[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did he do anything wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7
Did he do anything wrong?
>>
yes.
>>
>>82403668
Mass murder is wrong.
>>
Originally I thought he was more right than anyone else but the more I think about it the more I realize he was in the wrong. Not utterly so, but that's the point.
>>
>>82403668
He killed his cat. Animal cruelty automatically makes a person an irredeemable asshole.
>>
File: harry-truman-photo-3.gif (292 KB, 536x684) Image search: [Google]
harry-truman-photo-3.gif
292 KB, 536x684
>>82403954
>Implying
>>
>>82403668
How plebs read Watchmen
>Who was wrong and who was right?

How patricians read Watchmen
>How did this element of character/plot/panelling/symbolism/dialogue/color create theme in the story
>>
>>82404401
Humans are animals.
>>
>>82403668

Yes

He false flag attacked the planet

Only Manhattan was right, since he was like "I don't want to live on this planet any more" and he left
>>
>>82403668
It's hard to say.

From most deontological viewpoints, yeah, he did wrong.
Some would say 'no, he had good intentions that makes it okay.'

From consequentialist viewpoints, he did nothing wrong- IF he actually stopped nuclear war.

The issue being- how can we know for sure? Maybe his actions were inefficient and he could have stopped the war another way. Maybe his actions were unnecessary and there would be no war, and he just killed people for nothing.

Extending the timeline beyond the comic makes it even harder to judge.

Personally, I think he did the wrong thing for the right reasons. Surely the smartest man in the world should have been able to find a better way. Hell, a crack team of commandoes seizing control of nuclear arsenals and launching them all into space seems more plausible and controlled than the squid plan.
>>
Give me a straight answer, is Watchmen worth reading or is it just that overhyped as everyone makes it?
>>
>>82404720
>>How did this element of character/plot/panelling/symbolism/dialogue/color create theme in the story

It blew my mind when I first realized the symbolism of Jon's watch maker background and WATCHmen and the doomsday clock. I don't know how I didn't see it before
>>
>>82404765
It's worth reading
>>
>>82404765

It's fucking epic, but despite being only 12 issues, it's quite a lengthy read. Still worth it, but it's not something you can blow through in an hour
>>
>>82404401
This, the asshole sacrifices the one true companion he probably will ever have. He took his animals unconditional love and betrayed it. Irredeemable.
>>
>>82404765

Is it worth reading? Yes, absolutely if you are a superhero comic fan.

Is it overhyped? Also, probably yes, but the fact that some people get into a froth over any criticism towards it doesn't really deny it's quality.
>>
>>82404793
>>82404825
>>82404851

So is it ok to read as my first Moore comic? Or should I read some of his other work beforehand?
>>
>>82404765
I read it from cover to cover while listening to this on loop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59g5R8rwqpY

It was an experience.
>>
>>82404765
You post on 4chan, whether you agree with any of us or not, you can spare enough time to make up your own mind about it by reading it.
>>
>>82403668
yes. Gold tights?
>>
>>82404632
That's not murder.
It was war.
>>
>>82404733
No one gives a shit about humans. Look at Independence Day. That movie killed millions of humans but refused to show a single dog dying in an explosion because they know killing animals upsets people infinitely more than killing random jackoffs.
>>
>>82405258
The rule about not killing pets in movies applies to children as well. Movie producers generally try to avoiding killing things their audience may have deep parental emotional connection with.
>>
File: godzilla USA.png (2 MB, 1988x1555) Image search: [Google]
godzilla USA.png
2 MB, 1988x1555
I think he could have used the money he spent researching Tachyons, paying for the scientists, and creating the alien for something better, like, idk paying some corrupt politican at Russia to stand down, perhaps? Or hire a private team to sabotage Russian military, idk.

Killing millions of innocent people is not right.
>>
>>82403668
Can we not have this thread every fucking day?
"Did ___ do anything wrong" and "___ character did nothing wrong" threads should be a bannable offense.
>>
>>82405348
>sabotage USSR
>USA nukes USSR in their moment of weakness, killing hundreds of millions
What's the next step of your master plan?
>>
>>82405379
What nukes? They put all their faith into Dr. Manhattan.
>>
>>82405379

I doubt USA would proceed with an attack once they learn that Russia is incapacitated. Russia would probably stand down themselves.
>>
>>82405466
Maybe you should read the comic or at least watch the movie before posting.
>>
>>82405472
America was planning on a preemptive strike regardless. Nixon would nuke the shit out of a weakened Russia before it regained the ability to retaliate.
>>
>>82405516
>>82405379
Get Dr. Manhattan to stop the nukes.
>>
I never understood why someone couldn't replicate Dr. Manhattan's accident.
>>
>>82405569
God is American, not Russian.
>>
>>82405483
I did, they state Russians produced a ridiculous amount of nukes in response to Manhattan and America let them because they had Manhattan.
>>
>>82405578

Because it was a freak accident that also relied on someone being autistic enough to put themselves back together.
>>
>>82405714
And?
>>
Yes, he was a cocky dick
>>
File: Aeolia_Schenberg.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Aeolia_Schenberg.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>82403668
He didn't finish the job.
Thwarting a nuclear threat and temporarily uniting the world under one banner was like putting a band-aid on a broken dam.
>>
>there are people on /co/ who think Rorschach was a good person with strong moral values
>>
>>82405855
But JUSTICE, anon! Humanity serves JUSTICE and not the other way round because REASONS!
>>
File: 1461909172838.jpg (516 KB, 700x1275) Image search: [Google]
1461909172838.jpg
516 KB, 700x1275
>>82405855
He was.
>>
>>82405786
It makes no sense for them to Nuke Russia when they'd more likely rely on Manhattan to do something.
>>
>>82405855
He was an awful person but he did have strong moral values.
In the sense he had morals he strongly believed in.
You may not agree with them but fucker placed a lot of value in them.
>>
>>82403668
what was the point of the mutant cat? is it just foreshadowing of the squid?
>>
>>82406654
>He was an awful person

Laurie pls
>>
>>82406626
>it makes no sense
That's an overstatement.
>>
>>82403668
Why didn't he just tell dr. Manhattan to go and destroy all of the nuclear bombs
>>
>>82406654

>In the sense he had morals he strongly believed in.

No he didn't. He was a hypocrite. Did you read the comic?
>>
He did nothing wrong.

For about 35 minutes.
>>
>>82406944
Yes.
How was he a hypocrite?
>>
>>82403668
>Did he do anything wrong?

Possible homosexual. Must investigate further.
>>
File: oldschool-cartoon.jpg (281 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
oldschool-cartoon.jpg
281 KB, 1024x1024
>>82404632
The general consensus was that he was indeed wrong in using nukes. It also didn't help with the fact that the Soviets forced Japan to surrender, not the nukes. Besides, American history is bullshit. The genocide of Native Americans and the indigenous people of Mexico is perfectly fine, but Hitler was wrong. And there's the whole 9/11 thing, but that's a future /pol/ thread.
>>
>>82407079

Did you miss the parts of the book were he never punished moloch for doing illegal shit because he had cancer? Or the part where he supported nuking jap cities because it prevented more deaths than it caused, which is exactly what Veidt was doing?

Rorscach's thing was not being able to deal with things that weren't black and white morality. It's why he told Dr. Blue Dick to kill him.
>>
There would have been literally nothing wrong with glassing the russians.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.