[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it so hard to revive it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: gi-joe-comic-43.jpg (226 KB, 1055x1581) Image search: [Google]
gi-joe-comic-43.jpg
226 KB, 1055x1581
Other comic toy selling franchises like TMNT or Transformers are still healthy despite some really atrocious depictions.

Why Joe fails so much at being sucessful?
>>
>>82753538
Because everyone is trying to make it "serious" and "realistic" instead of just accepting GI Joe was dumb and rolling with it.
>>
War stopped being a fun setting.
>>
It's not okay to love your country in 2016.
>>
To me every Captain America movie feels more like G.I Joe than G.I Joe movies.

Yeah, even CW (before the clash on the airport of course).
>>
>>82753538
First of all, that is one of the best issues of the series, good choice.
Second, the current IDW series that Hama is writing is pretty close to the comfy feel of the 80's and 90's stuff he did. My only beef is that he is focusing more on long story arcs than one shot issues.
Do you mean TV shows and movies? I have no idea why the movies were so bad.
>>
>>82753538

Comic wise it's hard because all of the reboot attempts IDW does are dead serious, and refuse to ever let the Joes win. Seriously, in the entire run of the comic they've had like three victories, all Pyrrhic as fuck. They've never had anything close to a good clean win. At all. And every single character is an unlikable asshole or ends up dead, and I have no idea why.

Look at Hama's GI Joe. They won a lot, albeit there was usually a twist along the path to keep the whole ramshackle story going. Plus most of the cast was fun.
>>
Real American Hero is still ongoing isn't it? I was a few months ago iirc.

The toyline died because it turns out you can't really sustain a brand (or legacy brand I guess?) on just the collector market.

Old Marvel G.I.Joe is still fantastic and that's all that matters.
>>
I didn't watched GI Joe as kid. Is There more to it than "Muh Nostalgia"?
I liked what IDW did with Transformer (I started with Megatron as Autobot).
>>
File: Hot Shots Part Deux.gif (2 MB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
Hot Shots Part Deux.gif
2 MB, 300x200
>>82753538
As possibly the biggest G.I. JOE fan on /co/, I'll try to explain why this will never be a mainstream franchise ever again.

REASON #1: G.I. JOE is legit one of the hardest fucking franchises to write for ever. Out of a bazillion comics over 34 years, plus books, multiple seasons of multiple cartoon series, and multiple films on top of that, really the only thing that still holds up as genuinely EXCELLENT is the Larry Hama comics. And even then arguably only the first 9 or 10 years or so of them. A few of the other comics are decent, but only one writer out of many has really shown the ability to "get" the premise and the characters, and he's a legit veteran with multiple years of combat experience. The odds of finding another writer -- in ANY medium -- with the writing chops plus the life experiences to draw from to replicate Hama's success with the characters is nearly nonexistent.

REASON #2: >>82753548 "Tacticool" doesn't work with G.I. JOE. You want it to be grounded, but "realism" is not quite the right word. The thing that makes G.I. JOE work more than anything else is that it allows for individualism in a setting where individuality is normally impossible (read: the military). It's basically the supporting cast of Aliens if they were modern day black ops special forces American soldiers.

REASON #3: >>82753769 Just try making this in this day and age: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6uKMYYBeA War is now perceived by the majority as ALWAYS "negative" regardless of the circumstances. The military, and the American military in particular, are now seen by the majority as "the bad guys" regardless of the circumstances.
>>
File: war-it-s-fantastic-o.gif (2 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
war-it-s-fantastic-o.gif
2 MB, 320x180
>>82755031
REASON #4: >>82753780 Anything pro-America is now hated by the majority. A franchise called "A Real American Hero" has no commercial potential in an era where the current US president can get elected on a "America is flawed and needs to be fixed" platform. This would have been instant political suicide to even THINK just 30 years ago when G.I. JOE was in its heyday. This political shift among the "leftwing" of that country more than anything has destroyed the franchise and will prevent it from ever having any even remote possibility of being profitable again. This isn't even any current politician's fault, and probably goes back to the beginning of the rise of "social liberalism" in the US in the 90s during their clinton era. I know a lot of people in that country have difficulty hearing this, but they have been seen as "the new nazis" ever since 1992, and the bush era only reinforced that perception.

REASON #5: >>82754279 This really only related to the toyline, but the toy sales imploded because soccer moms won't let their kids have toy soldiers anymore. Todd McFarlane has created the "adult toy collector market" since the 90s, which has sustained G.I. JOE toy sales ever since, but they will never sell to the only actually profitable market (e.g. 10 year and lower boys) ever again.

>>82754583
The cartoon had great characters, shit writing, and lazy animation and production. Best part about it were the intros, which were legitimately 10/10.
>>
>>82755055
I see what you mean.
Nowadays if you just emit a conservative opinion, you get shamed.

You want the fan service of the past ? You are a mal misogystic pigs
You want your gouvernment to actually remove criminal from the street ? You are a supporter of cop violence.

Maybe this will swing back, after all there is a large part of Trump supporter in the USA. This show there is a change going on.

Currently conservative management is replaced by SJW, that explain shit like female thor or black wally.

When the country swing back to the right, pop culture will be fixed. It will take 10 years after the political shift until management get renewed but it will happen.

When the days come, WW2 shooter will be back, sexy comics too and GI Joe will be restored.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.