[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /co/, first time posting on this board. Long story short,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
Hey /co/, first time posting on this board.

Long story short, I've been out of capes for about 3 and a half years.

I was reading some DC, and some Image, but most of it was Marvel.

I'm kinda thinking about jumping back in, but I'm not really sure what to catch up on. I guess ideally, I'd be looking for something that stands alone without a whole lot of external context.

Some of my favorite books from around that time were Remender's UXF, Secret Warriors, and Brubaker's short Winter Soldier run.

I read the first few issues of Uncanny Avengers, but I had too many other things on my plate at that time and fell behind.

I was reading some of the New(Nu?)52 books like the Earth 2 Justice League, but I forgot what issue I left off around.

Anyways, if anyone is willing to give me a list of things to look at, that'd be mighty grand, but if I should've just lurked or something I'll leave. I just haven't wanted to get majorly spoiled on anything is all
Thank in any event.
>>
>>82539833
Read Multiversity.
>>
>>82540021
I'll put it on my list.
>>
Superior Foes of Spider-Man
>>
>>82540216
>Spencer
Eugh.

I'm not so sure I can handle another one of his books. Sell me a little on it?

For reference, the whole Spidey getting "killed" only to be revealed that he's not "killed" just an issue later and the whole publicity all around it coupled with the Johnny Storm thing caused some serious whiplash for me and was probably the reason I ultimately stopped worrying as much about keeping up with the times.

I get the vibe it probably wasn't received very well here, but did Red Hood and the Outlaws go anywhere? I think I stopped reading when they were in space.
>>
>>82539833
3 and a half years eh?
You're gonna wanna read Aaron's Thor: God of Thunder. Especially the first twelve issues which are some of the best stuff in comics.
Duggan and Poeshens Deadpool is fucking excellent. The first arc isn't so great but it picks up afterward. Also don't miss Dracula's Gauntlet which ties into that later on.
Superior Foes of Spider-man
X-Men Legacy
If you've been following Loki's development at all since his JiM you should check out Loki Agent of Asgard.
Ellis didn't a really short run on Moon Knight thought you'd probably like.
>>
>>82540320
Superior Foes of Spider-man actually have pretty much nothing to do with Spider-man. Its basically a comedy book about the misadventures of a crew of villains as they double cross each other. Its a fun time.
>>
>>82540320
Foes is the only Spencer written thing that I've liked, it's character driven with a bunch of C listers getting together to form the new Sinister Six and then completely stab each other in the back, it has great pacing and it just doesn't stop for 17 issues
also, some other stuff
Manifest Destiny
Southern Bastards
Kingdom Bum
Black Science
>>
>>82540326
>3 and a half years eh?
Yeah.
>Aaron's Thor: God of Thunder
I feel like I have a few issues in my boxes actually.
>Duggan and Poeshens Deadpool is fucking excellent
Hmm, I've heard a lot of good about it. I think I sampled some of it, but wasn't hooked. Maybe I'll take another go.
>X-Men Legacy
Oh they do more with that? I thought I read the last issue.
I heard something mighty nuts happened with the X-Books and they got shafted really, really hard. Which is a shame cause they've been my favorites since, oh forever.
>JiM
I had been, but I dropped it.
>Ellis didn't a really short run on Moon Knight thought you'd probably like.
Well, I generally do like Eliis. I never finished Waid's DD even though I own all of it. Kicking myself over that, maybe I should do that.

>>82540380
>Superior Foes of Spider-man
Alright you three have convinced me.

>>82540439
>Manifest Destiny
Hmm looks kinda fun.
>Southern Bastards
Good creative team. Might look at it down the line.
>Kingdom Bum
Might be cool.
>Black Science
I own a few issues, I'm pretty sure. Remender was my favorite writer by a country mile.

Y'all have all been extremely helpful and patient. I do appreciate it.

