[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can you make Superman interesting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: gooperman.jpg (66 KB, 350x396) Image search: [Google]
gooperman.jpg
66 KB, 350x396
How can you make Superman interesting?
>>
>>82775603
Just portray him the way the Animated Series does. Maybe less jobbing too.
>>
>>82775603
adapt the source material
>>
Adapt silver age Metropolis and Superman faithfully, but at the same time write an actual creative totally new story, don't just try to be faithful to some multiverse or prevent existing story.
>>
>>82775603
Interesting is subjective. If someone don't want to like Superman, nothing you can do will make him "interesting"
>>
>>82777719
pre-existing*
>>
>>82775603
Write a good story while maintaining respect for (though not necessarily loyalty to) the prevailing source material.

Superman's arch-nemesis is his writer.
>>
>>82775603
He's pretty interesting. I liked the Braniac story by Geoff Johns.
>>
>>82778040
The story by Curt Swan and George Klein wad my favorite Brainiac
>>
Give him psychedelic drugs. Or you could give him problems that he cannot solve with powers. What if Superman had to choose between Rei and Asuka?
>>
>>82775603
Make him like goku and actually show him training. I know he trains but it's not protrayed enough for people to see how he struggles.
>>
>>82775603
Remember Byrne's run? Just go off that. Fuck all that not a character but a symbol, represents the greatest in us all, light in the darkness bullshit, because shit like that only works for mini-series or short else-worlds. Just give me the wholesome son of Kansas at a reasonable powerlevel.
>>
>>82775603
Give him multiple nipples that form the shape of a heart on his chest.
>>
>>82775603
To quote Morrison:
>American writers often say they find it difficult to write Superman. They say he’s too powerful; you can’t give him problems. But Superman is a metaphor. For me, Superman has the same problems we do, but on a Paul Bunyan scale. If Superman walks the dog, he walks it around the asteroid belt because it can fly in space. When Superman’s relatives visit, they come from the 31st century and bring some hellish monster conqueror from the future. But it’s still a story about your relatives visiting.
>>
>>82781926
Honestly I've been wanting to see Superman train under red sun radiation to strengthen himself, and maybe in Kandor if that's still a thing.
>>
>>82784703
Anyone else read Ultra-Humanite's lines in Grant Morrison's voice? I've been going through Golden Age Superman and that's all I can hear.
>>
>>82775603

its already hard to make him interesting in his own movie but it is way harder to implement him in a team movie because its obvious people would think superman can solve everything alone and there is no need for other JL members. Its no different for other cinematic universes, like for x-men DoFP where they wrote out Quicksilver halfway through the movie, almost every character in the MCU got nerfed or just don't use their powers like they could, I really was hoping for bigger fight between Vision and SW but they almost did nothing. I wouldn't be suprised if he remains death until the end of JL1 because it is easier to write a conflict with the remaining cast.
>>
>>82775603
Have him rape Lex Luthor.
>>
>>82784703
>walking the dog and having relatives = problems

I guess that's what people should expect from a drug addict privileged British writer.
>>
>>82782100
>Fuck all that not a character but a symbol
>shit like that only works for mini-series or short else-worlds.
I'm inclined to agree with this. You can't sustain a long-form story on that kind of thing. You have to make Superman/Clark a person, defined by who he is and where he's from.
He's a Kansas Farm boy. He's an alien refugee aware of his heritage, but never having truly been raised in it, except for scraps. He's a bit of a dork. He's a guy who loves a girl.
Trying to make him God is all well and good, as long as you have some specific story to tell about that thematically, but you can't maintain a reader's interest for an ongoing series about an ideal God.
>>
>>82786038
All the things you said are wrong.
Suerpman isn't a dork, he is a super smart guy that only acts as a dork.
>>
>>82775603
MAKE HIM EMO AND BROODING AND DEAD
>>
>>82777996

Hi Morrison.
>>
>>82786075
I don't know, I've seen some evidence in Superman comics that Clark is actually a bit of a dork, who becomes more confident when he's in his Superman persona. Also "dork" and "smart" are hardly mutually exclusive.
>>
>>82775603
write him like gandalf.
super powerful being who's purpose is to guide humanity.

He would rather being goofing off but his sense of duty and love of the people compel him to his job.
>>
Alternate universe where hes completely evil or alternate universe like gods and monsters.
>>
>>82785959
Gordon pls go don't you have better things to do
>>
Even /tv/ gets superman more than /co/
>>
>>82781750

Don't worry man its k, touji and his ring will save the day.
>>
>>82786252
Back up this claim.
>>
>>82775603
emphasize that his biggest weakness isn't kryptonite, but misdirection. If he gets tricked, and follows a false lead while the villains plan unfolds, or worse, if he trusts the wrong person and unwittingly uses his powers to help villains, such things should be the main source of conflict, the fear of fighting the wrong fight
>>
>>82777996
MUH ALL-STAR
>>
>>82786001

Honestly, depending on what kind of relatives are visiting, I can see it. You never had that asshole in-law that filled you with dread every time they came visit?
>>
>>82775603
Give him a penis that doubles as a flamethrower.
>>
File: 01-41[1].png (679 KB, 541x700) Image search: [Google]
01-41[1].png
679 KB, 541x700
>>82786075

Dude, Clark is absolutely a dork. He's also smart, but he's a complete dork. And that's why he's adorable.
>>
>>82781926
no retarded shonen tropes please
>>
Give him a gun
>>
>>82787099

Lol at that shit art. What the fuck is wrong with his face
>>
>>82775653
This. I'm rewatching TAS right now, and he struggles to lift things the size of the Daily Planet globe, he can be winded and even exhausted, he's subject to momentum and gets knocked around a lot, and his main enemy is someone who he can't defeat just through his strength, because they have the opinion of the people on their side and own half the city.

One thing I would do to make him more interesting is lower his invulnerability a bit. Bullets still have no effect, but a bomb going off would bloody him some. Basically his skin is almost impossible to pierce, but blunt force can still do some damage.
>>
>>82788060
He's smiling.
>>
File: sd64OhO.png (731 KB, 828x615) Image search: [Google]
sd64OhO.png
731 KB, 828x615
>>82788060
>Lol at that shit art

Good lord in heaven. How shitty can your opinions get?
>>
>>82788060
You're the cancer killing this board
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.