[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we discuss the idea of the animated TV drama? So far Rick
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: maxresdefault.jpg (53 KB, 1360x766) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
53 KB, 1360x766
Can we discuss the idea of the animated TV drama?

So far Rick and Morty, Moral Orel, and Bojack Horseman have all attempted to use drama within their normally comedic structure and writing.

>Rick and Morty
Probably the least interesting of the three, relying far too much on Rick's past and nihilistic mindset when Morty has far more potential as a dramatic figure.

>Moral Orel
Probably the saddest of the three, and the closest to executing a full-on animated tv drama (season 3 hardly being comedic by any stretch). However, due to the show's themes and writing, it did often feel a tad heavy-handed, although some moments (Nature, Numb, Sacrifice, Help, and Honor in particular) were genius

>Bojack Horseman
I feel as if the writers had chosen to make this a full-on drama, it would have been far more interesting, as the comedy in this show is quite subpar. Whenever the drama appears in the series, I feel it's very well-executed, but it's so seldom that the entire show feels like it is blue-balling us with its potential.

I really feel as if the concept of an animated TV drama that doesn't contain elements of action or comedy is close to happening soon and I hope that the utilization of animation allows for writers to explore ideas that aren't possible in live action. With films like It's Such a Beautiful Day and When the Wind Blows being so celebrated, is the idea that impossible?
>>
King of the Hill did it best.
>>
I have seen the first season of Morel Orel and to be honest I don't get the appeal. Maybe it's because I can't relate to a religious family (they are, but in a very light way). Should I watch the other two seasons /co/?
>>
Get used to it. Bojack Horseman blueballs everyone with his potential.
>>
>>82684939
I think the 1st was the weakest season of Moral Orel. It got better in season 2, and shifted tone quite a bit in season 3.

The first reason was fun at times, but also a little "look how edgy we can be!"
>>
>>82684939
absolutely, the first two seasons were kinda eh anyways. It's the end of the second season where shit gets real.
>>
>>82684973
>>82684981
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
>>
>>82684100
F is for Family was getting there. 6 episodes is kind of restrictive though.
>>
>>82685071
I wasn't sure if I was going to like FifF after the pilot. Those last two episodes were fantastic though.
>>
i don't foresee it happening anytime soon but i hope to be proven wrong

that reminds me, i need to rewatch moral orel
>>
>>82684100
>as the comedy in this show is quite subpar
Opinion discarded, thread reported.
>>
>>82684939
If you've seen the first season and basically understand how the show was at that point, then you can skip straight to the end of season 2. The tone shifts completely and it picks up several ongoing subplots from that point on. Pretty much everything before it is standalone stuff that just riffs on the hypocrisy of religious extremes.
>>
>>82684100
I think a feature film has to do it first. Which sucks since most tentpole films today are considered "live action" even while they're 95% CG. But we need a blockbuster animated drama -- 100% animated, 100% blockbuster. It would have to beat Avatar.

Otherwise, the only place I see it happening is Netflix, and I think they're getting close. Though the animation itself is annoyingly cheap.
>>
>>82685471
Anomalisa.
>>
>>82685496
I liked Anomalisa a lot. But it didn't even make back half of its budget. Hollywood doesn't give a shit.
>>
>>82684800
First
>>82685680
So then it's proven that it can never happen and never will.
>>
>>82685728
Not never. It just requires some miraculous lightning-in-a-bottle first, which is a very low probability.
>>
>>82684100
There's anime drama shows.
>>
Drama in cartoons has been around for decades. Remember when the Flinstones tackled Fred's compulsive gambling addiction?
>>
>>82684100
The Maxx is pretty good
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.