[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This show is good but wow almost nobody in it can act aside from a few
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6
File: Gotham-Key-Art-Catwoman1.jpg (253 KB, 612x800) Image search: [Google]
Gotham-Key-Art-Catwoman1.jpg
253 KB, 612x800
This show is good but wow almost nobody in it can act aside from a few
>>
>>82445051
But they can?
>>
>>82445051
>almost nobody in it can act

What? the acting is pretty good, i think you are confused, the show is over the top, the acting is not suppose to be realistic, you can tell most of the actors are having a great time.
>>
>>82445333
I think Selena, Barbara, Alfred, Penguin, and Riddler are good....but for the most part it ends there for me
>>
>>82445424
Bruce is damn good, dude. He's playing a spot-on Keaton Bruce Wayne and he comes across as autistic all the time. I think the kid is legitimately the best Bruce Wayne we've ever gotten.

Jim's written as this snarling mad dog whose ready to snap at any moment but emotions anger and confuse him. He's always in cop mode so everything he does has this distance to it. Babs is a broke-brained psycho that's so far removed from reality that you can't expect her to act like a human.

Gotham is a show about crazies so you're not going to really see people's full emotional range.
>>
>>82445639
>I think the kid is legitimately the best Bruce Wayne we've ever gotten.
I feel the same way, and every time I think about it I have to stop for a minute and remind myself that I hated everything we learned about the show up until it came out, and by the last episodes of the first season I was espousing it as a serious contender for one of the top Batman related stories. One of the biggest shocks of my life.
>>
>>82445424
Fuck you Gordon and Bullock are great.
>>
>>82445424
>Barbra
Nigga what?
>>
>>82447511
Oh absolutely. When it was first announced they sold it as a "cop drama" so I expected something like The Shield or the Wire or some shit. Instead we got Burtonbats the Series. It's genuinely one of my favorite additions to Batman media in years.

What I live is how they don't pander to average Batman fans. There's no Joker, and characters like Riddler (who everyone always says is silly) and Penguin (who people plain don't "get") are at the absolute forefront.

I mean we now live in a world where The Penguin has Fangirls.
>>
>>82447540
Babs is amazing
>>
They aren't "acting". They're getting paid to play pretend in the backyard.

And it is glorious.
>>
File: HATTER.png (570 KB, 932x515) Image search: [Google]
HATTER.png
570 KB, 932x515
JESUS CHRIST REALLY?!
>>
>>82445051
>almost nobody aside from a few
It's like poetry
>>
>>82449761
It is only bad out of context because it makes people assume he is talking about the villain Mad Hatter when he isn't. Didn't take less than a few hours for people to start posting this.
>>
>>82449990
>bad

I loved it when they said that shit
>>
>>82449990
Okay, except later in the exact same episode Strange shows that that phrase made him think of using Alice in Wonderland to make another supervillain.

Mad as a Hatter is a real phrase. That's where the Mad Hatter comes from.
>>
>>82445639
>>82448235
I agree about Bruce, and Jerome was my favorite live action Joker.
>>
>>82450173
"""Joker"""
>>
>>82450298
Well yeah, he wasn't really "Joker", but you know what I mean.
He's exactly would I think the character should be like that.
>>
>>82450443
A ginger stereotype?
>>
>>82445424
>Bruce is bad

He had the best moments/lines/deliveries of the entire show.

>I wish you were a monster but you are just a man
>>
Riddler and Penguin are my favorite characters right now. Just so fantastic. The show is so fun. FUCK AV CLUB with their "it doesn't know where it's going or what it is". Why does it have to "be" anything, as long as it is fun to watch it is ayy ok by me.
>>
>>82451305
AV Club sounds fucking horrible.

If anything we've seen that the show knows exactly where it's going. Remember how in Season 1 we get a reveal of what happened in the first episode near the end?
>>
People in /co/ will just tell you that it's camp on purpose, so it's okay to have cheesy acting.
>>
>>82454311
But it's not. They just don't act like wet cardboard like the fucks on Daredevil
>>
>>82454311
Really though, it's best not to discuss anything but comics on /co/. Nobody knows what the fuck they're talking about when it comes to television and film.
>>
>>82450109
I was just learning this in my Chemistry for English Majors class, Hatters used to just play with Mercury and use it to make hats and that shit makes people go insane. Thus people were "mad as a hatter"

Also Gotham is good, OP, great thread.
>>
>>82454311
It is camp on purpose, and it's fucking perfect.
It embraces the silliness of comics, but you're able to take it seriously at the same time.
Gotham embraces silliness even a lot more than Marvel movies do.
>>
File: My reaction to BvS.jpg (227 KB, 801x757) Image search: [Google]
My reaction to BvS.jpg
227 KB, 801x757
I gave Gotham 5 episodes and found it to be very cheesy and boring.
Does it get better after that? Or is /co/ just hyping it up?
>>
>>82448235
>The Penguin has Fangirls
Huh, that's actually pretty cool. I think this is a good show to introduce people to the batman mythos where other adaptations have failed. The Riddler feels just as ridiculous and fun in this show as he does in the comics. It's great stuff.
>>
>>82455452
After the Red Hood episode is when it starts getting good in my opinion
>>
>>82455452
First half of the first season blows, once Penguin starts overtaking the underworld and Gordon starts rallying some of the good cops the show really hits its stride. Season 2 is a whole other show basically, no villains of the week, just several arcs that get tied up in different episodes.
>>
>>82455583
And what episode is that?

