[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Describe why you love comics and cartoons. Try saying something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 16
File: Dean.jpg (39 KB, 508x462) Image search: [Google]
Dean.jpg
39 KB, 508x462
Describe why you love comics and cartoons.

Try saying something that isn't "escapism"
>>
>>82593508
>escapism
Extrapolate that to fiction, and realize how limited you are.

Moving on, I was raised watching B:TAS and got to see the second Burton film in theaters as a kid. I was a batfag from a young age, and liked the detective part of his character even though it's often the least shown in more popular media. I also read a lot of Spider Man as a kid, but got turned off during the Clone saga. So these days it's sort of like catching up with old friends and seeing where they've been and reading older stories I missed out on the first time.
>>
I like morals in my entertainment. Watching a lot of HBO programming and such just makes me depressed.
>>
File: Vegeta Finger.png (136 KB, 442x360) Image search: [Google]
Vegeta Finger.png
136 KB, 442x360
>>82593508
Because I do. I don't need to rationalize it.
>>
>>82593508
It's cool as shit and can do unrealistic stuff on a small budget
>>
>>82593508
I like watching fight scenes
>>
>>82593508
I love them because I think they're more emotionally expressive than other forms of media.
>>
Because characters on the page, or animated on the screen can do things we can't, and I enjoy watching/reading their feats. Simple as that.
>>
File: 1450673855709.jpg (33 KB, 578x495) Image search: [Google]
1450673855709.jpg
33 KB, 578x495
>>82593508
Im uninteresting, yet handsome, so I use comics as a "quirky" hobby so I dont kook like a loser with nothing in his life

If I was ugly Id just be another autist who reads comics, which I am, but since I'm good looking it comes off as charming and nerdy, but in a "good" way.

In reality, I can barely talk to women. My only "girlfriend" was a trap, which I was aware of, and he broke up with me for a rich old dude with a fuccboi fetish.
>>
File: powers.jpg (34 KB, 476x145) Image search: [Google]
powers.jpg
34 KB, 476x145
I'm obsessed with superpowers and Comics and cartoon frequently feature them.
>>
>>82593508
I havr dyslexia and reading regular books makes me feel stupid because it takes me 20 minutes to read a page. At least with comics I can get the general idea within a minute. Even then I still struggle.
>>
>>82593508
They take me back to the most innocent, pure time in my life. When there wasn't cynicism or understanding of hatred-- only boundless possibilities and adventure and friends.
>>
>>82593508
I liked them a long time ago for reasons I can't remember and now I can't stop
>>
Because.
>>
>>82594057
This

Id do anything to be a kid again

Literally anything.
>>
>>82593508
I don't like comics and cartoons. Stories that I find interesting just happen to be in comic and cartoon form.
>>
>>82593508
I honestly don't know. I love comics as a medium even more than anything I've actually read. I want to read them I want to write them I want to draw them. I just really really love comics but I don't really know why.
>>
>>82593508
>cartoons
I like cartoons because anything that can be drawn can happen in it.
>>
Because the good ones teach us things. The best fiction is fiction used to educate aND to promote thought. Thats why most new cartoons that are just shit someone spewed out whole he was high arent worth my time.
>>
>>82593942
Same here, realized a long time ago that I've pretty nothing else besides good looks and athletic abilities with shit social skills, plus good comics and cartoons make one hell of a read name one other medium were anything written by Morrison van exist the way he intended it to
>>
>>82593508
i like cartoons and video games because they're fun to me, also because they give me great ideas for shit. live action stuff always bored me, and i hate the news, so they fill "Interest" slot for me.
>>
>>82593508
I don't read comics much, but what I love about cartoons is the animation. As a kid, I loved watching Disney movies because I loved seeing the way the characters moved: I'd rewind and watch scenes again and again just to see how different parts worked, I'd buy behind the scenes and artbooks so I could see sketches and concept art, I'd look for videos showing the breakdown of rough sketch to lineart of a single scene or movement, showing how the artist took a reference and made it into something slightly abstracted but somehow just as expressive and alive. 2D films are, and likely always will be, my favorite kind of animation.

There's something wonderful about taking a mental picture, a concept, and translating it into two dimensions and making it move. Watching the way the artist captures a character in his design, in the way he carries himself, in the movements he makes and the colors and shapes and how he stands in a composition: it's great.
>>
>>82593508
The kinds of stories I like tend to be told in animation. If more live-action was like Brazil or The World's End, that'd be a different story.
>>
File: The Thief and the Cobbler.webm (2 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
The Thief and the Cobbler.webm
2 MB, 854x480
>>82594229
That was beautiful, anon
>>
>>82593508
I just like animation on a technical level. I don't really like a lot of what is produced in the field.

