[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which do you prefer- Marvel's sliding timescale and retcons,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
Which do you prefer- Marvel's sliding timescale and retcons, or DC's Crises and Reboots?
>>
Sliding timescale is pretty retarded
>>
Sliding Timescale is dumb, the universe is well and truly broken in about ~10 years if even that.

Objectively:

Actual plot (e.g MCU, Small comics universes)>real time (e.g original FF run)>Reboots>>>>>>Sliding Timescale
>>
>>82723091
I don't really read much marvel stuff how does a sliding timetable work

Also I wouldent mind dcs reboots if they would just do hard reboots instead of just resesting in universe
>>
>>82726192
>I don't really read much marvel stuff how does a sliding timetable work

it basically means that events always happened recently, DC has a lesser version of it going on between each reboot but Marvels is fucking insanity.

E.g the first avengers run has cap waking up in the 60's and every subsequent cap run subtly shifts his wake up point to [a few years before current date], same with characters like Iron Man, whose origin story is revised every so often to account for the fact that it no longer makes sense.

Punisher too, used to be a viet war vet, now is gulf war, will probably be moved up to afghan at some point.
>>
I prefer real-time aging, e.g. Love & Rockets.
>>
I like DC's smaller retcons of stuff like Infinite Crisis rather than the full reboots as most of those just lead to rehashing old things instead of adding to the narrative in a meaningful way.
>>
>>82723091
i fucking love crises, reboots, timefuckery, and the multiverse. temporal and spatial insanity is one of the DC's best aspects.
>>
>>82723091
I heard someone say 616 time scale is 3 years of real time =1 year of 616, for most characters.

I think it's dumb they won't let magneto move on the time scale.
>Muh holocaust
Yeah it isn't like there wasn't just fucking genocide in Yugoslavia in the 90s. It isn't like there isn't fucking genocide all the time. Dude isn't even a jew, he's Romani so why do they have to push the Muh 6 million?
>>
>>82727736
>fucking genocide all the time.
Marvel could reboot Magneto as a Tutsi in the Rwandan genocide. He didn't realize he had magnetism powers until some Hutus tried to machete him to death.
>>
>>82727736
That would mean writing origin retcons every few years, the very point of the sliding timescale is to avoid doing that.
In the sliding timescale, WW2 wasn't that long ago anyway.
>>
>>82727736
>Dude isn't even a jew, he's Romani
U wot mate
>>
>>82723091
DC Crisises because you can just look them up on a wiki
>>
>>82728179
Unless they changed it recently it he was a gypsy
>>
>>82723091
I like the sliding timescale cause it allows very iconic events to remain cannon. And with Ewing making it in universe cannon it is really fun to think about.

It has its flaws of course, like keeping characters nearly the same age forever (spidey). But with most characters thats irrelevant because of deaths revolving door.
>>
>>82728470
They changed him to Romani when they wanted him to be a villain again but changed him back when people pointed out how fucked it was that Marvel were saying it wasn't ok for Jews to be evil, but those dirty Gypsies can be.
>>
>capeshit
>>
>mfw the Jewish Granby on Rachel and miles said the Holocaust was the worst thing that happened in the history of humanity and no other genocide is in any way comparable
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.