
>>82837842
Casting a woman who in addition to being a really pretty versatile and great actor also runs a Scottish school that indoctrinates children into Theosophy, the cult that believes pale, blue-eyed and especially green-eyed (because of their relative rarity) individuals have the most pure souls and are highest on the evolutionary/reincarnatory tree because Rudolf Steiner thought racist gnomes had revealed the secrets of the universe to him?

I mean, sure, that's controversial, but I don't see America turning on the Theosophical movement, the Steiner-Waldorf educational system it created for the sole purpose of indoctrinating children (in a fun learn-when-you-feel-like-it soft cult environment) or anything like that. Why would they turn on one movie she's in just because she's inadvertently been given a role that plays up to the bullshit she actually believes?

People didn't stop going to see Tom Cruise movies just because of Scientology being weird, did they?
>>
>>82839234
>avoid China controversy by having him be Nepalese or Bhutanese
Why even take the chance? China doesn't even need a good reason to ban shit, just stay far the fuck away from anything that will piss them off. There's too much money at stake. Make the Ancient One a weird pallor man/woman thing. There.
Plus she's a better actor than all the popular Nepalese and/or Bhutanese actors combined....which I guess isn't hard...
>>
>>82839508
That's fucking weird
>>
>>82837842
No. You're seriously overestimating just how many people actually care. The people offended by that type of shit make up an incredibly small portion of their normal audience. Probably less than 1% honestly.
>>
I just want a good movie. Not sure that's what we'll get.
>>
>>82839386
But the same thing applies to /co/ in the other direction.
>>
>>82837842
I kind of want it to fail so no more weird magic shit gets introduced. Thor and the infinity stones already nailed that kind of thing.
>>
>>82839596
Marvel don't make bad movie
>>
>>82839671
what is Thor 2
>>
>>82839671
No but they have had a track record of bland uninteresting ones.

Especially when they deal with "magic".
>>
>>82838873
ABSOLUTE
>>
>>82839696
It wasn't bad

Not everything can be as successful as Avengers or Iron Man
>>
>>82839588
Dubs don't lie.

Seriously though, most people don't give a shit. I'm sure they've heard about it but ultimately it probably won't effect their choice to see the movie at all.
>>
It's kind of funny that I only see people bringing up the race change and not the gender change.
>>
So does Stephen Strange learn the mystical arts in England or something

Seems odd to encounter a white person in the east
>>
>>82839843
Gender swapping is ok most of the time. Especially when the character is more of a plot device than an actual character
>>
>>82838697
>do nothing but post memes and puns on his Facebook page 24 hours a day.
In the Internet Age, that's power.
>>
>>82839843
An ultra small minority are applauding the change from man to woman, but nobody is giving a fuck.

>>82839895
Come on Xcom, the actress is playing an ayylamos. Keep up or its Advent day.
>>
>>82839895
t. sheltered whitey
>>
Remember when nobody saw Guardians because of that list of hot superchicks he made?
>>
>>82837971
It used to be thought that a single letter represented a hundred or a thousand people who thought the same but didn't write in.

These days you could pretty much reverse that metric. 10 million online whiners represents maybe a few hundred paying customers.
>>
>>82838960
People who read comics are not even 1% of the movie's audience.
>>
>>82838960
>actual fans of comic accuracy
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>82840072
Well how the fuck are they going to understand what's going on
>>
>>82840108
what the fuck is exposition?