Comics is a much bigger part of me. I think it's the strongest medium for self-expression. I wish I had saved it or could remember who wrote it but I recently read an analysis on comics compared to other mediums and it broke down like, literature requires readers to meet the author half-way and provide visualization for the story, film can provide visuals but is constrained to reality, comics can put exactly what's envisioned onto the page. But I guess I should say I mostly care about comics made by a single person rather than more mainstream efforts.
>>
>>82593508
Imagination, adventure, and nice visuals. I will not watch or read a comic if I don't find it's art appealing.
>>
>>82593764
This but also >>82593779.
>>
I like the surreal elements that are possible with animation. I just really enjoy it as a visual medium that's unbound by physics or reality.

Things like playing with perspective, colour, line etc.

Wander Over Yonder is my jam just because of this. I appreciate it as visual cocaine.
>>
>>82594655
In theory, animated cartoons are better in every way because there's nothing you can do with a comic that can't be done with a full animated feature. The problem is production, that's why many comic adaptations don't surpass the original, even if they could.
>>
I can't with the books, they are so boring to me and i always fall at sleep after 4 or 5 pages.
>>
>>82594655
>I think it's the strongest medium for self-expression

I mean this in the most sincere way but the best proof of this is Chris Chan. His "work" is an unfiltered look into his mind in a way a movie, cartoon, novel or song could never hope to match
>>
>>82593764
There are good comics and good cartoons. I like good things. Nuff said.
>>
I like art, I like discovering inventive ways to be told stories within the margins of 7x11 pages and tiny squares with as little text as can fit in tiny bubbles and boxes.
Two or three imaginative minds working in synchronicity to produce a detailed work, each layer building upon the other and adding their own vision is fascinating to me in both process and finished product.

Also fiction is escapism by nature so that was a retarded caveat that you thought you were being clever with.
But my point remains the same, I'm interested in stories and I am a connesieur of virtually all ways they are told.
>>
>>82595306
>implying comics and cartoons need to be fiction
>>
I have no problem with live action stuff but I've always just been more drawn to cartoons. Don't know why, I just am.
>>
For the same reasons I like film and TV (not that I know what those are). Animation is just a subset of that.
>>
I love to shove them in my pussy
>>
>>82595356
It doesn't need to be, but 99% of it is.
>>
>Comics

At their best, I like comics for being a perfect middleground between the everflowing nature of reality, the POV-intense nature of cinema, the fleeting momentary nature of TV, and the minute timestopping introspective nature of literature.

Comics can do pretty much anything imaginable. There's, I think, an awesomeness in being able to give an audience a specific image of something (which literature can't quite do with words) while still allowing them to bring that the thing motion, power, and life (which is an opportunity robbed of us by cinema/TV). And still, comics offer something unique, given that their layout is incredibly important to their reception. The rise and acceptance of ebooks shows that layout isn't *that* important to literature besides the length of chapters; and there isn't even a real equivalent in film/TV.

Even if you consider comics from other countries (manga included), I feel like comics still have SO many possibilities, that cinema and TV seem old and tired in comparison, even while being younger than comics.
>>
>>82593508

I love the idea that superheroes are a part of a larger whole, something that's derived from so many other sources while being totally original in its own way. A new mythic structure separate from any other, and yet dependent on all other mythic structures prior to it. Wholly secular mythologies growing and developing right before our eyes.

Then there's the patriotism behind it as well. Something that's so utterly American, even as it takes a part in a larger cultural tapestry, woven together by hundreds of different hands, all in the service of a singular vision. To me, that is what America is: many different hands from many different bodies all working together to create one, beautiful thing.
>>
File: 1458704357613.png (150 KB, 326x339) Image search: [Google]
1458704357613.png
150 KB, 326x339
>>82595880
>all comics are about superheroes
>>
>>82595936
He didn't say that.
>>
>>82595936

I didn't say that. I specified 'superheroes.'
>>
To be honest I'm also into live-action shit and literature etc., so I think at the deepest level I'm just into storytelling and the form is second to that.