>>82455596
Can I just skip to season 2?
>>
>>82455626
>can I just skip to the middle of the movie so ai can see all the splosions without any setup
are you a fucking retard
>>
>>82455626
Well, I suppose you can. You'd miss some really key characterization and things that get introduced in season 1 and paid off in season 2.

If all you watched is Wrath of the Villains, you'd still enjoy yourself though.
>>
>>82455626
I mean maybe? But you'd miss out on stuff like Riddler's start and Penguin worming his way up the chain. You'll just see them in their "prime" without the buildup that makes it great when they snap.
>>
>>82455725
If season 2 is when it becomes watchable, then I'll skip to that. Good television doesn't have this problem usually, but I guess Gotham is the exception? Or is it just not any good?

>>82455785
Since you're nice about it, I think I'll give it until the end of season 1 to get good.
If I end up hating it, at least I tried it, right?
>>
>>82455583
The Ogre is the point when all of the bad things in Gotham stop being someone else's problem and come home to roost for the main cast. Before there was some distance, but after that point the main characters start getting actively hurt. It ups the consequences.

>>82455596
You can't really have the second half of season 1 without the first half though. The second half is all about smashing what little stability Gotham was established to have in the first half. Gotham's bread and butter is that tension.
>>
>>82455450
I don't think it's fair to call it "camp" or "silly." Gotham is an fantasy/horror drama, not a comedy. You aren't supposed to laugh at the characters any more than you'd laugh at Batman himself.

Look at Batman's comics in the 80's- that's the exact mood they're trying to build. No other cape show manages to be such a perfect encapsulation of it's source material's themes and atmosphere while still being it's own thing.
>>
>>82455273
Pretty much. A bunch of people always whine about how good Daredevil is and how, I shit you not, they wish Gotham was like The Wire.

/tv/ brought nothing but cargo cult normie retards completely devoid of artistic taste
>>
>>82455452
You just have shit taste, no cure for that.
>>
>>82455350
This. For some reason people don't realize that.
>>
>>82456037
>Balloonman
>not silly as a cock-eyed groundhog
>>
File: Gotham season one.jpg (147 KB, 450x783) Image search: [Google]
Gotham season one.jpg
147 KB, 450x783
>>82445051
I love this show
>>
>>82455833
>Good television doesn't have this problem usually

I mean, I guess if you're watching completely episodic shows? But serialization means that things happen over time instead of all at once.
>>
>>82456240
Good television doesn't take a half season or more to get good is what I was saying.
>>
>caring about acting in superhero shows

The actors are fine.
>>
>>82455785
This. And it's the same for half-seasons, too.

Season 1 part one builds to part two, which builds to season 2 part one, etc. The only reason to skip anything is if you don't care about characters or the city developing and just want to be hip to memes
>>
>>82456329
>lmao dude who cares about the story in a comickbook just look at the pictures
>>
File: image.jpg (150 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
150 KB, 1024x768
>>82456299
>>
>>82456037
>You aren't supposed to laugh at the characters
I mean, they can do serious scenes well too, but The Penguin is supposed to be funny when he's got that "mom's so proud of me" face every time he mows someone down. All of the Arkham scenes are comedy (The ice cream test). Bruce and Alfred scenes are usually funny, but Gordon and Bullock are funny, and Ed's like if Jim from the office were a serial killer.
>>
>>82456413
I wouldn't know it.
>>
>>82456428

Yeah but there's a difference between laughing at jokes, and laughing because something is ironic wink wink zaniness.

When Penguin makes that couple kill one another then kills them, or feeds his wicked stepmother her butchered children, you laugh with that character because he pulled a fast one over on another character. You're laughing at the characters within the context if the universe they are in.

The Balloon Man, however, is not meant to be silly. It's meant to be strange in-universe, but is treated in a serious manner. People are being hunted down and murdered. The point of that is to set up the ground rules of Gotham's universe- the strange is treated as the mundane.

When a man dresses as a bat and fights a gang of circus clowns, that is completely normal in-universe. When an alligator-man crawls out of the sewers or an actor turns into a shapeshifting pile of clay, that isn't zany and weird and doesn't need the audience to laugh at it. That's just the way thins work.
>>
>>82456037
Is camp noir you pleb, is influenced by adam west and burton's batman
>>
>>82456299
Most television takes like half a season. If a show is say 22 episodes then the first 10 will usually be the characters wandering around solving things people don't care about mostly to show the characters' personalities. AMD sometimes caring about them or what happens in the finale wouldn't come until episode 18. It is pretty naive to think episode 4 is when you'll automatically like something. Also quite impatient (an all too common trait here).
>>
>>82456454
>he doesn't know B5

what a retard
>>
>>82457519
People dont like to pay attention to stuff
>>
>>82458763
>i must read a book for 10 hours before I can tell if I like it
>>
Woa
>>
>>82460252
wut
>>
>>82456037
>I don't think it's fair to call it "camp" or "silly." Gotham is an fantasy/horror drama, not a comedy. You aren't supposed to laugh at the characters any more than you'd laugh at Batman himself.
I know that you know that i know that isn't true.
>>
>>82463759
Are you saying you are supposed to laugh at batman?
>>
I'm giving season one another chance. I'm on the fence so far, but damn I love this guy they got for Riddler. That scene where he talks to Kristine about her surname in the Goat episode, he's got that smarmy know-it-all feeling down pat.
>>
>>82463914
Eddie Spaghetti is a treasure. He and Penguin are definitely the strongest parts of those early episodes.
>>
>>82463971
Them and Bullock were literally the only thing keeping me going through early Season 1. And a little bit of seeing Bicondova be Selina too since I love the whole street rat kid angle.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.