[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wtf is this shit? There are fan animators out there that could
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 9
File: batman-the-killing-joke.jpg (16 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
batman-the-killing-joke.jpg
16 KB, 620x349
Wtf is this shit?
There are fan animators out there that could do a better job with little to no resources?
Fuck it, why not make it an audio drama instead at this point, or release it for free on Newgrounds c.a. 1999 when it fit their standards....
>>
If I recall there was a animated short on newgrounds of the joker's transformation sequence after getting dunked in goop.
>>
What's this meme that Killing Joke looks bad? It's better than previous DC animations.
>>
>>82401491
There are a few bad clips in the trailer. That's about it. One clip I think is a slow-mo of a scene that wasn't originally animated as a slow-mo, so of course it looks awful. The rest looks fine, especially when it will ultimately seen in the context of the actual scene.
>>
>>82401351
Why bother? It'll make more money than the other recent DC "original" movies and even if they went all out with the animation, most people would still just torrent it.
>>
http://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/batman-the-killing-joke-animated-feature-news-discussion-thread-spoilers.5492511/page-12#post-84371772 From Bruce Timm himself

Answer Studio & Moi are not that good to begin with and when Moi is not as good as Answer Studio at their best Moi is much more consistent (but with their last DTV they did (JL Vs. The Titans) they were just as stiff and lifeless as Rough Draft).

When is TMS coming back? Last we seen them is on Superman Vs. The Elite.
>>
>>82401574
>Why bother?
L'art pour l'art?
>>
>>82401491
the animation looks like middle of the road tv episode. animation aside the my biggest gripe is that they decided to go with the aesthetics of the recoloring instead of the trippy original look.

tfw no Bruce's bizzare adventure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_sxhzRDw9M
>>
File: 7lpD7Uk.jpg (345 KB, 1369x1497) Image search: [Google]
7lpD7Uk.jpg
345 KB, 1369x1497
>>82401394
I bet that one had more frames of animation and labor of love put into it.
Jesus, I thought getting Kevin and Mark back together would have been enough to spur on even the most undercrowded and underfunded DC animation crew towards greatness, but what we've been shown so far comes off as an insult rather than something to be exited about.
And it's not just the animation. It's the drab art style, shading and coloring as well.

>>82401550
It's not just the "slow-mo". The other scenes look flat and lifeless, like something you'd see on zombieSimpsons or whatever.
Hardly something you'd put out in honor of an all time classic or to expand on a brand. And hell, even the soundtrack motif they got playing sounded bland and uninspired.
>>
>>82402005
Like I said, I'm putting money down on it looking fine relative to previous DC animated movies once it's seen as a whole. Plenty of other shots from previous DC animated movies look choppy where they can spare it, but they flow well when it counts.
>>
>>82401876
>the aesthetics of the recoloring instead of the trippy original look.

Man, I hate that recoloring so much and Brian Bolland was so full of shit trying to justify it.
>>
File: 200_s.gif (26 KB, 349x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
26 KB, 349x200
>>82402092
Yeah, that's the thing. Animated DC movies in recent years have ranged from just adequate to crap in the animation and looks department. This one looks even worse than usual, and I'd be pointing that out if it was some run of the mill adaption almost no one cares about, but for such an iconic comic, with such iconic voice actors returning for a job they're not likely to work together on again, it fells like kick in the teeth instead of something to be exited about.
This should be on par with Mask of the Phantasm, what we seem to be getting looks like it would have been bellow standards for a free web based flash series in 2003.
Oh well, another nail in the coffin for traditional animated features I guess...
>>
>>82402341
They haven't looked like crap.
>>
Because animation is expensive as fuck and this movie isn't being made to make money. Its being made so the general public continuously remembers that Batman is a character that you should be excited to see.

Its like the COD games having more budget in advertising than in actual game development. This movie is a giant ad for any future batman movies to be released in the not so distant future. The worst thing you can do is be like the new Zoolander movie where everyone who saw the original when it came out already forgot about it when the sequel came out.
>>
File: Batman_Strange_Days_Still03.jpg (87 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Batman_Strange_Days_Still03.jpg
87 KB, 1920x1080
>>82401638
Of course Timm is going to defend it being a producer and all, and it's not like he hasn't been lending his name to things of questionable quality in the last decade or so....
>>
>>82402341
Again.

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/batman-the-killing-joke-animated-feature-news-discussion-thread-spoilers.5492511/page-12#post-84371772 From Bruce Timm himself

Answer Studio & Moi are not that good to begin with and when Moi is not as good as Answer Studio at their best Moi is much more consistent (but with their last DTV they did (JL Vs. The Titans) they were just as stiff and lifeless as Rough Draft).

When is TMS coming back? Last we seen them is on Superman Vs. The Elite.
>>
>>82402528
see
>>82402513
>>
>>82402513
I liked Strange Days though.
>>
>>82402582
Yeah, I kind of accidentally posted it because It harks back to an era when DC animated was a the top of their game and is tied to TImm in a positive way. I wasn't implying otherwise.
>>
>>82402636
Ah, my mistake,
>>
>>82402676
Nah man, I should have been clearer.
Pic related though, what an insult to a great source.
>>
>>82402559
Short answer, Timm did not make things great, TMS did.

Same with Tom Ruegger, TMS episodes are excellent when the other studios are best not to talk about.

Startoons was great however.
>>
File: L5R.gif (945 KB, 550x400) Image search: [Google]
L5R.gif
945 KB, 550x400
>>82402728
Please don't remind me. I think I may need to read All-Star just to get that abomination outta my mind.
>>
>>82402728
Lives up to the ASS name.
>>
File: batmanCatwomanCel.png (650 KB, 800x586) Image search: [Google]
batmanCatwomanCel.png
650 KB, 800x586
>>82402746
In general though I think it all comes down to money. Shoe string budgets and animation studios to reflect that, because who needs blood, sweat and tears talent, determination and work ethic when you have software doing half of the animation for you these days? Not to say there aren't animation studios out there that utilize new technology well, but the digital revolution has in most cases been a detriment to quality rather than a boon, because it makes it easier to cut corners and lower standards, which producers love because it means they can get the product out there faster and for less money.
>>
>>82403070
I know, the films first started at $3.5 million (with First Flight costing more due to TMS' cost) but now are only $900,000 ($500,000 for Moi) per film.
>>
>>82403070
>the digital revolution has in most cases been a detriment to quality rather than a boon
I want this meme to stop.
>>
File: spongebobevolution.jpg (26 KB, 580x326) Image search: [Google]
spongebobevolution.jpg
26 KB, 580x326
>>82403170
Ok then, go into detail in how digital animation is superior to traditional cell animation and the wonders it's done for 2D animated features, especially in the west.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.