are you a fucking ass?
>>
File: canvas.png (208 KB, 853x451) Image search: [Google]
canvas.png
208 KB, 853x451
>>82837842
If Ant-man became a huge success in spite of losing it's director/screen writer Edgar Wright I doubt Dr.Strange will be shaken up any
The train isn't stopping.
>>
>>82840169
I have been going to see cape movies with friends but they don't read the books and they always ask "Who is that" or "what is going on "
>>
>>82837842
It will either be a huge flop or an Ant-Man style success
>>
>>82840217
your friends must be retarded since everything is literally spelled out in the movie every single time
>>
>>82840217
blame that on your friends being idiots and asking you questions instead of watching the movie, not on the movie not explaining itself.
>>
>>82840217
>someone turns to ask "what's that" while they're explaining it onscreen and now they've missed it
>if I answer they'll miss something else
>>
>>82840265
Batman v Superman did NOT explain itself
>>
>>82840307
You need to watch the seven-hour cut.
>>
>>82837842
It didn't when they made white guys black, I don't see why it would now. Especially since it's asians getting fucked, nobody gives a shit about asians.
>>
>>82840374
>nobody gives a shit about asians.
Hollywood producers do
>>
>>82840345
The George Lucas special edition will make it all make sense.
>>
>>82837842
No one cares about the controversy besides the few SJW
>>
>>82840413
Is that the one where Batman goes to prison and gets raped?
>>
>>82840413
They're going to add more...dreams?
>>
>>82840451
Also people who like accurate adaptions of comics.
>>
>>82837910
It's a teaser and the director said they haven't shown any of the trippy magic yet
>>
>>82840489
you hated civil war i take it?
>>
>>82840515
No, Civil War was a garbage comic I hated, an accurate adaption of that would have been similarly garbage.
>>
>>82840515
Yes it was bad because it didn't have the Fantastic Four or Daredevil or Luke Cage

Infinity Gauntlet will be shit, it will have a complete cast of 7 people
>>
what's the controversy?
>>
>>82840595
As comics creator Stan Lee put it, "Those niggers fucked up the source material again"
>>
>>82840593
Shouldn't you be in another thread complaining about Gwenpool?
>>
>>82840595
They cast some asian characters with white actors.
>>
>>82840729
but is there a black guy?
>>
>>82840790
Yes
>>
>>82840790
Yes.
>>
/co/ could at least make the token effort of pretending to care when the person isn't white. I mean back when it came out at least someone managed to make one bane race change thread just to stay honest
>>
File: Ming the Merciless.gif (63 KB, 312x234) Image search: [Google]
Ming the Merciless.gif
63 KB, 312x234
The only part that baffles me is that they replaced the Ancient One with an immortal Celt, but have her living in the Himalayas anyway.

I really don't have a huge issue with the whole Celt thing at all, but why not have Strange meet the Ancient one in mystic Avalon or something more appropriate.

The way it is now, it sort looks like Tilda snuck up into the monestary, clubbed the old coot to death and stashed him in a closet.

Goes to show how much influence the Chinese are exerting on Hollywood's casting choices.
>>
>>82840930
It doens't matter when a non-white gets changed to white. Only the other way around. Get with the program.
>>
>>82840987
but what about comic accuracy, the thing this is totally about?
>>
File: 1459922834731.png (1 MB, 1500x736) Image search: [Google]
1459922834731.png
1 MB, 1500x736
>this movie will fail
>>
File: Mandarin.jpg (411 KB, 1680x800) Image search: [Google]
Mandarin.jpg
411 KB, 1680x800
>>82840987
Oh bullshit. /co/ lost it's shit when Sokka and Katara were whitewashed.

Did some SJW say something mean to babby?
>>
File: Aygohr.jpg (9 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Aygohr.jpg
9 KB, 320x240
>>82841051
>but what about comic accuracy
>MCU
>comic accuracy
>>
So I don't get it. A character gets race changed to white and /co/ is just like "stupid SJWS get over it" but a white character is changed to black and /co/ loses its shit.
>>
>>82841141
Only white accepted

No colreds
>>
>Nick Fury gets turned black
>"fucking jew Marvel doesn't want to lose the black demographic"
>Ancient One gets turned white
>"Marvel just doesn't want to lose the chinese demographic! It's a business decision you tumblrinas!"
>>
File: Banner Ruffalo.png (164 KB, 354x252) Image search: [Google]
Banner Ruffalo.png
164 KB, 354x252
>>82841141
In either case it's just some noisy little bitches finding something new to bitch about.

Most of us are just happy to see someone talented get cast. Too often "guy who looks like character" is a terrible actor.