Out of curiosity, did anything ever happen with Songbird and the Tunderbolts, I sorta lost track of all that during the Dark Reign/HEroic Age thing and never bothered to look any further. I think Zemo died or something? I don't mind spoilers.
>>
>>82539833
My go-to answer to these questions is always to look up the book's/character's Wiki page. Yes, it's spoilers but those pages are usually just the broadstrokes.
If you read about a storyline you want to see in more detail there's a reference tab right there to find out what issues you should be backordering.
It's what I used to catch up after I skipped all the late '90s X-Men storyfails.
>>
>>82540727
It's a new different X-Men Legacy volume centered around Legion. If you like it you should check out Spurrier's X-Force, same writer.
>>
>>82540727
>>82540727
Jeff Parker had an interesting run on Thunderbolts starting with the heroic age, it was action packed and had alot of personality, but it heavily featured new characters, guest characters and full on b-team and c-teams that went through a whole time travel saga that had alot of people screaming 'not muh Thunderbolts' and oddly enough the book actually ended up being retitled to Dark Avengers before it was cancelled
some of the core Thunderbolts got their good ends, but Fixer died in a stupid time-travel-killed-his-past-self incident, and Songbird became a full fledged hero
>>
>>82540809
Thanks, I'll be sure to remember for the future.
>>82540976
Yeah I did that when I first broke in, but it seems like the changes in recent years have been so dramatically significant I don't even know where to begin.

>>82541056
Cool, what's the vibe like?

I read the first arc of his XForce, but I got bored pretty quickly. Maybe with some time between UXF and it I might enjoy it more.

>>82541127
Oh that sounds like a ton of fun. I read some random issues of his Red Hulk and while I don't really know if it was good, I really liked it.
>>
File: mzincrediblehulk.jpg (65 KB, 700x933) Image search: [Google]
mzincrediblehulk.jpg
65 KB, 700x933
>>82539833
How about this: You can skip the entire AXIS storyline with three or four spoilers.
Uncanny X Force (surprisingly) with just two.
Secret Warriors was F'ing great, I have both volumes. But unless you're all about the OG Nick Fury it's skippable.
If you do like OG Nick (or OG Thor) you gotta read Original Sin. You gotta. Sorry.
... You don't have any strong feels about Wolverine, do you?
Other than that it's all post-SecretWars All-New-All-Diff relaunches. Bla-bla-bla, start with #1s etc.etc. (there's your restart points)
>>
>>82542411
I was reading Wolverine & the X-Men, I'm not anymore of a Wolverine fan than I am just a general X-books fan, but supposedly those got their shit fucked. I do like reading his books though. When you say I can skip over UXF, do you mean Spurriers? I read all of Remender's and loved it.

Is Original Sin some crazy sprawling event or just a small lower key thing?
I had read I guess the Hickman run of Secret Warriors. Guess I didn't know they had a second volume. The Leviathan arc in particularly was incredibly enjoyable.
>>
File: ExtraordinaryXmen-1.jpg (84 KB, 663x1000) Image search: [Google]
ExtraordinaryXmen-1.jpg
84 KB, 663x1000
X-Men is involved like no other franchise out there. I don't even know where to begin.
Wolverine and the' kinda petered out with the last dozen issues, I don't think you need-need to read what you missed there.
All New X-Men? (most here wouldn't recommend a Bendis book but it covers most everything)
It's a lot of reading too, but it was literally made as a perfect starting-off point.
If you read All New' then you can just skip the new Cyke-focussed Uncanny' run.
3 years? Did you miss AvsX ?
When you start reading current stuff again it's Inhuman this and Terragen that, they explain the broadstrokes in recaps so there's no need to hunt down that storyline. I never did.
The new X-books that came off #1s last are a Storm's school/"haven" Extraordinary', All New'(relaunched from #1 again), and a self-contained Magneto team Uncanny' (relaunched etc.), early softcover collections should be out on all three by now.
UXF: I think you can skip it but if you're a fan of the X-Force characters you'll always miss it.
Original Sin was an all-over "connected" event but you can just get the miniseries collection and it's fine.
Yeah, SecretWarriors. I didn't even give it a thought when it was by the issue but I was given a recomendation and splurged. Worth it...
But it's not connected to anything catchup canon.
>>
>>82540727
If you like Remender, check out Deadly Class for sure. God-tier art to go along with his writing.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.