I guess a huge draw of comics and cartoons is the art and the various inspirations/decisions that went into creating the visual style of things.
>>
>>82595997
>>82596010
The question was about cartoons and comics in general. Anon only talked about superheroes.
>>
>>82596245

I'm aware. Going to state the obvious some more?
>>
>>82596263
Go fuck yourself then.
>>
>>82593508
I find drawings and animation enjoyable to look at. I like art.
>>
>>82596305

Nah. I'm perfectly content to have said something substantial, contributing to a discussion, and not being mad over nothing.
>>
>>82596305
>>82596365
Chill out, you guys.
>>
File: 45875-269x300.jpg (24 KB, 269x300) Image search: [Google]
45875-269x300.jpg
24 KB, 269x300
>>82596715

Perfectly calm, dude.
>>
File: 1425557327981.jpg (15 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
1425557327981.jpg
15 KB, 251x251
>>82593508
When I was a kid, learning that animation was thousands of hand drawn frames with people talking for them I was completely amazed. I remember watching this tape in school about it and it totally drove me to make my own flip books. Eventually I began making comics too. If not for anything else, I watch and read just to examine how the work is done and admire how much love is poured into some comics or cartoons.
>>
File: our-cancer-year.jpg (388 KB, 1195x1500) Image search: [Google]
our-cancer-year.jpg
388 KB, 1195x1500
>>82593508

Comics are words and pictures. You can do anything with words and pictures.
>>
>>82595467
I REALLY shouldn't be turned on by this.
>>
>>82597810
That's some real waste of comics.
Just imagine that big ball of wet paper coming out of her cunt.
Gross.
>>
File: rosianna-cucumber-joke.png (220 KB, 800x420) Image search: [Google]
rosianna-cucumber-joke.png
220 KB, 800x420
>>82597810
You're in 4chan. It ain't that weird.
>>
File: 1336460959513.gif (1 MB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1336460959513.gif
1 MB, 400x300
I like the idea of visiting the imagination of another person. What kind of world does somebody ELSE have in their head? And how crazy can it get?

I want to see things that couldn't possibly exist in reality. If I want reality, I'll get out more. I want to be shown something that I could never see outside my window.
>>
>>82593508
>Comics
I like the formal qualities of movies. I like the experience of reading. I like what comics can do formally by making a single composition out of multiple frames. They also have a broader range of illustrative options than animation, and I do like illustration.

>Animation
Harder to articulate, but only animation could ever make Watership Down into a credible film.

Sorry if this sounds cold and pretentious, but we're talking about a whole damn medium here. What I get out of this shit emotionally varies pretty drastically depending on which thing we're talking about. I read Hellboy and Calvin & Hobbes for different reasons.
>>
File: 1457662620020.gif (1 MB, 499x281) Image search: [Google]
1457662620020.gif
1 MB, 499x281
Raised on Spidey from Sam Raimi to the comics themselves. As well as healthy doses of Samurai Jack, Ed Edd n Eddy, and Star Wars.

My first real memory is my mom wiping chocolate cake off my Spiderman shirt during my fourth birthday.

Its one of the only things I truly understand.
>>
>>82595721
>there isn't even a real equivalent in film/TV.
Watch Catwoman and count out mississippis between cuts. Way too fucking often you won't finish "one mississippi." Try it again with Elephant and compare. You could kind of make the case that editing is to film as paneling is to comics.
>>
>>82598203
Neat
>>
File: image.jpg (135 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
135 KB, 700x700
I don't know. I'm just attracted to the surreal idea of limitless possibilities that could occur.
Anything can be done with a cartoon unlike any other medium.

You could be as detailed as you want or have no detail and still tell a story. You don't even need a story.
>>
>>82594082
Would you stand on one leg?
>>
>>82593764
This and also one of the few things I can talk about that I also know shit about.
>>
>>82593508
I only watch it for the animation because I can't actually enjoy cartoons as an adult anymore.
>>
>>82598623
What cartoons are you watching? I thought the same until I re-watched old cartoons and realized most of the curent ones really are shit.
>>
>>82594005
I'm dyslexic as well, 30 here. To me for reading comics just comes as an artistic view. I'm not harsh on visual comsepts. Just a great view of what is being portrayed in and around artistry.
>>
>>82593508
Waifus
>>
Cartoons are very expressive because cartooning is literally exaggerating. Cartoons and comic books can tease out my deepest emotions like nothing else can because of their raw expression.
>>
File: 1458306183775.jpg (372 KB, 600x849) Image search: [Google]
1458306183775.jpg
372 KB, 600x849
>>82593508
Ass, titties, ass and titties.
Ass, ass, ass, titties and ass, ass and titties.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.