Also, you don't see it with main characters. They could make Clea non-white and who would really give a fuck?
>>
>>82841141
But nobody's losing it over Mordo.
>>
>>82841219
Literally nobody said that. The reaction was "oh, it's Ultimate Nick."
>>
File: Kingdom Come.jpg (486 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Kingdom Come.jpg
486 KB, 1600x1200
>>82841219
Marvel doesn't want it's Cinematic face to be the "Angry Whitecrackerverse" like pic related.

It helps that they were introducing black supporting characters back when DC was still obsessing over pubescent sidekicks.
>>
>>82837842
>casting controversy?

Extremely Vocal minority OP. It will probably do 700mil. The only question is if this or Suicide Squad will do more
>>
>>82838960
>Barely any of it acknowledges the possibility that actual fans of comic accuracy might be bothered by the change

I'm sure they are but the comic fanbase is already tiny. The percentage of that tiny amount that give a shit about strange won't even make 1% of the films audience. They're irrelevant
>>
>>82839730

>Thor 2 wasn't bad

Yeah. It was.
>>
File: 1360208048389.jpg (118 KB, 600x325) Image search: [Google]
1360208048389.jpg
118 KB, 600x325
>>82841054
A Serious Man is one of my favourite movies.
>>
>>82841583
no, it really wasn't bad

we've all seen bad movies. Bad is like Man of Steel, or Fantastic Four for example

Thor 2 is still like a solid 7/10
>>
The SJW movement is a fractured collective of selfish factions that would sooner eat each other alive if it served their cause just a tiny bit more than another group.

The "drivers" of the SJW shame/protest machine will silence the back-seaters and, to put it bluntly, the drivers are predominantly women.

>Change a minority to a white
-1 SJW Point

>Change a male to a female
+1 SJW Point, +1 Smash tha' Patriarchy Point, +1 Grrrrrl Power Point

>Replace a likely straight (or sex-neutral) with an androgynous character
+1 SJW Point, +1 We're Here We're Clear Point

Unfortunately Asians within the SJW movement are marginalized, so they don't have bonus points.

Also, Marvel hedged their bets by Black-Washing Baron Mordo. (+1 SJW Point, +1 Blacked Point, +1 You're a fuckin' White Male Point)

Lastly, Cumberbumble has a strong amount of female support. Even though he doesn't get any official SJW Points (unless he comes out of the closet) he does earn a +1 Sqweeeee Point.

>Grand Total: 8 Points = SJW Approved
Takei is just pissed because he wanted a payday.
>>
>>82837842
most people dont read comics and even I who do read doctor stranges comics, dont care at all about black mordo and female ancient once. if they do their part, im fine with it. is /co/ trying to force another tumblr meme?
>>
>>82842338
It wasn't bad but it wasn't good 7 is very high. It is 6 at highest
>>
>>82840413
E V E R Y T H I N G R H Y M E S
S
O

D
E
N
S
E
>>
>>82837910
>What will hurt it is that it looks boring as fuck from the trailer.
You sure? Because even my mom is interested in the film because of that trailer.
>>
After Ant-Man, I don't have any fears of this movie doing terribly in theaters. I mean, that first trailer was BAD and SWJ's were so angry about the film for not being a Black Widow film...and yet the film earned enough to gain a sequel. We're talking about a film where the original director left before shooting less than a year before completion and the premise was "Ant-Man".

I have no worries about Dr. Strange doing well. I am a little bit thrown off with Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One, but I'm sure I'll get over it. I'm still wondering how they will define Magic as China doesn't approve of films of superstitious nature.
>>
>>82838068
>Hell, the hambeasts will probably still watch it anyway because

Of Cumberdink Benderbatch.
>>
>>82837910
Agreed.
>>
>>82841545
Yea... the fan base isn't that small--the comic-reading online buzz around a movie is one of the best indicators of whether any of these blockbusters will have life after the first three days; see BvS, F4s, etc.

The thing is, we basically got race-change-outrage for non-MAJOR characters out of our system with Idris Elba. It isn't that "people who care about comics aren't even 1%" as much as "people who care about comics AND give a shit about the Ancient One being an androgynous white-ish woman instead of a magic old Asian man instead of is less than 1% of that, and half of them will watch the movie anyway."
>>
>>82840451
The asians give a fuck, but they're not going to go full on rage mode.

>>82841203
back of the bus with you, imitation /pol/.

>>82843466
Right. How central the character makes a difference.. This is closer to race swapping perry white level.
>>
>>82837887
No. People are going to see it because it's Marvel. They just need to put out an interesting trailer. The one they showed was kind of boring.
>>
>>82842587
I really like this point system.
>>
Any Tumblrina who might boycott it due to the whitewashing will still see it because they turned a male character female, a whitr character black, and the main character is played by tumblr favourite biddlesnitch crumplebitch. Average audiences don't give a fuck, and most comic fans I know think it looks great. It'll do just fine.
>>
File: wong.jpg (130 KB, 715x1000) Image search: [Google]
wong.jpg
130 KB, 715x1000
>>82840729
I thought it was one character and they specially did to appease the Chinese
>>
>>82842587
they made a potential super-villain black and I've told many times that this wouldn't happen because it would seem racist. When it does happen, it's somehow a point for SJWs and the left?
>>
>>82837842
>Marvel movie that isn't Cr4ptastic
>flopping
>>
>>82837842
>any normie giving a shit about race shenaniganry
Yeah right. They say they care to get points with the current "racism is bad mmkay" hashtag and then quit thinking about it. If GotG can make dosh, Dr. Strange will be fine.
>>
>>82838192
They care if someone is using makeup to look like a calaca and doesn't have a bigote.

which is the most retarded caring ever, but someone has to fill in that retarded hole.
>>
>>82845771
That nigga aint chinese, that's just that snapchat filter.
>>
>>82846607
What fucking filter is that, Cystic Acne?
>>
>>82837842
If your talking about the ancient one blame china
>>
>>82846533
Shit even Big Hero 6 made money and they've only had like to minis and a shitty run
>>
In the year 2100, all movies will be acted by blue-green-yellow, bald, genderless CGI creatures to keep anyone from being offended.
>>
>>82841141
In case you're not baiting and are a new poster genuinely confused about this I'll explain the dichotomy for you.

The whole thing is a sham, it's one group of people who pretend to be both sides of an argument depending on how it suits them because they have fun that way. All power to them but regular people find this boring and so learn to ignore it and stop visiting threads about it, hence why every single movie thread you visit on this board is full of shitposting.
>>
>>82838278
Imitation game or that one with Julian Assange and the shitty accent? Because neither were really designed to be blockbusters.
>>
At this point Marvel could make Black Panther with an entirely white cast and still make $700m off it
>>
>>82837842
No, but I think it will be the first MCU movie to get bad reviews because of this controversy.

Reviewers are gonna blast it because of the whitewashing stuff.
>>
>>82841308
And look where we are now dc has auctual organic diversity and marvel has to shove it in our faces to make up for how shit they are at it
>>
>>82850479
I'd watch that just to find out what the hell they were thinking.
>>
>>82850489
...while they blackwashed a white character.
I would like some Asians in prominent roles, though.
>>
>>82850479
>>82850538
>It's a well governed country in Africa, the fact that its populated by Africans IS the surprising thing.
>>
Thank god PC faggotry is only a thing in cuck countries like the US and Germany, and the rest of the world doesn't give a shit.
>>
>>82850565
Now now. The German colonies were very well-disciplined and they were full of Africans.
Hell, the Askari were the last fighting troops of the German army.
>>
>>82850580
Wait a second, since when is Germany about PC shit?
Last time I looked it was the Brits who had universities full of SJWs.
>>
>>82850595
True, also the Union of South Arica and Rhodesia were also examples of well governed states, now look at current South Africa and Zimbabwe.
>>
>>82841054
Is that the Pink Ranger?
>>
>>82838873
FUCK
>>
>>82838873
>Not as many as four tens
That's terrible.
>>
I mean Cumberbatch isn't the best actor but I guess he could play an alright Strange. What's the fuss about
>>
>>82850930
Tilda Swinton is what it's about.
>>
>>82837910
>>82843066
>What will hurt it is that it looks boring as fuck from the trailer.
>You sure? Because even my mom is interested in the film because of that trailer.

I think the trailer works for a different kind of viewer. I liked it. On the first glance it promises a mind-bendy movie about occult, spiritual awakening and search for truth as metaphor. Something like a very accessible version of Holy Mountain if you will. I'm sure I'll be very disappointed, but the trailer got me interested in the movie while last, I dunno, five Marvel movies left feeling kinda bored.
>>
>>82850453
They both weren't well received, my point is CumBumpster =/= autobucks or rave reviews.
>>
>>82837842
>Controversy, ever effecting the box office in anyway other than positively
>>
>>82839508
You sure? I can't google even one article linking Tilda to theosophy.
>>
>>82839671
I kinda agree. At worst they're just "meh".
>>
>>82841583
Loki was actually great in that movie. He seemed the most like Loki in his scheming there than any other MCU movie before. Had a pretty good funeral scene for Frigga too, so I wouldn't say the whole thing was just "bad".
>>
>>82843160
>SWJ's were so angry about the film for not being a Black Widow film
There people that actually care for Black Widow? Am I the only one who finds her boring as hell? Do you guys think she is capable of carrying her own movie?
>>
>>82838339
>no u
>>
>>82837842
Nah, it won't. It generally doesn't.

I mean, the reason that Fantastic Four lost a lot of viewers wasn't because Torch was black, it was because it was a fucking dreadful movie. If the film was good, you'd be seeing black Torch everywhere now.
>>
>>82837842

Most people don't care about shit like that. They don't read movie news or easily forget them. They want to watch a trippy superhero flick with good actors in it. Which Dr. Strange probably will be.
>>
I feel like after GotG and Ant-Man, "Is it going to fail" shouldn't be part of the possible argument anymore. Especially for something as retarded to complain about as this
>>
>>82845904

Makes perfect sense. SJWs / Progressives are the most retarded things on this planet.
>>
>>82837842
I'm not going out of my way to watch it because I don't appreciate magic.
>>
>>82841223
>They could make Clea non-white and who would really give a fuck?
I would love an ebony waifu in the MCU that isn't Wakandan Ubermensh.
>>
>>82837842

I am more excited about this than the next Avengers, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, whatever coming out.
>>
>>82850565
Botswana is doing alright
>>
>>82837842
It was just a cynical move to make sure the movie does well in China while they say "oh look, one of the wisest and most powerful characters in the Marvel Universe is a woman now"

I hate it but I'll just have to see it to make an opinion on it. I still don't like Heimdall being black or Perry White being black but I still thought Elba and Fishburne did great.
>>
>casting a well known actor/s
>reeeee why don't they do it like the comics! aka marvel wiki
do those people who pull the race card not know how business work?
>>
reminder that you can only enjoy this movie on 3D
how does 4D work? does it make you feel that youre hovering in the air like Strange?
>>
>>82838171
>Because whites don't have a problem with Asians.
That's because we Asians keep our mouths shut when we are abused, and just have our revenge later, preferably in ways makes it impossible for you to know it was us. We hold a grudge much better than than you think, we just don't SHOW it.
>>
>>82838873
CAUSE IM ALL MESSED UP
>>
>>82838476
they can win if they just do what the comics did. they can shrug and say its a wise old asian man in the comics and we based it on the comics. aas soon as they make some decision to deviate from the source material, they become open to specific criiticisms. the whole getting away from stereotypes thing is fake as shit anyway and no one wants that. we all want the white male hero and his funny black sidekick following the advise of the wise old asian kung fu guy fighting against the evil white or arab male villain. if disney wants our money they should make it the way we want. the way stan lee intended. racist and stereotypical as fuck. then they can blame it on stan lee, and he wont give a shit.
>>
>>82856691
>if disney wants our money they should make it the way we want. the way stan lee intended. racist and stereotypical as fuck. then they can blame it on stan lee, and he wont give a shit.
If it is between your money or getting approval to screen the film in China, your money isn't worth it.
>>
>>82856723
thats fine but as soon as they make a change like that, they are opening themselves up to criticism from every angry sjw about the race of every character. they are taking on the controversy and no win situation of trying to please sjws who cant be happy no matter what so that they can make some extra money from the chinese market.
Thread replies: 226
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.